Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

With all of the my.com rabble

Comments

• Options
    Sintu said:
    I really hope to see some of them playing on the NA servers
    That is probably the biggest downside to this whole ordeal. I don't remember where, but on one of the discord channels I recall seeing a screens jotted comment stating that region locked ip would be a thing.  But thanks for remaining hopeful with some of us. Obviously we're not happy, but at least we can hope.
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    That is probably the biggest downside to this whole ordeal. I don't remember where, but on one of the discord channels I recall seeing a screens jotted comment stating that region locked ip would be a thing.  But thanks for remaining hopeful with some of us. Obviously we're not happy, but at least we can hope.
    Actually the good news is Steven said in discord chat he was heading to my.com headquarters to lay down there would be no region lock and to confirm with them no P2W, etc.

Also, Pooka is 100% fine with EU players on NA servers, they add a bit of class, like Monocles and Tea.
  • Options
    Pooka said:
    Sintu said:
    Actually the good news is Steven said in discord chat he was heading to my.com headquarters to lay down there would be no region lock and to confirm with them no P2W, etc.

Also, Pooka is 100% fine with EU players on NA servers, they add a bit of class, like Monocles and Tea.
    I mean yeah I would love or them to have the option should they want it. I just hope that Steven can get the my.com people to agree to that. I feel like it would be a great first step to reassuring the community that intrepid still has control and that they can handle this.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Pooka said:
    But to cry doom and gloom without knowing ANYTHING isn't a good thing.  There's been hardly any "Lets wait and see how things turn out, and if it doesn't work then we flip the table"  Instead people are squealing as if it's the end of the game, which it really isn't the case.  People need to trust in Steven, he knows what he's doing.
    Of course it's not the end of the game. Not for the NA at least. As long the NA does not get scammy publishers the game should be fine. The problem here is just related to the EU population. Can you blame us for being disappointed at this deal, when you already had tons of threads stating as to why? What part of My.Scam being a known vulture and game killing company did you fail to understand? It's not your bank information and account management that's going to be handled by those guys so it's easy for you to be ok with it and hoping for everything to be fine. But if you really are curious and want to know more details about why people are freaking out then you should see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNDTl_4HCs&amp=&t=935s

Asking for trust under this circunstances and saying this is not a big of a deal, that people are just crying over nothing and never trusted IS's vision in the first place is just ludicrous to say at least and extremelly unfair.

• Options
    Pooka said:
    Sintu said:

I mean yeah I would love or them to have the option should they want it. I just hope that Steven can get the my.com people to agree to that. I feel like it would be a great first step to reassuring the community that intrepid still has control and that they can handle this.
    Pooka knows that Steven is going to the my.com HQ to discuss/confirm the no region lock and some other concerns folk have.  Pooka has faith Steven will do whatever he can to protect us from the big bad my.com from "ruining" any sort of AoC fun.
  • Options
    Problem is that My.com haven't just had one or two problems when publishing. Basically they have messed up every single aspect of being a publisher for all of their games. Games where they promised similar things to what they and Steven are right now.

A contract can only do so much. Maybe the servers will be better, and there won't be p2w, but you can't write a contract that will overhaul the whole company, which is what's needed.

My.com is a scam company that don't care about anything other than money. It's possible they will change, but why would they?

They would need to hire a ton of people that actually know something, cause their current employees clearly don't know shit about anything.

I will keep close attention to what happens the coming days/weeks, but it's not looking good for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    I should use that aswell

NAGASH HAS SPOKEN!
    I like it as well i think i will use it all so :)

BEYOND HAS SPOKEN!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Pooka, I think it's fair to say that people who put their money into this game want it to succeed. I certainly do. I did put a lot of faith here given what Steve himself has said, the team he's hired, and that it is a Western MMO. We've been burned so many times by numerous hype trains, each having ambitious claims, and MMO communities hoping that they'll be the Next Big Thing (tm). Invariably, they've all turned out to be smoke and mirrors, and it obviously gets to that point where those who are hungry for something awesome are tired of being taken advantage of with broken promises.
    This is a legitimate concern, and more so when you add a company like my.com into the equation. I do not doubt that Steve wants his baby to succeed. But alarm bells go off when a company who game after game shows that the only consistency they possess is shoddiness. Why, or just as importantly how would this case be different?
    I'm sure there were many on discord who were there to troll, gloat and simply nay say for the sake of naysaying. But that's the Internet, there are always going to be people like that. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush, there are genuine concerns here, and given the wrecks after so many hype trains in recent years 'having faith' simply isn't enough anymore.
  • Options
    Hmm I am going to jump on the sign off bandwagon.

PJ RYDECKER has mummmmbbled something no one is interested in........ whimper :'(  
  • Options
    Laws to me are not a good enough reason.
    That's the thing though, if Ashes had self-published in the EU, not only would it cost a fortune, but it would also leave IS in the wake of lawsuits.

There are Fortune 500 companies that poured A LOT of money  into coming in compliance with the law and are still facing many lawsuits.  Tons of companies have been forced to shut down or fold, and the overall law is just cancer to data companies.  This all happened just recently, you really can't blame IS, it's possible this was the only way for the time being.
  • Options
    Sintu said:
     Even if Ashes becomes the game we all hope it will be...i still find it hypocritical with all the talk of evil P2W games by Steven that he would then go and give business to a company that maybe the worst of the worst at it.
    I find this point interesting. I don't understand it, but perhaps I don't need to.

Personally, I only really care about the quality and integrity of Ashes of Creation. Any other consideration is secondary, tertiary, or doesn't even rank in as an afterthought.

I view Steven as a visionary who is creating a game that may take the MMO genre to the next level. I do not see him as a moral crusader taking the Hammer of Righteousness to 'P2W evil-doers' like My.com. I figure Steven has more pressing things to do than single-handedly fixing the wrongs in the MMO industry.

If dealing with My.com is what Steven needs to do in order to publish the game in Europe, then that is what Steven will do.

I understand that you may disagree, in which case I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
  • Options
    Pooka said:
    That's the thing though, if Ashes had self-published in the EU, not only would it cost a fortune, but it would also leave IS in the wake of lawsuits.

There are Fortune 500 companies that poured A LOT of money  into coming in compliance with the law and are still facing many lawsuits.  Tons of companies have been forced to shut down or fold, and the overall law is just cancer to data companies.  This all happened just recently, you really can't blame IS, it's possible this was the only way for the time being.
    I think you miss the point which might explain your lack of empathy here.

People are upset by the choice of my.com. not so much that IS isn't self publishing.

I feel like any reasonable person understands the limits and expenses via regulations. The problem is WHO they went with, not WHY.
  • Options
    SaintJ said:
    Pooka said:

Then my point still stands, then they should not have let EU participate in the kickstarter.
    So self publishing costs money, so let's put EU with My.com while we make money from that deal. While we self publish all the other places.
    Cause is My.com offers such an amazing deal why not publish with My.com everywhere.

Sorry but that's the thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

Imagine paying 10,000 dollars for a pack, and feeling like you get the short end of the stick in in comparison to a player from NA with a company like My.com.

It's just not nice!!!!!

Do i believe Steven will do anything in his power to make sure his EU base can be happy. I do believe that, the question will be is it enough since it is after all My.com.

P.S i did not pay 10,000 xD
    Pooka understands that you are upset and given the reputation of them Pooka also doesn't trust my.com.  Pooka trusts Steven, nothing else.  As far as the publishing goes, their original desire was to self publish everywhere, but because of the restrictions and the laws put into effect since that desire has changed.  It's cheaper to publish through my.com than to self publish is most likely the reason.
  • Options
    Nefelia said:
    Sintu said:
     Even if Ashes becomes the game we all hope it will be...i still find it hypocritical with all the talk of evil P2W games by Steven that he would then go and give business to a company that maybe the worst of the worst at it.
    I find this point interesting. I don't understand it, but perhaps I don't need to.

Personally, I only really care about the quality and integrity of Ashes of Creation. Any other consideration is secondary, tertiary, or doesn't even rank in as an afterthought.

I view Steven as a visionary who is creating a game that may take the MMO genre to the next level. I do not see him as a moral crusader taking the Hammer of Righteousness to 'P2W evil-doers' like My.com. I figure Steven has more pressing things to do than single-handedly fixing the wrongs in the MMO industry.

If dealing with My.com is what Steven needs to do in order to publish the game in Europe, then that is what Steven will do.

I understand that you may disagree, in which case I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
    It is completely okay in having the train of thought of only carrying about what happens to AoC. I agree with most that are saying my.com is a bad choice because of their possible security and server issues and do think these could be a problem. But...and it is hugh assumption but, if it does turn out great I am still disappointed that AoC will be associated with a horrible company in my.com. My.com has been everything that is bad with MMOs lately. P2W and horrible customer service can destroy good games. 

Unless i I am mistaken Steven is making an MMO because he was fed up with these practices and has talked down on companies that have used P2W schemes to make money. To now go and do business with one of the key companies who have contributed to this I find hypocritical. It disappoints me that any money will be going to my.com which could only further their ability to ruin games.

Hopefully the contract in place will help save AoC...but at this point with the history of my.com it is a leap of faith. 

Not sure if this explains it better or not.  Was not trying to change your opinion just hopefully explain what I was thinking. @nefelia
  • Options
    Pooka said:
    Sintu said:

I mean yeah I would love or them to have the option should they want it. I just hope that Steven can get the my.com people to agree to that. I feel like that would at least be a step to reassuring the community that they are in control and can handle it.
  • Options
    THIS IS MADNESS 

NAGASH HAS SPOKEN!
  • Options
    Pooka seems reasonable, this reminds me of a cook I know adding sesame oil to a tomato sauce, sesame oil makes things bitter and you would expect it to do the same with this tomato sauce. But I trust the cook and tasted the sauce, I found that the oil ended up balancing the sweetness of the tomatoes.

Its the same thing with this situation, you don't need to like My.com you just need to trust that Steven knows how to cook.
  • Options
    I still have trust in Steven, but none in my.com. Its as simple as it is i guess :neutral:
  • Options
    Still think this is blowing up way to much... Yes it's my.com, yes they have sucked but as long as intrepid holds creative rights the only thing my.com is doing is localization, distribution and support. As far as we can tell they even intend to use Intrepids launcher so patches wouldn't be an issue .

On a side note I personally like region locks, I'd go even further and put a ping requirement on servers. 
  • Options
    i kind of agree to your opinion. though my experience with hacked accounts etc @my.com was horrible. So thats what im actually more scared about. The support wasnt good either. All we can do is hope for the best, like we always did. The Team of Intrepid does still have my trust
  • Options
    the only thing my.com is doing is localization, distribution and support
    As if that wouldn't be enough to ruin the game experience :D
    And don't you forget about the hacked accounts and security breaches.

It's just as unwise to downplay the deficiencies as it is to overreact.
  • Options
    I fully agree and don't intend to down play negatives. In this day and age security is important...

The problem with that is no matter the company, no matter the security, and regardless of what's in place to prevent attacks the fact is someone always finds a way.

Hospitals, universities, banks, credit tracking companies. All of which can and have been hacked and all contained sensitive and detrimental information. We are in an era of digital information and there are *bad* people in the world. 

Having things like two factor authentication, encrypted website/email/login, and IP tracking all work to make it harder for people to steal information not impossible.

Support from my.com is a reasonable concern considering their track record and nothing I say can make anyone feel any better. We Can only hope the standards set by intrepid are strict enough to have a smooth experience. 

Monitization as far as we know it will honor Kickstarter and later purchases will be honored, Ashes will remain sub based with a cosmetic only shop and all statements made by intrepid and my.com seem to openly address and confirm it. 

For a business decision to be made like this with my.com of all publishers... chances are other companies refused to allow intrepid full control of the game... so my.com sees a huge potential income from ashes, (I know right? A company in it for profits? Crazy huh) Agrees to the deal laid out by intrepid because it could be a massive game changer to the Eastern market compared to all the crappy, cash grabby, grindy, massive boobs, excessive physics, 2 month games that have plagued our entire market for years.

Let's not pretend the games my.com has published lately would have had any longevity even with less heavy handed pay2win.
  • Options
    Sintu said:

Unless i I am mistaken Steven is making an MMO because he was fed up with these practices and has talked down on companies that have used P2W schemes to make money. To now go and do business with one of the key companies who have contributed to this I find hypocritical. It disappoints me that any money will be going to my.com which could only further their ability to ruin games.

Hopefully the contract in place will help save AoC...but at this point with the history of my.com it is a leap of faith. 

my.com wasn't the sole decision on those EASTERN MMOs turning into P2W.  For a while now, most if not all Eastern MMOs that came out were already made with a P2W model.  The problem isn't necessarily my.com with the P2W market, it was the companies that made those games that enabled it to happen, my.com just took advantage of that to make bank, it's a smart business move by them.

Pooka still believes that there is a data protection clause in the contract between IS and my.com.  There is also the possibility that my.com was one of the only companies that would allow IS with my.com only handling some CS, EU infrastructure, and account handling.  Steven said he was going to have IS CS help my.com with supporting account/tickets so there would not be a lag in response. As far as account security goes, Pooka knows that anybody at anytime can be hacked because those who do bad are always a step ahead.  All IS has to do is make sure my.com conforms to security standards so that the don't have any possible leaks.

We just have to wait and see, Pooka has put a good chunk of money into the game because Pooka has immense faith in Steven and IS, and Pooka will continue to have said faith.
  • Options
    I really don't have anything to add here that has not been discussed already. 

That said, having read the whole thing. Pooka should be the mascot of enjoyable forum posting moving forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    You call it optimistic, I call it naive...

Although it is true that we cannot predict the future and there is a chance that this might turn out well, I think every rationally thinking person would agree with me that the chance is WAY higher for this game to fail in EU because of things we KNOW about this company. My.com is the shadiest publisher I know of and I speak out of experience.

My last experience with this company was Revelation Online and they messed up pretty much everything there is to mess up. If you want a rant that comes close to my experience, feel free to watch this video:

In the end, actions matter, words do not. And I'm afraid IS uses lots of words but acts wrongly. They gave up their ideals and joined forces with one of EU's most infamous P2W publishers.

Believe me, I hope you are right, and may your dream come true.

• Options
    Pooka said:
    Yes, the company has a bad reputation as a publisher, so what?  

Yes, some folks (maybe a lot of folks) went overboard but the cause of concern is legitimate.

The quote above from you?  Yikes!  So what?

If you eat at a hamburger joint twice (hell maybe even once) and get food poisoning are you going back?  So what if I was puking my guts up; I'm sure they've learned from their mistake?

Steven is a big boy; he's made a decision and I'm sure he can defend it himself or change it if he feels like he needs to.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    per MyCom's announcement on Discord (#news)

Pay-to-Win
    • We are fully supporting the Non-Pay-to-Win vision that Steven and Intrepid Studios have, and we will implement the same model for the My.com version as they implement for their version.
    • We believe that Ashes of Creation will be one of the largest MMOs ever to be globally published, and as a publisher, we are excited to help lead the charge , together with Steven and our friends at Intrepid Studios.
    Customer Service
    • My.com will be working closely with Intrepid Studios to establish global procedures and policies for our players in the European and CIS regions. We will also establish joint service level expectations that My.com will commit to fulfilling.
    • As a first step to underline our commitment, we will already begin providing a base level of Customer Service for the European and CIS region, starting on the first of September. 

Account Security
    •  My.com are happy to announce, that we will be providing additional account security mechanisms, such as Two-Factor authentication, that will help to protect all our user’s accounts.
    • With the most recent implementation of the GDPR changes for European users, we have already solidified the security of your account and personal information, and given all My.com users more direct control over their data.

Server Quality
    • We will work closely with Intrepid Studios who, by building a solid and robust infrastructure and the necessary tools for managing them in the first place, will lay the foundation for what will be a high quality server environment for the European and CIS players.
    • Our IT teams are already now beginning our technical planning. Working with our five, globally distributed data centers, we will be able to provide local servers that allow for the best possible connectivity, while working with cloud server providers such as Google and Amazon we are investigating possibilities for quick and efficient scaling of resources to quickly react to changes in demand of computing power.
    ---

"Trust (warily) but verify (vigorously)."

• Options
    Crymoar said:
    Pooka said:
    Yes, the company has a bad reputation as a publisher, so what?  

Yes, some folks (maybe a lot of folks) went overboard but the cause of concern is legitimate.

The quote above from you?  Yikes!  So what?

If you eat at a hamburger joint twice (hell maybe even once) and get food poisoning are you going back?  So what if I was puking my guts up; I'm sure they've learned from their mistake?

Steven is a big boy; he's made a decision and I'm sure he can defend it himself or change it if he feels like he needs to.
    That's a terrible comparison.  Food poisoning affects your overall well being, food can kill you, an MMO publisher cannot, unless they send assassins after their customers.

Steven made the best choice he could for Ashes in the EU, that's the bottom line.

Pooka urges all to trust in The Sandal God.
  • Options
    Why are you always so right about what youre saying? @Pooka
  • Options
    reaccon said:
    Why are you always so right about what youre saying? @Pooka
    Because Pooka is always right...just ask them.