Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is everyone's take on the monthly cosmetics?

13»

Comments

• Options
    CM KalezCM Kalez Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I don’t care if they sell cosmetics. They are a business and they want to make money.

If you don’t like them selling them, don’t buy them.

If you want them to show models don’t buy them until they do.
    Kalez.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kalez wrote: »
    I don’t care if they sell cosmetics. They are a business and they want to make money.

If you don’t like them selling them, don’t buy them.

If you want them to show models don’t buy them until they do.

Cant buy them when they are exclusive, so by the time they release models those things are already gone c:
  • Options
    burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    I think they're just fine. The only things they owe us are the things we all agreed to when we backed them. One of the things we knew was going to be around was a non p2w cosmetic cash shop. My only minor gripe with them is that I'd much rather be buying things with models and not just concept art.
  • Options
    dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
    Never had the money to venture into the cosmetics. Look dope though 👀
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
    He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv
  • Options
    ArkanthArkanth Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I don't really care as long as it doesn't affect development progress, which I guess it doesn't but there's still a quiet voice in my head telling me it might. Too many cosmetics and too little info.
    All Hail the Sky Fang Clan
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. The price is fair. People are buying them, they are making money. MMOs are undervalued with artificially low prices, the price of games has not increased with the actual cost of them. There has been discussion of this before, the industry has devalued itself by selling games and goods at low prices for all. If you aren't happy with the price or don't like only seeing concept art and don't buy into promises of eventual in game items, then simply don't buy anything.

2. The price reflects exclusivity. Intrepid is selling the design of exclusive items every month to fit themes and generate excitement (and yes get money, it's a business). In every aspect of life, in basic economics, status and exclusivity drive the sale of limited availability costly goods. From watches, exotic super cars, high end fashion garments, mansions on prime real estate and private luxury jet aircraft. All of these things are something that only a small percent of a population will ever get to have and something many people will strive to achieve, role models to be envied and revered. It sets a social hierarchy of desire to become more then what we are now. It offers a glimmer of hope, an illusion even, that the common person could one day live like a king or queen, we all strive to better ourselves and increase our standing in the world. Hunger to have it too, "I want that", most people understand that living like a king or queen is a privilege not an entitlement. It is the drive behind innovation and entrepreneurship, it is the spark of life.

3. I feel strongly that these monthly cosmetics must remain exclusive, not only in number of players that will actually have these cosmetics but the number of players that ever can. That is why I sincerely hope Intrepid only ever offers these items for one limited time period, one rotation of sale and never offers the same cosmetics again for anyone to purchase and never ever gives them out as some kind of "give away", these paid exclusive cosmetics must remain explicitly exclusive for those special few who will have them forever in game. This is also why these items do cost more, they are being made as essentially "one-offs" for just a few people who choose to purchase them. With lower volume of sales comes higher costs as devs must make this in game asset.

4. It would be very much in my opinion "spitting in the face of" those who purchase these items with the promise of exclusivity to turn around and offer the cosmetics again, just because other people see them and want them too. These are being marketed as exclusive items and that must be respected.

5. Fame and glory. When players old and new to Ashes of Creation see a player in game using these exclusive items, it provides a sense of awe and recognition. When you see someone riding a very rare mount or wearing an armor skin that you've never seen anyone else have on before, it generates a feeling of wonder and admiration. That person who has it will be cool. They'll know it and so will the player who see's them with it. That is what makes the world go round.
  • Options
    bchan wrote: »
    1. The price is fair. People are buying them, they are making money. MMOs are undervalued with artificially low prices, the price of games has not increased with the actual cost of them. There has been discussion of this before, the industry has devalued itself by selling games and goods at low prices for all. If you aren't happy with the price or don't like only seeing concept art and don't buy into promises of eventual in game items, then simply don't buy anything.

2. The price reflects exclusivity. Intrepid is selling the design of exclusive items every month to fit themes and generate excitement (and yes get money, it's a business). In every aspect of life, in basic economics, status and exclusivity drive the sale of limited availability costly goods. From watches, exotic super cars, high end fashion garments, mansions on prime real estate and private luxury jet aircraft. All of these things are something that only a small percent of a population will ever get to have and something many people will strive to achieve, role models to be envied and revered. It sets a social hierarchy of desire to become more then what we are now. It offers a glimmer of hope, an illusion even, that the common person could one day live like a king or queen, we all strive to better ourselves and increase our standing in the world. Hunger to have it too, "I want that", most people understand that living like a king or queen is a privilege not an entitlement. It is the drive behind innovation and entrepreneurship, it is the spark of life.

3. I feel strongly that these monthly cosmetics must remain exclusive, not only in number of players that will actually have these cosmetics but the number of players that ever can. That is why I sincerely hope Intrepid only ever offers these items for one limited time period, one rotation of sale and never offers the same cosmetics again for anyone to purchase and never ever gives them out as some kind of "give away", these paid exclusive cosmetics must remain explicitly exclusive for those special few who will have them forever in game. This is also why these items do cost more, they are being made as essentially "one-offs" for just a few people who choose to purchase them. With lower volume of sales comes higher costs as devs must make this in game asset.

4. It would be very much in my opinion "spitting in the face of" those who purchase these items with the promise of exclusivity to turn around and offer the cosmetics again, just because other people see them and want them too. These are being marketed as exclusive items and that must be respected.

5. Fame and glory. When players old and new to Ashes of Creation see a player in game using these exclusive items, it provides a sense of awe and recognition. When you see someone riding a very rare mount or wearing an armor skin that you've never seen anyone else have on before, it generates a feeling of wonder and admiration. That person who has it will be cool. They'll know it and so will the player who see's them with it. That is what makes the world go round.

As someone who bought quite a few of those monthly cosmetics I have to say the price on most of them is not fair simply put charging 20$ for an armor is too much never mind the rest of those cosmetics which go for more for something as simple as a building or mount. Well that's just my opinion though.
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

As someone who bought quite a few of those monthly cosmetics I have to say the price on most of them is not fair simply put charging 20$ for an armor is too much never mind the rest of those cosmetics which go for more for something as simple as a building or mount. Well that's just my opinion though.

Both points are fair i will argue yes they are a little on the expensive side, but i still buy, why? Cuz i like Exclusives, here we are basically paying for the exclusivity(hopefully) unless regular shop skins are the same price i will be ok with the prices as they are
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options

Both points are fair i will argue yes they are a little on the expensive side, but i still buy, why? Cuz i like Exclusives, here we are basically paying for the exclusivity(hopefully) unless regular shop skins are the same price i will be ok with the prices as they are

Oh yeah I buy them too exclusivity also has a price, just saying that I cant really agree when someone tries to justify this when it clearly is too much c:
  • Options
    sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I will agree that they are on the expensive side for skins. You can’t even use them until you get the appropriate mount or building. I haven’t bought any of them even though I have loved several of the themes. Personally I won’t buy any unless I can see a finished product. (Bad mount animations drive me insane!) Also as others said there is no guarantee they won’t turn them into monthly exclusives or something later. They could argue the definition of “monthly” means they will offer them in a yearly cycle, not just during development. I suppose I’m just being pessimistic. Fool me once...
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought Steven said, explicitly from the very start that they would be on the expensive side precisely so that as few people as possible would have them and they would remain exclusive / different without them needing to be "better / flashier" than the ones in game.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    Santy182 wrote: »
    I thought Steven said, explicitly from the very start that they would be on the expensive side precisely so that as few people as possible would have them and they would remain exclusive / different without them needing to be "better / flashier" than the ones in game.

Pretty much, the price of exclusivity c:
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I think he forgot about that when the Kickstarter ended ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Im torn. As a graphic designer from a business stance, I understand the constant need to have an influx of funds coming in while working on a constantly evolving project - especially when you have a growing team with growing expenses - granted, there are a few managerial things that can be done to mitigate this and make sure the morale of the team remains high.

As a player who invested in the KS and dream of IS, Im more so on the side of "what the actual f*ck?! Your want MORE?!". It feels like a dirty tactic to drain us dry while what remains of hype is still lingering. Especially given the nature of the current state of information, or in-game display of these assets. Not to mention, I have a current state of mis-trust with the studio that hasnt really been remedied.

As far as the price of exclusivity goes, I agree, it should be high...thats what makes the rewards worth the price. And the jabs at it being a sub model with these prices makes me laugh because A LOT of people pay a sub for WoW or FF14 and they have some VERY high prices for mounts and skins! And people buy those all the time. Im no fan-girl of IS, and I definitely like to hold them to accountability but I dont think what they are asking for is too much...IF they do intend plan on keeping their word and having these items be strictly exclusive and NEVER again available in any sort of way.

Nagash wrote: »

I see what you did there! ;)
    4Ts5BFf.gif
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

ahahaha yeah I guess *cough* lifetime sub *cough*. Oh well let's hope the prices drop when the game comes out or else a lot of people will probably criticize intrepid for being too greedy.