Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How many MMO fanatics, like myself are disgusted at this 'alpha' drive?!

124»

Comments

• sidarthasidartha Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    In general I don't have an issue with the existence of Apoc *in theory*. It seems like a good, interesting way to test PvP. However, I bought into this project because of it's MMO potential and it seems like all I ever hear about is the development progress of Apoc with very little on the actual MMO. There is so much more to an MMO than the combat.

Everything seems ass backwards. Instead of Apoc existing as a little side project of the MMO the MMO feels like a side project of some weird fantasy BR game. Maybe that's an unfair interpretation but that's the one I been getting and it has made me lose interest in this MMO almost entirely. And this is coming from a BR player who has over 2k hours in PUBG since it was available in EA.

Add in all the cash shoppy MT nonsense and it's a huge turn off for me personally. Honestly, at this point I regret spending money supporting this project. Maybe that regret will be unfounded later but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I heard about AoC a while ago and decided to keep an intrigued eye on it. I decided to check up on how things are developing only to find the focus seems to be on Apocalypse. I'm in a sceptical place because I've seen game companies behave deceptively in the past. Now, I'm not saying Intrepid is doing so, but as an avid MMO player I am disappointed they decided to go the BR route. No MMO in development I've followed in the past needed to use such a mode to test anything. Intrepid have chosen to do things a little differently, that's fine. But I've seen alpha/beta games offer very little in development, although they made sure they had a functioning cash shop...only for the game to crash and burn either before or soon after launch. The signs don't bode well. I don't care about what the defenders want to say. I've seen people defend the most abysmal games, even right up until the game flopped. It means nothing. Integrity from the developer is what matters.

I hope Intrepid prove me and other doubters wrong, but they're getting no money from me until I'm confident they are working on the MMO. You want me as a paying customer then show me what you originally advertised AoC to be.
    "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." —J.R.R. Tolkien
  • LadyZel wrote: »
    I heard about AoC a while ago and decided to keep an intrigued eye on it. I decided to check up on how things are developing only to find the focus seems to be on Apocalypse. I'm in a sceptical place because I've seen game companies behave deceptively in the past. Now, I'm not saying Intrepid is doing so, but as an avid MMO player I am disappointed they decided to go the BR route. No MMO in development I've followed in the past needed to use such a mode to test anything. Intrepid have chosen to do things a little differently, that's fine. But I've seen alpha/beta games offer very little in development, although they made sure they had a functioning cash shop...only for the game to crash and burn either before or soon after launch. The signs don't bode well. I don't care about what the defenders want to say. I've seen people defend the most abysmal games, even right up until the game flopped. It means nothing. Integrity from the developer is what matters.

I hope Intrepid prove me and other doubters wrong, but they're getting no money from me until I'm confident they are working on the MMO. You want me as a paying customer then show me what you originally advertised AoC to be.

That is good and I totally agree with your point of view, you should not spend a single penny on this game unless its what you are looking for. Having said that APOC is for free so you won't be giving them money but you will be helping them test the systems. What's more you get rewarded with a tons of free cosmetics that you can use in the MMO once it comes out. Its a win/win situation for an avid MMO player like you :smile:
  • Those who do not like the Apoc, what ever reason, it is a far from win-win situation. :D:D
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • ferryman wrote: »
    Those who do not like the Apoc, what ever reason, it is a far from win-win situation. :D:D

It seems so and i can't understand why??

Its free, it gives you rewards, it helps the devs make a better game and it not like you are forced to play it if you do not want too.
  • TrePalle wrote: »
    ferryman wrote: »
    Those who do not like the Apoc, what ever reason, it is a far from win-win situation. :D:D

Its free, it gives you rewards, it helps the devs make a better game and it not like you are forced to play it if you do not want too.

Yeah it really seams you do not understand.. In this thread people have pointed several reasons for that. Here is few points to think of:

- Some people do not care about cosmetics.
    - Why to play something you do not like?
    - Some people do not want to support this kind of behaviour from developers side.
    - Some people have lost their faith for IS.
    - Some people have lost their hope getting the MMORPG.
    - Why collect cosmetics for a game, which future feels unsure.
    - Some people do not like BR concept.
    - Some people feels misleaded.
    - Some people are angry.
    - Some people backed for MMO and they got BR.
    - Not everyone believe everything what they have told.

...or what ever reason. It is important to understand people at both sides of Apoc conversation. Some people are totally fine with Apoc and still faithful with the MMO -project and in other extreme are those who hate Apoc and IS because what they have done, and then we have people everywhere between these two extremes. At the end it does not matter who is right, it is all about how people feel.
  • TrePalleTrePalle Member
    edited October 2019
    TrePalle wrote: »

Yeah it really seams you do not understand.. In this thread people have pointed several reasons for that. Here is few points to think of:

- Some people do not care about cosmetics.
    - Why to play something you do not like?
    - Some people do not want to support this kind of behaviour from developers side.
    - Some people have lost their faith for IS.
    - Some people have lost their hope getting the MMORPG.
    - Why collect cosmetics for a game, which future feels unsure.
    - Some people do not like BR concept.
    - Some people feels misleaded.
    - Some people are angry.
    - Some people backed for MMO and they got BR.
    - Not everyone believe everything what they have told.

...or what ever reason. It is important to understand people at both sides of Apoc conversation. Some people are totally fine with Apoc and still faithful with the MMO -project and in other extreme are those who hate Apoc and IS because what they have done, and then we have people everywhere between these two extremes. At the end it does not matter who is right, it is all about how people feel.

Ok I will probably be banned after this post but what the hell. So let me get this straight. Some people are going to worry and complain about this game being a scam until;
    a. the MMO is released (2 years or so) or;
    b. it is announced that the MMO has been cancelled!!! (might be even longer than 2 years).

...and all this based on no concrete evidence but just a feeling. I am sorry to say that there is no gentle way to say it nor a way to sugar coat it. This is called paranoia.

You don't like BR or do not care about cosmetics or just hate the company in general and do not want to help in testing the game? Don't play it.
    You are miss-trustful of IS? Don't buy their product until you are absolutely sure its what you want.
    You already backed the product and you are worrying that it will not be released? I would say don't worry until you have confirmation but if you want to worry just know that worrying is as useful as bucket of sand in the desert in this case.

You are right that it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. In fact its not a question of right or wrong its a question of simplifying things and of sanity.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree that it is ridiculous to call the game a scam. It’s a bad one if it is. You don’t put this much MMO development experience into a team that’s supporting a scam.

That’s not the only concern (or even the main one) about APOC though. It’s not that they are doing a bait and switch, but that the BR may divert focus away from the MMO. Or that despite their best efforts they are failing to get the MMO to work. Neither of those require ill-intent on the part of IS.

Personally, I think the MMO will come out (it better, I paid a crap ton for it) but as I said before I worry about it being delayed.

Hhak63P.png
  • @TrePalle Yeah you really do not seam to understand, and most likely you do not even want to, so why even bother to continue.. peace.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The game does have problems but most can be fixed with more communication
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • jaxsuljaxsul Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Annual login to make sure everyone's still arguing.
    Yup, everyone's still arguing.
    See you next Year! *waves*
    jaxsul wrote: »
    Annual login to make sure everyone's still arguing.
    Yup, everyone's still arguing.
    See you next Year! *waves*

odd post as this thread has been dead for over two weeks
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    *points* Look!!! A train! It's getting ready to leave! Everyone, HURRRRY!
    [img][/img]
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The problems here are not, imo, problens with the game
    ShadowVen wrote: »

I still have so many questions about these new trains that we have just recently found out will be a thing in Ashes... no one seems to be able to answer even basic questions about them!
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    noaani wrote: »

I still have so many questions about these new trains that we have just recently found out will be a thing in Ashes... no one seems to be able to answer even basic questions about them!

Wait asecond... TRAINS?!? DID I MISS SOMETHING?
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

Wait asecond... TRAINS?!? DID I MISS SOMETHING?

Are you kidding me, I missed the train
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At this point I can see IS 'updating' APOC and calling it Alpha 1 and justifying leaving it on Steam as an 'Early Access' because they need more people to test than the number that bought into the Alpha 1 packages.

For me, this has been a slippery slope since they introduced Alpha 0 and made that a glorified raffle.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
    edited October 2019
    Azathoth wrote: »
    At this point I can see IS 'updating' APOC and calling it Alpha 1 and justifying leaving it on Steam as an 'Early Access' because they need more people to test than the number that bought into the Alpha 1 packages.

For me, this has been a slippery slope since they introduced Alpha 0 and made that a glorified raffle.

if they did that they would be named a scam and the game would die
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• KotterKotter Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Damokles wrote: »
    I dont care either way to be honest. I played Mmorpgs for half my life and I think that APOC is good for sorting out: combat animations, server issues, backend problems, frontend problems, skill balancing, weapon animations and of destructible environment etc

this.
    Nagash wrote: »
    Azathoth wrote: »

if they did that they would be named a scam and the game would die

I have to agree. This is about the only thing they could do that would put me off the game for good.

To me, if Intrepid say that the BR is a key part of developing the game, then I'm still fine with that. Being fine with that doesn't mean that I want to play it, and it also doesn't mean that I don't have Green Monster Games with their release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on my mind at times (not the same thing, but still a developer starting up wanting to make an MMO, putting out a non-MMO and not lasting long enough to get to that MMO).

Thing is, if you don't have faith in a developer of an MMO to do what is best for that game - even if you don't see all the reasons - then you're not going to enjoy playing that game at all.
    To me, if Intrepid say that the BR is a key part of developing the game, then I'm still fine with that. Being fine with that doesn't mean that I want to play it, and it also doesn't mean that I don't have Green Monster Games with their release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on my mind at times (not the same thing, but still a developer starting up wanting to make an MMO, putting out a non-MMO and not lasting long enough to get to that MMO).
    The difference is that Kingdoms of Amalur was an awesome game.

Those chakrams were one of the coolest weapons I’ve ever seen in a game.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »

Yeah it was.

But it wasn't an MMORPG.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They should be able to get all the testing they need even with low player numbers to introduce Castle Siege in Dec or Jan. It's definitely a problem if they can't.
    But, it's already a significant problem that Steven can't approve Nodes 3 or even the Divine Nodes article yet.
  • It looks like Apocalypse will be released before we will see A1 of the MMORPG.
    Atama wrote: »

Yeah it was.

But it wasn't an MMORPG.

My point was that APOC is also not an MMORPG but it sucks. If IS pulls a KoA and doesn’t release the MMO then they have nothing but a crappy product, at least KoA was good even if not an MMO.

Hhak63P.png
  • nefelianefelia Member, Intrepid Pack
    terrorform wrote: »
    The system now does not give you but 2 mins to figure out the keys... after 10 mins of waiting, to be ported into a map, try to find a weapon, and get murdered by Battle Royal type players.

This is one complaint I can agree with.
    Spellbreak has a mode for its alpha that allows you to just roam the map, pick up every item, and test out combos without worrying about getting reck and having to stew in frustration until the next match starts. If APOC does not have that feature yet, it should implement it. If it does have that feature, then someone let me know so I can get on that ASAP.

• nefelia wrote: »
    terrorform wrote: »
    The system now does not give you but 2 mins to figure out the keys... after 10 mins of waiting, to be ported into a map, try to find a weapon, and get murdered by Battle Royal type players.

This is one complaint I can agree with.
    Spellbreak has a mode for its alpha that allows you to just roam the map, pick up every item, and test out combos without worrying about getting reck and having to stew in frustration until the next match starts. If APOC does not have that feature yet, it should implement it. If it does have that feature, then someone let me know so I can get on that ASAP.

This is a really good point. If Apoc is mentioned to be purely a testing environment, why it does not offer people enough time to do proper testing and focus mainly to act like a BR game?
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2019
    krojick wrote: »
    I do think they have gone about this the wrong way if this is solely focused on testing the combat. I'm not entirely convinced it is though.

Why would you say that? I think if you consider the base selling points of AoC as a game, Nodes, Caravans, evolving world, to set combat testing in as large a medium as possible makes the most sense. I look at it as the BR testing random pvp encounters, and small scale fights like what you would see around a caravan, plus maybe some data on how towns and cities are fought in/ used terrian wise. CS will test node siege, obviously the castle ones, large party organization, and hopefully a larger player number conflict. And horde mode will let them test the random event changes that will happen in the world as a result of our actions, plus put the early ai through it's paces, looking for pathing and bugs. Personally i feel combat is the make or break of any mmo. If the story sucks, and the world is lackluster, but the combat is super fun, more people will forgive it than when the reverse is true. Preferably we don't have that problem, but combat and the systems attached to it have the strongest effect on player retention and enjoyment in every mmorpg i've ever played (be it pvp or pve)
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Personally i feel combat is the make or break of any mmo. If the story sucks, and the world is lackluster, but the combat is super fun, more people will forgive it than when the reverse is true.
    While not an MMO, Anthem is an online game with fantastic combat gameplay. Yet it is almost universally panned because everything else stinks. It’s not enough on its own for any game to succeed.

Hhak63P.png