Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hybrid Combat System Poll

perseus01perseus01 Member
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
What style do you see yourself playing most?
[Poll]
-Mouse
-AWSD
-Both/Hybrid
[/Poll]

Is there no way to make a poll or am I missing some code?

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that this will be a western game, meaning that we willcall play with mouse and keyboard (mouse and wasd). I personally hate a click to move gamestile.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I think I see myself playing mostly point click because I will be doing a lot of gathering and watching children.
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @perseus01 I think Ashes won't have click to move like some oldskool mmo's so that might be hard to do. To compare just like gw2 where you always have to hold a key to move. Except if you set autowalk on W or a mouse button i suppose you could farm with mouse only XDD
    Signature-member.gif?ex=662c6fb5&is=662b1e35&hm=744ebdac6f48ada39a67db749760a28b2b88b3514a4acd22e07fd49b24821760&
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's probably going to be like the BR.
  • Options
    Well that's a sham!
  • Options
    Soo you like to click things with the mouse cursor instead of turning towards the object\person 🤨 For immersion purposes, third person (actually first person is the most immersive but ignore that for now) action camera is the best one.

To answer your question, in Ashes there will be both traditional MMORPG camera and 'action stance' options so you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Screen_Shot_2019-12-27_at_07.09.11.png

Screen_Shot_2019-12-27_at_07.09.39.png
    signature.png
  • Options
    Ah, well that's what I want. Untying my camera to my reticle. Well then, I'm all good here.
    Thanks, Magic Man. You really are a magician pulling quotes out of your hat, haha.
  • Options
    Well having both tab targeting and skill shots gives the devs the ability to choose how the ability is going to work class can have action and tabe targeting abilities just the devs have to be smart enough to make a good class one example of this is League of Legends some abilites do not miss other are all skill shots. Talking about abilities other than autoattack.
  • Options
    I just hope I can tie in CC'n with skill shotting as a ranger. That would be fun and challenging.
  • Options
    As long as I’m never required to click on enemies in order to cast an ability, then I’ll be fine. Soft locking is completely useable and makes far more sense than any obligate click-to-make-skills-useable system that typically plagues tab systems.
  • Options
    perseus01 wrote: »
    I think I see myself playing mostly point click because I will be doing a lot of gathering and watching children.

Great parenting.
    Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just hope the summons are in-depth as action combat does limit summons
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

Especially if the AI isn't up to snuff.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Especially if the AI isn't up to snuff.

Indeed
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Caeryl wrote: »
    As long as I’m never required to click on enemies in order to cast an ability, then I’ll be fine. Soft locking is completely useable and makes far more sense than any obligate click-to-make-skills-useable system that typically plagues tab systems.
    You never have to click on enemies in a tab system. You use the tab key.

(That’s why it’s called a tab system.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

giphy-6.gif

He clearly means he doesn't want to do anything but just turn towards the target 🤨 using the tab key to select a target is pretty tarded but not gonna get into that.
    signature.png
  • Options
    perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited December 2019
    Magic Man wrote: »

giphy-6.gif

He clearly means he doesn't want to do anything but just turn towards the target 🤨 using the tab key to select a target is pretty tarded but not gonna get into that.

Right, soft targeting your opponent by "looking" at them, which is still reticle based.

...what if...the system changed based on skillset. I mean doesn't it do that now. Like the meteor shower is different, so like maybe the "skill" shots from say a ranger are the same way in a sense of a "volley". So power shots will just be action combat unless ofcourse you are playing "tab" target.

I think I just closed my own topic.
    BTW, doing a great job Intrepid!
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally, I'd like to see a system where tab targeting is based on proximity to the mouse cursor or aiming reticle. If that isn't on the agenda for them, being able to hard target the current soft target, such as clicking on a mouseover target, would be enough.
  • Options

If you want to “aim” in a tab system, you have to click the enemy. Tabbing just cycles you through in an incredibly unreliable way.

If I’m actually aiming, then the game should be smart enough to react to that aiming.
  • Options

If you want to “aim” in a tab system, you have to click the enemy. Tabbing just cycles you through in an incredibly unreliable way.

If I’m actually aiming, then the game should be smart enough to react to that aiming.
    It depends. Sometimes you just hit the tab key to arbitrarily cycle between enemies. Sometimes it automatically targets the closest enemy. Sometimes you have different keys that can target different things; closest, enemy that last hit you, target of your target, etc.

I’ve played tab target games where I never click on enemies. It depends on how it’s designed. Done well, it’s actually less clunky than soft-targeting. (Not that a soft target is bad either, that can work well.)

But the idea that tab target=have to click on enemies is just wrong. Using that as a criticism of the system is basing your argument on misconceptions and ignorance.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

It depends. Sometimes you just hit the tab key to arbitrarily cycle between enemies. Sometimes it automatically targets the closest enemy. Sometimes you have different keys that can target different things; closest, enemy that last hit you, target of your target, etc.

I’ve played tab target games where I never click on enemies. It depends on how it’s designed. Done well, it’s actually less clunky than soft-targeting. (Not that a soft target is bad either, that can work well.)

But the idea that tab target=have to click on enemies is just wrong. Using that as a criticism of the system is basing your argument on misconceptions and ignorance.

No, I understand perfectly how tab systems work, and it’s not ignorance to point out that they’re unintuitive and unresponsive to manual aiming. That’s the primary reason I found FFXIV combat unenjoyable.

If tabbing picks the closest enemy when my reticle is on my desired target slightly farther back and to their left, then tabbing is not going to work and I will have to click on my target, or I waste however long it takes to cycle through the “closest” enemy which may change from second to second and take up time I shouldn’t have to be spending just to get to the right target.

Tab requires you click on enemies for the quickest accurate target selection, except in the case you are fighting only one to three mobs where maybe you’ll end up in the tight spot for a single tab to grab the right target.

Soft targeting allows for quick responsive action on the player’s part, meaning you can design gameplay around a player being able to target and cast without the arbitrary delays and lockouts inherent in a tab system.

Tab will always take more time to complete an identical action than a soft-target system, because you will always have at least one more button to press in the targeting process. That small bit of time can be the difference between a groupmate living or dying.
  • Options
    Tab will always take more time to complete an identical action than a soft-target system, because you will always have at least one more button to press in the targeting process. That small bit of time can be the difference between a groupmate living or dying.
    Factually incorrect. If someone is behind me I can press tab then my attack key faster than you can turn around, target, then press a key/click a button. Stop pretending like there’s some absolute advantage to one system over another.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure I completely get what the OP is asking, but I will be playing with a keyboard & mouse configuration. It was the hybrid option that confused me. Did he mean soft-target?

Action combat with a soft-target is becoming fairly common in MMOs. The only problem with soft-target is it's not very precise. Unless you are fairly close to your target, it might select the player/mob next to your target. DPS players probably will rarely experience this problem and love soft-target. Healers don't like soft-target as much as they don't like seeing their strong heal hitting the nearly full health DPS near a Tank at 30% health. How about, borrowing from what appears to be an upcoming trend, an AI-enhanced soft-target that would take context into its target process would be nice. It could somehow figure out the Tank would be the more likely target of the large heal and soft-lock the Tank instead.

If the imprecise nature of soft-target could be fixed it would be the better system. Till then, Tab-target will need to stay around in some fashion.
  • Options
    Factually incorrect. If someone is behind me I can press tab then my attack key faster than you can turn around, target, then press a key/click a button. Stop pretending like there’s some absolute advantage to one system over another.

You spend .05s to reach for tab, I take .05s to turn my camera and we both press an ability.

Tab is fine if aren’t capable of quick reflexes for some reason, but anyone with quick reflexes will just be hindered by the delays of having to tab to use an ability.
  • Options
    BedDave wrote: »
    I'm not sure I completely get what the OP is asking, but I will be playing with a keyboard & mouse configuration. It was the hybrid option that confused me. Did he mean soft-target?

Action combat with a soft-target is becoming fairly common in MMOs. The only problem with soft-target is it's not very precise. Unless you are fairly close to your target, it might select the player/mob next to your target. DPS players probably will rarely experience this problem and love soft-target. Healers don't like soft-target as much as they don't like seeing their strong heal hitting the nearly full health DPS near a Tank at 30% health. How about, borrowing from what appears to be an upcoming trend, an AI-enhanced soft-target that would take context into its target process would be nice. It could somehow figure out the Tank would be the more likely target of the large heal and soft-lock the Tank instead.

If the imprecise nature of soft-target could be fixed it would be the better system. Till then, Tab-target will need to stay around in some fashion.

Context-based soft target healing already exists in some games. It’s perfectly simply to use, and paired with ground AoEs/HoTs for primary proactive healing, leaving smart heals as reactive burst healing. Directional abilities with conditionals, prioritization systems, group synergy abilities they can use themselves for healing or buffs at their leisure. Tab healing becomes whack a mole where healers are too reactive and not very proactive, watching healthbars instead of the overarching fight.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So basically what you are saying is that you want the game to be smart enough to play for you. You just want to point in a general direction, cast some stuff and the game is supposed to put the heals on your allies, and the hits on your enemies.
    I prefer to learn and play the game myself instead of expecting it to do my playing for me.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited January 2020
    So basically what you are saying is that you want the game to be smart enough to play for you. You just want to point in a general direction, cast some stuff and the game is supposed to put the heals on your allies, and the hits on your enemies.
    I prefer to learn and play the game myself instead of expecting it to do my playing for me.

Lmao, clicking on an enemy and then being guaranteed to never miss is much more of the game playing for you than having actual aim being required to hit something.

Soft target that takes into account context when you have multiple allies in your reticle isn’t the game playing for you. Having your abilities hit the enemy you’re aiming at isn’t the game playing for you. Sure it means you don’t have to fight the game to actually get the hits on your desired target, but claiming asking to have that useless hassle removed is asking to have the game play itself is absolutely laughable

Edit: you can play whack a mole healing all you like, I’d prefer to preempt damage and offer actual group buffs, not be constantly watching health bars just to click and burst heal every other second.
  • Options

So do I, I just don't like it when I get in position aim at the tank and then the rogue gets the heal/cleanse even though the Tank clearly had the retical over him. I'm looking for smarter/better soft targeting. Maybe as Caeryl mentioned, the soft-target systems of current games work better than the ones I have experienced in past games. I definitely don't want the game playing for me, but I don't want it mostly getting it wrong for me past a certain distance either.

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank you for completely agreeing with me. I don't want the game deciding where something goes. Soft targeting is expecting the game to help you play. Hehe, wouldn't that be considered pay to win?
  • Options
    Thank you for completely agreeing with me. I don't want the game deciding where something goes. Soft targeting is expecting the game to help you play. Hehe, wouldn't that be considered pay to win?

So are you just a troll or what? Soft targeting is expecting the game to be smart enough to work off what is most likely intended by the player.

Tab is the epitome of the game holding your hand.