Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is everyone's take on the monthly cosmetics?

ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
DO you think Intrepid should stop rolling out the monthly cosmetics until and appropriate time? ie. the game being in a better state like A1?
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Comments

• Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see what the base models were so I could make a more informed decision.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    I dont quite follow what u mean?
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Base models are what you would get at the first level in game without making any kind of purchase. What we are buying in game are skins for those base models. And I would like to see base models at each of the 3 tiers.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    edited April 2019
    gotcha now i know what u mean lol
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019
    I would love it if they started to make the cosmetics month specific.
    Example: The mounts and other items go on the same month each year, and if they make more skins for that month then both skins go on sale at that month. That way we dont loose the chance to EVER obtaining that specific skin (maybe you just didnt have the money at the time but really liked the skin etc.)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Hmm not a bad idea, it does take somewhat of the exclusivity away from them, but it always give people a chance to reobtain, just a year later :joy:
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the Cosmetics weren't so crazy expensive i would like them a lot more.
    I would rather earn cosmetics than buy them, buying them does not make me feel like i accomplished anything.
  • Options
    Indeed i lvoe the feeling of earning a cosmetic that u see someone else wearing or as in other games where u can preview all the cosmetics available, and being one of the first few to wear them. I love being unique and trying to wear a costume that not alot of people wear.
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My only problem with them is that they're not in a more near finalized form. AKA you're buying an exclusive cosmetic and don't know the final execution for a premium price.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019
    teyloune wrote: »
    I would rather earn cosmetics than buy them, buying them does not make me feel like i accomplished anything.

We can earn cosmetics though...
    The weapon skins from Apocalypse are accessible in the MMORPG later i think^^
    They are really nice actually (armour skins look good, weapon skins are really good and I already have the fire phoenix skin for the griffon :D)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    V ery good point, we are legit paying for cosmetic art when in fact these could look so much different in game, that u might be spending 25$ for a cool looking costume and get something that looks worse then startere clothes lol
  • Options
    OrionOrion Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Alpha One
    I like the darker skins so far. The flamboyant, shiny armor sets theyve announced look pretty lame, so any skin i can use to cover up that nonsense is welcome.

Heroes of the People and Avatars of the Phoenix also get some exclusive aura for their characters. Because theyre in packages that cost 5-10 thousand dollars, i will be pretty damn annoyed if they release some "similar" auras for everyone else. I just dont want this game to turn into some shiny fashion show like path of exile.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    teyloune wrote: »
    I don't have a problem buying cosmetics, but I agree the price is a bit much especially for a game that will ultimately have a subscription cost.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Also curious if the cosmetics come as one piece, or as a set. like can i use the viking loincloth with the undead cloak? If so, this should be fun
  • Options
    @Orion i believe that was stated as a full set kinda deal, which im hoping is wrong, cuz i want to be able to mix match to make more unique sets, also the mods do get a similar aura to the Hero/Avatars o the Phoenix but i do hope for you guys' sake they dont make it a buyable/earnable aura similar to yours bc that is a kick in the face to you backers
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Orion wrote: »
    Also curious if the cosmetics come as one piece, or as a set. like can i use the viking loincloth with the undead cloak? If so, this should be fun

I believe that steven confirmed that the costumes are one piece.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Orion i believe that was stated as a full set kinda deal, which im hoping is wrong, cuz i want to be able to mix match to make more unique sets, also the mods do get a similar aura to the Hero/Avatars o the Phoenix but i do hope for you guys' sake they dont make it a buyable/earnable aura similar to yours bc that is a kick in the face to you backers

The monthly cosmetics are all one piece, there will be cosmetics in game that we will be able to mix and match to make unique sets.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Ok. No biggie. I'll always remember all of my loincloth transmogs in WOW :smiley:
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think they should have stopped when the BR came out and spent more time on that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Ehh i know they say the cosmetics take nothing as far as work, and the ppl that work on cosmetics dont necesarrily work on the core parts of the game it just baffles me how little weve been shown in the amount of time :/
  • Options
    For me, the biggest problem with cosmetics right now is the price. I am happy to pay for skins but £20 for a skin we have not even seen in the game is a bit much
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    yup totally agree i do like the smaller type skins that cost 5 but i do agree the skins we have been shown so far are not worth the 20$ also the moutns and pets cost too much too tbh
  • Options
    Yeah. For games that are F2P like Path of Exile that have over priced skins that is valid. I'm sure I read something about subscriptions here so if that's the case price needs to be lower.
  • Options
    15$/month for Sub fee
  • Options
    yeah the really need to be careful with the prices
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    IMHO i think they are getting money hungry,, i could somewhat understand if they had stuff to show for it, but rn its just 20$ concepts when they should be showing some form of ingame consmetics
    Ill still continue to buy them just bc i plan on playing this game for years to come (hopfully it lasts that long) im willing to wait multiple years for this game to come, i just dont want it rushed and dropped 1 year later
  • Options
    I think im just going to buy the items in October
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    AuronAuron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Don't like it.

Wouldn't bother me as much if we had many different news, posts or other things about the game. But for a very long time we only had monthly cosmetics and we still only have monthly cosmetics. At some point during the website changes, store was the only function of the website that was working properly as well. So it may be kinda worrying for a lot of players who has question marks on their heads about IS, that if cosmetics are always going to be the top priority, because that is how it looks like from the outside since we don't have anything else.
    Auronsyg.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To me, it's not an issue of "like or dislike", it's more about what it represents.

It shows Intrepid is making content, and allows them to showcase aspects of the game, art style, ect. It also helps build a sense if community in the way if exclusivity. We were all here at this time and could become one of the people to get THAT cosmetic.

On the other hand, it also shows a little window into what will be the additional cost if playing Ashes.

Yes there's a sub, so $15 to play, but there's always additional costs if you want extras (guacamole, bacon, cheese) and let's face it, we all want extras. So AoC is probably going to cost the average player more than $15 a month (except us Bravers and up!).

It's this "hidden cost" that gets people with poor impulse control in trouble. I honestly don't struggle for money, but if I bought everything month's cosmetics, it would impact my ability to stock my liquor cabinet. And that's bad.
    Aq0KG2f.png