Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you want Legendaries to be Found and balanced in Ashes?

Just like the title suggests, how do you think Legendary items should be found do you have any cool idea's on how some may be found?

What type of Legendary items should there be?
 Ex: Steven Sandals ( Alpha Zero)

What do you guys think about class specific Legendaries do you think we should have them or not? I think this could be a cool topic to discuss and maybe even theory-craft a bit. So Let me know what you think about the ideas mentioned above.

Comments

• Options
    Legendaries should be found from long, difficult, obscure quests or from a world boss that spawns in a max level node after a lot of conditions are met. I want legendaries to be incredible rare to the point that there is only one of each legendary on the server. Once one person gets it no one else can get it unless that person loses it from corruption, sells it, or trades it.
    I don't know I feel about class specific legendaries. Me wanting only one of each legendary in existence at a time would mean that once one mage gets the mage legendary no other mages can get it. It might be a cool idea when it comes to notoriety. Everyone will know the one mage who carries the legendary staff that shoots massive fireballs out of it for no mana cost (totally made that up btw). 
  • Options

I like the idea of Legendary items (of any kind) with a big caveat - how they're obtained. EQII implemented class specific legendary weapons that, at first, were obtained via raiding. And, in my strong opinion, that caused the break-up of more friendships and guilds than any other single factor.

The problem was that the raid zones were so difficult that only dedicated raid guilds could do them (and sometimes not even then). Certainly, these zones were beyond the capability of small guilds or friends/family guilds. So a couple of things happened.

One, Raid guilds would charge non-guild raid members a hefty fee to raid with them so that they could get their class weapon. Two, people started leaving the guilds they were in so they could join a raid guild resulting in hurt feelings, guilds falling apart, etc. My guild was one of those that imploded.

So, if there are going to be legendary items, how they are obtained is crucial. It needs to be in a way that anyone can potentially get the item without having to be in a large guild (thru' quest lines for example).

• Options
    @dabudo you played eq2 as well? I mean yes you had your individual class "fabled" then went to a mythical" but they also had Mythical items for server firsting raid content ever since like splitpaw expansion. Not to mention Mythicals that dropped from Avatars.

I guess I was on the otherside of the raid guild fence, my guilds (Onyx, Darkhand, Purity) never had issues clearing Veeshans But I can see your point. I think it should be a mix of both, some through crafting, some through raiding, some through exploring and some maybe through questing. But they said Legendaries item will be 1 only per server just like Eq2. With the "Mythicals" that dropped from raid content for it being a server first.
  • Options
    I endorse the idea that it should be a hell of a challenge and not necessarily up to the RNG god. However, I really wouldn't advocate that it be tied to raiding, or at least not exclusively to raiding. This is as much a PvP game as it is a PvE game so there'll be those with 0 interest in raiding.
  • Options
    By what is happening in the world. For example if on one server a node wakes up a Dragon ( I know dragons are overused but could not think of anything better.) by mining minerals and getting too deep into the mountain and the dragon would start destroying their node and lets say they ran and after that imagine in like 5 months when the people live somewhere else. Somekind of race would start raiding their node and they would try to investigate what is going on and it would lead up to killing that dragon and after that dragons death an item would apear in its lear where they first have woken him up but the dragon would be killed in the node and in the lair there would be like a legendary bow of the ferfians crusade which was an elite group long time ago before they left the world of Verra that would specialize on killing dragons but only one player would be able to get that item and that would be the first one to find it. Keep in mind the storyline that led to the dragons kill will be ended when the dragon dies so there would be no quests telling you of the bow or to go to its old lair.  
  • Options
    I like that idea of a mix from raiding the boss and going back and exploring the world and finding that legendary item where the dragon was first found interesting.....
  • Options
    I did understand that a crafter would be able to make items as powerful as dropped items. trough research and skill. so I don't really think the legendary items will be that rare after a while. but maybe they will be for start and you could ask a lot of gold for them. it would be a really good investment for the crafter to buy those legendary items research them craft similar items and sell them on for profit.  that is how I hope it will work. and I thought that all weapons and gear will get damage and their true use. so I don't know if a crafter  would be able to fix those legendary weapons if they did not research them. also withe the world ever changing I hope their will be a steady flow of new legendary stuff.

hope this makes any sense. English is not my native tongue.  :) 
  • Options
    First off all, legendaries should be one of a kind.
    There should really be only one "Hammer of Ragnaros" And as such, make it exceptionally difficult to obtain, reference it in in-game lore. Having it have almost a mythical status. Make the requirements be server side (If that is possible) so the path to an item cannot be datamined. 
  • Options
    SWTOR had a similar system used for deconstruction crafting. You could take different items and deconstruct them with a really low chance of learning the schematic on how to make them. You would have one or two people that had really put the time into crafting who would roll the dice and take something that was a really rare drop and try to learn the recipe. If successful you could make a killing because you would be the only person producing that BiS part for awhile. Then they increased the chances of a crafter learning those recipes and allowed people to have a chance to learn not only from dropped items but crafted also. So the more of an item you made, the more people could take their own chances on learning it, then make their own, cutting your market further.
  • Options
    gundel said:
    @dabudo you played eq2 as well? I mean yes you had your individual class "fabled" then went to a mythical" but they also had Mythical items for server firsting raid content ever since like splitpaw expansion. Not to mention Mythicals that dropped from Avatars.

I guess I was on the otherside of the raid guild fence, my guilds (Onyx, Darkhand, Purity) never had issues clearing Veeshans But I can see your point. I think it should be a mix of both, some through crafting, some through raiding, some through exploring and some maybe through questing. But they said Legendaries item will be 1 only per server just like Eq2. With the "Mythicals" that dropped from raid content for it being a server first.

I was in Explorers of Legend when class weapons were implemented. Great guild, great people, that unfortunately could not deal with the pressures of getting a class weapon.

It never bothered me that raids provided superior rewards/gear. Greater the risk, greater the reward. (I really liked that EQII eventually made raid zones with different levels of difficulty and corresponding rewards). Server first, one item per server, that sort of thing, is fine.  What can't happen, imo, is having something like a class weapon that everyone wants, but only a few can get because they happen to be in a big raid guild.

• Options
    @UnknownSystemError im not apposed to that system it seems kinda cool, since the more the item floats around the more that market will eventually sort of even out. That's a interesting form of crafting that would be sort of cool to see implemented. 
  • Options
    Legendary should be just that legendary, they should be items that you see depicted in carvings on the walls of dungeons, you read about them in musty old tomes, they should have context in the world. Hints and clues should suggest at their existence heroes long turned to dust who carried mighty weapons. 

There should be a great amount of lore that can slowly be uncovered about each legendary and as more is revealed hints suggest that perhaps this mighty item may still exist just waiting to be claimed by a hero worthy of its legend. Not easily obtained it should require a great deal of effort to obtain, there should also have to be certain conditions met within the world before information comes to light, thus different servers may not meet the requirements and thus no information comes to light.

It will be interesting to see how legendary items come to light and how they will differ from normal items, fun times ahead. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    As overpowered as World Items in Yggdrasil/Overlord? They can override immunities, and some of them can force the devs to rewrite the magic system (this one was probably used in the Overlord story, by someone who came beforehand - like 600 years ago, to force the New World to use Yggdrasil magic).
  • Options

I dislike the idea that legendary items are unique. I think that creates too many problems for an MMO with tens of thousands of distinct players on a server. I am fine with maybe only 20 or 30 people (or even less) on a server having the time and will to seek a legendary. I just don’t want them to be unique – to have one person gain and prevent every other person from achieving the same, no matter what happens in the ensuing years.

There has to be enough out there to excite people with the lure of ownership – a single item in the hands of a single player will likely never be seen by the vast majority of people.

Incredibly rare, sure. Incredibly difficult to ascertain, definitely.

I prefer legendaries be gained through a combination of all aspects of the game. They can start in multiple ways (a basic quest, an exploration discovery, a raid boss kill, a pvp goal, etc). I would like all legendaries to exist as part of a long quest chain that would then take the player through all other parts of the game – requiring a raid, some exploration, some gathering, some pvp, some dungeons, some crafting. 

This then removes the ability for any player to cry about how they are “forced” to do something in order to get their legendary. Every player will be “forced” to participate in every aspect of the game so it will be a completely level playing field.

I would envision that it would take many months to complete the entire chain and then have either an event or have a Master Crafter produce the weapon from the pattern and all the rare materials that have been gathered through the quest line.

I think that the legendary should become more of a community challenge. I can still remember being a part of the effort to get the first Windfury for the tank in our guild. This was 10 years ago (and my memory is less than stellar) and I can still remember the majority of the quest, and the final world event boss fight. These are the memories that I would like the legendaries to create in Ashes – moments and experiences that will resonate throughout the years.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I would like all legendaries to exist as part of a long quest chain that would then take the player through all other parts of the game – requiring a raid, some exploration, some gathering, some pvp, some dungeons, some crafting.

That might not be a good idea. People who are master crafters probably don't pvp or raid as much. And vice-versa. And a master crafter probably gathers on a alt, if at all.

Then yeah, only 20-30 people per server would get them, the people who are 24/7 players and who also happen to do everything. And somehow can do master crafting and master gathering on the same character (they said you'd have to specialize).

I do agree with the more-than-just-1 thing, but not this.
  • Options
    I would like all legendaries to exist as part of a long quest chain that would then take the player through all other parts of the game – requiring a raid, some exploration, some gathering, some pvp, some dungeons, some crafting.

That might not be a good idea. People who are master crafters probably don't pvp or raid as much. And vice-versa. And a master crafter probably gathers on a alt, if at all.

Then yeah, only 20-30 people per server would get them, the people who are 24/7 players and who also happen to do everything. And somehow can do master crafting and master gathering on the same character (they said you'd have to specialize).

I do agree with the more-than-just-1 thing, but not this.
    It plays into the community aspect of it. You might not be the Master Crafter who makes it, but you take all the ingredients gathered on your long quest chain and the Master Crafter either crafts the final piece or the sword to which all the other ingredients are applied in the final step of magically imbuing the sword.

So you have to participate, or interact, with every aspect of the game. You might not be a gatherer, but some of the ingredients you need are gatherable. That kind of mentality. 

There would also need to be things gained from a raid - but you aren't doing that raid solo. 

The quest chain might be yours, but you require either the participation of others to fully complete, or at the very least interaction with other players - simply because you can't be a Master Gatherer and Master Crafter on the same character.
  • Options
    I'd like to see them come in several ways. 1) Raid boss drops (very rare % or 1 time per server), 2) Crafted via very rare recipe, 3) Won in tournament for example and server wide 1 v 1 arena type tournament, 4) Found (in a handpicked spot in the wilderness devs have chosen perhaps with some traps/riddles)
    5) Epic quest line 

With that your PvE,PvP,Crafters, Explorers and general populace can all potentially get their hands on one doing the things they love. I would like to see every class have an legendary weapon and every weapon type have a legendary weapon as well. 
  • Options
    Just as a thought how about legendary crafting tools that were used by master crafters in ages past that could be uncovered. It could provide a bonus to the crafted item, or perhaps it could be a cosmetic thing that gives the crafted item a cosmetic effect instead.

Something for those who are more craft focused to have something to possibly possess.
  • Options
    Yeah I really  would like Intrepid to allow crafters a chance at least reforging some of the legendaries if possible 
  • Options
    I like some of the ideas in here very much. I love the idea of legendaries in the game, but I agree with some others in that they shouldn't be unique. 

Maybe we could have legendaries, but also have a couple of truly unique items. Just a handful that are unearthed over the course of the history of the server when certain criteria and events occur.

And if someone had a unique item but didn't log on for a certain period of time, that item would be secreted back into the world somewhere. Kind of like the One Ring finding it's way back into the world.

I agree that crafters should have a hand in the creation of legendaries. It was cool in WoW to see someone's name on the Hand of Sulfuras. Like @Bajjer said, maybe it would be like that and the crafter would make the item that would be transformed into the legendary once all the other criteria were met and ingredients gathered.

Kind of like the saying of "it takes a village to raise a child". It will take the whole community to get you that legendary.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

World Bosses

World bosses spawn time could be between 5-10days. (random timer)
    I would think those Legendarys should drop from World bosses on MAX level where you need at least 15-20Players to slay it and afterwards it could drop but with no guarantee like only with 2% or less (with the difficulty of a group/raid that want the item too or maybe a personal looting system for those bosses)

PvP season rewards

Also i think it would be great as an reward for an PvP season for example end of season XY the first 5 or 3 place´s will be rewarded with a crate that contains a great number of items like this

______
    guaranteed PvP mount ( Maybe each season a different mount like WoW does it)
    + one of the items below
    Legendary 2%
    Epic Item 30%
    Gold amount 50%
    Fashion Item 50%
    Rare Crafting Mats 70%
    ______

Whats your thoughts about this idea?

World Quest

Also what about a very long Wolrd Quest(WQ) that takes you back to alot of places maybe with some kind of riddles you have to solve to continue( but with a riddle pool) so not everyone is getting the same quest and you need to use your brain and not only google it. At the end of the WQ that takes serval hours or days if you need time for the riddle you will be greatly rewarded with an ingame Title and the Legendary item.
    BUT the quest will be only available during a rare event that is only up for 3Days?
    and the Quest appears only every 4Months(total of 3 a year than) so you cant spam those quests and the time amount between them is not to big and not to small?

Unique Instances

***** First of all an explanation *****

You need 5 different fragments and each player needs one of it so that at the end all 5 fragments are existing.
    Those Fragments can be dropped by a Monster with 5% chance. (Soulbound to prevent botters from farming it and sale them on the market)

** ?! It can be crafted but this will be very expensive ?!(maybe crafteable?/Mob drop?)
    If you could craft it you would need to drop it from a World boss first with a 5% drop chance or just buy it from the auction house with alot of gold.
    To craft the Fragment you will need a few very rare materials. **

Dungeon Limited per week with 1 entry ( could be extended to 2 or 3 times a week)

(im thinking in this case of a group with 5 players)

What would you think about an unique instance where you need 5 parts of a fragment to open the portal. If you want to open the portal each one of the group needs to talk with that NPC that will check your inventory for ONE PART of the Fragment.If each group member got a different fragment youre allowed to enter. After you entered the fragment will be consumed. and you can ONLY teleport inside the Instance with the fragment in your Inventory.

After the portal is set up you cant change the group like kick or invite other players till the instance is clear (only a player himself can leave the group) to make sure you cant get scammed. ( we all know there a fools out that will/want to try those tricks)

And at the end of this instance there will be a boss that actually can drop an legendary but also again with no guarantee and in this case maybe only 1% or 0,5%
    so if youre lucky there will be a drop but than you got 5 players battleing for this one if its fit the class.

I hope everybody is getting what i meant to say hehe :b
    Im sorry if my english isnt that well but i hope its good enough to understand.

Feedback is welcome and i would appreciate it :)

• Options
    @seratox Im not sure, giving Legendary for PVP seasons because When I think of Legenderies I think of a lore and game-play related (quests/raid) rather than just PVP. They sort of backed that information by saying No pvp gear will be in game, which I think means no specific legenderies will be given through PVP. (Especially since Military node will give the top player the ability to become Mayor etc I think thats enough power/ incentive)

I really like the idea of having quests and having everyone participate in creating legenderies making a master crafter reforging a legendary weapon of old could add a really cool dynamic. Though I am not sure that everyone should be given the opportunity to obtain a legendary item. I sort of believe if everyone can obtain it makes it less special, less of a "Legendary Item" 

So I guess my question would be rather, would you like to see multiple people have the same Legendary or Only one Legendary item that can be achieved through rare drop rate, or epic quest line?

• Options
    Mythical - Could be one of a kind based on tournament winner or some unique circumstance,  not over powered but unique in name and look. We want to be careful of giving a small amount of people too much power over other players. But having a uniquely named Item and skinned Item with maybe slightly better than Legendary grade could be fine.
    Legendary - Not one of a kind but extremely rare or Extremely difficult to obtain items.
    Epic - Special class line quest that can grow as you progress the quest line.
    Rare - Rare items.
    Common - Basic Common Items

How to obtain: As loot gets to a higher grade it should be more of a challenge to obtain, this should be done through various ways Quest, Raids, Crafting, Tournaments, Lore Scavenger hunts etc. There should be various ways to earn these items, that allows people in all aspects of game play a chance to earn them.

Epic Class line hell there could even be Epic profession line. These could be items that progress as the player progresses in the game.

Luck and exploration. It should be a ridiculously low chance and I do mean ridiculously low, that a person could get a legendary or rare item from a normal mob, crafting something,  by exploring some random area and being the first to find it. This will encourage people to explore the world more thoroughly. It will give the sence of excitement and exploration through all aspects of the game cause you never know where you may find a gem of a treasure doing almost anything. This is an element that has been missing from games for a long time. Where people just go for doing very specific things. Having a ultra low chance of getting something special from what could be considered a normal or even boring aspect of the game could lend to a even more level of excitement that anything is possible in this game. 

Lastly if some one earns something Mythical or Legendary they should be able to take it with them when they cross servers, I only bring this up because I have seen some posts where people wanted to restrict this. When someone has earned something especially the harder it is to get they should be able to retain it if they want to.

• Options
    I think legendaries should be one of the kind but I'm conflicted between those items droping in pvp and players keeping the items. I'm not sure how to keep the balance since the player worked to obtain the item but should they be the only one to have it? I'm seriously not sure.
  • Options
    gundel said:
    Though I am not sure that everyone should be given the opportunity to obtain a legendary item. I sort of believe if everyone can obtain it makes it less special, less of a "Legendary Item" 

So I guess my question would be rather, would you like to see multiple people have the same Legendary or Only one Legendary item that can be achieved through rare drop rate, or epic quest line?

Everyone should have the opportunity to obtain a legendary, but very few people ever should. This shouldn’t be gated behind an arbitrary item limit but should be up to the effort that a player is willing to expend to gain the item. It should be bloody difficult to obtain a legendary, so much so that the majority of people either don’t even consider it, give up somewhere along the way, or it takes them a year to complete.

If you make legendary items unique you remove the incentive for any other players to care. Once the item is obtained and none of the other thousands of people on the server have any chance to obtain it, then you have demotivated all those people to care about that item in any way.

Imagine someone seeing an awesome shield and asking “wow, how do I get that?” and being answered with “you can’t, this is the only one in the game”. Now instead think about the answer being an epic quest line involving many aspects of the game and people will be interested to explore this content and it all gets people spending more time in game – which is what everyone wants.

In Ashes these items will likely not be soulbound (not sure about legendaries, but other gear won’t be) so they can be sold or traded. So, yes, maybe more than one person could have the chance to own this item throughout the life of the server, but I have a feeling that once someone owns one, they won’t be letting it go.

If legendary items are confirmed as unique, I will cease to care entirely about this aspect of the game.

Over time, as the server matures, more and more people will obtain legendaries. This is just the natural progression of a server. New content will be released and new legendaries unearthed and this will cause people’s focus to split. Not as many legendaries will flood a game as I think some people expect. If it is made arduous enough, the majority of people will settle for something a little less than legendary.

But think about that in respect to legendaries being unique. If one is obtained in the first 6 months, no one on that server for the next decade is going to have a chance to see that item. To me, that is plop game design. You want to excite people, not make them apathetic.

I won’t jump on to the legendary treadmill unless the item suits me to a tee. 

• Options
    @Bajjer See I find Legendaries to be a specific Item a singular item that one player can achieve. I agree not everyone, and only a specific few should ever be able to achieve said item. (I believe everyone has the opportunity to get a legendary item, everyone who logs on till the item is found has an equal chance imo.) Once that item has been found its been claimed. 

I think the opposite when it comes to 1 Item for that server, I come from a game where this was a common occurrence. It made people really envious and created a server wide story behind it. I don't see it being a negative thing. Like you said new and more Legendary items will pop up in the game throughout time. But the problem multiple games have is when Legendaries ( Like WOW) become an RNG and lose all meaning when anyone and everyone can obtain it. 

I see your point in stating that an epic quest line may lead you to a legendary item that takes large amounts of time to complete. It would motivate people to do it, But I also believe then the item is still is not a Legendary item. It becomes something top players or high tier players will grind for to achieve and it will lose its meaning as being a Legendary item. 

Steven I believe stated a mix between the two already, saying that some will be only 1 per server, and some might be quest-line based. So its nice to see maybe a mix of these items at play. 

I Think when you limit the availability of an item it means more. 
  • Options
    Bajjer said:
    gundel said:
    Though I am not sure that everyone should be given the opportunity to obtain a legendary item. I sort of believe if everyone can obtain it makes it less special, less of a "Legendary Item" 

I won’t jump on to the legendary treadmill unless the item suits me to a tee. 

That last sentence pretty much sums up my thoughts too, if a legendary does not suit me I will not bother to obtain it, not that obtaining it would be any easy task in the first place.

Back in vanilla wow when I saw someone with one of the legendary weapons it filled me with a sense of awe, I understood how much work had gone into obtaining it and not just by the individual but a whole guild of people behind them. I was never filled with envy or a sense of why cant I have that, but more how cool was it just to see such an item.

I do wonder if people who have come to mmo's in more recent times will even appreciate what the term legendary once meant with some gamers out there having such an entitled attitude towards games now. Time will tell if IS can put the legendary back in legendary, I hope they can.   
  • Options
    @gundel Just differing points of view.

I just find uniqueness to be the wrong fit for a game with tens of thousands of people playing in a shared space. I've not played a game that had unique gear items so I don't really know how I would feel if I saw someone with one. 

I'm just theorising that seeing it, with the knowledge that it was the only one to ever be seen in the game would immediately make me think "meh". Whereas if I had a chance to get it too, but I had to spend the equivalent of 6 months play to do so, then that might just send me, and my friends/guild, on an epic quest line to create that story.

How many people do you think will spend 6 months attempting to gain a single item? 10%, 5%, 1%? It won't be high, I can tell you that.

I do agree that RNG is poop. It was amazing to help my tank get a Windfury, but it was a massive pain in the butt to see three left bindings drop in a row, all the while we were waiting months to see a right. 

I would prefer the effort is player generated, and a combination of difficult and time-consuming content. Even artificial time gates are fine for me (eg. you have to wait 3 weeks for a potion to mature before you can apply it to progress in the quest). 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Either way, I'll help my friends/guild to do whatever makes them happy, even if it's a treadmill I won't step on myself.

If they do end up being unique, then I hope that they are spur of the moment drops. I hate the idea of 30 guilds working towards gaining that Legendary Staff only to be disappointed when it is claimed by one. That is a large amount of disappointed, pissed off people.

@Varkun I know that a lot of people have preconceived ideas, many of them negative, of how MMO systems don't work based on the current abysmal state of the MMO genre.

I see it constantly on the forums, here and elsewhere, in media (youtube, podcasts) and on discord. People are trying to reinvent the wheel, instead of asking why the current wheel is made of faeces.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of the wheel, you just have to use the right materials. 

• Options
    I personally would like each legendary to be unique but there should be enough of them that a decent amount of people can have one just not everyone

Would like to see some that have a downside to using them as long with the upside of using them

Would like to see then tied into the lore in that it takes knowledge of the game lore in order to actually find them