Do you guys think Ashes will be just another MMORPG or will it be something entirely different?

kayrakayra Member
edited May 19 in General Discussion
I believe it will be somewhere between however much I hope it to be something entirely different (mainly because I despise the MMORPG genre as it comprises of one or two unique games that don't 'feel' like a game from 2005). Despite the promising features they've told us, in my opinion, if the core gameplay mechanics is just like any other MMORPG (uninteresting combat, lack of deep exploration, being non-immersive, unexciting story and quests and in general the 'artificial' feel that most MMOs have - in which case you just click stuff to do something rather than putting an effort that emphasize the 'RPG' element), it would still be a decent game and even perhaps the best MMORPG out there but wouldn't be able to impress most of the gamers around the world and would cease to exist when a better MMORPG comes to the market and change the genre for good but this time for real.

signature.png
«1345

Comments

  • autumnleafautumnleaf Member, Braver of Worlds
    As long as they deliver on everything they have planned for the game then it will be something fresh and new compared to the multitudes of wow clones out there c:
  • pjrydeckerpjrydecker Member, Braver of Worlds
    Erm..... I hope it is going to make MMORPGs great again combining the best elements of the old school MMOs and kicking to the wayside all the modern wack a node style MMOs
    4ZZpOBh.gif
  • nagashnagash Member, Leader of Men
    it has a necromancer what more could I ask for?
    2mgwkfk.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CeiventCeivent Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix
    Since it's going to lack the easy wallet/menu of convenience I believe that community is going to be grand. A great community can make even a bad game good. That said it's not void of quarks people players don't like. Should be sold. It has a phoenix good in it. Has to be good. ☺️
  • gaeleathgaeleath Member, Braver of Worlds
    If anything, it's going to be something else than all the Eastern MMO's that have been flooding the market.

    Signature.png
  • dahliadahlia Member, Braver of Worlds
    I'm not sure yet, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high though. regardless I'll still enjoy~
  • grisugrisu Member
    Since they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, but polish and reintroduce loved mechanics and the feel from older mmos, I would say it will be just another MMO, but actually good.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
  • kayrakayra Member
    edited May 19
    grisu wrote: »
    Since they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, but polish and reintroduce loved mechanics and the feel from older mmos, I would say it will be just another MMO, but actually good.

    Agreed. Hopefully every moment of it will be fun for all kinds of gamers :smile:


    signature.png
  • desseusdesseus Member, Pioneer
    I feel as long as people stick with it and give it a chance along with much of what was promised is delivered it will be simply incredible. Many of you have already mentioned great points I just hope people will remain here and not jump to another MMORPG that might appear to be closer to completion.
  • morashtakmorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds
    The MMO community has picked their favorites and it is difficult to pry them away.

    The best advice so far is for a studio to choose a demographic and tailor their product to them. Do it so well that the servers can keep running, updates happen on time, and payroll/bills paid. If you can do all that then the game is a success no matter how small (relatively) the player base is.

    IS has chosen their demographic and there seems to be enough hype to suggest AoC will have some success.
    owuEH4S.png
  • kayrakayra Member
    edited May 19
    morashtak wrote: »
    The MMO community has picked their favorites and it is difficult to pry them away.

    The best advice so far is for a studio to choose a demographic and tailor their product to them. Do it so well that the servers can keep running, updates happen on time, and payroll/bills paid. If you can do all that then the game is a success no matter how small (relatively) the player base is.

    IS has chosen their demographic and there seems to be enough hype to suggest AoC will have some success.

    @Morashtak I agree. It's hard to predict the demographics for Ashes tho as it tries to appeal to as many people as possible. One could say they appeal to the WoW crowd who are so sick of the same old thing and fond of the PvE elements or the ESO crowd who like the 'hybrid' combat and wants something similar and even the BDO crowd who love mass PvPs and sandbox elements. Whether Ashes can provide something for all these players is yet to be seen.

    signature.png
  • Like every other Fantasy-MMORPG it has to have some things in common with WOW, ESO, FFXIV, etc. in fact, a lot of us expect that AOC will bring back some of the thing the vanilla MMO genre have, like the social interaction or the way you can customize a character, not only the phisical but the class and type of abilites you can aquaire along with new types of mechanics like the node system and a real open world sandbox feeling (not just a lineal quest line with a ton of minisidequest)
    ualpdob62df.png

  • I think it's going to be big.

    From videos and apoc, it's probably the most beautiful MMO I've seen/played so far. The art style is very easy on the eyes, colors are well done and tasteful, and the environmental graphics are incredible. I'm excited to see what the UE4 engine can do.

    The active combat is a lot of fun via Apoc (I'll hold my opinion on hybrid until alpha 1). There is a lot of new innovation and additional skill required which makes combat (which is definitely one of MMO's weakest areas) very refreshing and fun. If you can create a fun combat system, grinding will become a fun activity. A little unrelated, but Sekiro probably has the best combat system of any game and every fight feels very fun, intuitive, and rewarding. I could farm low levels all day in that game because it's so stimulating. If AoC's combat is just a slight upgrade to the norm, it will have a ton of lasting power.

    The fact that they are operating on kickstarter funds rather than a publishing company means that they will not have to answer to the whims of corporate overlords. This became the death of many great games (SWG, EQ, WoW). The devs having full creative ownership of their product is what's keeping me hopeful. I believe Intrepid will keep their creative integrity and will listen to their player-base. Other kickstarter games also have this advantage, however a ton of them seem to be stuck in development limbo (*cough* camelot) or still have a ways to go (Pantheon). The amount of progress they have made to AoC is the span of 1 year is incredible. It seems like they have most of their core systems finished as well, and alpha 1 is only months away.

    With hiring increases, I think the team is more than 100+ now? I think 2019 is going to show off what an amazing product this will be.
    “The gift of words is the gift of deception and illusion.”
    ― Frank Herbert
  • metalheadmetalhead Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    dahlia wrote: »
    I'm not sure yet, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high though. regardless I'll still enjoy~
    steph?

    Reinhard-New-SIg-with-guild-outline-With-GM.png
  • metalheadmetalhead Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    I have high hopes but low expectations
    Reinhard-New-SIg-with-guild-outline-With-GM.png
  • kayrakayra Member
    edited May 19
    supqtpie wrote: »
    I think it's going to be big.

    From videos and apoc, it's probably the most beautiful MMO I've seen/played so far. The art style is very easy on the eyes, colors are well done and tasteful, and the environmental graphics are incredible. I'm excited to see what the UE4 engine can do.

    The active combat is a lot of fun via Apoc (I'll hold my opinion on hybrid until alpha 1). There is a lot of new innovation and additional skill required which makes combat (which is definitely one of MMO's weakest areas) very refreshing and fun. If you can create a fun combat system, grinding will become a fun activity. A little unrelated, but Sekiro probably has the best combat system of any game and every fight feels very fun, intuitive, and rewarding. I could farm low levels all day in that game because it's so stimulating. If AoC's combat is just a slight upgrade to the norm, it will have a ton of lasting power.

    The fact that they are operating on kickstarter funds rather than a publishing company means that they will not have to answer to the whims of corporate overlords. This became the death of many great games (SWG, EQ, WoW). The devs having full creative ownership of their product is what's keeping me hopeful. I believe Intrepid will keep their creative integrity and will listen to their player-base. Other kickstarter games also have this advantage, however a ton of them seem to be stuck in development limbo (*cough* camelot) or still have a ways to go (Pantheon). The amount of progress they have made to AoC is the span of 1 year is incredible. It seems like they have most of their core systems finished as well, and alpha 1 is only months away.

    With hiring increases, I think the team is more than 100+ now? I think 2019 is going to show off what an amazing product this will be.

    @supqtpie Well said, I fully agree. Gotta wait till Alpha 1 to see the hybrid combat. One point tho: Ashes is fully funded by the CEO\Creative Director Steven Sharif himself ($30 million+). The kickstarter was used to raise more funds ($3,271,809) to add more features to the game.

    signature.png
  • Another MMORPG but very unique and big !!!
    S3gcPiA.jpg
  • h3llsing212h3llsing212 Member, Braver of Worlds
    It depends greatly on how much they will be focusing on the mmo and not apocalypse.
  • bcgiantbcgiant Member
    I don't know and neither can I say atm, have not seen enough of it yet!
    cH4i3m5.png
  • timbatimba Member, Leader of Men
    I hope the economy system will be different to all other games :>.
  • EsthonEsthon Member, Pioneer
    The question is goes it need to be something different?
    Whenever i dropped an MMO its not because it was the core systems that werent fun but something else was flawed.
    If AoC is going to be a fundamentally good MMO with some interesting twists i am fine.
  • kayrakayra Member
    edited May 19
    Esthon wrote: »
    The question is goes it need to be something different?
    Whenever i dropped an MMO its not because it was the core systems that werent fun but something else was flawed.
    If AoC is going to be a fundamentally good MMO with some interesting twists i am fine.

    I see. Well, there sure are many people who think that way. Although I disagree, I respect your opinion.



    signature.png
  • timbatimba Member, Leader of Men
    They dont have to change everything, but there will be some parts the have to change to make AoC special :).
  • narysnarys Member
    I think it'll be something unique for sure, kind of like ArcheAge meets BDO mixed in with Lineage 2 plus a sprinkling of Yata dust on top. Provided the Pay2Win stays out of it then I expect it to be a very special and popular game.
    IFqyey3.png
  • branegamesbranegames Member, Braver of Worlds
    I don't think AoC has to be something groundbreaking or the "killer" of WoW for it to be a good game. I would love it if its core features are well thoughtout and executed. The node system is defo new, but other than that I don't mind the game being overall generic or like its counterparts, so long as its done well
    test.png
  • autumnleafautumnleaf Member, Braver of Worlds
    WoW is killing itself at this point.
  • czarczar Member, Leader of Men
    Other MMO’s currently are just summed up as eastern MMO’s coming to NA with their P2W cash grabs etc. Already AoC is quite different in it’s goals and it’s mechanics. I hope it can remain as individualistic as it is now.
  • poisonzpoisonz Member, Braver of Worlds
    i thought it was a BR first :open_mouth:
    S9Lgfxv.png

  • czarczar Member, Leader of Men
    @poisonz Yes of course, they’re making the MMO to prepare for the BR
Sign In or Register to comment.