Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you guys think Ashes will be just another MMORPG or will it be something entirely different?

Comments

• Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    it's what they want you 2 believe @Czar

tinfoil hat on!
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I think it will be different enough. There are many things they are trying to combine. I just want it to feel intuitive and not just like they smashed pieces together hoping it works. I am really excited about the breeding system, and that's enough for me! BDO horses have tainted me.

There is a love/hate relationship with quest and area walkthroughs. With there being so many differences between servers and the ever changing surroundings (plus there are no markers on your map), I hope it adds to the difficulty. I want to see each server community have to work together to gather information . If they manage to make a game with a mostly positive community, well, that will be entirely different!
  • Options
    URanu5URanu5 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm praying that they redefine the MMO industry, mainly with nodes and environmental detail/interaction.
    But if anything else I am just hoping for a fresh start with an RP community that won't destroy/deteriorate itself... TALL ORDER, yes, but plausible.
    planet-uranus.jpg
  • Options
    WreynaWreyna Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We're all here because we want something different. :)
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If they keep what they promised and dont sell out, then I believe that Ashes will beat any MMORPG on the market.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    If they keep what they promised and dont sell out, then I believe that Ashes will beat any MMORPG on the market.

And a few years later my.com will go away. Then everything will be as it should be c:
  • Options
    esthonesthon Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Lets be honest here. MMORPG's are there for about 2 decades.
    By now its such a refined as genre that there is almost no room to make somthing entirely unique. The closest was Blade and Soul and thats more of a fighting game then an MMORPG.
    Every new MMORPG can only add so much new that it wont feel like something entirely new. There are just some flavours to add that can make it feel fresh.
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is a fine balance to provide an MMORPG that that has all the parts we want but is unique enough not to feel like it is just repeating other MMO's. The challenge is including everything everyone wants. There will always be some section of the community that feels their needs are not covered. The initial direction and outlook is good, no P2W, a world that is affected by the actions of the people in it. The last 6 months has proved they got a little ahead of themselves, but the fact they have recognised that is a good sign. I have great hope this is the fantasy MMO that I have always wanted. Time will tell :smile:
  • Options
    KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it has the potential to be quite big. But even if it doesn't simply because its not a wow clone it can likely carve out its own healthy niche. I believe eve online lives on like 20,000 players and even though its an old game it has interesting features and it is 100% not wow. The original everquest still gets updates and it is most certainly not wow. https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the-internet-the-story-of-everquest-the-mmo-that-changed-everything/
    I think the mmo market has never been more primed for something like ashes. Which is part of the reason we are all here since the current games in the genre just hasn't been doing it right. When ever I go to mmo circles online I often hear them talk about things ashes has. I hear them say things like I miss large scale battles, open world pvp, hard raids, legendary quest chains, not having LFR, real community, not being able to easily solo everything, 40 man raids, complex crafting systems, not having pay to win, not hitting max level in 5 hours, not having race and gender locked classes. And this is only the tip of the ice berg of things people miss. I could easily go on for pages about why I think ashes will succeed because at the very least there is not really any competition for it since no game is quite like ashes and I believe it will be the first of the kickstarter mmos to launch.Perhaps in Nov 2020. From what I can gather the other ones are least 1 to 2 more years out. Unless crowfall suddenly gets it together. I heard things about a soft launch that was later cancelled.

Wow classic will likely be a big game since it to has many features that has left the mmo space. Especially since many online personalities who don't usually play mmos have said they are interested in streaming it. But I believe it will reignite interest in the genre and build hype for a game that is once again not wow. Though wow classic will satisfy big portions of the mmo community it won't be enough for everyone. There are no castle sieges, ship combat, mounted combat, nodes, changing seasons and more in wow classic. And to my knowledge not many dynamic events in response to player activity or as much pvp as ashes plans to have in wow classic.

Also modern wow is killing itself really badly with youtubers who have played the game for over a decade saying that they cant bring themselves to play anymore. He said he tried to politely talk to someone in a dungeon since there was no one chatting and he got told to stfu and then silence followed for the rest of the dungeon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_63N5dkRk&t=4s

The community must also agree since the most liked post on the wow Reddit ever is a letter by a long term fan saying that wow isn't as good as it used to be.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/a7rrmy/a_letter_to_blizzard_entertainment/
  • Options
    LxrdmegatronLxrdmegatron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It has the complexities of a great MMO with some in-depth resources. such as an improved node system if executed correctly it will be one if not the greats
  • Options
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

And a few years later my.com will go away. Then everything will be as it should be c:

@Autumnleaf one can hope :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    Epy00Epy00 Member
    I think one of the big advantages this game has in development is the fact that Steven Sharif loves MMORPGs. He already knows what he doesn't like and what he does like, so he has a good understanding of what is fun, what is stale, and what would be really neat to bring to the table. I think Jeffrey Bard has his hands full to make Steven's vision a reality, but it seems like they have a good relationship. Steven, if you need content/story writers hit me up!
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the AOC team can deliver on Steven's dream or a close approximation of it then yes Ashes of creation will be different in many ways. Do what wow did pick up the good ideas and make them better innovate and create see if MMO's can be made great again.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that when AOC launches its just the beginning a starting point from which we will hopefully see a fun innovative game grow.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    It will be something different to each of us.
    Just like every MMO it wont satisfy everyone.
    Will it be a WoW, no. Those days of MMOs being a industry changer are over.
    I do believe it'll have success and longevity if it delivers on promises.
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    It will be good but it won't be the game we're expecting. There are too many crybabies for that. Caravans will not be destroyed for their parts. Instead every caravan will reach its destination minus 10% of it's goods if it loses a battle. Freeholds will only burn down visually. After the fire dies down the freehold will still be there fully intact with all it's stuff. Nodes will not be destroyed or even deleveled because that will cause too much frustration and people will quit, and after a certain level weapons won't break any more. If people can't even handle the waiting period how are they going to handle the actual game? They do know the entire game is about rising from the ashes of destruction right? Other than that, everything will be the same and the game will be very good. 9/10 stars.

If you turn it into a steampunk western 8/10 stars as a game and as a Netflix show. :smiley:
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    sunfrog wrote: »
    It will be good but it won't be the game we're expecting. There are too many crybabies for that. After a certain level weapons won't break any more. Caravans will not be destroyed for their parts. Instead every caravan will reach it's destination minus 10% of it's goods if it loses a battle. Freeholds will only burn down visually. After the fire dies down the freehold will still be there fully intact with all it's stuff. Nodes will not be destroyed or even deleveled because that will cause too much frustration and people will quit. If people can't even handle the waiting period how are they going to handle the actual game? They do know the entire game is about rising from the ashes of destruction right? Other than that, everything will be the same and the game will be very good. 9/10 stars.

If you turn it into a steampunk western 8/10 stars as a game and as a Netflix show. :smiley:

I really hope that IS will stand strong against the crybabies.... I for one like the deleveling of nodes and the destruction of freeholds... If you cant defend it you dont deserve it!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    sunfrog wrote: »
    It will be good but it won't be the game we're expecting. There are too many crybabies for that. Caravans will not be destroyed for their parts. Instead every caravan will reach its destination minus 10% of it's goods if it loses a battle. Freeholds will only burn down visually. After the fire dies down the freehold will still be there fully intact with all it's stuff. Nodes will not be destroyed or even deleveled because that will cause too much frustration and people will quit, and after a certain level weapons won't break any more. If people can't even handle the waiting period how are they going to handle the actual game? They do know the entire game is about rising from the ashes of destruction right? Other than that, everything will be the same and the game will be very good. 9/10 stars.

@sunfrog that's the thing really :expressionless: let crybabies cry...just make a good game and in time people from all genres enjoy it! Not just desperate and pathetic 'MMORPGers'
    signature.png
  • Options
    I think AOC is no the next step in terms of MMORPG, is the next generation, what I expect of this project is that it put the bar so higth that the other studios need to trudly put an effort to make great videogames and actually IMPROVE, a lot of the industry is feeling very safe doing the same thing again and again and again, as we say here in México, "se pusieron a dormir el sueño de los justos", so they are more quantity than quality, I expect that, when AOC comes out, the playerbase starts to compare ESO, WOW, FFXIV, etc etc with it and the people in charge of thos game can say, "WE NEED TO STEP OUT AND DO IT BETTER" and when they do Intrepid will say, "we will not get down without a fight!!!" and improve, the main reason that MMORPG games has not done major improvements in the past 10 or 12 years is that theres no competition, I reaaly hope AOC will bring this competition and to a whole new level AND that we, the players, get the benefits of all this :#
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    @Lumbermark
    The problem is that the whole genre is asphyxiated by WoW.
    Did you notice that after the release of WotLK the whole genre slowly started to die out? It is because everyone, like you said, just started to imitate WoW, and no one could beat WoW, because how can you beat something if you only imitate it?
    Even MMORPGs that tried something different died out, because most of the casual playerbase is/was gobbled up by WoW. Now that WoW is slowly dieing, i believe that MMORPGs have an ectual chance again.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I have seen a lots of news about a massive migration of WoW players going to FFXIV and ESO, I really hope WoW don't die, insted they improve themselves and become better, because all the games are at the same risk of "hey we have players now, let's not effort too much" at least those are my expectations @Damokles
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    I have seen a lots of news about a massive migration of WoW players going to FFXIV and ESO, I really hope WoW don't die, insted they improve themselves and become better, because all the games are at the same risk of "hey we have players now, let's not effort too much" at least those are my expectations @Damokles

Yeah but the thing that leads to the mass migration wont stop. WoW is just... Too old? I dont know how to say it... It is always the same, if you know what i mean. you get max level nearly instantly with your first char through the lvl100 boost and do you 10 level, then you start world quests, and qorld quests and world quests, and then dungeons and dungeons followed by dungeons... AND EVERYTHING IS SO EASY! They scaled WoW too easy, because they listened to crybabies who didnt want challenging level experiences, then they listened to crybabies who didnt want to level from 1 to max and demanded a boost, then they listened to people that raids where too hard, so they gave them lfr.
    The moment, that Activision bought Blizzard led them to a slow death.
    They should go down on their own accord, not silently into the night of regrets. I dont like shitting on WoW (I fukn grew up with that game, i played it since i was 12... But I cant defend it anymore)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

Yeah but the thing that leads to the mass migration wont stop. WoW is just... Too old? I dont know how to say it... It is always the same, if you know what i mean. you get max level nearly instantly with your first char through the lvl100 boost and do you 10 level, then you start world quests, and qorld quests and world quests, and then dungeons and dungeons followed by dungeons... AND EVERYTHING IS SO EASY! They scaled WoW too easy, because they listened to crybabies who didnt want challenging level experiences, then they listened to crybabies who didnt want to level from 1 to max and demanded a boost, then they listened to people that raids where too hard, so they gave them lfr.
    They should go down on their own accord, not silently into the night of regrets. I dont like shitting on WoW (I fukn grew up with that game, i played it since i was 12... But I cant defend it anymore)

Yeah I first played wow during Burning Crusade and Warcraft 3 was my first game ever when I was less than 10 but when tried wow during Legion I just couldn't get into it, the game is really stale right now and way too easy. All you do to level up is get level 20 (I think) and jump into Group finder, then steam roll through dungeons because all your teammates will be people who have done them multiple times and will not give a fuck just run through the whole thing.
  • Options
    @Autumnleaf
    It feels as if they have WoW on lifesupport... They just want to make as much money as possible.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Autumnleaf
    It feels as if they have WoW on lifesupport... They just want to make as much money as possible.

welcome to the world we live in that will be £5
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    @Autumnleaf

Very accurate. I wish someone made a darksouls mmo xD
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the devs can fulfill the game design concepts, Ashes will be significantly different: MMORPG 2.0.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I wouldn't say the players wanted the max level boosts because leveling is hard, but rather because leveling in WoW is so boring, takes far too long and doesn't make any sense from a lore, character progression or player teaching standpoint.

As for why so many people are leaving WoW for other mmorpgs, I can only speak for myself here. I left because I hated the decisions Blizzard made when it comes to end game gear progression. You are right that Blizzard are making the game easier but the reason why players aren't able to complete the content is because of how Blizzard distributes gear.

Blizzard is as much to blame for the players incompetence as the players themselves.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited April 2019
    @Dygz I thought exactly the same; 'MMORPG 2.0' It will still be an MMO but with revolutionary features. I as most people will still wait till alpha 1 to have some idea of how the game will be like when it's launched/ So far what we've been told is really promising
    signature.png
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The honest answer is "I" don't know.

I see a lot of promising concepts, and personal investment to make it work....but I've seen promising projects fail.

MMOs are one of the hardest games to get right, and MMO players are some of the hardest to please.

Given the extreme development costs, and the risks involved, anyone's motivation for making a good game is highly influenced by some very cruel pressures and I don't know if anyone or any system, or any team gets out of it unscathed.

I'm rooting for the team, and I wanted the project to happen. I've done as much as I can on my part to lessen the burden on the team financially to help alleviate the problems that publishing and those things can add that makes games get released before they're done, and die an early death.

I'm hoping we see a hard earned success.
  • Options
    @wanderingmist
    What do you mean with end-game gear progression? Do you mean the fact, that Activision-Blizzard throws Epic gear around as if it was candy, or that Dungeons can give better gear then raids? xD
    a6XEiIf.gif