Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rush or enjoy . Be honest

Comments

• Options
    Sora_NGNL said:
    One thing that bothers me everytime i play a new mmo is that i feel kind of a progress presure. This feeling comes a little if i play alone and is very strong if i play with friends cause it seems to me that all what people care in a mmo is endgame content. When i played eso first time solo i spent like 30 hours in the first zone to look at everything and talk to the npc's and just to get that feeling of immersion i love. Soon as i join other players dungeons and raids get on the board and they take me in a group and try to rush all content fast as possibke to get my stats up. My solution so far is that i make 1 char to be my roleplay char and others to be fast usefull in raids. To be fair most times mmo leveling content these days is totaly boring and exchangeable and in that case its just normal to rush it. But there are some mmo's that offer good storys.

Now if ashes of the creation is like its told to be every story will be diffrent and i will miss something as a roleplayer everytime i rush content with one of my characters. So if i join a guild right at the start they have to be aweare that i will take my time reading all dialogues and sometimes just enjoy the view. 

Now i would rly like to know if someone has similar feelings and how you will play your first character in ashes of creation ?
    I like to dive in head first, forgetting the concept of sleeping and eating, infusing lavishly huge amounts of sugar and caffeine directly into my inner workings, for months on end, grasping at that ever looming competitive edge that I desire.

Once I've achieved my desired goals, I usually settle into a more relaxed regime, go explore or experience at things I may have missed, or overlooked, after a while if content dips, I'll go catch up on some games I haven't had time to play due to the infectiousness of the grind consuming my soul.

For me, its not a question of rushing or relaxed approach to a game, they are just two separate stages, and for me, one usually appears before the other.

Cool analogy :)

I forget to sleep when I really have fun with something as well :P Just not cause I want to rush  but cause I just cant put the game down sometimes :) 
  • Options
    Dorje said:

I forget to sleep when I really have fun with something as well :P Just not cause I want to rush  but cause I just cant put the game down sometimes :) 
    Same here, but the way we spend this time is diffrent from person to person and thats totaly fine.

If i get it right DeathsProxy plays the game on a competitive way from the beginning. If the game offers good pvp content and demanding raids and dungeons its a legitimate way to play but i personaly think you will always sacrifice a part of the roleplay experience for this. Like Ariatras said you cant replicate the feeling of the first time and if you do the first time relaxed and soak up everything you see you will feel a special from of closeness to the world. Just can recommend to try it ^^

• Options
    I will defiantly take my time to enjoy story and environment.
  • Options
    I'll probably try to progress as quick as possible early on in the game so I can get to a comfortable spot where i can spend most of my time helping others.
  • Options
    What we are used to is grind-fest MMO that have little in the way of exciting lore or lore that wasn't interactive with the world. We have to remember that Ashes seeks to reverse this, having less grind and more story, choice, involvement in the world's story line. 
  • Options
    I doubt leveling up will be as much of a problem, not sure if there will be a main quest storyline and I hope not. It'd be nice to be your own character for once. But with every game I play, I rush to the top as fast as possible, but It's possible to stop and smell the roses as I do it. 
  • Options
    I will very much enjoy story and environment, and everything during leveling.

This, however does not mean I have to do all this at a "snail pace". ;)
    I will both enjoy it all, and level up at a nice pace, and then when I am max level, I will continue to enjoy it.

Being max level, does not mean you stop enjoying environment. Quite the contrary, you can enjoy it even more, being able to travel to even more places where you couldn't travel before, being limited by your level.
  • Options
    Get to the top, crush all who oppose me, go back for any achievements (reference Tera for this), then go the Dank Souls route and 'Git Gud, or GET OUT!'

When playing an rpg I follow the laws set forth by Skyrim, Dank Souls, and Tera, So I'm not sorry if casuals get butthurt when they get crushed but that is your fault not mine.
  • Options
    i think ill end up rushing even if i tried not to
  • Options
    what if i enjoy the rush? :)
  • Options
    I think one of the big reasons I haven't enjoyed any MMO's recently is that, when playing with friends, I feel a need to keep pace with them and usually they just want to blast through as much content as fast as possible to get to end-game.

With Ashes I'm promising myself I won't do that. I want to immerse myself in the lore as much as possible. I want to understand the world and the characters in it.

I feel that one of the main reasons questing becomes boring is because I don't understand why I'm doing what I'm doing. When I blast through the content without reading anything I'm just following waypoints on the map and completing some random action when I get there it just feels repetitive and boring.

I'm hoping that, if I were to take my time and understand the story, questing will become enjoyable again and I'll feel like I'm actually *going on a quest* rather than just ticking boxes on a checklist.

• Options
    I put that I will take my time... because I really hope to. But... I’ve taken my time in other games and that backfired on me seriously. I really hope this is a game I can take my time and explore without being left behind.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    @Allusir
    This game is going to have consecuences. Rushing and taking your time have different sets of concecuences, the world will be full of opportunities, and if you fail to take the opportunity to participate on a world boss fight because you were looking at the sunset that's going to be on you if you feel like you missed out or not. For example one of my RP characters will never go near a World boss, he will be the first in line for the civilian evacuation of a node. So I wouldn't feel like I missed out on this scenario.

Annother example is: If you're too slow you will not find the physical home you want in the node you want to live in and will have to settle for a smaller home on the outskirts of the node or if you are late enough maybe even settle for an instanced apartment Or join an enemy node, help destroy the node and then work to rebuild it and this time place your home there.

the game world will be everchanging, and new opportunities will appear very frequently so you will Miss many opportunities, but there will be new stuff to do that you can participate in constantly.

On the flip side if you are exploring a cave because you decided to take it slow and not take that quest, you might be the first one to find something new. Also those of us that take our time are more likely to find hidden things, because those rushing, just ignore subtle hints and sprint passed the text and places without stopping to observe what that suspicious looking man is doing in the middle of nowhere.

• Options
    @Santy182
    Oh yeah, I totally get there will be a ton of different things that you miss out on one way or another. Mostly I just hope that if I take my time, there is a cap to get to. Games that have no level / gear cap (BDO is the only example I know of), and with more drastic the affects of a single level difference, the more impossible it is to ever catch up if you fall behind. 

I spent a lot of time in that game doing economy life skill things... then when I wanted to get into combat it was impossible. I did so much grinding to get up to where the general community was, but when I got there the general community was already higher. 
  • Options
    A little bit of both. I want to see the effort put into a game's map and world design, but I don't just want to run around all day looking at pretty spots but never actually getting anything done.
  • Options
    I don't think rushing will help anyone with freeholds. It will be a matter of right place, right time, enough resources. Sure you can stake a level 2 node out, but you won't have any indication to the exact time it will turn level 3 granting freehold claims.

There will likely be many nodes capable of hitting level 3 coming and going. So obtaining a house inside a city would be some luck and some perseverance. Instanced housing in a fully developed node would be a rush if they were limited I guess.

I also don't see how taking your time or rushing puts you at a greater or lesser chance of experiencing a world boss. You are either close enough about when it starts or you're not.

I do agree with the suggestion that those who rush might be less likely to discover hidden secrets, but that depends on how they are rushing, imo.
  • Options
    Sora_NGNL said:
    One thing that bothers me everytime i play a new mmo is that i feel kind of a progress presure. This feeling comes a little if i play alone and is very strong if i play with friends cause it seems to me that all what people care in a mmo is endgame content. When i played eso first time solo i spent like 30 hours in the first zone to look at everything and talk to the npc's and just to get that feeling of immersion i love. Soon as i join other players dungeons and raids get on the board and they take me in a group and try to rush all content fast as possibke to get my stats up. My solution so far is that i make 1 char to be my roleplay char and others to be fast usefull in raids. To be fair most times mmo leveling content these days is totaly boring and exchangeable and in that case its just normal to rush it. But there are some mmo's that offer good storys.

Now if ashes of the creation is like its told to be every story will be diffrent and i will miss something as a roleplayer everytime i rush content with one of my characters. So if i join a guild right at the start they have to be aweare that i will take my time reading all dialogues and sometimes just enjoy the view. 

Now i would rly like to know if someone has similar feelings and how you will play your first character in ashes of creation ?
    I like to dive in head first, forgetting the concept of sleeping and eating, infusing lavishly huge amounts of sugar and caffeine directly into my inner workings, for months on end, grasping at that ever looming competitive edge that I desire.

Once I've achieved my desired goals, I usually settle into a more relaxed regime, go explore or experience at things I may have missed, or overlooked, after a while if content dips, I'll go catch up on some games I haven't had time to play due to the infectiousness of the grind consuming my soul.

For me, its not a question of rushing or relaxed approach to a game, they are just two separate stages, and for me, one usually appears before the other.

well, somebody here is highly competitive
  • Options
    I enjoy.. I want to hear every line of dialogue, read the books and scrolls..understand the lore. I like to explore every nook and cranny of a world and love when the developers sometime reward that with a treasure chest  or something that can only be found by exploration. I tend to even walk or jog the world rather then quick travel or use my mount as often as others may.
  • Options
    Something in between most def. I understand that concept of being forced to move fast through content for the "end-game" treasure that people are so fascinated with. I feel that it wont be the same with AoC though because they have said that there wont really be an end-game so to speak of. 

I take this as sign that its okay not to hit max level in the first month of release. I want to enjoy the story, but I am a creature of habit though. If the story doesnt capture my interest or seems boring or even overly dragged out, then I probably wont spend much time reading into other things. Which will result in my lack of interest in side quest dialogue as well.

I love exploring new worlds when MMOs first arrive, being deeply invested in the stories being told as well as making my own in the universe thats given to me but at the same time, i like being competitive, and being competitive means pushing it to the limit and being just as equipped as those who are also in the sphere of that concept. It truly depends on the alphas & betas. If i can get into the story during these phases and be drawn in then itll be a strong focus for me. 
  • Options
    I've always been a person to take my time and smell the roses type. I set my own pace and dance to my own drum beat, as some would say. Never the type to follow the masses, but observe and learn from their mistakes.

Given the scale of Ashes as well, I plan to at least get far enough to feel secure in my abilities to play, but I know myself well enough that fairly early on, I'll be off the beat path and try to run around in an area that could one shot me or try to Skyrim up some mountain and refuse to be told "You can't do this", with the attitude of "watch me." cause I want to see what is over a ridge and stare at the world from high above.

Its what I do. I explore and I hate it when games block me from taking the chances and life of my character in their hands, instead of keeping it in my own. Its the thrill of the unknown and the adventure of the danger that always keeps me going, and that-- is why I take forever in games, because I want to take it all in.
  • Options
    I play focused when I'm leveling up.

So I guess I'm in the rush camp but I'm usually playing with a static group of friends so we tend to do the main quest/dungeons/grinding on the way up.

Get to the max level and then start doing the exploring just because then we have all the options open to us and can actually get the most out of our time spent.
  • Options
    I'll take my time and enjoy the alpha and beta then rush at launch. No need to take it slow to enjoy the story that I'll have already played through multiple times by that point
  • Options
    I will likely try to level my first toon as fast as possible in order to best support my playstyle and guildies. #WeNotMe
  • Options
    For the most part of first character/initial playthrough I'll take my time enjoying the story and scenery.. But if it gets boring, I tend to just skip and rush through..
  • Options
    I personally will take my time at first, but if everyone else is somehow way ahead of me then I will feel pressured to speed up. Hopefully leveling will be slow and not a race to max. It always seemed like the race to max was to cover the shortfalls in the rest of the game.
  • Options
    For those of us with limited gametime due to job and family rushing is not an option anzway - no way you beat the basement kids  :):)
  • Options
    I'll take my time and enjoy the game.
    The fun of a MMORPG is I can be whoever I want. I don't have to save any princess or finding my daughter whom is chasing by an army. When I see a beautiful landcape I'll stop and sit down.
    Game isn't a job, it's not real life either, the moment like that can be missed If you rush too fast.
    The most fun time of a MMO is when it first released imo so I'll enjoy it as much as I can <3
  • Options
    Taking my time to enjoy the game. Try out a few classes and then progress.  
  • Options
    I dont feel we need to rush at all. After playing BDO from the 4 day prelaunch and it being a yr or two later now. Ive learned that we will all get there before new content.(dlc) And doing tradeskills and takin it easy early game can actually put you wwwaaayyy ahead later. 
  • Options
    I typically want to experience everything a game has to offer so I never rush. I'll get to end game when I get there. That and I'll be playing with my wife who is a casual for sure.