Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Fooshyy Retention Rant

2»

Comments

• Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I'm a big believer that something should be fun in its own right, and that if you need to add rewards to get players do to a piece of content, then that content isn't fun and should be removed/changed.

This is half of why I stopped. Other half is the dead game. I don't mind playing brs now and then but I'm not a big br guy. No doubt many of us were playing to unlock things, rather than to actually play. For comparison I spent more time playing the halo online mod ElDewrito despite there being nothing to unlock because I love halo.

Sure I can unlock stuff in the br, but at the same time it quite quickly got to the point I'd rather play something else that does both.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    I'm a big believer that something should be fun in its own right, and that if you need to add rewards to get players do to a piece of content, then that content isn't fun and should be removed/changed.

I mean absolutely! That's a good thing to believe in. But doesn't that content get boring after awhile? APOC was fun when it was new, and we were still experiencing stuff, But we all play our games for our different reasonings afterall.

Some are more real life focused, Thurs not needing much except for fun. Some have no lives and are comfortable playing games without a goal. Meanwhile others are in between, and don't like their time being wasted.

I wish I could go back to just enjoying a game like the olden days

It depends on the content. One of the reasons why I've kept playing LoL for so long is because of the diversity it brings. Every match is different, offering different challenges and experiences. Another thing that draws people in is the achievement of Mastery. You keep playing in order to get better at the game and show your mastery of the game to others. That's why most multiplayer games have ladders or leaderboards. I don't care at all about the rewards I'll get from playing ranked matches in LoL, and yet I'm still working hard to get the highest rank I can by the end of the competitive season.

If you want a game to last a long time it's these intrinsic rewards that matter.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would keep playing if we had 20+ players per match. I'd prefer 50+ or whatever it was a year ago.
    Seems like the easiest thing for them to do, if it's going to be a 12 week cycle, would be to have a new map each month... and I guess new level 50 armor... and reset each month.
    Leaderboards would help. Seems like that should not take a year to implement.
    I mean - if you can't even get a leaderboard up and running after a year, having working Nodes is likely to take forever.
  • Options
    DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative

I mean absolutely! That's a good thing to believe in. But doesn't that content get boring after awhile? APOC was fun when it was new, and we were still experiencing stuff, But we all play our games for our different reasonings afterall.

Some are more real life focused, Thurs not needing much except for fun. Some have no lives and are comfortable playing games without a goal. Meanwhile others are in between, and don't like their time being wasted.

It depends on the content. One of the reasons why I've kept playing LoL for so long is because of the diversity it brings. Every match is different, offering different challenges and experiences. Another thing that draws people in is the achievement of Mastery. You keep playing in order to get better at the game and show your mastery of the game to others. That's why most multiplayer games have ladders or leaderboards. I don't care at all about the rewards I'll get from playing ranked matches in LoL, and yet I'm still working hard to get the highest rank I can by the end of the competitive season.

If you want a game to last a long time it's these intrinsic rewards that matter.

It's been awhile since I've experienced something like LoL. But I do remember what that's like. Even that without the ember rewards would be good. As long as I can show off how much of a nerd I am lolll
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I would keep playing if we had 20+ players per match. I'd prefer 50+ or whatever it was a year ago.
    Seems like the easiest thing for them to do, if it's going to be a 12 week cycle, would be to have a new map each month... and I guess new level 50 armor... and reset each month.
    I mean - if you can't even get a leaderboard up and running after a year, having working Nodes is likely to take forever.

Leaderboards. Are supposedly done,
  • Options

This is half of why I stopped. Other half is the dead game. I don't mind playing brs now and then but I'm not a big br guy. No doubt many of us were playing to unlock things, rather than to actually play. For comparison I spent more time playing the halo online mod ElDewrito despite there being nothing to unlock because I love halo.

Sure I can unlock stuff in the br, but at the same time it quite quickly got to the point I'd rather play something else that does both.

Earlier I already explained what lead for me to quit. I do not repeat it.
    I am not a big BR guy either. If it would be created by someone else independently I would not even download it to try. But I believed that this helps Intrepid to make the MMO better so I give it a try. Actually I enjoyed it. Not that much as I would pay for it, but with a little motivator, (that I will receive some stuff for the MMO,) I stayed.
    This is the point what was mentioned that the content need to be fun. I agree with it, but this is not a standalone game, it is a test platform. Intrepid said many times that they do not want to improve it, just what is really must.(becasue they focust to the MMO) So if I have to live with many bugs for long time, I need an extra motivator to stay. For me this is some cosmetics and ingame currency, but also some major bug correction. If I die many times, because I have huge FPS drop, it frustrating me very much. If I try to escape from an enemy and I stuck in a non visible object I also find it too frustrating.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Leaderboards. Are supposedly done,

just like dwarfs :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Doesn't matter if they are "done" but they aren't in.
    Same for the Divine Nodes article.
    Show; not tell.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Doesn't matter if they are "done" but they aren't in.
    Same for the Divine Nodes article.
    Show; not tell.

indeed. I will believe it when I see it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    i wait in anticipation. uwu
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It's been awhile since I've experienced something like LoL. But I do remember what that's like. Even that without the ember rewards would be good. As long as I can show off how much of a nerd I am lolll

Exactly. The problem with the BR formula is that there is a heavy amount of RNG involved. Weapon drops are randomized and right now there is no kind of matchmaking based on skill level which can be very frustrating for all involved. For new players (those who don't know which weapons are the "OP" ones) they will usually die to the first opponent they face. For the more experienced players, yes it is fun at the start but quickly becomes boring as it's hard to find people to actually challenge you.

Adding in extra rewards for participating isn't going to fix these problems.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    *meh*
    How quickly people die to veterans really depends on how many players are in a match...and how big the map is.

Also, the BR isn’t just about killing people.
    There’s a fairly decent variety of quests to focus on. But, on that front, we need all of the quests to be completable... and not bugged.