Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Possible Unlimited Subscription Option in store for those that missed the Kickstarter period?

Comments

• Saved your life, you owe me an unlimited sub :Kappa:
  • Sure, I'm gonna need about tree fiddy
  • It was about that time I realized Karthos was 8 stories tall and a crustacean from the Protozoic Era.
  • I don't have a lifetime sub do to my lack of foresight. Its like when mcdonalds re-released Szechuan sauce last year because of Rick and Morty. It was available for a limited time, and only people who went out to the stores were able to get any.

Your lack of foresight is not anyone elses problem. You had the same chance as anyone else to learn about this thing.

You didn't and that sucks for you..

Though they could release 5 year or 10 year subs at discounted prices and I doubt people would bat an eye. It may not be lifetime but who plans on playing the same game for 10 years

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Greygoose said:
    I don't have a lifetime sub do to my lack of foresight. Its like when mcdonalds re-released Szechuan sauce last year because of Rick and Morty. It was available for a limited time, and only people who went out to the stores were able to get any.

Your lack of foresight is not anyone elses problem. You had the same chance as anyone else to learn about this thing.

You didn't and that sucks for you..

Though they could release 5 year or 10 year subs at discounted prices and I doubt people would bat an eye. It may not be lifetime but who plans on playing the same game for 10 years

It's not a lack of foresight, it's a lack of omniscience.   I can't know everything, and I can't time travel, so I can't know it was even an option at the time.  The whole idea that you don't want people to subscribe forever to the same game as you when it doesn't effect you in the slightest is stupid.
  • Subscribe to the same game as me all you want, you will be paying as much as I am. I didn't get in until may of this year. How did anyone know that the game was a thing, they did something you didn't. I wish my 500$ had gotten me a lifetime sub but to be fair I like my exclusive cloak and 15 bucks a month aint that much money.
    edited September 2018
    Wish the people with such a creative team had a more creative business model.  The only exclusive models which work are rolling exclusives available once a year or so.  Or Rolling sales where once or twice a year what you want is on sale, otherwise it's not for a very long time.  #riotgames - the things like championship riven are their worst mistakes.  They wound up giving players an extremely long shot in order to be able to achieve her, like get all guesses right in Worlds brackets which is nearly impossible, but people still had a chance.  That made it much more "ok."  I feel like if you really want to make things an exclusive set, even before the game releases and you have a real playerbase to pull from - is already distancing yourself from a vast playerbase that will flock in.  This would already make your game worse for all future players.  Imagine your streamer using a skin you like, you go check the store to see if you can buy it and... you can never buy it.  What a downer.  Not having this foresight is completely why I lose faith in Games, because if they can't see this mistake, the fact or chance that they'll repeat it in other aspects of the game is almost a certainty.
  • While we are on the topic what does Intrepid feel about transferring ownership of a Kickstarter account?
  • While we are on the topic what does Intrepid feel about transferring ownership of a Kickstarter account?
    Some guy on page one said something about it being ok, but he didn't want to do it because of "risky"
  • I wonder if we can get an official response... @""Belle-bot.exe ♡" ? @IntrepidStudios
  • I wonder if we can get an official response... @""Belle-bot.exe ♡" ? @IntrepidStudios
    They have said in the past that while they won't block it, it is completely at your own risk and there will be no support if you are scammed or worse.
  • From what I know (I've worked as a support admin for some big mmo's) they can't officially give a stance on things like trading accounts as that would make them somewhat liable as an intermediary to do something if something goes wrong.  Like if someone does it and they have an issue then it is more work for the team to deal with it.  Their official stance is probably "no comment" or "we do not seek out offenders, but should an offence happen we will look into it."  Of course I can't say that for sure, they might be more upfront about things.  My guess is if they don't have a place or way for you to do this securely, like transfer rewards in the shop menu via Cash on Delivery, then they probably have a neutral stance absent a written rule somewhere against it.
  • This kind of reminds me of how people were blowing up over the Excalibur Prime in Warframe, just like that the lifetime sub was a backer exclusive and no one is going to go around saying 'I'm better than you cause I don't have to pay a monthly fee for the game' (if they do well that's just a twat) everyone had the chance to get the LT sub not only through the KS but also the summer backing, if you were not here then that sucks for you (I myself happened upon AoC by coincidence), in the future the majority of the players wont have it but that's just how it is.

Also as a backer I feel happy that I can say that I was here back then and supported the game during it's early development, I took the 'risk' and got my rewards, that's all there is to it.
  • Khelos said:
    Sintu said:
    Khelos said:
    The issue is they are already drawing lines in the sand where there are people in the "in crowd" and those who showed up late to the party.  That's a formula for disaster and the crowd to grow cancerous and fizzle out.  That's a common mistake in strategy. 
    It is simply a matter that it was offered for those who truly believed in the project at an early stage and took on some of that risk which kickstarter provides. You can be just as much a part of the community as a monthly subscriber as you would a lifetime backer there is no “in crowd”. There is only paying customers and those who decide this is not the game for them.  

You seem to be overlooking a key point: not everyone was offered this.  I had no idea about this until it was over.  That would be a cancer of resentment growing inside of me should I actually decide to play.  The status of "original backer" is more important to you than a healthy community.
    #1, EVERYONE was offered this.  Just because you were unaware of the offer doesnt mean it wasnt available to you.  
    #2, Lifetime sub isnt coming back, They added it to their own Intrepid pack AFTER the KS and it raised hell and a half.  For what like 650$?
    #3, there is ZERO advantage in a lifetime sub vs monthly.  The in-game rewards are cosmetics..the cash shop is cosmetics.  The only difference is maybe 1-2$ a month IF they even do a discounted price.  Dont go to McDonalds once every 6 months..ONCE and boom, money made up.  
    #4 We as Braver+ KS packages, INVESTED in the game.  Lifetime sub is their way of thanking us for our investment.  We took a risk, the game wasnt even a game, it was just an idea...and we still put 500$+ down for them.  We cant charge that back, thats investment with only return being entertainment in 2 years.  

While I appreciate your drive to play the game, and while I understand it may be frustrating missing out on a good deal, its over.  If you choose to never play the game because you arent a lifetime sub, then Im sorry for your loss.  The game looks great so far, and weve got over a year till the probable launch.  You can still intrepid packs, and early bird cosmetics every month.  
    TLDR, Dont be so entitled, theres no game breaking advantage.
  • Here’s the thing you don’t understand.  They sold the lifetime subscription telling people that it was exclusive to Kickstarter.  You’re under the mistaken view that people grabbed it because they want an exclusive thing they can lord over people later.  You’re completely wrong.

What happened is that people pledging to Kickstarter saw that they had better pledge right then or miss their chance.  Some people paid more than they normally would for such a thing because they were told it was their only chance.  It was a pretty hard sell from Intrepid, especially since it was being offered so long before they had much to show people.  Those of us who bought it took a big risk.

If they started to offer it again, then they lied and those who felt pressured to “buy now or never” were cheated.  It would be a slimy thing to do, and honestly they already did it once (offered it a second time in the summer deals after the Kickstarter ended).  So try to have some perspective and understand why people would be justifiably upset If IS went back on their word and proved that their tactics to pressure people into buying back then were BS.  It has nothing at all to do with elitism and everything to do with expecting a company to uphold its obligations.
  • Spartanz said:
    TLDR, Dont be so entitled, theres no game breaking advantage.
    Exactly my point.  What the hell would you care?  More people devote themselves to the game for life, how does that hurt you, even if you consider it a slight against you, the outcome only helps you.

The issue with the exclusive model is that it sells out the future for the present.  Where as a mature business model sacrifices the present for the future.

The company's future business prospects are being damaged.  When you make something exclusive you keep people from every buying it who will want it in the future.  And when you do so with a infant sized player base you're creating content which wastes away potential growth.  Why would you limit the sale of shop items or valuable objects to such a small market?

Fighting against it isn't fighting against wrong or evil, it's fighting against the company you say you believe in.  You should do what's best for the players both now and in the future.  Sure some players might feel like they were wronged, but they will get over it.  The massive influx the future can bring is worth the temporary setback of a few cracked eggs.  Eventually they'll see that, hopefully before it's too late to rip the band-aid off and the infection spreads.
    edited September 2018
    As a Leader of Men kickstarter backer, I couldn't care less if someone else was able to pay for a lifetime sub.

Someone else's happiness has ZERO effect on my own. They want to toss money at the game for it? They can go nuts. It doesn't negate my own lifetime sub, so who cares? 

However I can't see Intrepid doing it. As a business trying to turn a profit, this will hurt their bottom line in the long run.
    edited September 2018
    Khelos said:

Not everyone on the planet that is going to play the game was even aware of the kickstarter, so no we didn't have the "chance" to make the same decision.
    You cant turn back time.
    If they bring back the lifetime sub now or make the game F2P they will brake a promise. A promise that was the reason for a lot of people to support the game.

You did have your chance- you missed it, like a lot of people often miss a chance.

Am I upset I did not buy google / apple / Microsoft shares when they was cheap ? - Hell yes !  
    Am I upset I did not buy BTC when they was 2$ a piece - Hell I am !

Can i change the situation ? - No, so no reason to whine about it.
  • Timrum said:
    Khelos said:

Not everyone on the planet that is going to play the game was even aware of the kickstarter, so no we didn't have the "chance" to make the same decision.
    You cant turn back time.
    If they bring back the lifetime sub now or make the game F2P they will brake a promise. A promise that was the reason for a lot of people to support the game.

You did have your chance- you missed it, like a lot of people often miss a chance.

Am I upset I did not buy google / apple / Microsoft shares when they was cheap ? - Hell yes !  
    Am I upset I did not buy BTC when they was 2$ a piece - Hell I am !

Can i change the situation ? - No, so no reason to whine about it.
    You're right, I don't deny the reality that it would hurt them, slightly.  But a few enraged people isn't going to make the sky fall.  In fact it's more financially feasible to bring it back after the game launches and the demand is 10000% greater than the losses.  And in the "long run" the fact is that most people get disillusioned with a game in the first few months.  So on average they will make out far ahead selling lifetime subs than they would 45$ in sub fees to those same people.
    edited September 2018
    Khelos said:
    You're right, I don't deny the reality that it would hurt them, slightly. 
    Its not about if they have 100 more lifetime subs or not, or how much it will cost them. Its about to stick to something they promised.
  • I couldn't care less if you are a lifetime sub.  Haha, I wouldnt even feel wronged...I paid for the Founder KS pack and upgraded to Braver just a week or 2 ago.  

Its not an exclusive club, Avatar is an exclusive club haha.  Braver?  Leader...no.
    Most of us here dont care about you paying 600$ for lifetime, IDC!  But we are all telling you WHY its not going to happen.  

Just as Timrum said.  I was in middle school when apple went up like 1700%  I couldnt have invested...Does that mean that now that I have money to invest Apple should hook me up with a lower price because I missed the old price?  

We invested in AoC.  Our investment returned a Lifetime sub to a very promising game.  I honestly thing the monthly rate is going to be 15/mo  10% off for 6 months, 15% off for a year.  And Honestly, I wouldnt even do that rate if I was in charge.  

I'm sorry you missed it, truly.  Id like to see more Lifetime subs.  But I think your opinion is a tad biased.  Most dont care, but I can assure you a LOT of people would raise hell.  Intrepid would have to charge like 750$ for me to personally be ok with it.  

We paid for ~3 years of membership.   500$ - Cosmetics, -Embers, -Lifetime sub.
    At 15/mo  thats 2 years and 9 months without counting the cosmetics.   You know how many Bravers will ACTUALLY play for 3 years?  Id say 25%.  So For you to get 'lifetime' I could see it at a 4-5 year price.  but 99% sure its never going to happen
  • Khelos said:
    Exactly my point.  What the hell would you care?
    I hope that you see this phrase being able to be turned against you.
    Why would you care if someone got lifetime sub?
    They supported the game with one time big chunk and you'll have to support it for as long as you play.

Them having lifetime sub doesn't take anything away from you.
    If you didnt know about it it'd be all fine.
  • Karthos said:
    Thank you for the concern for my health.
    I already feel better from the thoughts an prayers.
     :) 
    You're cured! Now enjoy the Ashes ride.
    edited September 2018
    I don't see why this is a problem at this point... Its been over a year since this package was available You missed out on something buy a package now and when the game time runs out stop playing...  Believe it or not intrepid studios is a business. I'd love to buy a Chevelle SS straight off the assembly line but I won't get that opportunity. 
  • No Monetary Transactions Under no circumstances will monetary transactions be permitted to be posted. This includes offering or requesting payment for help leveling up, in-game items, alpha/beta keys, artwork for your character, etc. This is simply because we cannot help you if anything goes wrong and certain types of things (such as payment for help leveling) are against our game’s terms of service.
  • Khelos said:
    Karthos said:
    I just checked myself. No lumps

Now what?
    Cancer must be in your brain, sending thoughts and prayers #hopetheyhelp
    Have you seen a doctor lately?  You may have a malignancy growing in your brain cutting off the flow of thoughts and making you sadly despondent and depressed over missing the train.   Many people missed out for many reasons.  But you don't see them whining about it.  Many people couldn't afford the ticket to hop aboard the Ashes Express.  But you don't see them crying foul because their bank wouldn't give them a loan.   
    For the most part, many people understand their limitations,  whether it's due to missing the train or opting to walk instead.

I hope you find a cure for what ails you besides tears. Tears just don't work. 

• I hope you find a cure for what ails you besides tears. Tears just don't work. 

I don't know about that

Image result for stewie your tears sustain me gif
    edited September 2018
    It's like missing out on any other kickstarter exclusive... Personally I'm okay that it is never being offered again. Pay up front, or pay as we go, IS will get their coin... It will take a few years for a lifetime kickstarter to break even then fully enter 'freely'.. It's all still a gamble.. Will the game be good, or crash and burn? Will the game hold people? Will it hold them for five years, ten years? All unknowns...
    I feel, with this team, if any team and company can pull off the next big hit, it's this one..and if it dose becomes a success.. I truly do not mind the $15 a month.
  • Khelos said:
    Would it be possible to add the option to the store that would give endless subscription for an adequate one time fee?  I don't mind paying a lot, and I've missed the ship on the kickstarter, but I also really do not like knowing and worrying if I have enough or have to worry about it month to month.  3 year cost at $540?  Would really appreciate the option.  It sounds stupid but I don't pay sub fees, only one time fees.  Hope we get that option.
    If your whole reason is simply that you want to play this game without having to be bothered worrying about a continual fee the there technically is a way to do this and it wont even cost you an initial fee. Its called the referal system. All you need to do is put in the effort now to recruit enough fresh players (7 minimum) and the game becomes free for you to play, no more reoccurring monthly fee to worry about and as a bonus Intrepid gains more people to play their game.