Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cheating and anti-cheat software

sylsyl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Greetings!

I recently read a topic about the exploiting of ingame systems and bugs. While there is a concern about those topics, I also have concerns about the use of cheating software like chams, wallhacks et cetera and the combating of those wrongdoings.

Has there been any information given by Intrepid in how they are going to combat cheating and if they are going to use anti-cheat software?

As a second and third question to the community: What is your opinion of the use of anti-cheat software and the data that it may collect? And what punishment should people get for being caught in the act of cheating?
forum_sig2.png
Come take a look at ashesofcreation.wiki!

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would appear that right now Intrepid are using a third-party program called "Easy Anti-Cheat", which is quite a common piece of software used by a lot of different games. Maybe in the future Intrepid will develop their own custom-built anti-cheat software but for now that is what we have.

https://totalwararena.com/en/news/latest-news/cheaters-never-prosper/

Here is an FAQ detailing how it works. Assuming this information is correct I personally have no problems with it. As for punishments, I will leave that up to Intrepid to decide.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the last Apocalypse update there was anti cheat software installed but cant remember its name. I personally think that anti cheat software and monitoring should be as strong as possible without being so drastic that it persecutes innocent players.
  • Options
    It would appear that right now Intrepid are using a third-party program called "Easy Anti-Cheat", which is quite a common piece of software used by a lot of different games. Maybe in the future Intrepid will develop their own custom-built anti-cheat software but for now that is what we have.

https://totalwararena.com/en/news/latest-news/cheaters-never-prosper/

Here is an FAQ detailing how it works. Assuming this information is correct I personally have no problems with it. As for punishments, I will leave that up to Intrepid to decide.

I see. Yes, I found the link to EAC's Ashes page: https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/ashesofcreation/

The problem I have is anti-cheat software reacting to innocent software like Discord overlays et cetera.
    If EAC only scans the game's folder and saved files as they say they do on other games, that is fine. (Since code is usually injected to the game's files)
    If EAC goes the BattlEye route of gaining access to all files, that would be a concern for me.
    forum_sig2.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I can't say for certain but that easy anti cheat might be a gap closer solution.
    There was a stream way back where they talked about exploits and measurements they are taking against it. One point, amongst others, they adressed was in game heatmaps that record every player actions and match it against "normal" behaviour.
    I am pretty sure that goes beyond the capabilities of easy anti cheat, which is crap anyway.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited May 2019
    The punishment should fit the crime and severity of it
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @grisu Yes. An Intrepid anti-cheat solution is an interesting one. We'll see how effective that is.
    forum_sig2.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    EAC is only a part of what they are planning to use.

And the penalty for breaking the rules, cheating, duping, exploiting etc are serious....

...as in permaban.

Per Steven
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    jahlon wrote: »
    EAC is only a part of what they are planning to use.
    And the penalty for breaking the rules, cheating, duping, exploiting etc are serious....
    ...as in permaban.
    Per Steven

Nice
    forum_sig2.png
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    What if you find a way to kill your teammates with something like traps or shoving them off a cliff and continuously do it? Should people be banned for being teamkilling ****?
  • Options
    What if you find a way to kill your teammates with something like traps or shoving them off a cliff and continuously do it? Should people be banned for being teamkilling ****?

In my opinion this is something that the community will handle in their own. Since there won't be any kind of cross-realm functionality, assholes who do stuff like that will quickly be identified and blacklisted by the community.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Well lets just say that the dude will have it comming for him... Also: How will he continueto do that? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

I would bet that he will someday try to join groups and everyone will then know what kind of asshole he is tbh. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

To a point team killing can be a joke, I remember in WoW before the mimiron fight in ulduar there were attackable bomb npcs. A rogue in my guild found that he could use "tricks of the trade" to misdirect aggro of the bombs at other group members and get them killed during a break. It was fun for a while, but at some point it turns into griefing and that's when I think the problem could arise.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

In my opinion this is something that the community will handle in their own. Since there won't be any kind of cross-realm functionality, assholes who do stuff like that will quickly be identified and blacklisted by the community.

This is so wholesome I'm hesitant to point out that this isn't ever the case.

They just band together with the other malcontents and basically form the bad behavior version of Vultron.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    GodbrithilGodbrithil Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    As long as no Hack-Shield is implemented, everything is great. ^^
    unknown.png
  • Options

The community will handle that themselves. Intrepid could take action on repeat offenders, but at the end of the day it is only 'just another use of game mechanics', which I don't think should be bannable. At least not in this context.
    forum_sig2.png
  • Options
    @karthos perhaps. However, in my experience, when push comes to shove the community will develop their own etiquette that will push out many unsavoury types. Back before WoW introduced the automated group finder and cross-realm features, every server had their own unofficial forums that were run by the players. In this way it was easy to keep track of the assholes on a server and stop them from causing a problem.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited July 2019
    I found some software to be innacurate. So chance to appeal should be in there. The one in Runescape looks like it is totally automated. And you can cause a bot alert by pushing the same buttons over and over again. Like in the case of an opener for your class and then never getting out of opener cause mob dies so if you are farming same mob will end up pushing the same buttons in same sequence over and over and there you have it bot alert.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    duebrithil wrote: »
    As long as no Hack-Shield is implemented, everything is great. ^^

Hack Shield should die in a fire.

It didn't work in 2002, why should it working in 2012 or 2022?
    Aq0KG2f.png