Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should corruption be account wide ?

I guess this depends on what side of the fence you stand and what kind of player you are, and especially what kind of person you are, or want to have in the game. Some may think anyone and everyone should have a home in the game and do as they please. Others may say, only under these conditions is this playstyle allowed.

There will be the murderhobos as steven puts it, that arent in character when they slaughter everyone. They are just people that want to have the freedom to slaughter as many people as possible wherever they are, whenever they want, against whomever they like. Normally the easier the competition the better.

Then you have the more legitimate side, where a player is taking on the personae of the character they have built. They will not play all their characters this way, it is just one expression of a character type they like to explore. Carefully bare that in mind before voting and remember this is a role playing game (as well as an MMO), that has to satisfy a broad community through compromise.

Comments

• Options
    Individual. The penalties as outlined are severe enough atm and will be tweaked during testing. If someone wants to log off and on all their various alts, run them to one specific area, and try to kill the same person over and over on a different toon each time, more power to them. They have waaaaay more time than I do to something with so little gain for time spent.
  • Options
    Tl;DR: Presently corruption is a thing and it might work, but not with this change.

What's the use of having account wide corruption? Wreck havock with your strongest main, log out, let people kill some lowly toon while you stand around afk going shopping and repeat?
     Yeah, no.
    I depends neither on fence, stance nor type of player, it undermines the system that is presented to us itself. If you really want to talk about it then the question should be something like
    "Should we have corruption at all? What is the alternative?"

That joke on the role-player was unnecessary btw, if it was a joke at least. Otherwise that's just ignorant.

• Options
    OMG why?

Why would you want all my characters to suffer because one is an insane murderer?
    I'm not an insane murderer, one of my characters are. So I shouldn't be punished, right?

Even if all my characters were, they would likely have different levels and it would be unjustly to have them all level out to the same corruption score. Some of my corrupted characters would benefit from a 'lesser over all score' (not going to please those for corruption) and some of my characters would be hurt by a 'larger over all score' (not going to please those against it).

So please, just no.
  • Options
    From how I'm understanding the way the corruption system works, there's just no point in making it account wide. It runs the risk of overly punishing people that may not understand the system when they first start out and non-gankers. It also feels like players that do enjoy open world pvp may feel even more singled out and need to walk on eggshells (not really sure, as I'm a PvEr) or simply not play which affects the gameplay. This shouldn't be about harsh punishment, it should be a push back on players that randomly attack other players for no reason. If corruption isn't enough, that is when our community should step in. 

Gentle push back~
    then curb stomp!

Not curb stomp to the face with multiple hammers all at once for a single offense! >.<

• Options
    I don't even see where you made an argument for why making it account wide would even make sense.  
  • Options
     >:) 
  • Options
    You don't present an option I can vote so however to answer, I do not at all think it should be "account wide". That would fully break immersion as you'd not have any rational as to why all toons would be impacted by the actions of a singular one.
  • Options
    If a player is exploiting their right to play multiple characters to attempt grief killing the penalty is simple. Enforced re log time out for attacking the same player with different characters. Corrupting an entire account seems like an open admission of a far deeper internal community issue. We will not be WoW!
  • Options
    Option E: remove corruption completely except for griefing and ganking (killing lower levels, and killing same target many times in succession).
  • Options
    If the developer wanted absolute accountability they'd only allow one character per server - that doesn't seem at all the direction Intrepid is headed with this game.   Even outside of a roleplay context many players have characters they play with their guild and unguilded alts for playing with family members or just getting away from the crowd when exploring.  Whether it's the corruption system or other features, having tattletale mechanics in a roleplaying game allowing multiple characters on the same server feels petty and inappropriate.

The corruption systems will hopefully work as intended on an individual character basis, and dedicated murderhobos will likely have all of their alt aliases on node town KOS lists fairly quickly.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Jahlon said:
    I don't even see where you made an argument for why making it account wide would even make sense.  
    Some people just like to grief others rather than play a game for mutual fun.
    Have multiple alts just enables them to use another character if one gets too corrupt.

But regardless, my opinion does not count in a poll. Nor does my argument. A poll is for you to state a preference and give a personal opinion if you so desire.

My purpose for the poll was to see if my thoughts were in line with everyone elses. And if not, how far off the mark they were. It also enables me to see the spectrum of opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    TBH, IF corruption was only awarded for an actual griefing and ganking (and not for all green kills, even the occasional ones for resources) I'd have no issue with corruption being account wide even.
  • Options
    It needs to be by the character. Not account wide. That's why character slots should be limited to 2. And any purchasable slots, EXPENSIVE! (if available) to discourage multiple alts.
  • Options
    Orion said:
    It needs to be by the character. Not account wide. That's why character slots should be limited to 2. And any purchasable slots, EXPENSIVE! (if available) to discourage multiple alts.
    Most likely 5-8 slots. Will not be purchasable, very definition of p2win they are trying to avoid.
  • Options
    Thats an interesting idea that could help combat the gankers who have a bunch of alts. I kinda like it
  • Options
    There should be no pay for more alts.
    If someone wants to play and gank/grief they'll pay for more characters to enjoy that as much as I would to enjoy different skill ladders.
  • Options
    I think that you are limited to the toon with corruption having said corruption.  If that person gets an another toon and starts getting corruption then the rest of his toons get it as well.  Patterns. We know that there are people out there who love nothing more than ruining other people's day so since we can assume that if a person corrupts 2 of his toons then he is likely to corrupt all of his toons.
  • Options
    Account wide.  If you want to be a griefer... you must pay for your sins. 
  • Options
    As long as the exp debt is applied to all characters at the highest character owned value, then sure, make it account. If not, all people are going to do is create a level 1 alt to be a corruption sponge. "Oh, my main went murderhoboing last night. I guess I should log on the level one that has a million negative exp, so my friend Bob can come over to my freehold and kill it a bunch of times till my account clears."
  • Options
    If a player creates multiple alts that all end up corrupted, then corruption would kind of be account wide.

However, if at least one of said players alts is a non-ganking non murdering decent character, why would we want to encourage that one to be corrupted too?

Account wide corruption, imo, would create more players willing to go corrupt with all their alts. Why not, they all have it anyways?

Why not just let the player decide if they want to be a thorn in the side of civility or not?
  • Options
    My vote is no, but I couldn't care less about the argument you tied with the option and it shouldn't be there, in my opinion.

What you do on your main shouldn't impact the experience on your alt, since that character wasn't the one who did the killing. So why should a low level alt be hunted down because the high level main killed people?
  • Options
    People are constantly yelling to buff corruption, but no one is yelling to incentivize going purple, what should be done in PvX game.

Deincentivize being green (add an actual punishment for remaining green), add better reward for being purple.

Without those 2, there should be no talk about buffing corruption.
  • Options
    No, I think this would kill the fun for a lot of players if it was account wide.
  • Options
    I am punished for remaining green. The incentive to go purple is to not be punished for staying green. The deter to not attacking someone that flags purple is corruption.

This seems legit.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Problem is that punishment for remaining green is so small that it will incentivize no one to go purple. The only people that will be purple are the ones that would be purple by default even with no incentive...

Some exp lost (that doesn't even matter on max level since you can not de level), so at max level the only remaining punishment is few resources dropped...

So few resources dropped for remaining green VS for being red: stats lost, gear lost, severely more resources dropped, being bounty hunted, ...

That seems balanced to you? ....... this current "balance" is laughable...
  • Options
    We won't really know the magnitude of the death penalty until we get to test it. It could turn out that dying as a green slows down progression so much that it is preferable to be purple.I am kinda hoping that will be the case.
  • Options
    As @Zastro indicated, I am not aware of what the penalty to stat loss will be for a single green-kill. I am also under the impression chance to drop gear goes up with corruption level, starting small. So killing one green every so often, and assuming you are killed or die every so often as well, should balance out. I think the issue with severe-corruption penalties will only be felt by those with an unquenchable desire to slay green players.

Either way, corruption needs to not be account wide, imo, for many (if not all) of the stated opinions in this thread.
  • Options
  • Options
    would be bad if you got like 1 Bad char and 1 good char the good char had to pay bc of the bad char ...