Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you want mounts to be handled?

For my diversion, I started a new MMORPG, namely Riders of Icarus. During the first few minutes of the game, I thought back about my BDO and ArcheAge time. Even MMOs I played even before those came to my mind. One question popped up: How will we handle them in AoC?

All those games handle mounts differently.
Those three are the one I remember right now. If you know an additional way to handle mounts, feel free to add it.

1. As item (one per mount)

So, each mount will take an inventory slot in your bag (I think ArcheAge or some other games had this system). You can only carry a limited amount of mounts this way, as you have to decide which mount you grant a slot in your inventory. The item could be dragged into your action bar. Using the item would summon or banish the mount.

2. As spell (summon and banish spell, stored in a spellbook)

You have a separate spellbook for mount (Riders of Icarus has this system, I think Tera has it, too). You can carry an unlimited amount of mounts this way and don't need to decide which mount you want to accompany you. The spell could be dragged int oyour action bar. Using the spell would summon or banish the mount.

3. As companion (use stable to change mount)

Your mount will accompany you all the time (BDO has this system). You have to take care that the mount is not attacked by monsters or other players. Once it dies, you have to resurrect it at a stable. Only one mount can accompany you at a time. If you want a different mount to accompany you, you have to bring your mount to a stable, leave it there and take the other mount with you. Stables would be a local thing, as in BDO.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I am honestly now sure which one I prefer. I can think of pros and cons for each of these options and they are keeping me at indecision.
  • Options
    I really hope that it's closer to the "companion", as you define it.
    I think that players and the environment should be able to interact with your mounts.

I know that there's already different "skins", so your mount appears as different things, but that's just an appearance.

I, for one, would love to know if a player, or players, are adventuring in a cave or area by finding their mounts outside... and the possibilities of those scenarios.
  • Options
    I voted other, but it's more as a companion with upkeep, loyalty and some kind of developing personality. The idea would be for any mount, or possibly other work animal, to become more unique and personally meaningful to every player that owns one. Rather than an impersonal possession used to get from a to b a little quicker.

Following this... It might be interesting to have some way to train or develop your work animals, making it more effective the longer you have it, possibly with breeding options, etc... be kind of cool to focus my game on breeding a few lines of beasts for specific tasks... Build a huge ranch for it... I'd enjoy that.
  • Options
    I imagine they will be something similar to a companion, since they have different types of mounts. (traveling, aquatic, pack animals, and possibly party mounts, looking at the size of some of the silhouettes.)  Being able to switch those out on a whim via spells, doesn't seem to fit with what they're going for.  I mean, if you can switch out mounts, then you could exploit the inventory system.
  • Options
    I would prefer not having a "summoned" or "item generated" mount. Although I can think of lot's of reasons either of them would be better than a persistent mount.
  • Options
    As was pointed out above some of the mounts do look quite large and I think you should have to stable them when not in use. Mounts should be considered as companions, could they also gain food buffs depending what you feed them on, perhaps give a bonus to speed, stamina etc.

There will also be gear for companions, saddles, harness, bridles, barding, packs, saddle bags, horse shoes or such these will all no doubt be crafted and provide bonuses to stats. There is also the possibility of such items being enchanted to provide greater bonuses to a mounts stats.

My hope is that mounts and pack animals are more than just something you summon up and ride around, but a companion you are able to provide equipment for and able to customise in a number of different ways through the gear/equip acquire or craft for them.  

• Options

I would like the idea of being able to have as many mounts in a spellbook or other “game mechanic” structure. But I like the idea that this just shows you how many you have access to. If you want to make one of your available mounts summonable, you need to have this take up an item slot. This means that you will probably only have a couple of your favourites on you.

If you want to summon every mount you have access to then this could be done at a stable, whether it be one at a city or one on your freehold.

I also like the base idea of ESO’s mount upgrade system. You can get riding skill points that you can put into the speed, stamina or carrying capacity of your mount. I would like a similar system put in place in Ashes, but have the points apply to a specific mount, not to ALL mounts you own. This will mean that you can upgrade your favourite mount, but if you get a shiny new one you will have to decide whether the aesthetic difference will be worth the investment – so all about choice and consequence.

As you upgrade your mount it can also take on some physical characteristics (barding, saddle bags, blanket roll, waterskins, etc). These could be customisable so you could have upgrade slots available and it could be your choice what item you would like to be added to that slot. These items could also be crafted, so add another level to the interconnectedness of crafting will all things.

In essence, your mounts could level with you and become more elaborate and personalised. 

• Options
    I like the idea behind having a companion mount, if thats the route they go hopefully creatures can attack it, mechanics like that would prevent you from just running through enemy packs until they leash.
  • Options
    Companion, use stables, and upkeep for mounts you don't use. Otherwise the vanilla wow model would also work. Making it quite expensive to obtain a mount 
  • Options
    Well, since it is confirmed you will get your first mount before leaving the starting area, don't think there are going to be any of those mechanics initially for mounts. For later stages once the add the taming and breeding crafting, stables will most likely be the place where you insert two different ones, let them get frisky, and see what pops out.
  • Options
    Well, since it is confirmed you will get your first mount before leaving the starting area, don't think there are going to be any of those mechanics initially for mounts. For later stages once the add the taming and breeding crafting, stables will most likely be the place where you insert two different ones, let them get frisky, and see what pops out.
    I think that's how my parents did it.
  • Options
    Varkun said:

I think that's how my parents did it.
    Sure that is the image we have, but who knows, could have been more like this.
    Image result for eyes wide shut gif
  • Options
    A YES to stables for me! Let's be realistic and put our gorrila/moth mount into stables. Little things like these will help with the roleplaying aspect that players crave.

UnknownSystemError said:
    U.S.E, stables don't have to only be for breeding, they should be used to contain our mounts! Then we could check there regularly and feed or pet or play with them (if they add these) to increase our relationship. Bonding through riding them was already confirmed, but I want to treat them like a pet, as I feel they'll be much more useful and present with us. 

Parking my mount outside a cave just like I would do with my horse in Skyrim... that would be great.
  • Options
    I didn't say stables wouldn't be used for that purpose, just that since you will have access to mounts well before you have access to a freehold or city, the mechanic for summoning and calling mounts won't be dependent on it initially.
  • Options
    ....by their reins! :-P
  • Options
    I did not realise we would be getting mounts so early in our progression.
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    I did not realise we would be getting mounts so early in our progression.
    Yep, direct quote from the big man. First mount will be gained before leaving starting area. Was in answer to someone complaining about them selling skins in the KS/Summer being misleading.
  • Options
    Well one thing I hope. That there will be ranch type freeholds, and from there you can breed mounts to use and sell.
  • Options
    Granthor said:
    Well one thing I hope. That there will be ranch type freeholds, and from there you can breed mounts to use and sell.
    There will be stables you can put on your freehold.
  • Options
    Sivanna said:
    Granthor said:
    There will be stables you can put on your freehold.

Yes, but can you breed them and make more is the question?
  • Options
    Freehold stables could be a good way to show off your collection of rare and nice looking mounts as well, if you are able to display them SWTOR style.
  • Options
    Granthor said:

Yes this has been confirmed you will be able to tame animals from the wild and cross breed them to obtain more desired traits. This will be done for mounts and pack animals and possibly live stock for freeholds and then you can sell your creations so to speak.
  • Options

One thing I use to do back in my UO days, I would go out and tame a ton of horses, then take them to the town center and set them up for sale by the bank. I could control about 10 to 12 at a time, and I always sold them out.

In AoC I hope we can take our mounts to town, and put them up for display to sell in the market. have a setup in the middle of everything, and have a set number of mounts you want in there to sell. It's one thing to sell them from your freehold, but another to sell them in the middle of the towns and cities.

• Options
    I didn't say stables wouldn't be used for that purpose, just that since you will have access to mounts well before you have access to a freehold or city, the mechanic for summoning and calling mounts won't be dependent on it initially.
    @UnknownSystemError Could also render your mount invincible until the player reaches level 10 or so - by then, there will be nodes developed! ^^ Further more, a stable must not be a stable, but could also be a wooden trunk or other things the developer design that would already appear at the encampment level of a node. :smile:
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Since each mount is unique, with it's skills and so forth, I believe the best system would to have stables to store your mounts.  However, it would be nice to be able to have multiple mounts / types.  So you would get an unlimited amount of stable space, or you would just walk up to the stable and choose which mount you want to pull out,(no matter which stable) or BDO style, different mounts in different stables.  Or you could have Pets / Mounts tab, that just collects all your mounts each separate due to different skills, but this doesn't seem that it would fit within a breeding system.  But I do think the stable goes more in line with how they imagine AoC to be, more realistic, no fast travel.  It would also be interesting if mounts are in stables , viewable to all, if they could be released or killed off to make room for the higher teir mounts.
  • Options
    What's that in my pocket?
  • Options
    I grew mine from an egg is it not the cutest thing ever  <3  
  • Options
    I'd want a spell/ability that summons a specific mount from your stable (you would set the default mount at the stable), then you could augment said ability with skins from the store/kickstarter etc.
  • Options
    I like the companion idea. I would also think it would be incredible to add two flavor accents to it. One, when you enter a place that riding is not possible, ie... a dungeon, the mount stays outside waiting for you. Which means if you exit the dungeon somewhere else, you may have to go find your mount. Two, extra storage and inventory on the mount. Which leads to the planning stage before going into a dungeon where you will be separated from your mount and the equipment they hold.
  • Options
    I'd prefer a system similar to BDO where you have to use stables to store and retrieve mounts.