Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Disappointing gear design.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Why are you all discussing about the armor designs of mages either way, they already said that every class is supposed to be able to equip every armor type. The only difference would be that some classes will be "proficient" in specific armor types. 
    Rank 3 armor is just going to give different buffs depending, what typ they are:
    Cloth is going to give you extra mana, Light armor is going to give you a dmg boost, medium armor is supposed to give a mana and hp boost and heavy armor is going to give you extra damage mittigation and hp.
    PLEASE NOT THAT I WROTE "SUPPOSED". Nothing is written in stone.
  • Options
    Damokles said:
    Why are you all discussing about the armor designs of mages either way, they already said that every class is supposed to be able to equip every armor type. The only difference would be that some classes will be "proficient" in specific armor types. 
    Rank 3 armor is just going to give different buffs depending, what typ they are:
    Cloth is going to give you extra mana, Light armor is going to give you a dmg boost, medium armor is supposed to give a mana and hp boost and heavy armor is going to give you extra damage mittigation and hp.
    PLEASE NOT THAT I WROTE "SUPPOSED". Nothing is written in stone.
    Because even if we will be able to cross armours with classes it would be stereotypical and boring to have only dressed for classes like mages, sorcerers,etc. and the same for other lighter classes.
  • Options
    That would present a balance issue Jinx. If mages are running around with high dps in plate armor with high defense and no downside why would you play any other class?  Most people are going to put casters in light armor because the stats will work out best for them that way. If you want to be a unique looking mage in plate you can. IS has already confirmed they aren't locking it out but the downside is you likely won't have the best stats from a min/max point of view. 
  • Options
    LunarSky said:
    That would present a balance issue Jinx. If mages are running around with high dps in plate armor with high defense and no downside why would you play any other class?  Most people are going to put casters in light armor because the stats will work out best for them that way. If you want to be a unique looking mage in plate you can. IS has already confirmed they aren't locking it out but the downside is you likely won't have the best stats from a min/max point of view. 
    You do realize we are talking about visual appearance? Just because you have a bit more leather, chain or plate pieces on your gear to balance overall design it doesn't affect in any way class design (stats etc).
  • Options
    Yes, I realize you're talking about appearance. As stated in my post above, I said you can have your caster in plate if you want that appearance but it will (likely) not be the ideal stats when it comes to gameplay.  Who knows, you may get a glamour system where you can keep the stats of a robe but have the plate/leather look you want as well. 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    IS did say that we are going to get attachements: "There will be hundreds of attachments available ranging from a small clasp, to the front plate of a breast plate."
  • Options
    LunarSky said:
    Yes, I realize you're talking about appearance. As stated in my post above, I said you can have your caster in plate if you want that appearance but it will (likely) not be the ideal stats when it comes to gameplay.  Who knows, you may get a glamour system where you can keep the stats of a robe but have the plate/leather look you want as well. 

But I don't want to have my mage, etc. in plates (if it's not specific class design), I want to have more creative armour sets which include something more than plain dresses and other nonsense like that.  I simply want gear to look more like actual armours rather than costumes.
    This is an example of what I'm talking about: 

Set like this is not only aesthetically pleasing but also looks practical. It's a light design revolving around mobility and protection of most vital organs. The only thing I would change is the plating on her stomach and rise it to her clavicle bones but other than that this is my favourite spellcaster design. Basically, this is the approach I want to see in MMO's rather than just making all sets for mages just robes and dresses. Ofc. we can have some robes and dresses to keep the variety going. 

This is also a good example of light armouring for light class:

Another interesting approach to caster class design:

And one more:

This is also a good approach to light armour design:

Designs like above are way more fitting into AoC world art style which is in many places more medieval than fantasy and they also make way more sense and armour sets for the game than what we saw so far in AoC.

Whether we will be able to pair light class with medium/heavy armour that's completely different discussion but I know it works because this is what we did in ESO and it was a lot of fun. On another hand, it's absolutely possible to design mage class which would be armoured like a tank and have balances abilities. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yes, but the problem is, that you are basing all your problems on ONE armor set, which was supposed to be pretty easy to obtain i think xD. Maybe we are getting attachements which give us the plate appearance. It is way to early to judge about non existing armor sets :D.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    People should be just satisfied if there is gear they like, seriously as long as it's not un-immersive (like a bunny costume or something) then the practicality of the gear should be of no concern since 'magic' <3 
    You don't care if the design in-game is coherent and makes sense on a fundamental level and I do ;)
    No, I don't care if there is a wide range of gear, in other words any armor goes as long as it does not go outside the realm of fantasy.