Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Possible Unlimited Subscription Option in store for those that missed the Kickstarter period?

Would it be possible to add the option to the store that would give endless subscription for an adequate one time fee?  I don't mind paying a lot, and I've missed the ship on the kickstarter, but I also really do not like knowing and worrying if I have enough or have to worry about it month to month.  3 year cost at $540?  Would really appreciate the option.  It sounds stupid but I don't pay sub fees, only one time fees.  Hope we get that option.

Comments

• There probably will be an option to pay over 6 months to a year but I'm not sure about that yet. If you're asking for the lifetime sub to return, I can think of quite a few backers that would raise holy hell if that happened.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Has already been ruled out multiple times. Beyond there being no incentive for them to offer it again, wordsmithing has only ever bit them in the ass every time they tried it.
  • As a backer I think the lifetime sub should stay exclusive but I'd say things like month/half-a-year/full year options for sub will be available. 
  • Well, it would be for only that, not everything else they got with their tier.  Plus why would anyone get angry if someone else can play forever if they pay enough?  3 years sub to a game is hard to achieve from a developers standpoint.  I just don't want to have to worry about it and just play the game.  Even if I don't like it and wind up going elsewhere after a few months, how does that hurt an early backer?
  • It was a reward for those that backed early and backed hard when the game was little more than some shiny UE4 videos meant to showcase what they had planned. If they had said "Hey, we want you to give us what is a significant amount of money to help support this games development right now, but in the future those things that we have told you were "buy them now or miss out forever" will be available after launch!" people would have laughed at them, said it was just another cashgrab scam like many did, and they never would have had the successful backing they did. Will they offer multi-month subscriptions in the future? Most likely, but not at a discount. You can blame countries in the EU and Australia for that, that allow people to do chargebacks on subscriptions. So say instead of $15 a month, people pay $12 per month for a 6 month sub. Use it for two months, then do a chargeback, that under their countries laws Intrepid has to honor. They paid $24 for those two months instead of $30. Multiply the headache of having to handle the chargeback accounting and fees, and just the pain in the ass factor, and I would be surprised if you see a multi-month discounted option now.
  • It would be the broken promise of exclusivity that would cause negative feelings in early backers. Intrepid said from the beginning that the life time subscription would only be for early backers, so if they go back on their word and start offering it to people now they will be breaking a lot of people's trust in them. Since Intrepid want the gaming population to trust them, it would behoove Intrepid to keep good on their word.
  • yeah the way I see it the lifetime sub was a way to reward the faith in the project before there was a game, when it was just words. Offering it to people after the game is there, after saying it was exclusive, is nothing but a kick in the teeth to those that belived in them early on.
  • Subscription terms and conditions have always been and always will be subject to change for any business.  There is no good counter to the idea that if you buy more now (invest) you should get more. 
  • Sorry but the lifetime subscription has no shot of coming back. I do however think you have a good chance at yearly subscription prices. 

The lifetime subscription was offered exclusively to those few who put out money very early on when there was still much risk. 
    edited September 2018
    Sucks, they shot themselves in the foot before they knew it.  Would have loved to play the game.  Reopen the kickstarter REEEE
  • The game wont be subscription long if past MMOs are anything to go by.
    They could just make it buy to play and have a cash shop after a year or two.
    Or they could follow my advice I gave ages ago and add a loyalty system that lowers the sub fee by 50 pence every year for a maximum of 3 years.
  • The game wont be subscription long if past MMOs are anything to go by..

Many people are thankful this game will be sub based! Most of the community are more than happy to pay the sub if we help keep the game as planned and keep Stevens vision. Tho I’ll be enjoying my lifetime sub 😉. 
  • The issue is they are already drawing lines in the sand where there are people in the "in crowd" and those who showed up late to the party.  That's a formula for disaster and the crowd to grow cancerous and fizzle out.  That's a common mistake in strategy. 
  • The game wont be subscription long if past MMOs are anything to go by.
    They could just make it buy to play and have a cash shop after a year or two. 
    With the exception of gw2 I'm fairly sure every major MMO that's been around a long time is sub based. Subscription is the only way to ensure the longevity of the game really. 
  • The reason the original WoW did so well is because everyone was on the same level.  It was about dedication and skill.  New players will not see it and say "this is fair" - they will resent those who got things that they can no longer get,.  You're already growing that which will destroy you in the end.  You should be against that.  But the very fact that the idea that you must be special is more important than the health of the community already tells me this is doomed to be toxic. 
  • Khelos said:
    The issue is they are already drawing lines in the sand where there are people in the "in crowd" and those who showed up late to the party.  That's a formula for disaster and the crowd to grow cancerous and fizzle out.  That's a common mistake in strategy. 
    It is simply a matter that it was offered for those who truly believed in the project at an early stage and took on some of that risk which kickstarter provides. You can be just as much a part of the community as a monthly subscriber as you would a lifetime backer there is no “in crowd”. There is only paying customers and those who decide this is not the game for them.  

• Sintu said:
    Khelos said:
    The issue is they are already drawing lines in the sand where there are people in the "in crowd" and those who showed up late to the party.  That's a formula for disaster and the crowd to grow cancerous and fizzle out.  That's a common mistake in strategy. 
    It is simply a matter that it was offered for those who truly believed in the project at an early stage and took on some of that risk which kickstarter provides. You can be just as much a part of the community as a monthly subscriber as you would a lifetime backer there is no “in crowd”. There is only paying customers and those who decide this is not the game for them.  

You seem to be overlooking a key point: not everyone was offered this.  I had no idea about this until it was over.  That would be a cancer of resentment growing inside of me should I actually decide to play.  The status of "original backer" is more important to you than a healthy community.
  • Khelos said:
    Sintu said:
    Khelos said:

You seem to be overlooking a key point: not everyone was offered this.  I had no idea about this until it was over.  That would be a cancer of resentment growing inside of me should I actually decide to play.  The status of "original backer" is more important to you than a healthy community.
    Only you can determine your state of mind. I am sorry you feel resentment and hope you can get past that if you truly want to play the game. At the end of the day I have absolutely no say on if it comes back up. Honestly I never even told you if it should or shouldn’t I only gave my thoughts that I did not think it would be brought back and the reasons behind Intrepid not bringing it back. Bringing back the lifetime subscription does not hurt me at all. I just highly doubt they will. 

Hopefully venting on here helps you get past your resentment. My concern is it may just be making you feel worse. Let’s hope for the former. 

• @Khelos You are just against the concept of exclusivity. I understand that.

I can only say I'm sorry you feel that way. It's just the way things are here, some businesses use exclusivity to boost sales, because exclusivity sells. Many people will buy something because its exclusive that they would not have bought if it wasn't exclusive.

You can get some skins now that are exclusive as well, and many of the "original" backers may not buy them because they tuned out, or they can’t afford them, or for whatever reason. And then you will have something they don't have.

The difference is they won’t resent you for it. and the fact that you are the one holding resentments makes you the one spreading toxicity, not the other people.

• I missed it and I don't care. I still spent 500$ on the intrepid pack. Whats 15$ a month really. God people spend more on lunch nowadays.

I looked into the possibility of getting a braver of world pack on the secondary market, and while it wouldn't be supported by intrepid I heard it was allowed but I didnt want to take the risk.

Honestly if this is the line you draw stay away from the never dying PvP thread.
    edited September 2018
    Khelos said:
    Sintu said:
    Khelos said:

Actually, everyone WAS offered this. It is only a matter of if you were there at the time and were willing to take the risk. It is not like the Kickstarter was a small event in the MMO community. Not to mention, if I am not mistaken, it was offered during the Summer backing that continued the Kickstarter which lasted another month or so.
    edited September 2018
    Santy182 said:

@Khelos You are just against the concept of exclusivity. I understand that.

I can only say I'm sorry you feel that way. It's just the way things are here, some businesses use exclusivity to boost sales, because exclusivity sells. Many people will buy something because its exclusive that they would not have bought if it wasn't exclusive.

You can get some skins now that are exclusive as well, and many of the "original" backers may not buy them because they tuned out, or they can’t afford them, or for whatever reason. And then you will have something they don't have.

The difference is they won’t resent you for it. and the fact that you are the one holding resentments makes you the one spreading toxicity, not the other people.

I have to say you're right, Exclusivity is something I have seen take down games.  It helps in the short run, but hurts in the long run.  It's only a rush for those who want the item, but a drag on those that don't.  It kills the spirit of equal opportunity.  Back in RuneScape they tested it with the bunny ears and scythe and didn't hear the end of it.  It's something that's very toxic in it's nature, and yes I am being toxic about it, I realize that, but only as a natural reaction to the existence of non equal opportunity.  I guess this type of model isn't for me.
  • You had the chance the same as anyone else, exclusivity is the bread and butter of Kickstarter. Its what makes the boardgame secondary market lucrative for some games.

Equal opportunity doe not equal, equal outcome.

Why did you not buy in when you had the chance?

Everyone had an equal chance to see the game on kickstarter
    Everyone had the same chance to hear about it on youtube.
    Just because you didn't the correct foresight does not mean you didn't have the opportunity to get the package.

Unless you mean you did all of these things and tried giving IS your money and they said no we don't want your money.
  • Won't play the game because can't get reward he didn't earn?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

*Fondly looks at my Kickstarter lifetime sub
  • Karthos said:
    Won't play the game because can't get reward he didn't earn?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

*Fondly looks at my Kickstarter lifetime sub
    This is the toxicity of exclusivity.

Greygoose said:
    You had the chance the same as anyone else, exclusivity is the bread and butter of Kickstarter. Its what makes the boardgame secondary market lucrative for some games.

Equal opportunity doe not equal, equal outcome.

Why did you not buy in when you had the chance?

Everyone had an equal chance to see the game on kickstarter
    Everyone had the same chance to hear about it on youtube.
    Just because you didn't the correct foresight does not mean you didn't have the opportunity to get the package.

Unless you mean you did all of these things and tried giving IS your money and they said no we don't want your money.
    Not everyone on the planet that is going to play the game was even aware of the kickstarter, so no we didn't have the "chance" to make the same decision.

Making a claim that other people never deserve what you have is the basis for conflict in all walks of life.  Quite simply that's what's going wrong with the world today, the abuse of status or power to keep others down.  Such oppressive modes of economics are always doomed to fail.  Just wait and see. 
  • OP, just because you don't agree with or like something, doesn't mean it's toxic.

I don't like hemlock plants in my garden, but you don't see me going around telling people they are toxic.
  • Karthos said:
    OP, just because you don't agree with or like something, doesn't mean it's toxic.

I don't like hemlock plants in my garden, but you don't see me going around telling people they are toxic.
    Uh, dude, you literally flashed your unlimited sub in my face telling me to basically f off.  How is that not toxic? #checkyourself
  • I just checked myself. No lumps

Now what?
  • Karthos said:
    I just checked myself. No lumps

Now what?
    Cancer must be in your brain, sending thoughts and prayers #hopetheyhelp
  • Thank you for the concern for my health.
    I already feel better from the thoughts an prayers.
     :)