What's the My.com hate all stem from?

I'm not a big game junkie in recent years so I have most likely missed all the context behind the negative connotation with My.com, but what's the cliff notes version behind it?  I have been following AoC for the past couple months and it looks pretty awesome to me, as well as seems like the staff and devs are passionate about it, but I swear people are calling that My.com move a deal-breaker.  What's the big deal behind it?

Comments

  • Apparently my.com does a lot of p2w stuff or something other. I don't know much about it because I live in the freest land in the world. The sandal to Canada's foot. America.
  • My.com released a lot of pay2win games so everyone feared that AoC will now be pay2win.
    But the opposite is the case: Intrepid wanted to have a 100% control over the game and the only EU publisher who was willing to do this was my.com. Every other publisher wanted some portion of control over the game which means they would have probably introduced some kind of cash grab model (pay2win) into the game.
    So my.com will just give us servers and accounts but the control over the game will remain with Intrepid.

    Intrepid would have self-published the game in EU but due to strict EU regulations this would have taken some time (and money) and would have screwed up the plan to release before 2020.

    My.com had some other issues in the past like hacked accounts. But then again most games have had Problems with hacked Accounts, so i don't understand why this is a my.com Problem.

    I think you should watch this, where everything is explained in detail:


    Everyone else feel free to correct me if i said something wrong or incomplete.
  • You will soon (after launch) understand, why they hate it :)

    Augentier said:

    Every other publisher wanted some portion of control over the game which means they would have probably introduced some kind of cash grab model (pay2win) into the game.
    This is a clear lie. There are countless games that hasn't got p2w model, yet behind each, there is a publisher...

    Augentier said:
    Intrepid would have self-published the game in EU but due to strict EU regulations this would have taken some time (and money) and would have screwed up the plan to release before 2020.
    If a company can't even do a simple job like publishing a game in a region, then how would anyone expect them to create a decent game either? They aren't found the idea of this game today... they had way more than enough time...

    It's simply just more cost effective to let others do the work.
  • akmaa said:
    If a company can't even do a simple job like publishing a game in a region, then how would anyone expect them to create a decent game either? They aren't found the idea of this game today...  

    Please forgive me if this comes out wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to present yourself as being smart and knowing the ins and outs of the industry, but you clearly don't. I know how to code and I know how to do planning and a few other things, but I have no idea how to publish a game in a different country. You could expect me to put out some decent code, but you would be a fool to expect me to then publish that code in multiple regions all by a single deadline. I have no friggin clue. Does this mean the AoC team is as ignorant as me? No idea, but I would not make fun of them if they were. Different people do different jobs and have different skills, go figure.

    Also on the My.com hate. Why tell them they will know once the game releases? If you know then perhaps you should share that information with everyone else. I am truly sorry if this is coming out wrong, but your statements added zero to the conversation and only made it sound like you have some hidden grudge?

    We only know what the devs have said in regards to their decision to go with that publisher. We have to trust that the decision was the right one and that the game will come out and be every bit as good as we hope. Until that time, bashing on the devs serves no purpose other than allowing you to pat yourself on the back for showing us how awesome you are at bashing people.

    Again, I do not mean for this post to be viewed as negative or as being against any single poster, but it is truly bothersome to keep seeing posts like this which adds nothing to the conversation. If you have evidence showing that their publisher is going to ruin the game, please provide it. If all your evidence shows is that this publisher has issues like every other one..... I seriously would be more alarmed had they went with EA.

  • Well said Palorian, thank you.

    The negativity presented by the person you replied to bothers me.  It as though they want Ashes to fail so they can think that they are smarter than everyone else, perhaps?  Palorian, I think your reply showed excellent restraint and good logic, unlike the one above it.  Thanks.

  • You do understand the new data regulations are a huge hurdle for NA companies right?
  • I think most of the hate comes not from the p2w but account security/customer support which is shit but according to Steven my.com will have to uphold certain standards when it comes to AoC
  • If you played one of their games, you would know.
    Their customer service is really bad.
    They are one of those companies that outsources forum administration to other companies to clean up all negative posts on forums.
    They even forbid people to make any posts on forum containing the word p2w, or you got banned.
    https://massivelyop.com/2015/03/26/skyforge-wont-tolerate-the-word-p2w/

    They take ages to answear ticktets, if they ever do, and most of the time you get unpolite answears.
    They also have a tendancy to attack the players when the game doesnt do well
    ("didnt follow our vision" blabla)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    akmaa said:
    Palorian said:
    Please forgive me if this comes out wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to present yourself as being smart and knowing the ins and outs of the industry, but you clearly don't. I know how to code and I know how to do planning and a few other things, but I have no idea how to publish a game in a different country. You could expect me to put out some decent code, but you would be a fool to expect me to then publish that code in multiple regions all by a single deadline. I have no friggin clue. Does this mean the AoC team is as ignorant as me? No idea, but I would not make fun of them if they were. Different people do different jobs and have different skills, go figure.
    No it only means that you are dumb.

    You are dumberer.

  • akmaa said:

    If you open your little eyes, many player already told many thing about My.com in many topics. I not going to repeat them, If someone is so dumb that still couldn't understand it, then he will going feel it on he's own skin. Personal experience is the best teacher after all...
    Post content, not noise. 

    I don't think slinging insults will serve any purpose to make your point or convince people you are thinking logically. Please show some respect. 

    Everything you are saying has already been said by someone else. I recommend reading up. 

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40179/do-you-think-my-com-can-handle-the-publishing-of-ashes-of-creation/p1

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/162195#Comment_162195

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40190/with-all-of-the-my-com-rabble/p1

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40162/about-the-partnership-with-my-com/p1
  • This topic has already been beaten to a pulp. Thanks @xLangatanGx for dragging back up the topics so the op can read until they are content. 
  • You sound very young, or at the very least not reasonable.
Sign In or Register to comment.