Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Omg Armor Design

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Some samples of the armor concepts we have seen so far. They kinda indicate the range and details we'll see being produced. I'm impressed with the details so far :3

:D 
    With this image I want to remind that  gear sets may come in tiers so the visuals will change as the gear tier increases ^^
    And here is the quote :3 Found it for you :D
    https://youtu.be/G4-Sb3dN2hQ?t=31m16s

• Armour design is one thing I'm a bit worried about.

From what they've shown us so far most of the armour seems to be super detailed and ornate which doesn't really scale well, when the lower end gear already looks incredible the only way to 'improve' it is to tack on all sorts of crap to it.

I really hope that lower end sets are a lot simpler, more muted and more basic all-round which will give us fancy looking gear to actually strive for and work towards rather than having the best looking stuff from day 1.
  • Rosco said:
    Armour design is one thing I'm a bit worried about.

From what they've shown us so far most of the armour seems to be super detailed and ornate which doesn't really scale well, when the lower end gear already looks incredible the only way to 'improve' it is to tack on all sorts of crap to it.

I really hope that lower end sets are a lot simpler, more muted and more basic all-round which will give us fancy looking gear to actually strive for and work towards rather than having the best looking stuff from day 1.

We haven't seen what level the gear they showed us is yet, it could be mid level for all we know.
  • Rosco said:

We haven't seen what level the gear they showed us is yet, it could be mid level for all we know.
    Hopefully we'll see more examples soon.

Based on some of the other images of the 'tiered' sets it does look like the lower-end stuff is a bit more simple in design which in my eyes is a great thing.

I like having something to work towards and cosmetics for many people in an RPG are super important, being handed it all on a plate as soon as you start the game is a bit crappy so I don't think that the developers will make that mistake.

It makes sense that they'll be showing us more of the higher end fancy looking gear, it's always the sort of stuff that attracts people and gets them playing the game because they want to look cool too.
  • Would like to see matching weapon and shields sets that match armour sets.  For example if you had a mage you could actually make the book match the gear by changing the color and addind some trim to it.   For a tank then their would be a sheild a sword hammer and mace that would match a particular armour set.  For rnagers than there would be bows that ahve the same theme as a particular armour set that they have.   

Even if you are not able to put it in game a t launch cause I imagine Ashes of Creation does not have the time to implement all the things that it wants to in the alotted time they have before relealse date.  Those items could be addded later on after launch.  Should not be to hard cause you already have the them.
  • no bikini armor that has who knows how high def
    this.
    edited October 2018
    Rosco said:

How would you know what super advanced gear is available to strive for...
    ...without showing examples to the players ?

Perhaps their sole goal is to gain feedback on if the armour sets are visually pleasing or not. Not what level they are....or are expected to be.

I like the concept behind cosmetic symmetry broken up by functional asymmetry. It adds a unique and meaningful identity to the common/shared base items.
  • Personally I find realistic armor to be boring, part of the fun of playing a high fantasy game is getting to wear gaudy unrealistic armor to show off your accomplishments and stand out from others.
    edited October 2018
    Haha play Warhammer for over 20 years then talk about over the top armour ^^
  • nagash said:
    Got to love pauldrons the size of a chestplate :> 
  • nagash said:
    I think you mean chest plate the size of pauldrons 
  • Gotta love those pauldrons where you crush your head when you try to lift both arms at the same time.
  • I dont really think about it that much, sure i want to look cool and all that. Only thing i know i hate is if they put in plate bikinis and shit like that!
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    I think you mean chest plate the size of pauldrons 
    My priorities were not set right it seems, thank you :>
    edited October 2018
    There is only one armorset that i am going to need.
  • There are way way way to many people that have pretty much only played World of Warcraft and have bad experiances from it when it comes to armour.

The truth is, there have been plenty of mmorpgs that have tried to make more "realistic" armour designs, but it just turn very boring, bland, and colourless.

Age of Conan for example, you looked the same at lvl 1 as you did at max lvl, and all armours were brown.
    ESO also tried a little bit more realistic route but it just became meh.
    Ranger armour looked nice though. 
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/99/50/769950f5986d12358f322c59cd149f37.jpg

I like high fantasy enviroment and armour, but i agree the shoulderpads are a bit rediculous in many games. 
  • The shoulder pads were ridiculous in the 80s too that didn't stop women from wearing them. People have all different tastes and ashes needs to cater to everyone.
  • I think, that as long as they keep the option to customize our armor, that everyone will be kept happy ;D
    edited November 2018
    Kraytborn said:
    Please please please make sensible armor design! I can’t stand it when you have a character that you wicked like and the armor choices look like disfunctional crap. Examples? Sure! Big shoulder look in WoW, pointy shoulders and big helmets in SWTOR, and I am sure there are others that my mind is just not able to think of at this wee hour. Seriously though there are developers for both of those games I wouldn’t mind paying to see hit square in the junk because of their b.s. non-functional armor designs. Even armor designs for the female characters should be sensible, I mean a two piece bathing suit style plate armor for a warrior type might seem sensible to the fetish fapper but to an actual rpg gamer it fails miserably. 

Just please sensible and realistic armor. 

On another note note will there be a fatigue factor (like Skyrim) where there are penalties to heavy armor like shorter slower sprinting or movement restrictions for the heavier armor? I mean the people using it are getting the benefit of more armor and protection they should get the downside of it too to keep balance. 
    There are actually already a lot released on current armor designs. It looks like where they are currently lacking generally is on the lower end / less fantastical armors. As your character is coming into the world of this MMORPG as a hero from the world your ancestors were banished to everything is looking pretty detailed at this point. 

In that reguard id like a few more less detailed, less fancy sets of clothing. 

Robes (as stated by Steven)

Heavy Armor (as stated by Steven)

T-Shirt and Jeans (as stated by Steven)
  • @WingedHorizon

The picture you showed for T-Shirt and Jeans is actually the Lvl 20 (Tier 3) Kaelar Plate.
    The other Heavy Armor you showed is also Lvl 20 (Tier 3) Plate but for Empyrean.

Actually the folowing is the T-Shirt and Jeans (Base Leather Set).
    But i don´t think we know yet for which Race. Probably Kaelar or Empyrean.

with this  beeing some artwork-color-variations (dyes).
    Filecmn m base a 0 paper doll 03png

• Augentier said:
    @WingedHorizon

The picture you showed for T-Shirt and Jeans is actually the Lvl 20 (Tier 3) Kaelar Plate.
    The other Heavy Armor you showed is also Lvl 20 (Tier 3) Plate but for Empyrean.

Actually the folowing is the T-Shirt and Jeans (Base Leather Set).
    But i don´t think we know yet for which Race. Probably Kaelar or Empyrean.

with this  beeing some artwork-color-variations (dyes).
    Filecmn m base a 0 paper doll 03png

This armor looks pretty generic IMO, typical the "I don't care at all" level of look.

• akmaa said:
    This armor looks pretty generic IMO, typical the "I don't care at all" level of look.

Dont forget that this armor is currently mainly recolorations of the base armor. 
    We will later also get attachements, like in Warframe, where we can customize our armor ;D
  • akmaa said:
    I can promise you it is very intricately designed lol.
  • I personally preffer simplistic/realistic design, Tanned leather, Chain bodies, things like leather on top of cotton tights, straps that exudes the build not stuff that i've seen so far like line design on a "dress" or top+ bottom combo. I think it is nice if a top and bottom match. But only match not complete a draw design on both pieces that only differ in dye or color coating. So far i don't like much of any armor I've seen.
  • Ranged said:
    I personally preffer simplistic/realistic design, Tanned leather, Chain bodies, things like leather on top of cotton tights, straps that exudes the build not stuff that i've seen so far like line design on a "dress" or top+ bottom combo. I think it is nice if a top and bottom match. But only match not complete a draw design on both pieces that only differ in dye or color coating. So far i don't like much of any armor I've seen.
    that has as much armour as I have flesh on my bones
  • @Ranged Not sure how new this is but these armors look realistic and simplistic to me:

And because this is production art im pretty sure some gearsets like this will be in game. They wouldn´t make production art and put it on their website if it wouldn´t be in the game at least partially.
  • nagash said:
    Ranged said:
    I personally preffer simplistic/realistic design, Tanned leather, Chain bodies, things like leather on top of cotton tights, straps that exudes the build not stuff that i've seen so far like line design on a "dress" or top+ bottom combo. I think it is nice if a top and bottom match. But only match not complete a draw design on both pieces that only differ in dye or color coating. So far i don't like much of any armor I've seen.
    that has as much armour as I have flesh on my bones
    Now that's something I can agree on with you, a lot of cosplay might look 'real' but even if you used the appropriate materials that wouldn't be called leather armor, it's just a goddamn corset... 'w'
  • Damokles said:

Its a type of magic ^^

edited November 2018
    If i could whish a kind of armor into the game then it would be the Ursa Major armor from The Witcher 3. 

This is in my opinion the best looking armor, ever created in any MMORPG.