Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Possible Unlimited Subscription Option in store for those that missed the Kickstarter period?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Kickstarter is all about exclusivity though. It's about being part of a smaller project from the beginning and getting something in return. You may not like it, but Intrepid would be breaking their promises should they make the Lifetime sub return. A lot of people bought into that because of the exclusivity, myself being one of them. Intrepid needs to make money, and if lifetime sub is offered to everyone, that money is going to run out really quick. Ashes of Creation would essentially become a buy-to-play game, which is not the direction the team wants to go in.

And stating that the game will become toxic because a few hundred people have lifetime sub is just sad really. If this is so gamebreaking for you and unfair, then I'm not sure this is the MMO for you. Fact is just that it'll likely never be offered again. Like it or not.

Now attacking people when they're just voicing their opinion like yourself is childish and immature. People are allowed to disagree with you and regardless of whether or not they are commenting in a childish manner, you should always try to be the bigger person and reply with respect towards he or she. Insulting a person, saying they have cancer in their brain is not only potentially hurtful to them, but also others affected by that horrible illness.

Good day sir
  • Options
    With the caveat on the 7 people you recruit being that they have to be paying the full sub for you to make your subscription free. It is not just create 7 dummy accounts and refer them. No payee, no tickee.
  • Options
    @Khelos There will be unique in-game events that will happen once per server, or even only once overall. What is your take on that?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Herdo said:
    @Khelos There will be unique in-game events that will happen once per server, or even only once overall. What is your take on that?
    If it is server wide it hurts types of players who:

Have unavoidable family vacations during the time.
    Men and women deployed during the time.
    New users and fresh blood. (Those not at the level to obtain it)

But how much it hurts depends on what it is.  How sought after it is.  They could develop a system for those who don't log in during that time if it's a planned event and someone puts in notice.

If these are challenges or tests of skill / cunning then it would probably be cool to have them be exclusive to those who achieved them first.  But chances that an inside man or someone buying insider info winning would be very high.
  • Options
    @Khelos At first I saw where you were coming from. Like who wouldn't want the third chance to get the lifetime sub, but then you went and basically through a teenage tantrum. 

I have it and I could care less if they offered it again so long as it doesnt effect their bottom line. 

Now while you complain about not getting a chance (you had two chances) you need to realize the real world will never wait on you so why would a video game? 

And if 15 dollars is really a big deal to you I wouldn't recommend you play this game anyway, go out and hustle up some more money. 
  • Options
    I think that willing to pay more than 1 year in advance, at full price, for any internet related service, it is a show of trust. Just as Kickbakers (always be praised!) that helped this project come true, people who missed the crowfounding campaign can help maintain and develop AoC more "consistently" than just 15bucks/month, asking no privilege in return.
    I only play sub based MMO, had some very disappointing experience with so called "free-to-play", as many other people indeed.

But IF the bakers majority are going to react like a crying kindergarden class, fearing to loose some Gods given right; well maybe i've been too optimistic about the average Quality/Age of this FORMING ( just 2 yrs old and someone already act like " i'm here since the Beginning of Time") community.

p.s. rereading this before  post and.. just realized that looks kinda harsh in the end. Apologies, Eng is not my mothertongue, meant no offence >_<;

(didnt rewrite or clear cause .. i'm quite curious about the reaction honestly and i'm not a f***g troll :P)

• Options
    Dreimar said:

Quality/Age of this FORMING ( just 2 yrs old and someone already act like " i'm here since the Beginning of Time") community. 
    But I was here at the beginning of time  :/:'(
  • Options
    I don t exactly remember how I found the kickstarter for this game. I read the blurb and backed it. I have since added to my initial pledge and am now a Braver of worlds.I am currently toying with the idea of becoming a Leader of men.I think I saw the ad for the kickstarter on my facebook feed.
  • Options
    Khelos said:
    Herdo said:
    If it is server wide it hurts types of players who:

Have unavoidable family vacations during the time.
    Men and women deployed during the time.
    New users and fresh blood. (Those not at the level to obtain it)

But how much it hurts depends on what it is.  How sought after it is.  They could develop a system for those who don't log in during that time if it's a planned event and someone puts in notice.

If these are challenges or tests of skill / cunning then it would probably be cool to have them be exclusive to those who achieved them first.  But chances that an inside man or someone buying insider info winning would be very high.

This feels like an attitude of over entitlement. This seems evident by the response to the reply quoted above about things like "special events" and how even those could be "unfair" or have negative effects. Basically the attitude: "not every possible person interested will be able to attend/participate so it is not good to have scheduled events". (not trying to be vicious here) I am not dogging on any set of attitudes or philosophy as there are many and they have much to do with how we are raised so that really does set our attitudes on track for what we expect from the world.

I will point out that the actual world just does not work this way except in very extreme cases of benefactors such as the benevolence of parents, close friends, caring mentors, etc... It doesn't work in a wider setting of a wider world.

Getting perks for the consideration of buying products, showing support early, etc... is pretty normal. They cause action but are useless tactics if they are available forever.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    If this helps,  I will share my story.  I noticed the kickstarter the 1st week it was offered.  I was deciding whether to back or not, and i was confused o the packages and noticed more about cosmetics than the BoW lifetime subscription perk. I missed that line.  So being cautious, I held back and did not help, even with $25.  I went through summer and kept watch on AoC.  Towards end of August, my caution was overcome and I decided to throw them some $.  For what you got with the Intrepid package, you no longer got the lifetime subscription and genuinely didnt like the packages offered... embers... wtf are embers... but the PAX 17 stream sold me when how passionate they were. So i backed them with the highest package at the time (that i recall seeing in store). The $225 one, as problem riddled the package was be damned..  my reason for caution is that i have develop SW... I am a SW Engineer... I have been professionally burned by managers promising 1.5 to 2 years to write source code & test real world only to be told I have 3 months.... to complete the entire project and deliver... being burned by managers oblivious to SW Eng. realities.  Above everone here, I had more reasons to be skeptical than anyone here.  Honestly those $500 BoW backers when Intrepid Studios was a very tiny team should be rewarded as that $ gave them the $ cushion they needed.  Do  I wish I had lifetime, YES! but I do not regret holding off either!!! so I can do without lifetime and bring broccoli for lunch vs in n out burger 1 day per month.  Do I wish I had Alpha 1 access, well not really... that intrepid package sucked... blooming embers ...wtf... I am satisfied with my PAX 17 with Alpha 2...It helps bring IS $ needed to bring AoC into existence... mind you I am a cautious person when it comes to people promising the moon in SW as I've been left with the-finger-of-blame due to dodgy marketers overhyping products while ignoring reality of software engineering.  Kudos should go to Jeff & Steven launching IS for bringing AoC to life... the dev side is difficult to say the least...as a customer... I say no more lifetime subs...if it is offered then you will be burning past & future customers when lifetime offer stops... once again.  Be happy that you the reader can help support the studio financially so we get to play a future AAA MMORPG...  with 64 classes... node system that acts like a digitized D&D master...  that sounds exiting... I am happy my $ helps IS out...
    well at least a few runs to get Pete's Sumatra Coffee for those late nite session Bacon has to do.
  • Options
    Lifetime option was Risk vs Reward.

There are those that showed faith in Intrepid with great risk, considering all of the pyramid scheme, UE4 for MMO is Shite so DoA, Intrepid have no experience and dont know their arse from their hand lul, etc.
    When most were slating AoC, there were those who had faith and saw great potential.
    Backing the game now has much less risk. So no lifetime reward. Should have coughed up when it mattered.
    When Intrepid needed to know if their dream was shared by others.

On top of that if everyone can get lifetime for 3 years worth of gaming, the game wont be funded after 3 years other than cash shop fees. AoC is built upon a steady income for maintenance costs. Global lifetime model as a mass option, isnt viable for any long term business.

Nice troll though. On par with the word smithed summer backer kickstarter extension fiasco that should never have happened.
    :thumbsup:
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    When you invent a time machine and go back to roughly 7/1/17 you can totally pay $500 and have a Lifetime Sub. Since we live in a world where that’s not possible “yet” you sir, and many others will have to choose to pay monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually, or not at all. To walk in here to a community that has RALLIED behind Intrepid’s vision and dedication to spout off how it’s not fair. is insulting. Please, don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. 
    Good day
  • Options
     It sounds stupid but I don't pay sub fees, only one time fees. 
    I'd much rather pay a recurring subscription than "buy" a game. It serves as quality assurance. Having to earn my sub month to month motivates the devs to keep me hooked.
  • Options
    Hey Khelos!
    I'm sorry to hear you missed out... I really do hope you stick around and that your opinion of the game isn't swayed by this. Like many others have already stated, (us) the backers took a chance. There was a possibility we could have lost a lot of money, and still could. But when IS needed funding, we chose to help out regardless. We took that risk...

I don't think that this puts us in a different category from you, or anyone else who joins from this point on. We're all on an even playing field.
  • Options
    Op,

I paid almost $500 for the Kickstarter package. I went to Kickstarter intending to donate $20 or so to help the game out. I only bought the $500 package because of the lifetime sub. I would not have considered it except for fact that it was a limited time offer. I knew that a lifetime sub would never be offered again.

I also bought the same package for my wife. I went in intending to donate around $20. Within a week of thinking about it, I paid almost $1,000. The intent of a limited time offer that will never return is to generate maximum sales. In my case, it worked.

If Intrepid were to ever offer their lifetime sub again, I will know that anytime they offer a limited time offer that will never return, it might return. I would consider that when I am thinking about purchasing limited time offers again.

Intrepid has made it clear that they like the limited time offers to maximize their sales by using them repetitively. My sale jumped from $20 to $1,000. That illustrates how effective limited time sales can be. I doubt they will change their selling strategy. Instead, they will continue to use other exclusive and limited time offers.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Khelos said:

Not everyone on the planet that is going to play the game was even aware of the kickstarter, so no we didn't have the "chance" to make the same decision.

Making a claim that other people never deserve what you have is the basis for conflict in all walks of life.  Quite simply that's what's going wrong with the world today, the abuse of status or power to keep others down.  Such oppressive modes of economics are always doomed to fail.  Just wait and see. 
    What's wrong with the world today is the entitlement of the younger generations. Life is not fair, get used to it. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you can move on with your life a happier person.

Like this is like saying I'm pi$$ed off because I didn't invest in apple in the 80s when it was under $1.00 per share. I know people that did and you can probably imagine the money they got from it. Am I mad that I didn't do something like that? I wish I would've (could've) done that, but I didn't. I can't go an buy shares of apple at $0.40 because at one point in time some people did and because "it's not fair" that they did something before me. AND BEFORE YOU REPLY WITH OH BUT YOU CAN STILL BUY APPLE SHARES HERP DERP, I'm sure you will be able to pre-purchase sub months, just buy 100 years worth of subs, bet you wont be alive and even if you are, I bet the servers wont.

Not to get political but from the first half of the first page before this comment even came up I could tell you were the type of person who thinks free healthcare and free tuition is a good idea, and there's nothing wrong with someone thinking that, but the problem is, and this is what I'm referring to you, no matter what you tell this person or what arguments you provide, they don't listen and just blindly follow their viewpoint, and then call you toxic (a bigot/racist/fascist/what ever else they say now a days)
  • Options
    @Kaiku The way you have your post quoted makes it seem like I said that crap. Can you please edit your post so that I don't look like an entitled ... ah, person.
  • Options
    I'm not quite grasping how you could become resentful that you don't have a lifetime sub option.  Just pay month to month or purchase whatever package they have that is largest in the subscription arena. 
  • Options
    @Greygoose done! 
  • Options
    Hey Khelos!
    I'm sorry to hear you missed out... I really do hope you stick around and that your opinion of the game isn't swayed by this. Like many others have already stated, (us) the backers took a chance. There was a possibility we could have lost a lot of money, and still could. But when IS needed funding, we chose to help out regardless. We took that risk...

I don't think that this puts us in a different category from you, or anyone else who joins from this point on. We're all on an even playing field. I hope to see you out there on release! Take care. :smile:
  • Options
    No need to add the unlimited sub back in if you are not adverse to spending a lot and your only issue is paying monthly because you don't want to track it every month or whatever. Just add an option to pay 1 to 2 years in advance at either normal or a slightly discounted price. Problem solved. It's not uncommon to be able to pay for at least 6 months to 1 year worth of your sub. 
  • Options
    I know this is kinda unrelated. But do you know how long early backers will have for upgrading their package to a higher one?