Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Microtransactions for cosmetics are not ok

I will start of by saying it's all my personal opinion and I m not set for spreading of misconception or anything like that. I'm saying that because mmo producents makes less atractive armor sets, mounts  and weapons to encourage buying those for real $$(not accusing current studio of doing that). As a apppearnce collector that loves to set variety of different apperances of my avatar. Some will be locked behind paywall.

In my experience cash shop gets more updates than actual game when it comes to items, armor, weapons and special effects(skin wise). Why do we have to pay for sub if there is additional system to make money available. I'm not suggesting to get rid of any of those 2 (sub, cash shop). I'm more on setting player awarnes that they milk us from cash really easily. Is 15 $ a Mounth not enough? Are we going to see stuff set to 30$ to buy cool looking armor set? 

I heard there is bonus exp with one bundle but not sure if it's true if so, that's really sad.

I have question to all who had experience with any other mmo. What is your experience with cash shops? Weren't you upset when you saw some stuff you had to pay extra? Instead putting it in there to unlock by quest, achievement and etc? 
 It's really nice that we don't have to buy the box version for AoC.

Comments

• There are multiple threads that address all your concerns with multiple opinions on the issue here already. At least they have been clear about their intentions from inception and have not broken any of those promises so far. Do your due diligence and decide if Intrepid is going down the path that is acceptable to you. If not, move on.
  • Has there been any indication so far that the quality and aesthetics of standard in-game gear will be inferior to the options available in the cash shop? Given how early we are in the development cycle, I don't see how we can tell either way.

I certainly don't want AoC to follow BDO's example when it comes to in-game sets/skins, and I understand raising that concern with the devs. But calling out against cash shop cosmetics in general is a step too far in my opinion.

• You know this might have held some credit if Intrepid didn't already say that:

1. In game items will not look like shit just to get players to buy cash shop items, they are planning to make in-game armors look good just as much as cosmetics (obviously low level armors won't be at the same level, but that's the point, a pile of shit does not look anywhere close to a diamond)

2. Intrepid have also said that you will be able to unlock cosmetics in-game and that you will not be able to buy them either, so there you go, want to look good and don't want to pay for it ? then work hard 'w'
  • Gadwar said:
    I heard there is bonus exp with one bundle but not sure if it's true if so, that's really sad.
    You heard wrong.  Intrepid would consider that pay-to-win and they won't do that.
  • I dunno.
    For me, the cosmetics I purchase are similar to the action figures and accessories I bought for GI Joes and Barbies and superheroes when I was a kid - especially when I was a teen. Price points are probably equivalent with inflation.

Seems like crafters should be able to make enough cool stuff that I'd like to wear without me needing to buy from the shop just to look cool. If certain colors can only be obtained from the cash shop, sure that would be shady, but there's no evidence that's the case, yet... and currently seems unlikely.
  • You know this might have held some credit if Intrepid didn't already say that:

1. In game items will not look like shit just to get players to buy cash shop items, they are planning to make in-game armors look good just as much as cosmetics (obviously low level armors won't be at the same level, but that's the point, a pile of shit does not look anywhere close to a diamond)

2. Intrepid have also said that you will be able to unlock cosmetics in-game and that you will not be able to buy them either, so there you go, want to look good and don't want to pay for it ? then work hard 'w'
    Well, there we go then. The issue has been raised and addressed.  :D
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    There are indeed xp boosts in the purchasable path, BUT they are purely for APOCALYPSE. So you can get cosmetics faster . . . and that means P2W?
  • I believe the cash shop gets updated once a month and it'll have about 6 items for $115. I'm weary of to many cosmetics as well but if you're only updating the cosmetic shop once a month with 5-6 items that aren't available after that month. I'm perfectly content with that.

What I'm worried about is them rolling out 300+ cosmetics from now until launch through the store and Apocalypse. I don't know how anyone can't think that's absurd amount of cosmetics before the game releases.
  • I believe the cash shop gets updated once a month and it'll have about 6 items for $115. I'm weary of to many cosmetics as well but if you're only updating the cosmetic shop once a month with 5-6 items that aren't available after that month. I'm perfectly content with that.

What I'm worried about is them rolling out 300+ cosmetics from now until launch through the store and Apocalypse. I don't know how anyone can't think that's absurd amount of cosmetics before the game releases.
    From what I have seen and heard, most of the cosmetics seem to be the same but different color schemes. So that is just like 5 minutes in photoshop for one person. Little to no effort for that and that is totally fine by me. It just means they are pouring more manpower into the game instead of cosmetics.
  • I missed the part where having cosmetics gives your character advantages. Ashes is going to be P2W it's going to hurt.
  • Azathoth said:
    I missed the part where having cosmetics gives your character advantages. Ashes is going to be P2W it's going to hurt.
    Damn those kickstarter upgrades give you a free pass from corruption too 'w'
  • Azathoth said:
    I missed the part where having cosmetics gives your character advantages. Ashes is going to be P2W it's going to hurt.
    was that the angel skin ^^
  • nagash said:
    Azathoth said:
    was that the angel skin ^^
    Hell yeah advocating peace and so on while blasting people with some magic.
  •   I do hope the studio will make me eat my words and then i will gladly spend money on their game/content or even microtransactions. I just hope they won't time gate cosmetic aspect of gear to ridiculous amount of grind.
       I didn't say anything about Pay to win but putting stuff behind paywall or really hard to reach. Advantage exp in inquiring cosmetic it's still advantage cuz $$ and no other way around it. It it's not a big deal for you but what about people that like this side of the game? I wasnt aware its only for apocalypse but this mode will stay and it will be playable and most people don't care since most is not interested in playing it. I think there will be people interested playing this mode regardless so what about them?

I would like somone to list positive aspects of heaving cash shop in the game for us players.

Also I will work on my credit score since no matter how hard I try, I just can't get credit with AutumnLeaf xD.
      Aside everything I said in my posts, don't treat them like I'm super negative about the game. I'm actually super excited and I plan to move in to the game with my guild fellas at the time of  launch. I will wait until they will give us more footage of combat and then i will get my moneh floowing if it hits my sweet mmo spot.

Cheers all!
    edited December 2018
    Want to put this  issue to rest...and I'm concerned.....give players in the game ways to earn "cash shop" items. WHY would a subscription based game have a cash shop  ? This  suggest money as the driving force behind decision making.
  • Do you know a sub game that doesn't have a cash shop?
  • Do you know a sub game that doesn't have a cash shop?
    Is that a norm that every company has to follow?
    I meam, some irregularity would be nice in today's markets.
  • Gadwar said:
    Do you know a sub game that doesn't have a cash shop?
    I mean, some irregularity would be nice in today's markets.
    Fixed your typo for you :smile:

I am just gonna leave this list here:

-Wages for employees
    -Incentives for hard work and effort
    -Server cost
    -Electricity bill
    -Possible legal adviser fee (just in case)
    -Building cost or rent payed monthly

Ran out of time but this is what I have off the top of my head.
  • Gadwar said:
    I mean, some irregularity would be nice in today's markets.
    Fixed your typo for you :smile:

I am just gonna leave this list here:

-Wages for employees
    -Incentives for hard work and effort
    -Server cost
    -Electricity bill
    -Possible legal adviser fee (just in case)
    -Building cost or rent payed monthly

Ran out of time but this is what I have off the top of my head.
      Thanks for fixing the typo. I hope I won't make more xD. I think I will hehe.
       It all depends how successful the game will be but if half of million people paying their subs won't cover those expenses then what will? We don't know their expenses unless you have access to that. There were mmos before cash shops somehow managing by living of on box price and sub. I'm all in to support their team but I find it really hard to believe the cash shop is the only option. I would be willing to pay for huge expansions than random singular "cosmetics" additions. 
  • The cash shop is the alternative to the box cost. I prefer the cash shop so we can get all the content for free. I played Tera for 7 years and spent a lot of money on the cash shop but can safely say I would have been just fine only living off my elite membership. Had to get some of those outfits though :smile:  The only two characters I never bought cash shop cosmetics for were my female elf priest and male human lancer because the in game gear sets purchased from fashion coupons were way better. The way Tera handled its cosmetics was to have the flashy out of lore stuff in the shop and the actual gear designs be attainable only through gameplay. I would not mind that here tbh.
  • Gadwar said:
    I meam, some irregularity would be nice in today's markets.
    Yes, it is.  Not having one is the equivalent of telling players, “Sorry we don’t want your money.”  And you’re likely to have players disappointed, who want those kinds of micro transactions.
  • So, they have stated that there would be alternatives in game to most (if not all) cash shop cosmetics. If you really like a cosmetic and have some money drop the dough. It supports Ashes and allows them additional monies to make new content with. Sure, the sub keeps everything running and everyone paid, but anymore without content drops or expansions people raise pitch forks.

With a cash shop people raise pitch forks.
    With a sub cost people raise pitch forks.
    With free to play people raise pitch forks.

In the end, if you are happy paying the sub and don't want to pitch in for new cosmetics, don't. Cosmetics don't give your characters advantage, so no worries there. If you want a similar cosmetic, look on the Wiki and find the quest that gives the similar cosmetic. (I am generally against these types of Wikis but you might need them).

IS asking me for a few extra bucks so my armor can leave a sparkly rainbow trail behind me as I run is cool. I'm not going to buy it, but offering it is cool.
  • Atama said:
    Gadwar said:
    You heard wrong.  Intrepid would consider that pay-to-win and they won't do that.
    Someone linked a photo, though i can't find it right now, where they shows, that someone that buys the epic path, will get an xp boost. So you are wrong
  • insomnia said:
    Atama said:
    Gadwar said:
    Someone linked a photo, though i can't find it right now, where they shows, that someone that buys the epic path, will get an xp boost. So you are wrong
    Your level has nothing to do with power, but only affects cosmetic progression. Those that pay earn cosmetics faster. While it skirts the line of p2convenience, it is in no way p2win. Once again, if you consider non-stat affecting cosmetics p2w then you are going to have a hard time here. 
  • What happened to being able to earn the cool stuff just by playing the game, and not having to open your wallet. Seems the nicest stuff, are now in cash shops. This is why the older gamers are getting tired of these games
  • Your level has nothing to do with power, but only affects cosmetic progression. Those that pay earn cosmetics faster. While it skirts the line of p2convenience, it is in no way p2win. Once again, if you consider non-stat affecting cosmetics p2w then you are going to have a hard time here. 
    You just said that there wasn't an xp boost, which isn't completely true. I just pointet that out.

I see pretty much nothing cool in the normal progression path. But there sure are in the legendary path. Currently I think they are the same as other developers
    https://imgur.com/a/MUKOsFo

• Replace hip hop with mmo's/gaming
  • If a cash shop just has cosmetics, I don't understand how anyone could possibly care.
    The trick Devs need to learn is moving content instead of removing.
    Keep the same cosmetic cloak in a shop forever if you want, but if you want to make room for new items, make a discount tab in the shop, filled with all the old items that have been in the store for years.
    Even later than that and the stuff in the discount tab is like 2-3 years old, move it in game.
    make the cloak a rare drop from a boss that isn't relevant anymore, get people doing old content if they care enough for the cosmetic.
    This gets people doing dungeons/raid they normally wouldn't ever do again, which in turn helps new players who do still need that boss done.
    edited December 2018
    Back when i startet playing video games, and for years. You bought the game, and that was that. It would take each before there was even talk about an expansion. Now, they talk about DLC's, which is just a different word for expansions, before a game is even released. And you earned stuff by playing the game, and not opening your damn wallet. And all the coolest stuff are in the shops now. And developers know it can/is importent for gamers to look cool in a  game. Intrepid even said that them self. And there are lots of money for company's to make from "just cosmetics". Why do you think so many games have them now. There is something alluring with some of the items. Stop being mindless puppets. And there is the principle
  • insomnia said:
    Atama said:
    Gadwar said:
    So far that's incorrect. Apocalypse isn't ashes of creation. Its a separate f2p entity.