Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you think my.com can handle the publishing of Ashes of Creation?

Like many of you, I was in shock when I found out that my.com was the publisher for ashes in the EU and after listing to steven yesterday in the discord I felt that a lot was said, but we did not get any hard answers. I know the EU comunity is not happy with this arrangement, but if this is what intrepid has decided, then I would like to have faith that they know what they are doing. I am keeping my personal feeling to a minimum in this post as I want to see what you, the comunity thinks about my.com. If steven is right and my.com has changed do you believe they have the resources and workforce to publish ashes in the EU?

Comments

• Options
    Im still in the wait and see camp, however I do not have high hopes, i don't have firsthand experience with my.com. However i was following revelation, and decided not to bother with because i was observing that trainwreck from afar. 

So ill wait and see but like I said  i dont have high hopes
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe My.com was the best choice it may have been financially and creativity for intrepid but for the hassle it will cause later on it will come round to bite them big time. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I expect to see the (Lazy Peon "Why I am no longer hyped for AoC")  Deaths Proxy already slammed into it and Paradox Gaming Network made a really good analysis too.
  • Options
    The question will be less if they can do it, but how well will it be done?

On the one hand I believe Steven when he says my.com were the only ones meeting certain criteria. Leaving creative control with IS and even sharing the vision (most importantly no p2w) behind Ashes. Stephen would never hand over his baby to someone to let them (immediately) drown it. These were non-negotiable terms and we're pretty safe to assume my.com won't have any latitude there.

On the other hand I wonder how much Steven was willing to sacrifice for a pre-2020 release? Did keeping this promise force him to choose the only publisher that could provide the necessary structures to best ensure such an early release? I can't imagine there were no options in regard of creative control and game direction, but the critical point of a 2020 release really seemed to diminish the publishers able to realize a rather great project in such a short time.

In the end my.com may have been the only viable solution when IS wanted to meet certain goals, meaning (impending) bad customer service, bad server performance,... may have been a necessary evil.
    It's hard to tell if my.com can deliver everything that was promised, but when it came to the reasons why IS chose my.com (in yesterday's Discord Q&A) it seemed more about what my.com has to offer to IS and not to us customers.

So my.com may be the only publisher able to deliver before 2020, but at what price?

Nevertheless I remain secptical yet otimistic B)
  • Options

• Options
    Aw HELL naw ! Sort it out guys.. 
  • Options
    I dont think they cant handle it but any potential players from the EU will want nothing to do with my.com due to their reputation, I trust Intrepid (albeit a bit less now) but I sure as hell wont trust my.com especially since the last mmo I tried was Revelations Online. We just have to wait and see and hope for no region blocks.
  • Options
    Giving them a chance with @GMSteven's chance is logical I guess and I want to trust him. I have no first hand experience of my.com so It's easier for me to do so. People have major concerns and what bothers me the most about all this is the effect this will have on prospective players in the EU. The game is far more popular in the US and has been since it's announcement, and I'm not convinced the EU could take a hit like this, especially if region locking does get implemented. I really do wish Intrepid would publish in EU like all the other regions.  
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Giving them a chance with @GMSteven's chance is logical I guess and I want to trust him. 
    Lol like thousands before have trusted hundreds of different dev teams. Always ends the same. Steven seemed different being a old school RPG type of guy but obviously a shrewd businessman getting to where he is. Going my.com is more business less passion for the game. End of the day game still looks sick and most will play it regardless of being dirtied by my.com. 
  • Options
    After doing some research on the history of my.com this decision is extremely puzzling to me. Almost on the level of if Steven announcing that EA will be taking over development of Ashes and we should just trust him.
  • Options
    No. The only thing they can handle is installing their malware on your pc and sending your data to third party companies.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Giving them a chance with @GMSteven's chance is logical I guess and I want to trust him. 
    Lol like thousands before have trusted hundreds of different dev teams. Always ends the same.
    I concede your point but what else are we going to have other than words before launch? It's done.  
  • Options
    I m Australia yeey
  • Options
    I said no because everyone seems to hate them. I'm going with the crowd on this one.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    I said no because everyone seems to hate them. I'm going with the crowd on this one.
    If you want to educate yourself on some of the issues with my.com, some people on the discord made a nice list with links. It's still WIP so there'll probably be more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HqGAB1Z5xG-aqJYY0j1R1oGMEcWeAYRSNXoixalPNgc/edit
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Even though I don't think they will handle it well, I will say that they likely do have the capacity to do it well if they wanted to. Given their track record, I see no reason why they wouldn't cut as many corners as possible to maximize their revenue at the expense of their players. This is aside from the scummy shit they've pulled like the malware, and selling customer data.

There is however, a sort of bright side to this case which makes me think it wouldn't end as badly as My.com's previous MMO's. The contract, while the details given are minimal, seems to be fairly strict about several things. They won't have control over any content in the game or when/if patches are delivered in a timely manner. They apparently will also only be partially responsible for maintenance and customer service. This is all according to the discord Q&A yesterday. The less control My.com has, the less corners they can cut. But, this still leaves them with enough responsibility to cause a pretty terrible customer experience.

I don't think EU players have to worry about AoC becoming P2W or not being properly localized. But account security, data selling and server performance remain very concerning.

The truth is, I don't believe Steven is intentionally trying to throw EU players under the bus. I think he got bamboozled by some smooth talkers at My.com who recognized his situation and told him everything he wanted to hear. My.com smelled the money growing on trees and pounced on the opportunity, securing probably the best deal they're ever likely to get. 

I think this partnership will be damaging to AoC (given My.com's reputation at the very least), but it won't kill it. I'm no lawyer, but if it gets really bad or My.com is unable to meet the terms of the contract then the partnership could very well end. It's too early to tell how it will play out in the long run, however, it is very concerning.

Edit: There's one more thing I forgot to include. The original plan was to self publish the game in every region I believe, but since then the EU passed the GDPR. Again, I'm no lawyer, but this apparently makes it much harder and more expensive to publish in the EU, so it was likely a large factor in the decision to go with an EU publisher.
  • Options
    I want to say no, but I don't really have anything but 2nd hand information
  • Options
    I have selected undecided as I don't know.  I hope they will have to match the NA servers for performance to meet any contract agreement,  I hope I.S. will control the cash shop.  @GMSteven has said I.S. will retain complete control of content.  So the main issues will be can MY.Com keep our data safe, dispense quality service? They have a terrible track record for both. The sad fact is until we have been playing a while on the live severs we will not know the answer to any of the questions.  Soooo I have my figures crossed and have taken to forcing bypasses in the street to cross their fingers too in the hope that I.S. keep MY.com in check so that all the regions have the same gaming experience as each other.
  • Options
    Its going to be funny to see the amount people unable to play AoC because of charging back previous my.com titles.  
  • Options
    I've never played a game from My.com very long. I'm not in the position to judge them, I neither know good nor bad things about them. I, personally, will wait and see.
  • Options
    Saw the combat video the other day which was the last thing i needed to feel certain that i was gonna play this..Then today i read that my.com is going to be the publishers for EU were i live and i logged here to see if it was really true and now that excitement i felt over the combat is gone.

I mean we have seen so many MMO's go down at release and none of them is going to get a second chance. They will struggle until they go maintenance mode and hopefully they got some money back from those mmo's, but mostly not. So there is no room for wait and see. It is this one time only release and that is it.

If you have a publisher who already shown how terrible they handle the games the publish, why would anyone want to pick them for the EU market. EU is huge and have tons of players, why does it feel like you just dumped us? 

• Options
    Ups clicked the wrong answer...Seems I can't change my answer. But I wanted to vote 'No'.
  • Options
    Sorry, all clicks are recorded at time of submit. Your feedback will go a long ways to validating the choices made. Thank you for your support, that single vote is what pushed it into the acceptable range for publication.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I think it is too early to state anything at this point. For sure, they will need to make some *adjustments* from their current track record.
  • Options
    @nagash Did Steven provide an explanation on discord? i'm not there so can you post his answer here? i honestly have no experience with my.com and hit yes to the poll on a whim really
  • Options
    LoanWolf said:
    Its going to be funny to see the amount people unable to play AoC because of charging back previous my.com titles.  
    Or by voting no in this poll!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Kratz said:
    I don't think that was enough from steven. Like i said, i have no experience with my.com but based on what everyone is saying, i have no reason to trust them. I trust steven but not them and so i think Steven made a mistake this time. The thing i want to know is who holds customer information. Steven said that intrepid will be working closely with my.com and its nice to hear but trust isn't easy to come by.

Based on these forums, My.com and mail.ru is russian and only cares about money. <i know that people think this is a negative but if money is in their best interest, then they may be willing to help the players just this once. One can only hope however...

I'd also like to know who else Steven was in talks with but i doubt he is allowed to release that information
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    I'd also like to know who else Steven was in talks with but i doubt he is allowed to release that information

Yeah, I doubt we'll get that info and tbh, I think there'd be unhappy folks whoever else got the publishing deal. My hope was that IS would self-publish but it's not going to happen. If region locking is confirmed as a no go on Friday then we get to try and see if my.com manages to surpass expectations at launch or bolt to the US if concerns materialise. Either way, I'm too invested in this game to walk away over this as some have hinted at. I really believe in what Steven and Intrepid are doing with Ashes.

It's been an exhausting two days with all the my.com drama but I'm hoping Alpha 1 will take everyone's minds of it, and help us refocus on the most important thing - the game. :) 

• Options
    Thanks for the votes everyone I got way more votes than I thought I would. I appreciate all the comments as well.