Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes Competitors

Comments

• Options
    KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think wow Classic will be the biggest competitor. But since ashes has some big design differences. Like its much bigger focus on pvp and its leaning in the sandpark direction. I believe that will differentiate it from wow so they can coexist.

A few reasons why I think wow classic will likely be a big game and a likely competitor to ashes. Is since it to has many features that has left the mmo space. For instance when ever I go to mmo circles online I often hear them talk about things wow classic has most of. I hear them say things like I miss large scale battles, open world pvp, hard raids, legendary quest chains, not having LFR, real community, not being able to easily solo everything, 40 man raids, complex crafting systems, not having pay to win, not hitting max level in 5 hours, not having race and gender locked classes. And this is only the tip of the ice berg of things people miss. So I'm not sure its all nostalgia or that wow Classic will only last a few months. I think its going to do really well and it will show that people that people have interest in a traditional MMO. In a game where you cant solo everything in a game about playing with other people. Also as @wanderingmist alluded to earlier modern wow players are saying things like "just because something is harder doesn't make it less fun".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5K4a-teWo&t=

Like honestly in any other RPG (Witcher 3,FF7,etc) I cant hit max level in 5 hours and do the dlc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAgCrH76oo
    Like why would you do that. Imagine not playing the Witcher 3 base game and doing hearts and stones right away. But that is just how modern wow is designed. And why level boasts are a thing. Speaking of level boasts another reason they may be bad is that I have heard that people get a level boost and are just overwhelmed by all the new buttons and having no idea what any of them do and promptly quit. I remember watching a stream of sodapoppin playing ff14 he used a level boost and spent two hours just reading stuff to figure out how to play his class.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nothing currently out or coming out this year will be seen as "competition".

Probably the biggest one that comes to mind is Camelot Unchained. It has an established and respected name behind it, they built their own engine so they are bound to have some great features.

I don't see WoW Classic riding the hype long enough to be a serious competitior by the time AoC launches. It will have already been out a year at least, and most MMOs see a significant drop off in players by that point in today's market. Plus, the kinds of players interested in WoW Classic may not have as much cross over with AoC players as one would think. Most people I know will play Classic because there's literally nothing else out to play, and that know at least WoW will be entertaining for a time. But as someone whose played WoW at Vanilla, in my honest opinion, WoW didn't get great until BC.

Crowfall, similar situation. Will probably be out a while by the time AoC comes out, but is a fairly different type of game, with their "seasons" or "leagues". I see it being fairly popular initially, but by 6 months, many players will have moved on.

Pantheon? Honestly don't follow this beyond knowing it might be good because the EverQuest connection. I know it's been in pre-alpha about as long as AoC has. Could be a contender. But they seem to have funding issues.

Chronicles of Elyria may or may not tank, based on the fact they seem to constantly be needing money, again, pointing to funding issues slowing development. Their game is ambitious, and honestly, very niche. It's going to pull many people into RP. I don't see it being serious competition.

Star Citizen, well, it may be competitive on AoC's 10 Anniversary.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    WoW Classic only real competitor as far as I know the rest are killing themsleves because they are greedy.
  • Options
    consultant wrote: »
    WoW Classic only real competitor as far as I know the rest are killing themsleves because they are greedy.

I just don't see WoW Classic living up to the hype (because nothing ever does). This isn't 2004 Blizzard running the show, so no Metzen, no Pardo, no Kaplan and no Chilton. We're getting Blizzard's C team, those not working on Diablo or Overwatch 2.

J Allen Brack took over for Mordheim, and Brack's the guy who famously told players "You think you want Classic Servers, but you really don't", so my faith that Classic will be given the effort and resources it deserves is pretty low.

Not to mention, original WoW is a product of earlier MMOs. Many of the changes made to it have been quality of life changes that players got used to and are ubiquitous to the genre. These are going to be missed by many players.

The hype blinds most people.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @karthos
    I was able to play WoW classic on my brother in laws account and it was exactly what i expected xD
    Played a Human Fury Warrior and it was a ton of fun and nostalgia!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    damokles wrote: »
    @karthos
    I was able to play WoW classic on my brother in laws account and it was exactly what i expected xD

I'll accept you apology for being wrong with in 6 months of the release.

I'll be here.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    karthos wrote: »
    damokles wrote: »
    @karthos

I'll accept you apology for being wrong with in 6 months of the release.

I'll be here.

Why... Why should i say sorry for me telling you that it is actually really fun currently?
    I am shure, that i will stop playing it after i reached level 60 and raided a bit, but it will take me some time until then xD
    I only want some fun for the first few months until we get to FINALLY play APOC again....
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited June 2019
    @wanderingmist WoW classic puts a heavy emphasis on open world interaction? How exactly? It's hard to see this aspect in WoW coming close to a sandbox/AoC in terms of not just open world social interaction but impact on the open world.

I just see them as quite different experiences/games that people will go for based on other factors/preferences.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @ravudha the reason for the open world interaction might be different in Ashes compared to Classic WoW, but the result is the same.

In Classic WoW the game world is dangerous, especially early on when pulling even 2 mobs at a time is going to get you killed. On top of this, quest item drop rates are quite low meaning you have to kill lots more mobs than you do in other games.

These 2 factors encourage players to band together in the open world, because doing so makes the game safer and quicker. Playing Classic WoW solo is a complete nightmare, but playing with others is a great experience.

Ashes should (in theory) create similar open world interactions, probably more through the pvp systems than anything else.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited June 2019
    @wanderingmist This sounds standard - in any MMO grouping helps you kill/farm faster. On top of that AoC will have resource gathering, trading, construction, and logistics. I just don't see 'group to help me kill faster' being a bigger emphasis on designed interaction than multiple PvE and PvP systems in AoC that encourage collaboration through actual dependency.

Unless you mean players pretty much need to group to level most of the time in WoW Classic? which I'm sceptical of...

Btw are WoW Classic mobs harder than Vanilla? I thought they were supposed to be the same, and solo'ing in Vanilla was easy - not fighting multiple mobs at once was just common sense.

• Options
    WoW fanbois ganna fanboi...
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited June 2019
    Well biggest MMO server was Nastolrias (think mispelled) There were so many people on that server I could not for the most part see ground just a hughe mob of people. You can still watch videos of the last days of that private server and I haver never seen a server that was more packedd. But comes out in August my prediction is it will explode.

So biggest wow server was some free to play private server that had to be shut down that is how big it was.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Actually 2 years on, I see less and less new official titles that may be competitors to AoC when it releases, but for self there are a couple of title that will likely divert my attention for a when they come out.

If the next Elder`s Scrolls single title is as great as Skyrim was in its time, then that will take my attention for solid period of time, as will next Dragon Age.

So hope the timing of release corresponds to a waning period lacking rather than needing to compete with the popularity of some alternate genre titles.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Man these comments about WoW Classic aged like fine milk. Also...
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    Chronicles of Elyria. Maybe Atlas. I heard ArcheAge isn't as terrible as broken, so maybe that.

Wew, this aged fucking terribly.

nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chronicles of Elyria. Maybe Atlas. I heard ArcheAge isn't as terrible as broken, so maybe that.

I'll take Games that will never compete with Ashes for $500 Alex.

lol Talents

• Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dude I started reading this thread not knowing it was an old thread and I'm like what the hell are these people talking about lol
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talents wrote: »
    Man these comments about WoW Classic aged like fine milk. Also...

Wew, this aged fucking terribly.

Like fine wine :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Oh Atlas... I remember when everyone was playing that. So glad I decided to save my money on that one.
  • Options
    nilvnilv Member
    All of them? Specially every new MMORPG that comes out will be competition to the AoC. Our time is limited and trend chasing is a thing. There is something extremely appealing to jumping into the fresh experience and playing it until it’s not fresh anymore and you go for the next one. If you really think AoC is going to be the last MMORPG you ever play then that’s just delusional.

But honestly it doesn't look like there will be much competition in the PC space. MMORPGs are going mobile and we only have seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that. Western companies are sleeping on this, while Asians are pushing insane amounts of mobile MMORPGs. So I think in the next 5 years the western developers are going to wake up and they will start pushing mobile MMORPGs too.
  • Options
    Kinda wish thread necroing was against ToS. I saw the Chronicles of Elryia and WoW Classic posts and was like wtf until I saw 2019. Jebaited.
  • Options
    Hellfar wrote: »
    Kinda wish thread necroing was against ToS. I saw the Chronicles of Elryia and WoW Classic posts and was like wtf until I saw 2019. Jebaited.

There is nothing wrong with thread necromancing and I will fight anyone saying its not
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    2019 truly were different times...
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Myth of Empires - early stage looks like it might have potential
  • Options

Wasn't this the scam game, that stopped working on it. But then people wanted to press charges against them, then they didn't stop working on it. But now they are working on some different part of it and it has changed. KiraTV has some videos on it. It dosen't sound like it would be much of a competitor.
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    insomnia wrote: »

Wasn't this the scam game, that stopped working on it. But then people wanted to press charges against them, then they didn't stop working on it. But now they are working on some different part of it and it has changed. KiraTV has some videos on it. It dosen't sound like it would be much of a competitor.

Check when his post was dated. haha
  • Options
    If this game is made the way I've been hearing and does not deviate from it. Then this game won't have any competition. It will be so unique and high quality that no other MMO should be able to compete vs it because it will have more resources put into it than any other MMO in history. It already has more resources put into it than WoW did and that is the second highest by a ridiculous margin. This is based on WoW during Development and not modern WoW as it's unfair to base a game with 7 or more expansions to a base MMO. It will probably be comparable with the first 3 expansions of WoW on release though.

If it were to have any competition it would be games like LoL or Fortnite, but the following will be more niche than those titles.

The game has far more potential than any other MMO ever created. However, right now it is only that. Potential. We'll see when the game releases. I doubt it will have absolutely no flaws at all and I think I can see which ones it's going to have.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Actually each monthly update for New World provides more and more promise that the game may actually amount to something!

This month has some ideas that AoC could pickup on!
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Actually each monthly update for New World provides more and more promise that the game may actually amount to something!

This month has some ideas that AoC could pickup on!

Shame its an amazon game they do not have the best record so far
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think y'all are forgetting about "Swords of Legends Online". I could be wrong but it seems as though it could compete with Ashes.
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited April 2021

The only thing Chronicles of Elyria will be competing for will be the "most-convincing fake project to pass for a real project" in the annuls of Kickstarter's histories.

Watch some videos on the latest happenings and news for CoE, and I don't think you'll still predict it'll be around to compete with ANYTHING.