Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is "Ganking" ? Derp Chronicles

I have seen a misinterpretation of what ganking is for many years. I have been a Pvper sense 2004 and it is the only reason I play mmo's. So I have a fair insight as to what Ganking is. Typically I see Pvers ( even pvpers) complaining certain things that a take place that is purely pvp. So here is the dictionary term of ganking.

Ganking is the process in which a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player WAY below his or her own level.

Thats it thats Ganking the rest is as follows.

1. You minding your own business get jumped and or ambushed is Pvp. Otherwise how does it work, pvpers can not ask for permission.

2. A camper is a video gamer who finds a strategic spot within a level and waits there for players, game-controlled enemies or choice items to appear. This strategy is known as camping.

3. Lets pretend a max lvl on a game is 50. The difference between two players pvping lets say a 45 vs a 49 is doable. Typically the players are a mix matched of gear of greens some rares and so on. A lvl 45 can easily beat a lvl 49.

However lets say a lvl 49 vs a 50. Typically in games lvl 50 acquires a certain bonus boost in stats or high tier power or both. Often times a lvl 50 is far more advanced in gear vs the 49. The difference between the two is night and day. This is a grey area and I do not consider it ganking, because at the end of the day your still a 49. Also maybe the person just turned 50 and has crap gear.

4. Lets say two players are of equal lvls. But the one player is killing you over and over. That person is just a better pvper or its a class thats your kryptonite. Thats is not ganking, he just a Jerk and I have a 3 kill max limit on my part.

To be honest it surprises me how some are still confused by this. Anyways I hope this helped out. If there is anything I left out or need to touch on let me know.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Yeah I agree with most of what you said.

I think a gank is when someone who vastly out levels or out gears another individual and kills them just for random sport....that is a gank.

I like everything you said about the level and gear stuff is spot on.   Getting killed by someone 1 level above you (exception of the max level scenario) is PVP.

People would complain in Archeage that they got "ganked" for their tradepacks.  While I felt bad, the reason you died is because you had something of value the other guy wanted.   That's not a gank no matter the difference in levels. 

• Options
    Urban dictionary can gtfo.. It's often wrong n made by idiots.. I have never ever associated level differences with the term ganking.. Hell it could even be 10x level 45s vs 1x level 50.. That's still ganking the 50..

Ganking is purely when more than 1 player attacks the same target so as the target has to deal with multiple players.

Such as an OP level 50 owning other 50s in 1v1s, so example, you pm a few other good friends and start jumping in on your 1v1s to blitz him n do damage while he's low HP to finish him n get his good loot, makes sure he doesn't get away or anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Flameh0t said:
    Hell it could even be 10x level 45s vs 1x level 50.. That's still ganking the 50..

Um Yes a clear disadvantage I agree with you on this. I was not aware I had to facilitate every detail. I would be writing a novel at that rate. It clearly states
    (( a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves,))
    Perhaps 100 lvl tens vs a 50 I mean we could go on forever.

Flame: Ganking is purely when more than 1 player attacks the same target so as the target has to deal with multiple players.

I covered that too. But taking on two targets is doable, I often have and succeeded. I do not really consider that ganking because It is stated (( HAVING NO CHANCE)) fighting against two people you absolutely can have a chance.

Flame said:Such as an OP level 50 owning other 50s in 1v1s, so example, you pm a few other good friends and start jumping in on your 1v1s to blitz him n do damage while he's low HP to finish him n get his good loot, makes sure he doesn't get away or anything.

Yes thats just pvp? He is supposed to take his gear off? I am not sure the problem here.
    If an absorbent amount of people that again gives NO CHANCE to defend, then its ganking. You have the ability to get the gear too, or work on your skill. I Lift weights I have for years. If we were compete with you bench pressing am I only to use one arm?
    Honestly I am not understanding your logic

• Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Hell it could even be 10x level 45s vs 1x level 50.. That's still ganking the 50..

Um Yes a clear disadvantage I agree with you on this. I was not aware I had to facilitate every detail. I would be writing a novel at that rate. It clearly states
    (( a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves,))

Flame: Ganking is purely when more than 1 player attacks the same target so as the target has to deal with multiple players.

I covered that too. But taking on two targets is doable, I often have and succeeded. I do not really consider that ganking because It is stated (( HAVING NO CHANCE)) fighting against two people you absolutely can have a chance.

Flame said:Such as an OP level 50 owning other 50s in 1v1s, so example, you pm a few other good friends and start jumping in on your 1v1s to blitz him n do damage while he's low HP to finish him n get his good loot, makes sure he doesn't get away or anything.

Yes thats just pvp? He is supposed to take his gear off? I am not sure the problem here.
    If an absorbent amount of people that again gives NO CHANCE to defend, then its ganking. You have the ability to get the gear too, or work on your skill. I Lift weights I have for years. If we were compete with you bench pressing am I only to use one arm?

You're not understanding my logic?
    That's a bit worrying seeing as how I was just reiterating what you said. I was agreeing, just adding that it's not restricted to level differences.

The 2vs1 was an example, but it's completely irrelevant if you had a chance at it or not.. Being ganked is still being ganked..
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Flameh0t said:

That's a bit worrying seeing as how I was just reiterating what you said. I was agreeing, just adding that it's not restricted to level differences.

The 2vs1 was an example, but it's completely irrelevant if you had a chance at it or not.. Being ganked is still being ganked..
    I can read your post two different ways.You came in sounding angry so I had to assume you were against. I read it a few times and one hand it seemed agreeably at the  sametime pissed and against what I said. I am wayyyy past the point I need to sleep, my appologies
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Yes a clear disadvantage I agree with you on this. I was not aware I had to facilitate every detail. I would be writing a novel at that rate.
    Clear disadvantage is killing someone who won't fight you back.
    Killing non-combatants.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Killing non-combatants.

Thats a choice you make.
  • Options
    I agree with your definitions and descriptions of the interactions between players in PvP. My one correction is just that the similar level player could also be ahead of you in terms of gear, so he's not necessarily a better player, or of a class with a combat advantage over you.

I can't actually make heads or tails of your discussion below the main topic, so I'm just gonna stay out of the who's right or wrong part.. My opinion is that ganking doesn't have to be successful, or even provide an advantage. Trying to gank a level 50 as 45s in most games is a good way to commit group suicide, but it's still technically ganking, no matter how poorly conceived.

I think that's what you were saying anyways, so I agree with you.

- Sikuba
  • Options
    Sikuba said:
    I agree with your definitions and descriptions of the interactions between players in PvP. My one correction is just that the similar level player could also be ahead of you in terms of gear, so he's not necessarily a better player, or of a class with a combat advantage over you.

I can't actually make heads or tails of your discussion below the main topic, so I'm just gonna stay out of the who's right or wrong part.. My opinion is that ganking doesn't have to be successful, or even provide an advantage. Trying to gank a level 50 as 45s in most games is a good way to commit group suicide, but it's still technically ganking, no matter how poorly conceived.

I think that's what you were saying anyways, so I agree with you.

- Sikuba
    I could not make heads or tails with the topic below ether. It seemed like agreeing but not all at the sametime.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Dygz said:
    Killing non-combatants.

Thats a choice you make.
    ("Did you fight back"?)
    And accruing Corruption is also a choice you make.
  • Options
    Ganking:

1. high level player killing low level player that has no chance (regardless of his skill and effort)

2. too many players killing low number of players that again stand no chance regardless of their skill and effort

Equal level fights (regardless of gear difference) isn't ganking. All players have equal opportunity to work on their gear and skill. If you aren't that's your own personal problem.

Killing someone who doesn't fight back is not ganking. You have an option to fight back and win, so you do stand a fair chance. Not fighting back is your own choice / problem.

Griefing:

1. continual repeated ganking of same target, following the target around or camping his corpse, and killing him over and over just while he stands no chance.

Personally, I do not consider following a player that can pull a fair fight with you, and repeatedly attacking him griefing, but here mileage may vary, so I am also more flexible around this scenario.

Again, people simply not wanting to PvP in a game that includes PvP (in cases where no ganking / griefing is present) should be their own problem, and should not be punished in any way. Not even minor amounts of corruption.

SPECIALLY NOT in meaningful fights around resources.

** PvE-ers asking for punishment for players fighting them for resources (equal level fights / not ganks but meaningful fights) is just BS.

** If Intrepid actually implements corruption for SUCH fights, that will be even bigger BS.

(Sorry, just an honest opinion.)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Dygz said:
    Dygz said:
    Killing non-combatants.

Thats a choice you make.
    ("Did you fight back"?)
    And accruing Corruption is also a choice you make.
    uh huh? wth does that have to do with anything. Yes a choice ok?......... But you are not at a disadvantage its your choice. So its my choice to get corruption ( long pause) ohhhkkkk...........

Are you drunk? The crap you are saying with **** and now this
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Are you drunk? The crap you are saying with **** and now this

It's simple. Such people have no real arguments, so they make up stuff, twist everything around, and use whatever non sense they can think of, thinking that other people have no brain so they will somehow prove their point that PvP should only be optional and mutually agreed upon.

They want Ashes to be PvE game. Pure and simple.

Sad thing is, it's so many of such players around so game developers actually cater to them.

I haven't seen a decent MMO in a decade due to that.
  • Options
    PvPer tears!!!
    lmfao
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    PvPer tears!!!
    lmfao
    I am surprised that let you guys have social media outlets in your safe spaces.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    @Gothix

Personally, I do not consider following a player that can pull a fair fight with you, and repeatedly attacking him griefing, but here mileage may vary, so I am also more flexible around this scenario.

It depends... For example, what if you respawn with 25% hit points? It doesn't become a fair fight anymore especially since you had time to heal (suppose the fight was really really close).

I'm not saying that you should wait for the guy to heal back up. Thus, there's a really fine line between PVP and griefing. I usually like to return the favor, even make him log out, if I'm griefed (either alone or by asking for help). If you make me waste time, I'm going to make you lose more than time.

That's why I like the corruption idea - if I don't attack back, the attacker gets, at least, a penalty for the fact that he made me waste time with respawning and having to regather the lost resources, while getting killed repeatedly. I will always find a way to return the favor (respawn in a hidden spot then attack him from behind if I can win the fight, go help other griefed people, move around the griefer when he farms so he attacks me by mistake etc).

BUT, the first time I am going to fight! Everything after that - you get corruption - and I'm going to make damn sure that you'll kill me as many times as possible (yes, I can be annoying if I am griefed).

• Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Flameh0t said:

I can read your post two different ways.You came in sounding angry so I had to assume you were against. I read it a few times and one hand it seemed agreeably at the  sametime pissed and against what I said. I am wayyyy past the point I need to sleep, my appologies
    Yeah, sorry, I am Australian. Everything I say always sounds offensive to people.
  • Options
    Ganking can be interpreted in various ways but generally I think when a big group attacks a single person or small group, people who only refer to ganking as attacking a bunch of low level people in a group of high levels are not wrong but at the same time it's not the full truth.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    In an Ideal MMO (in my opinion) all types of conflict should be a fair game.

1vs1, call friends, everything...

It's a world of conflict, where you fight for prosperity and survival. It's a MMO, dangerous world. People should rely not only on their own skills / brain but on friends as well. They should rely on friends a LOT.

Connections should be made, alliances formed, tactics used. Really all should be fair game.

Corruption is just utterly missused mechanic that (again, in my opinion) brings down otherwise potentially great game.

---> Specially when it is used whenever "someone doesn't feel like it".

I mean WHERE do you think you are playing? Are you in long established civilization?

NO, you traveled through portal to dangerous unexplored / long forgotten world full of dangers. You are a pioneer taking a huge challenge (LORE SAYS SO)... you do not get to "not feel like it".

Conflict should happen and you should deal with it, without anyone being punished for initiating said conflict.

I cant express how enormously wrong using corruption in all "green" conflicts is.

Even for equal level fights...

Now I can understand these overly sensitive players that do not care about immersive effect and dangers of the world, and wish to just play PvE and are willing to say anything to justify it.

I just hope Intrepid will be a bit more objective and make this right.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    There will be plenty of PvP conflict in Ashes.
    Not all of the PvP conflict will be resolved by PvP combat.
    But, Ashes will have plenty of PvP combat as well.
    In addition, Ashes will have penalties for PKing.

It's the hardcore PvPers in this thread who are willing to twist things and make up stuff to justify their entitled preferences rather than accept the rules and mechanics of this game.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

It's the hardcore PvPers in this thread who are willing to twist things and make up stuff to justify their entitled preferences rather than accept the rules and mechanics of this game.
    I mean... it's a public forum people are allowed to debate the validity of the mechanics especially well ahead of release.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Ganking:

1. high level player killing low level player that has no chance (regardless of his skill and effort)

2. too many players killing low number of players that again stand no chance regardless of their skill and effort

Equal level fights (regardless of gear difference) isn't ganking. All players have equal opportunity to work on their gear and skill. If you aren't that's your own personal problem.

Killing someone who doesn't fight back is not ganking. You have an option to fight back and win, so you do stand a fair chance. Not fighting back is your own choice / problem.

Griefing:

1. continual repeated ganking of same target, following the target around or camping his corpse, and killing him over and over just while he stands no chance.

Again, people simply not wanting to PvP in a game that includes PvP (in cases where no ganking / griefing is present) should be their own problem, and should not be punished in any way. Not even minor amounts of corruption.

SPECIALLY NOT in meaningful fights around resources.

** PvE-ers asking for punishment for players fighting them for resources (equal level fights / not ganks but meaningful fights) is just BS.

** If Intrepid actually implements corruption for SUCH fights, that will be even bigger BS.

(Sorry, just an honest opinion.)
    I've been playing online games for the past 25 years and this is about closest to the definition of ganking and griefing that i've come to learn in that time frame.

Initially in UO ganking was simply getting jumped at an in-opportune time when for some reason or another you couldn't fight the person on even terms (Hauling Ore, taming etc.)
  • Options
    Ganking is when you kill someone that can't or won't effectively give you an even and meaningful fight. This can be because the player is at a lower level, it's not evenly geared, it's not evenly skilled, or it's simply not willing to fight back, aka not offering a challenge.

For example, if a player is so skilled that he can have an even and meaningful fight against 3 players on the same level and gear, that's not ganking. It's meaningful PvP. Or if he can have an even fight with someone that's 10 levels above him just because he's just that good, then that's not ganking, it's PvP.

Now if I chase and continue to kill someone that has shown that he or she can't or won't offer me a run for my money, that's ganking, it's senseless murder. It's Not a meaningful fight, because it's not a challenge. Even if we are at the same level, have the same gear and are 1v1.
  • Options
    phatcat09 said:
    Dygz said:

I mean... it's a public forum people are allowed to debate the validity of the mechanics especially well ahead of release.
    People can argue whatever they want.
    Twisting reality and making stuff up is not going to be convincing.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Ganking is the process in which a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player WAY below his or her own level.
    Using Urban Dictionary to make a point is no different to using Wikipedia.

"To kill, ambush, or defeat with little effort."

That is a far better description of ganking.

Your definition was first coined (according to your own sources) in early 2005. It was coined at a time when the majority of MMO players (the WoW population of the time) had never even been max level in an MMO, and so didn't (couldn't) take in to account things like gear gap.

As we all now know, gear gap is a thing - the definition needed to evolve just as all language evolves with time.

The definition that I have supplied above is a far more accurate definition to ganking as it pertains to the MMO genre.

It is ganking if you kill a player that is afk.
    It is ganking if you kill a player that is well below your level.
    It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse ping than you.
    It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse gear than you.
    It is ganking if you kill a player with greater numbers on your side.
    It is ganking if you kill a player while they are engaged in combat with someone/something else.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Noaani said:

Using Urban Dictionary to make a point is no different to using Wikipedia.

"To kill, ambush, or defeat with little effort."

That is a far better description of ganking.

Your definition was first coined (according to your own sources) in early 2005. It was coined at a time when the majority of MMO players (the WoW population of the time) had never even been max level in an MMO, and so didn't (couldn't) take in to account things like gear gap.

As we all now know, gear gap is a thing - the definition needed to evolve just as all language evolves with time.

The definition that I have supplied above is a far more accurate definition to ganking as it pertains to the MMO genre.

It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse ping than you.
    It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse gear than you.
    It is ganking if you kill a player with greater numbers on your side.
    It is ganking if you kill a player while they are engaged in combat with someone/something else.

The cringe with some of the responses are next level.

1. It is ganking if you kill a player that is afk.
    Just no, funny but no. If you afk in a open area of a pvp zone thats your fault. Clearly the risk were not important enough for you, to place your guy in a sfae zone.

2. It is ganking if you kill a player that is well below your level.
    Yes as I said yes it is

3.It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse ping than you.
    So how does that work Pvpers are to ask there Ping before they attack? (Ahem excuse me sir do you live in Australia? No?  ( dead)

4. It is ganking if you kill a player with significantly worse gear than you.
    Again I am to ask or check each player for there gear status. Perhaps you need to work on the gear, cause logic.

5.It is ganking if you kill a player with greater numbers on your side.
    Um it is also ganking with greater numbers not just on my side.

6.It is ganking if you kill a player while they are engaged in combat with someone/something else.

A dick move yes but a strategic one again its pvp.

The definition is a the basis of a standerd  that most adhere to because it simply makes the most sense.

In what way is it even reasonable to check ping, Gear, must be exact skill ( as someone mentioned above) afk IN A PVP ZONE, You can not ambush well no point in being a an assassin then. In fact I will give a shout out ( Hey you over there can I pvp you? No.....sigh walks away)

But my favorite response of ll was this guy
    Ganking is when you kill someone that can't or won't effectively give you an even and meaningful fight

So now I am somehow supposed to know before I can even attack them there skill. Or If I attack and mid way I go ohhh this guy is crappy, just stop.
    What goldilock sceniro we Pvpers must have in order to actually engage in pvp. Byt the time I got throguh your guys stander eds of pvp. I would maybe find a person, log off and go to bed. You guys are insane holy hell lol

• Options
    Ganking is something someone does to another player, but is also something someone has done to them.

You seem to be only focusing on the first aspect of that.

A player that is attacked by someone with far better gear and gets killed in seconds experiences exactly the same as a player that is attacked by three players and killed in seconds.

From the perspective of the player that is attacked, they were ganked in both situations. Whether the attacker knew this would be the case or not is totally irrelevant from that players perspective.

You seem to have started this thread up in an attempt to justify behavior. That seems odd to me.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    Ganking is something someone does to another player, but is also something someone has done to them.

A player that is attacked by someone with far better gear and gets killed in seconds experiences exactly the same as a player that is attacked by three players and killed in seconds.

From the perspective of the player that is attacked, they were ganked in both situations. Whether the attacker knew this would be the case or not is totally irrelevant from that players perspective.

You seem to have started this thread up in an attempt to justify behavior. That seems odd to me.
    Actually I am the only person whp put a thread on here on why i like being the under dog for pvp. In some cases thats more fun. Lol that Dygz thumbs up. I started the thread as I said. because there is misinterpretation. You honestly see it as you do, because you have a misguided view of it. Most likely from real ahole pvpers in the past. The problem is we meaning pvpers like me get caught up in it.

You are aware from the things you said in order not to gank. You literally would have to go through so much to get the right setup. The point of open world pvp would be moot
  • Options
    Noaani said:

Actually I am the only person whp put a thread on here on why i like being the under dog for pvp. In some cases thats more fun. Lol that Dygz thumbs up. I started the thread as I said. because there is misinterpretation. You honestly see it as you do, because you have a misguided view of it. Most likely from real ahole pvpers in the past. The problem is we meaning pvpers like me get caught up in it.

You are aware from the things you said in order not to gank. You literally would have to go through so much to get the right setup. The point of open world pvp would be moot
    I think perhaps my point over all would be - if you are the type of PvP'er that attacks lone players, there will be times when you will gank them whether you knew it would be the case or not. As that type of PvP'er, you have the choice to live with the fact you will gank players at times - or no longer be a PvP'er.

Even to players that do not wish to gank, ganking and that type of PvP go hand in hand - you can't be one without sometimes being the other.
  • Options
    Noaani said:I think perhaps my point over all would be - if you are the type of PvP'er that attacks lone players, there will be times when you will gank them whether you knew it would be the case or not. As that type of PvP'er, you have the choice to live with the fact you will gank players at times - or no longer be a PvP'er.

Even to players that do not wish to gank, ganking and that type of PvP go hand in hand - you can't be one without sometimes being the other.

No I will not be ganking them or anyone. Your defining nature of what you think a gank is is incorrect. Look if thats what you feel it is oh well (shrugs). So what is open world pvp then? Based on how you see it. Games should just say open world ganking because its impossible for it to be anything else. There for ganking = pvp and we are right back where we started. So you call regular pvp ganking essentially.