Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In-game map discussion

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ariatras said:
    Unless the world is ever changing. Though I fear, the world being separated by nodes. Each node has 6 stages, only real differences, as far as I can tell is where buildings are placed within these cities. But I feel everytime you reach 6, the same dragon will spawn.

I am 100% confident that this will not happen. I believe there will be a huge amount of scripted events that will differ based on the zone itself, the type of Metropolis (Scientific, Military, Economic, Religious) and potentially even the type of racial motif that has affected the style of the metropolis.

To the idea of mapping: let’s be realistic. This is a game, almost everyone is here to have fun, not to approximate real-world scenarios. If people are getting lost and needing to use a website to find their way, because there are no markers on the map, then the game has failed to keep people engaged within the world.

I love exploration, my favourite aspect of a new game world, but I will hate a system that forces me to remember where everything I discover in the game actually exists. Populating the map as you progress is something that should be done, as it will approximate your character’s ability to gain knowledge and remember the world in which they live. Your character’s knowledge, not yours.

People in reality use maps every single day of their lives (I know, I make them). They don’t remember things. To expect someone to do so in a game is rather disingenuous. It might sound cool when you first say it, but think about it a little more and all you are introducing is frustration and providing a large, a real solid majority, of players a reason to stop playing.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I will gladly help out the girls that get lost in the woods.
    My cave will be small but comfy and will provide shelter from wild animals, well.. from most of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well, we know that the major differences can be based on race and by type (Scientific, Religious, etc).
    Types of buildings will be determined by the city leaders, in addition to placement.
    The services available will be determined by they type of node, region of the world, chosen by city leaders, buildings built and probably race.
    The type of boss mob that becomes a threat at Stage 6 will certainly be determined by region - it won't always be a dragon. Might also be determined by race and node type. And, for all we know could be determined by season.
  • Options
    I think there should be an in game map and I am fond of the Fog of War implementation.

A cartography skill could be used to highlight more areas (not magically concealed) in the vicinity uncovered during exploration. Higher skill values could also result in a larger radius being uncovered during exploration.

I know that in previous games that used Fog of War although the terrain and area around the character was revealed the player still had to adventure close enough to a cave entrance for that marker to occur. The cartography skill could increase the distance away the character is from a marker when it appears.

Also if implemented the skill could be used to update other player's maps, for a fee of course. This update doesn't have to clear the Fog of War but instead highlight areas that the cartographer found when the player with the purchased map is within a certain distance.
    ^Self discovery implemented by others

Again, as for a full time job that pays the bills, cartography in an MMO is probably not worth it.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Maybe if cartographers could craft maps that lead to hidden quests, and other hidden stuff that you wouldn't be able to see without such map, even if you were at the location. So you would need a map to actually see a quest marker and accept the quest for example.

But that would kind of "steal" the job from rangers utility skill, so I dunno...
  • Options
    I do not see how cartographers would make maps of something they do not know :P And I hope there will be no quest markers at all in any forms :| 
  • Options
    Hmmm..... maybe ranger cartographers could craft maps to hidden quests...

Tank cartographers maps to hidden enemies....

Mage cartographers maps to hidden passages....

Cleric cartographers maps to hidden dangerous areas...
  • Options
    I've seen a couple games, not specifically mmo's, where they allow you to place markers on your map. Like Conan Exiles for example, say you need to find that hidden cave again, boom place a marker. 

Explorable maps in games such as dragon age are great, it really drops you into the games immersion. 

Along with Guild Wars 2's map system, that was beautiful personally, it makes you explore the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If hidden treasure chests are truly randomly spawned (not locked to fixed spawn points) then cartographer crafted maps that provide clues to these locations might be valuable.

Edit: It has already been confirmed that such maps will exist, and they have also said that treasure hunting itself won't be a profession (quote). So far this doesn't exclude the possibility of a cartographer profession.