Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

About the time between seasons...

---
There have been some concerns in the past as to how long a season should be.  Currently, as it stands, we know the plan is for seasons to rotate once a week.  A season offers content changes, and things like needing to switch to different crops for the season—which was the reason for the timeframe I was given when I'd asked Steven personally about it.  He also said they'd playtest it to see how it goes.  We've been given examples such as caravan routes switching up and events happening differently due to the season the world is currently in.

My long-standing concern with the seasons has been that they aren't long enough at one week.  You'd only just be able to get used to a season being there before it's gone.  I believe from an immersion standpoint it's too short.  The point I want to make when it comes to immersion is that a week doesn't allow for a season to really feel "lived in" from a player perspective, it would feel very transitory.  If there's a winter-unique pathway and you can only travel along it for seven days before it's gone, it doesn't feel like a true "season" so much as a week-long event.  The other aspect of this is that the seasons will probably lose their appeal much more quickly.  One can't exactly feel like the concept of "spring coming after winter" is particularly meaningful if you hardly felt winter was there to begin with.

From a gameplay-based standpoint, this also might be a concern for the more casual player, who may only be able to play a couple times a week—or even the more dedicated player who doesn't have a lot of time on their hands in a particular timeframe.  Logging in right after the beginning of a season, once after that, and then it switching to a new season would likely feel very jarring and like they'd missed out on a lot of content—Which seems harsh for just a week's worth of time.  It's something only the frequent players would really capitalize on, if you need to factor in different crops, mobs, caravan routes, and so-on.  The switch to new content and challenges also won't feel meaningful if it's so briefly there, a player can just think "Well, I'll wait a few weeks and it'll be back."  Or, if a specific season inconveniences them: "I'll just ignore it for a few days and it'll be back to normal.".

Effectively, you end up with a situation in which you can only say "Winter's coming" for a few days, and then it's immediately "Spring's coming.".

---

My personal suggestion would be to consider longer timeframes for the seasonal switches, such as a month-per-season.

This might look like:
  • Spring — January, May, September
  • Summer — February, June, October
  • Autumn — March, July, November
  • Winter — April, August, December
It means that we hit every season per real-life season, meaning that related seasonal events can be hosted within those timeframes.  A Halloween-type event could easily still take place in October, or maybe even bleed over into November (it could even be a cool two-phase thing, like the second half of October is for preparing, and the first half of November is when it takes place).  A Winter Holiday themed event could take place in December.  A Summer-type event could easily be June, and a Spring event could take place in May.  It allows it to be nice and tidy, and doesn't have to follow the "force winter for a month for a winter event" proposal that's been suggested.  It could simply take place during one of the winter rotations and be enough for an event to take place in.

From a farming aspect, this also means that crops would fluctuate meaningfully.  There may not be as much of Crop A in the winter, but there might be plenty of Crop B.  This would shift multiple times a year, and could be something both farmers and traders plan for.  A couple weeks isn't likely long enough for that to be felt in the same way.

Ultimately, I do think Ashes may benefit more from having a lengthier time period between season switches and that considering it may be worthwhile.  Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    A week also sounds short to me. The proposed idea looks great on paper. 
  • Options
    I have to agree a week is to short I would say 3 weeks and least otherwise it means verra is orbit is messed up ^^
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    All very good points! I just have a little more that I want to extrapolate on:
    1. MEANINGFUL IMPACT: This isn't so much a new point, on it's own, but I want to expand on it. SO MUCH of ashes is set up so wonderfully to reward and encourage player agency. So many of us can effect change in our game world, by doing so many different things! However, all change takes time. If a new season every week is any indicator of the pace at which such changes will occur, then I fear the standard it sets for the rest of the game. Node sieges have been talked about as happening on monthly cycles. Node development has been talked about as a long ongoing process requiring commitment and dedication of it's population. The economy, gear maintenance, trade routes - ALL of these things are subject to change both on short term notice, AND longterm effects. PVP is going to be the fast paced energetic force for change in the world. It will be frenetic, sporadic, and will carve out the fate of entire cities... Seasons, therefore, could be emphasized and given a more meaningful presence by providing a slower and more uncontrolled set of variables to contrast the staccato of player interactions. The OP said it best: "winter is coming" has lessened meaning when spring is less than five or six 2/3 hour game play sessions away for even the most committed working player.
    2. IMMERSION: I want to lead with the following statement - I understand that change is the lifeblood of the dynamic nature of Ashes of Creation. I understand that players in northern regions who are forced to contend with wintry conditions for inhumane lengths of the year would hate to have to contend with those conditions for those same lengths during their escape into the truly magnificent locales that the talented and passionate environment artists at Intrepid are creating for us. That being said, I have to ask ONE question: "What is the in-game lore to explain a winter that lasts the span of one week?" If whatever 'Calamity' forced our ancestors off of Verra also has forced the planet's weather and very seasons to fluctuate to such a severe degree, then awesome! If magic/corruption/the Calamity is the cause, then we as players do not need to concern ourselves with how quickly flora and fauna grow, live, and die... our characters simply need to adapt.  However, if the sole reason for the seasons of Verra lasting a singular week, each, is a desire to institute more dynamic gameplay - a reason which, while valid, fails to uphold the illusion of Verra as a living world where every character's actions have meaning, and all actions have the potential to effect change. If, every week, entire dungeons and paths are wiped out of the world; If, every week, new creatures are spawning/not spawning; content is locking/unlocking; If, every week, the face of Verra is being so dramatically changed, How can the little changes that I work to cause feel the same? Everything I do becomes overshadowed by a global event that will be gone before I have the time to SIGNIFICANTLY capitalize on it.
    All in all, I recognize that this is perhaps a MASSIVE ask, but since this thread now exists, I KNOW I am not alone in my concerns over it. I will be happy no matter what the decision, and I will continue to support the amazing and inspiring work the Intrepid team is producing. That being said, even lengthening the seasons to a period of not one, but just two weeks would produce significantly more broad and distinctive effects within the global economy/gameplay flow/and production of goods, as well as lend itself to a more varied rhythm of gameplay!
  • Options
    Agree, 1 week is far too short. The seasons are a great addition to the variability of the world but no season changes that quickly. I would personally extend to 6 weeks per season. Giving an opportunity to explore all elements of the world and its seasonal changes across different areas. 
  • Options
    everyone seems to agree 1 week is too short. I'd say 3 weeks to a month or the proposed idea seems alright
  • Options
    Just because people don't comment don't think you have a majority. "Everyone" does not agree. One week per cycle seems fine to me. But I realize it doesn't mean shit what I think. They will institute the system they have stated and planned, and if they think it isn't working out, will change it. All the hand-wringing and "I know better......" posts will not change that.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Just because people don't comment don't think you have a majority. "Everyone" does not agree. One week per cycle seems fine to me. But I realize it doesn't mean shit what I think. They will institute the system they have stated and planned, and if they think it isn't working out, will change it. All the hand-wringing and "I know better......" posts will not change that.
    This is more of a suggestion for them to consider, not a "do this or else".  I'm not angry, I'm not saying I automatically know better, it isn't a demand.  I'm putting my thoughts/initial reaction out there and asking what other people think of them.  A week could end up fine, and I'm sure Intrepid will do whatever they feel is best in regards to this.

Edit:  I'll just add for clarification—I think that it's important to give feedback on something, even if they're just initial reactions.  They can be important, just as they might be something to brush aside and not consider.  I walked into this knowing very well it could fall into either camp.

Thank you for giving your feedback though!  Like I said I want people to share their thoughts.  Is there anything in particular about a one-week cycle that you like the most?  I'd be interesting in hearing what you think about it too.
  • Options
    It was never stated that we felt ourselves to be a majority of the entire player base, UnknownSystemError. And you're right, as I said in my post, Intrepid has no obligation to heed/read/or respond to every opinion about their development decisions. The purpose of this thread is not to effect a change within the design of Ashes of Creation, but to start a friendly and engaging discussion of a feature that some of the community has come to realize that they share.

By all means, I encourage dissent in this thread. I encourage people to disgree with eachother. The only important thing to remember is that no one (not you, not me, no one "for," and no one "against") at all, knows "better/best."

Without the playtest data that Intrepid, themselves, have publicly stated they are looking at that pertains to this feature, no one of us could make any truly informed decision about the optimal seasonal length, at all. The only thing we can do is go on the record, here on the forums, and provide feedback for Intrepid to consider when weighing the pros or cons of lengthening the seasonal shifts.

And, as a final note, as far as I can tell, Voidshadow's use of the word "Everyone" was meant to apply to the collection of members whom have discussed and commented on their opinions regarding the topic of this thread, rather than the community at large, seeing as such a claim would be bold and baseless without any sort of metric to back it.

TLDR: If you feel differently about the points raised thus far, I implore you to talk with us and explain your point of view so that we can all come to a greater understanding of what we, as a community, want out of the Seasonal Cycle in Ashes of Creation.
  • Options
    PSA: If you have any alternative opinion or feelings about the topic at hand, I encourage you to post them. The purpose of this thread is not to make a demand; is not to paint any one side as a majority. The purpose of this thread is to bring Intrepid's attention a conversation that has been happening behind closed doors amongst many community members that I talk to on a regular basis.

Intrepid has already stated they will be playtesting this feature, and since they have repeatedly stated that they wish to be transparent and engage with the community, it does no one any good to keep their opinions silent.

I invite/implore any and ALL dissenters to make their feelings known so that we can have an open and honest discussion about how we'd all like to see the game we've come to love watch grow... well, grow.
  • Options
    I also think a longer seasonal cycle would be better for immersion and to feel comfortable with the mechanics. Not everyone is going to be able to play every day for hours at a time. I think at least 2 weeks would allow people to come on and enjoy the changes at their own pace and prep for the upcoming changes. I do like it being a factor of a week. Feels like a nice measurement (although I'd like 2 weeks). 

That being said, if they are going to plan in-game and rl holidays around the schedule, it'll have to be divisible into 52 (number of weeks in a year) by a multiple of 4 (number of seasons) that way they can have the same cycle every year. This would leave 1 week as the only multiple unfortunately. However, with a little work, they could move the holidays around a little here and there or make a season a month.

It boils down to short but reliable and easy vs month long (long) seasons vs something in the middle that'd require management but would probably give the best pacing for the game. 
  • Options
    @Maevynn   Love how you expressed a concern for something I posted about sometime last year.  I also love the schedule you posted for what months would be what season.  A week is just way too short in that it feels like it just arrived and it's gone.  I really hope Ashes takes this into consideration, and we get to test this out.
  • Options
    This is a sentiment I personally 100% agree with.

Regardless of product type, a product that is designed and produced by actual professionals in their field - without the hindrance of the general public and it's whims - will almost always be far superior to a product designed by people that are taking in to account the differing, often conflicting opinions of the masses.

The thing that attracts me to Ashes the most is the notion that Steven and Intrepid have their vision, and the opinions of us - the unwashed masses - won't factor in to it too much.

That said, we all still have opinions, and are free to post them.

Intrepid won't change their mind on something based solely on a post, so posting opinions can't hurt the game.

So with that said, my opinions...

For me, there are three major considerations to take in to account with season implementation. There is the effect they have on the economy, there is the effect they have on in game events, and then there is their implementation in relation to each areas location in Verra.

For economy, if there are going to be some products that can only be produced in a given season, month long seasons are not feasible. That would see the game be without that product for three months at a time. On the other hand, if at most there are products that can only be produced in two seasons, or that are unable to be produced in a single season, then month long seasons are fine.

As to events, it is a serious pet hate of mine for games to celebrate seasons (or have season themed celebrations) when the in game calendar is telling us it is a different season to the one being celebrated. This will be even more pronounced in a game like Ashes with in game seasons not just having a visual impact, but also with systems that will change based on seasons.

I remember posting on the EQNext forums about exactly how long an in game day should last. Using the known Norrathian calendar, and it's four year cycle, I calculated exactly how long each day needed to be - down to the second - in order for the in game calendar and it's events like Christmas and Halloween to best match up with our calendar.

Lastly, location. I don't want to see the whole of Verra covered in snow in winter. This would actually be stupid in my opinion - as in reality only about 10% of the world has seasonal snow like this.

I'd like to see alpine regions covered in snow three months of the year, but tropical regions shouldn't even have a winter or summer.

To really drive home the immersion factor, I'd like to see Intrepid have an equatorial region in Verra that only has a wet and dry season, with the seasons above and below this region having opposite seasons - so while it is summer in the north it is winter in the south. I've seen games try and explain away having single seasons at a time over the whole game world, but other than "because magic", all explanations I've seen actually explain away any basis for seasons to exist at all.

As a bonus, if there is a north and south with differing seasons, and if there are products that can only be grown in a given season, the additional seasonal trade routes that opens up would be awesome.

After all of that, I guess I don't have a preferred length of season as yet, as there are other things I'd like to be taken in to consideration in regards to seasons more than just how long the last.

• Options
    Well, Noanni, given that we've seen some tropical environment concept art I think it's safe to assume not all regions will end up with snow, which is actually another point that would be fun to work around in the game. Nodes where seasons like winter are less severe are likely to impacted less by the effects of that season. having those areas capable of gathering resources that become unavailable to the northern nodes would immediately mean that they get a boon to exports and trade during that season. Depending on how varied Verra is, it's entirely possible that NOTHING will be completely impossible to produce during any season, whatsoever. The only thing that would change, in that case, is the price of the item in nodes where it needs to be imported over great distances.
  • Options
    1 week is too short but a month might be over doing it, I'd say around 15 days so 2 seasons per month on average.
  • Options
    2 seasons a month is too fast. Think of events that could occur on specific seasons then everything will go too fast before we can even enjoy it.

I think it should be close to real time events.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Noaani said: [snip]
    I really appreciate this awesome and in-depth input!  Seriously, this is a great post, and I'm really loving all the work you put into answering.  As I've said before, I totally understand I could be wrong with my initial read and trust Intrepid to do whatever is best.  This is was just a personal concern that could pan out to be nothing at all.  If you don't mind, I'd like to just share my thoughts on each point—I had thought about them some, but I didn't want to make my post so lengthy that nobody would read through it.  :s

Here's a list of things I'm referencing.

Economy-

I completely agree, and three months without something might be very severe and they might have to design around it, such as alternating when things are available or something being able to be made for multiple seasons (2 or 3).  The economy in this is definitely a huge concern, and as you said—waiting multiple months for something to hit the market again is just so severe it would need to be thought out extremely well.  You have a very strong point there.

Location + Seasons in general-

Steven has mentioned that certain areas won't have much seasonal change at all because—as you said—not all of the world has seasonal changes like that, and that certain events can impact the weather and make them "stay" as something in a region.

So we might get perma-winter in an area because of an event, or we might get perma-summer in an area because of the results of an event.  The example given was that a winter dragon might spawn and if the players don't defeat it it will make it stay winter.  Depending on how wide-spanning that effect is, we might end up with a lengthy time of there being winter in a part of the world anyway—which was a point I was trying to think on some with my original post.  "If we can screw around with the weather to potentially make an area stay perma-winter if we lose, would a longer season—if it was planned for—be out of character?  Would it ruin the game?"

Events-

We do know that there seem to be IRL holidays that match up to IRL times planned.

I completely agree about the "pet hate" of seasonal events/holidays just not matching up at all, and I think the one-season-a-week thing makes it impossible for them to match up without some finagling of some sort.  We're either going to be rolling through multiple seasons during a Winter Holidays event (such as holiday decorations being up for an entire rotation of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), or they'll have to do something to make it stay the season they intend during the event.
  • Options
    So yeah... 2 seasons a month (if the seasons are bound to months and not weeks) might work. I think it would be a nice balance between atmosphere and pacing.

As to concerns of items not being able to be grown for months... well that's how the market works. You could grow strawberries in spring and summer and they'd sell cheap then you could dry them and sell them over the winter for a premium. Or at least I hope that is an option, because if they go through the effort of having seasonal fruits then I really hope they have quality degradation. Things should need to be preserved to be sold in off-seasons. Maybe have migratory animals that only show up during certain seasons and require the meat to be preserved to sell during their migration period. 

On top of this, I hope that each zone has a temperature category. This way perhaps we can continue to grow many crops in warmer areas during fall and winter. Plus we've seen a greenhouse skin so maybe they'll add those as a functional building for farming. The only thing that should change is price... and that is a really good thing. This is how you have an economy. You have people that specialize in certain product, including off-season production. Supply goes down, price goes up... same inverted.

I really would love to see a temperate climate producing exotic fruits and shipping them to colder areas for big money. I'd also love to see colder areas breeding animals and shipping animal pelts to those warmer areas. All in all I think having different temperature zones would be the best thing. This way some zones could farm longer and others could specialize in things found in the extreme cold/hot.
  • Options
    Agree that one week is to short but one month is too long. Would prefer;
    • week 1; Winter
    • week 2; Winter turning to Spring (variable number of days)
    • week 3; Spring
    • week 4; Spring turning to Summer (variable number of days)
    and so on.

This would allow for longer and shorter seasons while still giving the season their distinctive flavors.

Granted, this would entail a lot of work for the turning of the seasons rather than the four standard templates. But if anyone could pull it off it would be the excellent team at IS.  ;)

• Options
    Loyheta said:
    [snip]
    I believe they did say that they wanted to factor things in—such as a freehold by a river might have better farming land than one somewhere else.  So I'd imagine climate would be something they'd consider as well when it comes to that.

Item preservation was what I was considering as well with it.  The ideal scenario is that there'd be plenty of [insert spring/summer crop here] during Winter, it might just be priced up a bit.  Not to mention, some areas may be able to make the stuff all year round.  A hotter climate might always be able to make summer crops.  A colder climate might always be able to make autumn crops.  The idea wouldn't be "bankrupt the market of all of this crop during the off-seasons".  Worst case scenario, someone might have to travel to a different part of the map to get fruit that can't be grown in their climate if their local market doesn't have it.  And think of how much that'd sell for if they brought a lot of it back!
    Morashtak said:
    [snip]

I think adding more phases to the seasons might complicate things a bit—like you said it requires a lot of extra work.  It'd make the transitions feel nicer and less sudden, but it means that they'd have to consider twice the amount of phases.  And even if it's just aesthetic changes, that is quite the amount of work.  We do also have to factor in that not every place in the world will be feeling the effects of the seasons much, so the increments for a lot of areas might be totally ignored aside from the extremes of things like Cold/Not-As-Cold or Dry/Wet.

It would definitely be nice to see stuff like the ice having just melted and everything is brown and gray before the leaves/grass start growing—or there being frost on the ground in some places in a Fall-Winter transition period.  But I think in that respect gameplay and design elements that don't stress the level design team might have to trump immersion.

I do like the general idea of it, though!
  • Options
    With all the mention of an economic seasonal effect, I have to wonder about the longterm effects of lengthier seasons, even LONGER than mere weeks or a month.

DISCLAIMER: "REEEEEEEEEEE THREE MONTHS WITHOUT CRAFTING MATERIALS THREE MONTHS WITH SNOW." Yeah I get it, please hold questions till after I'm done, thanks.

EXAMPLE:
    You have a node that's in a major central position between four metropolises (Metropoli?). This node is a prospering trade center between all the other cities, and has become the server's exchange point for rare goods and materials. Then winter sets in, and for a couple weeks, they are doing fine. suddenly, a neighboring Militaristic node marches on them. They take the city without issue, and now every remaining metropolis is cut off from one another by closed winter paths and a lack of trade.

All through this winter, the conquerors wage war, and raid caravans, and are attempting to set up the next city to fall in their conquest. But then, to the north, desperate scouts discover a cave at the end of a frozen lake. After clearing out the angry bears hibernating within they find a wealth of immensely rare and almost unheard of material within a dungeon. They take it back to their crafters, and suddenly the tables start to turn. This northern node hoards as much of this material as it can gather, and races against the spring thaw to arm it's armies and shift it's focus to defense.

By the time the southern conquerors can finally move their equipment through the mountains, in spring, they are deftly and mercilessly crushed by the well equipped northerners. The conquerors become the conquered at what was once a small mining town has now become the pinnacle of defensive armaments for their entire server.

VICTORY!

...Or is it? Now that the southerners are on the defensive, they have all summer spring and fall to find their own "silver bullet." Will they strike back, or will the northerners find it first and crush them? And it won't stop there. these secrets are now out of the bottle. In a full year, the southerners will have an opportunity to launch a campaign and claim the northern homelands, potentially evening the playing field for the inevitable rematch.

These are the kinds of stories and battles that leave us all on the edge of our seats. They make us lean in and pay attention. They reward ingenuity and cunning, and punish shortsightedness and tunnelvision. The northerner players explored and PVE'd and due to their unique seasonal situation, were able to repel the advances of the southerners.

But it could be so much more than that. Perhaps one of the other cities sees what happens, and seizes the Northern homeland at the onset of the next winter. They gather the resources, but instead of using them, they move them to a more secure location. This node then reaches out to all the other Metroploises (/metropoli?) in the server, come spring, and profits off the arms race, for as long as they can.

After all, When there's blood in the water... The sharks will feed.

The point is thus: Realtime seasons could - for all their disadvantages and woes - offer an INVALUABLE advantage to a cunning mind and industrious group of players. If we simply have this much more time to capitalize on seasonal changes, every year has the potential to play out this dramatically and broadly. And the best part about it? WE WOULD BE THE ONES CREATING THE EVENTS! Intrepid will regularly create situations and node development triggers to throw a wrench in our in-game schemes, but what fun are the wrenches if the schemes are so forcefully limited?

If seasons change once a week, as proposed, items such as this "material" that I theorize about above, lose much of their value. Every four weeks, they are accessible again; Every four weeks, they can give someone else an advantage; Every four weeks, the playing field is made even.

I understand my example above is a very narrow example of a potential occurrence, and that MANY areas will have new points of interest during the same and even differnt seasons. I also concede that some of the actions I described could also take place within the one week, two week, 15 day, or even monthly seasonal lengths. The point I'm trying to make is that if these seasons are shortened, most specifically to a length of only one week, then these sorts of game changing events will never even have a chance to happen. If supply lines are vulnerable in winter, we won't be able to exploit their vulnerability in time for it to meaningfully effect change within our long term goals, or if we do it will only be because for a week we managed to enact whatever plan we managed to formulate. It will have a lessened effect on our plans, at least as far siegeing a node goes, because we will have only had a week to make a dent in our target's economic stability.

Good plans take time, but if the seasons are truly meant to make the game world change as heavily as they have been stated to, they need to change the world for lengths of time that will truly allow those changes to have an effect. Saying that something is going to change everything, but only for a week at a time, isn't really saying it changes much at all.

TLDR:
    Three months would affect the world in ways one week would never be able to accomplish.

+Three months of Spring.
    +Three months of Summer.
    +Three months of Autumn.
    +Three months of Winter.

Yes, it would be a massively long time to go between seasons. Yes it's certainly going to screw with the economy in some ways. But you know what? I as a player don't mind that. If ashes had seasons that reflected real life season cycles, it wouldn't deter me from playing. It would encourage exploration. I'd find ways to adapt to that change. I would get far less pleasure from an narrow and repetitive weekly grind than I would from a three month long period of having to learn and adapt to changes in my environment - it's less formulaic, and more organic, and (when I DO manage to successfully exploit it) I would be elated because the reward factor for solving a long-term problem is innately higher than simply making it through the week. I do that in real life, why do I want to have to do that in Ashes?
  • Options
    @PocketNord
    Yeah so.. regardless of how long a year is in-game you'll be spending a quarter of RL year in each season. Whether a season is 1 week, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, etc only affects how long an in-game year is. Guess what, whether a year lasts a month, 2 months, or 4 months if a crop takes 1 month in-game time to grow... it'll still take 1 month. 

So if a year is a month and a season is a week (rl) a month could be a day (ugh this pacing is way too fast) it'll take a crop an hour to grow.

Now if a year is 2 months, a season 2 weeks, and a month could be 2 days (still a little fast imo) a crop could take 2 hours to grow.

Now if a year is 4 months, a season a month, and a month could be half a week. It could take the same crop 6 hours to grow.

See, when the pacing is set you can set everything else around that. Increase a season, make seasonal produce take longer. Make it take longer for animals to reproduce and grow to adulthood. Everything can be set to the in-game clock. This controls the market and the economy. 
  • Options
    The total amount of a product won't change over the long term based on seasons, so the only concern is how much do we want the market to fluctuate.  I think having longer seasons would definitely make the economy a lot more interesting.  Having a product that might sell for double for a full month(winter) would add a lot of depth to the game.  And make more tropical areas, that may not be affected by winter, become prime real estate for farmers.  The problem I see with 1 week season is that it will become a neat aesthetic but inconsequential.  I'd rather feel the seasons truly affect the game.

• Options
    I'm on board for longer seasons.  At minimum I think each season should be 2 weeks, whether specified by specific months/dates or just set to rotate.  I would prefer each season being a month long, but understand you have to take into account what content is and isn't available each season and how long you want that content gated by time.

But yes, I would love month long seasons myself.
  • Options
    Each season i believe should match the real world season times so as to add holiday events. And it would be more immersive in my opinion plus they could set it up to be like us as players gotta prepare for the changing of the seasons and to me i feel like even a month isnt enough time.
  • Options
    (As an aside—looks like this sort of thing was discussed a while ago as well!  Had no idea that thread existed.  Stumbled upon it the other day.)

Lots of interesting ideas/viewpoints overall, though!  It's really interesting to see what different thoughts people have on it with what we know so far—hopefully when we learn more we can get a better idea of what it is that they have planned for is when it comes to seasons overall.
  • Options
    Each season i believe should match the real world season times so as to add holiday events. And it would be more immersive in my opinion plus they could set it up to be like us as players gotta prepare for the changing of the seasons and to me i feel like even a month isnt enough time.
    I don't know how long I want seasons to be, but I can tell you what I don't want and it's this.  At least, not aligned at ALL times...   because where I live, winter feels like it can go on for ages.  And I KNOW that through much of it, I'm going to want to play in a game that feels more like spring or summer when I'm stuck in real world winter. 

But what I haven't seen discussed too much here is the fact that seasons aren't the same in all places. 
    There are undoubtedly going to be places in the game where winter seasons are milder (southern climates for example), and other places where summer seasons are lesser or shorter.  (Such as the far northern areas)

So this being the case, perhaps my own fears are for nought. There will probably be some places in the game that always have snow, and some places that will never see it.  Only locations in between will see greater diversity of the changing of the seasons.  

• Options
    ... Alpha 1 has not even begun. Nothing is set in stone. Everything is subject to debate, play testing, and ultimately... change.

People are voicing concerns about potential issues because now is the best time to do so, while the game is still being created and systems put together.

I'd rather that IS try to get all of its features and systems as close to perfect as possible before launch. I've seen far too many recent MMOs hemorrhage players due to a poor lauch. I'd rather IS not make that same mistake.
    Noaani said:

For economy, if there are going to be some products that can only be produced in a given season, month long seasons are not feasible. That would see the game be without that product for three months at a time. On the other hand, if at most there are products that can only be produced in two seasons, or that are unable to be produced in a single season, then month long seasons are fine.
    A good point.

Perhaps scarcity is an intended feature of the game. Summer crops, for instance, will flood the markets during summer and become more rare as autumn turns to winter, and then to spring. Perhaps savvy investors will take advantage of that and hold some of those crops (or better yet, products like jams, preserves, potions, and elixirs made from those crops) for sale at a higher price once supply drops significantly.

Or perhaps there will also be alternative crops/resources in the other seasons that can substitute for summer crops. Maybe winters will be defined by roasted deer gathered by local hunters, and mushroom soup made from the deep-mountain mushroom farms run by the Dwarves. At that point, products made from summer crops would be a luxury.

Noaani said:

Lastly, location. I don't want to see the whole of Verra covered in snow in winter. This would actually be stupid in my opinion - as in reality only about 10% of the world has seasonal snow like this.

I'd like to see alpine regions covered in snow three months of the year, but tropical regions shouldn't even have a winter or summer.

To really drive home the immersion factor, I'd like to see Intrepid have an equatorial region in Verra that only has a wet and dry season, with the seasons above and below this region having opposite seasons - so while it is summer in the north it is winter in the south. I've seen games try and explain away having single seasons at a time over the whole game world, but other than "because magic", all explanations I've seen actually explain away any basis for seasons to exist at all.
    Well... a planet with a 0 degree axis and an irregular orbit certainly could have global seasons. Summer comes when Verra is closer to the sun, and winter comes when Verra is at its furthermost part of its orbit.

Of course, the equator would still be warmer than the poles, but it is possible that the atmospheric composition of the planet offsets the temperature differences between the equator and the poles so that they are less extreme than what we see on Earth.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I feel that 1-week is definitely way to short for a season. However, I also feel that seasons that last longer than a month might be too long. This is informed by my understanding that there will be several things you can (and can't do) whilst in each season.

My gut says that maybe 2-3 week long seasons might be more appropriate when considering the various limitations and opportunities they each present.

All in all, both Intrepid and the testers will have a better sense of the seasons once we get stuck into alpha and beta. I am positive that Intrepid will make the right decision after it has been tested with the community,
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I guess it all depends on how long you want your seasonal events to be, considering many events wouldn't make sense occurring over the course of multiple seasons. Not to mention the ever-changing and responsive world is likely to have some seasonal threats or dungeons that require certain weather/climate-based conditions to appear. Whether one week is enough time for the player-base to complete a season's worth of meaningful content is entirely up to the developers.
  • Options
    A lot of players have work and family obligations throughout much of the week, affording them only a block of one or two days in which they can devote a reasonable amount of time to the game.

If the seasons change weekly, then so do other features such as trade routes, quests, gathering, etc. That means those who only have one or two days of solid play time would be forced to adjust to seasonal changes for the majority of their play time.

Take those who can only play on Saturdays, with perhaps a little more time devoted on Sunday. Every Saturday this player would have to investigate possible changes to trade routes, possible changes to quests or activities due to the changing season, market changes due to shifting supplies and demand. Once that is done, the player would have to cram as much of the seasonal content into his weekend play time since everything would have changed again by the next weekend.

Sounds like a recipe for losing a huge chunk of AoC's casual players, quite frankly.

I think monthly seasonal shifts would work better. Casual gamers would be able to spend the first weekend adjusting to changes and figuring out what seasonal content to focus on, and then have three weekends to carry out those plans.