Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ideas for legendary weapons!

Comments

• noaani wrote: »
    I like this idea from an adventuring standpoint - but from a crafter/economy standpoint, I'm somewhat less interested.

I can see why, and that's the reason why I think this "adaptation/evolving/growth" stuff should only be applied to extremely rare items, such as legendary items or drops from raid or high level dungeon bosses
    giphy.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chezshire wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    I like this idea from an adventuring standpoint - but from a crafter/economy standpoint, I'm somewhat less interested.

I can see why, and that's the reason why I think this "adaptation/evolving/growth" stuff should only be applied to extremely rare items, such as legendary items or drops from raid or high level dungeon bosses

I think that it would be okay if they siphoned exp from the wearer. Let them eat 25% of all exp earned by the wearer and then implement upgrade requirements.
    They start at white and need x amount of exp to fill up until you get a quest to upgrade them. You then have to collect specific materials and then bring it together with the equipment to a smith npc to upgrade it to green.
    You repeat that with an ever increasing amount of exp and rarer materials until you reach epic.
    After reaching epic, you dont need to fill it with exp anymore, instead it collects the souls of slain enemies and other epic equipment.
    Lets say:
    -1.000 killed pvp enemies in 1v1 combat
    -1.000 npc elites
    -100 world bosses/raid bosses
    -100 pieces of epic gear
    -extremely rare materials that are rarely found in dangerous zones in the world or from rare world boss spawns

After getting all the requirements the wearer has to speak with npcs from all metropolis types (a scientific smithing grandmaster to combine them all, a religious node archbishop to get his blessing, a merchant guildmaster to get the location to finish the last step, and a martial warlord to recieve information about the raid boss that you will have to kill). After speaking with all of them the wearer and his guild have to travel to a specific location to summon a raid boss. After killing it, they imbue its power into the legendary (the last step can be done with multiple people who are at the same step).
    And done, you have a new legendary!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »

I think that it would be okay if they siphoned exp from the wearer. Let them eat 25% of all exp earned by the wearer and then implement upgrade requirements.
    They start at white and need x amount of exp to fill up until you get a quest to upgrade them. You then have to collect specific materials and then bring it together with the equipment to a smith npc to upgrade it to green.
    You repeat that with an ever increasing amount of exp and rarer materials until you reach epic.
    After reaching epic, you dont need to fill it with exp anymore, instead it collects the souls of slain enemies and other epic equipment.
    Lets say:
    -1.000 npc elites
    -100 pieces of epic gear
    -extremely rare materials that are rarely found in dangerous zones in the world or from rare world boss spawns

After getting all the requirements the wearer has to speak with npcs from all metropolis types (a scientific smithing grandmaster to combine them all, a religious node archbishop to get his blessing, a merchant guildmaster to get the location to finish the last step, and a martial warlord to recieve information about the raid boss that you will have to kill). After speaking with all of them the wearer and his guild have to travel to a specific location to summon a raid boss. After killing it, they imbue its power into the legendary (the last step can be done with multiple people who are at the same step).

Actually this is...A REALLY COOL IDEA!!!
    yeah I like it a lot, but we have to clarify that this would apply only to this specific weapon, the other legendary items should have their own distinctive mechanics and not all of them should grow or evolve, some are just an actual OP/extremely rare boss drop or something that should be crafted from a rare world boss material I mean we don't have to get rid of the oldies mechanics just incorporate new ones so the game is just not everything we have seen before
    OMG now its coming to my mind two more legendaries a bow and a pair of daggers
    Maybe I could write them and put their lore here!!!!
    giphy.gif
    Chezshire wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

Lets say:
    -1.000 npc elites
    -100 pieces of epic gear

Actually this is...A REALLY COOL IDEA!!!
    yeah I like it a lot, but we have to clarify that this would apply only to this specific weapon, the other legendary items should have their own distinctive mechanics and not all of them should grow or evolve, some are just an actual OP/extremely rare boss drop or something that should be crafted from a rare world boss material I mean we don't have to get rid of the oldies mechanics just incorporate new ones so the game is just not everything we have seen before
    OMG now its coming to my mind two more legendaries a bow and a pair of daggers
    Maybe I could write them and put their lore here!!!!

Thats what this thread is all about bro!
    Cant wait to see what you thought of. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Well this is a continuation of last post on this thread about pulsating weapons but there are other things that could pulsate like death nights eyes or pallies eye slits. Matter they could pulls at little faster at certain times and then just get really bright and stay on at other times. Could be a holy or unholy shield for tanking.

Legendary or one step down for legendary shields are rare and usually with no special abilities. So would like to see really good shield for tanks.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love to have a legendary grimoire that allows you to use basic spells for all classes even if you are not that class. e.g a summoner casting fireball
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »
    I would love to have a legendary grimoire that allows you to use basic spells for all classes even if you are not that class. e.g a summoner casting fireball

You mean basic spells for all magic based classes? (Bards, Clerics, Summoners, Mages)
    Because it would make no sense, that a book would let you use rogue abilities ;) .
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Nagash wrote: »

Just to be clear you are talking about a giant spell book book correct? Think that would be a great idea. And since there are not gear restrictions well maybe there could be pally version of it. One of the abilities it could have is to make next spell uninteruptable.

• @Nagash I guess your "grimoire of many spells" will have custom CDs applied to the spells you use. Or does using one of the many spells you have, put a general CD on all of them ? I like the idea, because it would provide ways to do unexpected clutch plays.

I got another idea guys, do you think it would be interesting for a shield to have an unique skill like the already existing wall that you build as a TANK, but instead we're using the shield making sort of ethereal screen not a physical one for like 30s. It would provide additional resistances from all types of ranged attacks. The "shield wall" can be moved but with a decent CD, moving it would cost mana. Also its duration can be increased at the cost of a constant consumption from the mana pool of the owner.
    Ishka wrote: »
    @Nagash I guess your "grimoire of many spells" will have custom CDs applied to the spells you use. Or does using one of the many spells you have, put a general CD on all of them ? I like the idea, because it would provide ways to do unexpected clutch plays.

I got another idea guys, do you think it would be interesting for a shield to have an unique skill like the already existing wall that you build as a TANK, but instead we're using the shield making sort of ethereal screen not a physical one for like 30s. It would provide additional resistances from all types of ranged attacks. The "shield wall" can be moved but with a decent CD, moving it would cost mana. Also its duration can be increased at the cost of a constant consumption from the mana pool of the owner.

Name: Aegis
    Effect: Erect a phantom shield infront of the player, that reduces incomming projectile and magical damage by 50%. The shield always remains jnfront of the player, even if the player moves or changes direction.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Looking at your idea, does it works like some kind of stance with restrictions you maintain ? Like you can just use the combo system and no skills. Or it's just a "buff" that takes effect only in front of your character ?
    Looking at your idea, does it works like some kind of stance with restrictions you maintain ? Like you can just use the combo system and no skills. Or it's just a "buff" that takes effect only in front of your character ?

Do you know Braum from League of Legends? It would work like his E, just with the ability to rotate with you.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Alright, your exemple makes it perfeclty understandable, thanks ^^ I like your variation, it would be pretty cool to protect yourself and your allies when they stand behind you. Compared to what I had in mind in term of size, I guess your Aegis should be closer to the height of a human. It would require a good coordination with the allies to properly place themselves behind the tank.
    @Nagash I guess your "grimoire of many spells" will have custom CDs applied to the spells you use. Or does using one of the many spells you have, put a general CD on all of them ? I like the idea, because it would provide ways to do unexpected clutch plays.

they would have individual cooldowns but the cooldowns are longer than the normal spell as you have not mastered it like the over class
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • consultantconsultant Member
    edited February 2020
    From what i know Weapons naturally get designed in parts that being the case you could have a weapon divided into two or three parts. Like wooden staffed add head or spear tip to one end and small pike at the other end or two spear heads at both ends to make double tipped spear. Sure design team could come up with really nice tips or heads but if you had to get all three parts to get the legendary effect that would make for good Quest line.

Be cool if we could get a legendary bow string. Does not matter how cool a bow is in MMOs bow string is always white. so maybe a bow string that had a nice blue, gold or green after glow yes kind of neon lights in need for speed. Real simple in fact do not know why Companies do not do that more often. Plus you could also have the and unstrung bow that yo have to search to go with it plus an Archer hand guard (little shield like arm gaurd). And there you have it three parts to legendary bow.

Could Easily be done with axe single blade to double blade to pike on handle and pike that sticks out on top.
    Matter of fact if you have blades look like dragons wings with pike on top it could double as a cross bow or single shot cross bow. Plus handle could get longer and shorter dependind on range needed.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    consultant wrote: »
    From what i know Weapons naturally get designed in parts that being the case you could have a weapon divided into two or three parts. Like wooden staffed add head or spear tip to one end and small pike at the other end or two spear heads at both ends to make double tipped spear. Sure design team could come up with really nice tips or heads but if you had to get all three parts to get the legendary effect that would make for good Quest line.

Be cool if we could get a legendary bow string. Does not matter how cool a bow is in MMOs bow string is always white. so maybe a bow string that had a nice blue, gold or green after glow yes kind of neon lights in need for speed. Real simple in fact do not know why Companies do not do that more often. Plus you could also have the and unstrung bow that yo have to search to go with it plus an Archer hand guard (little shield like arm gaurd). And there you have it three parts to legendary bow.

Could Easily be done with axe single blade to double blade to pike on handle and pike that sticks out on top.
    Matter of fact if you have blades look like dragons wings with pike on top it could double as a cross bow or single shot cross bow. Plus handle could get longer and shorter dependind on range needed.

Do you have a reference for this information anywhere, cause this is fairly new to me? :D
    edited February 2020
    BraneGames wrote: »

Do you have a reference for this information anywhere, cause this is fairly new to me? :D

Well I tried to find article were artist describes 3d rendering but doubt that i will find it. But if you are interested in digital art and weapons check out a websited called devienat art.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/e1c0f424-dc32-4a8e-b7ca-ad647f2be245/d5zcx3i-40effeba-d6c1-4454-9047-d36febb8d796.jpg/v1/fill/w_1024,h_768,q_75,strp/heretic_battle_axe__perspective_view_by_samouel_d5zcx3i-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzY4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZTFjMGY0MjQtZGMzMi00YThlLWI3Y2EtYWQ2NDdmMmJlMjQ1XC9kNXpjeDNpLTQwZWZmZWJhLWQ2YzEtNDQ1NC05MDQ3LWQzNmZlYmI4ZDc5Ni5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.oxVLuNPr8QKIE59LGg3MYDGmGic6UTp6mulNZ_DAK6E

Pretty long url but check out other works of Samouel here is another one

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/36ed2e46-7779-47b0-ae7e-f49680aae258/d5obk24-00de4bc4-56da-48b2-a1f9-e9c791e205e6.jpg/v1/fill/w_1279,h_625,q_70,strp/speed_model___warhammer_by_metonymic_d5obk24-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzgyIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMzZlZDJlNDYtNzc3OS00N2IwLWFlN2UtZjQ5NjgwYWFlMjU4XC9kNW9iazI0LTAwZGU0YmM0LTU2ZGEtNDhiMi1hMWY5LWU5Yzc5MWUyMDVlNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTYwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.vy_cDoOfP6a4oz-xVYRYMIA5kQrTo7oe-LUd3-qKl8E

This images are actually for sale super cheap too. And already 3d rendered. Pretty standard for axes or hammers to make handle first then half the head or blade the mirror it and there you have it cool new weapon. Plus there are actual videos out there on how to render weapons.

So Should be extremely easy to put these weapons in game.
    BraneGames wrote: »

Well I tried to find article were artist describes 3d rendering but doubt that i will find it. But if you are interested in digital art and weapons check out a websited called devienat art.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/e1c0f424-dc32-4a8e-b7ca-ad647f2be245/d5zcx3i-40effeba-d6c1-4454-9047-d36febb8d796.jpg/v1/fill/w_1024,h_768,q_75,strp/heretic_battle_axe__perspective_view_by_samouel_d5zcx3i-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzY4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZTFjMGY0MjQtZGMzMi00YThlLWI3Y2EtYWQ2NDdmMmJlMjQ1XC9kNXpjeDNpLTQwZWZmZWJhLWQ2YzEtNDQ1NC05MDQ3LWQzNmZlYmI4ZDc5Ni5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.oxVLuNPr8QKIE59LGg3MYDGmGic6UTp6mulNZ_DAK6E

Pretty long url but check out other works of Samouel here is another one

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/36ed2e46-7779-47b0-ae7e-f49680aae258/d5obk24-00de4bc4-56da-48b2-a1f9-e9c791e205e6.jpg/v1/fill/w_1279,h_625,q_70,strp/speed_model___warhammer_by_metonymic_d5obk24-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzgyIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMzZlZDJlNDYtNzc3OS00N2IwLWFlN2UtZjQ5NjgwYWFlMjU4XC9kNW9iazI0LTAwZGU0YmM0LTU2ZGEtNDhiMi1hMWY5LWU5Yzc5MWUyMDVlNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTYwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.vy_cDoOfP6a4oz-xVYRYMIA5kQrTo7oe-LUd3-qKl8E

This images are actually for sale super cheap too. And already 3d rendered. Pretty standard for axes or hammers to make handle first then half the head or blade the mirror it and there you have it cool new weapon. Plus there are actual videos out there on how to render weapons.

So Should be extremely easy to put these weapons in game.

The thing is, that Ashes wont work that way...
    We dont know how weapon crafting will work at all, if it will require you to create different parts to then combine them into a weapon (like gw2) or if you will just need the ingredients (like wow).
    Another thing would be, that not all weapons are symmetrical.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • SarevokSarevok Member
    edited February 2020
    I would definitely like to see not only Legendary weapons and armor in game that require a long lore driven but difficult quest that has the ability to actually fail but also Legendary crafting outcomes which have a low percentage to proc during crafting top tier items that require ultra rare reagents to make.

The legendary weapons could be something specific that starts from a rare drop on extremely difficult content, the player that wins the item then has to complete every difficult step of the quest and if a certain step(s) fail then the item is destroyed. Also, the item that begins the quest would have a reward outcome for whatever weapon the player wants at the end. Example: Thunderfurry but the player can choose to make a wand or Potion-Launcher version. This way we don't have Legendary items only built for certain archetypes.

For crafting legendaries I think players that reach the top of that difficult climb in their profession should have a chance to proc the quality of an item to be Legendary in which this pertains to the the allotted stats an item is allowed. Not only do the stats of the item, based on the quality of reagents used, the Crafter's skill level and a little RNG tossed in has the ability to push the bounds of that BiS item just a little farther. Once the legendary proc succeeds the crafter's name is added to the item. Example, if I craft a breastplate using the best ingots, specific jewels with specific targetted stats and it procs I craft, Sarevok's Unholy Breastplate of Suffering! Maybe my intended item was to be slightly less powerful but due to a low <5% chance to proc based on my crafting skill it moves the bar on possible stats up by ~5-7% more. Toss in a glow, aura or some other special effect that makes the player stand out from others.
  • Well thing is it is already working that way in Ashes of creation do you remember the horse with scales on its neck that jinx was working on during a live strieam. Jinx would go from scale on horse and scale in rendering program individually. So do you think all the scales were created at ounce or one or two were created then put on the horses neck. Jinx did have individual scale drawn out so it works that way. Not really getting the point of disagreeing with standard 3 modeling. techniques other than to say Ashes does not do it that but video says otherwise so...

Really do not know how any one could say it does not work that. That way unless you are talking about concept art. But tell you what will do some more research on it. There are a ton of videos out there on this topic.

And besides even if Ashes does not do it that way well the point is to have questlines drops were you have to collect the different parts of the weapon not so much How Intrepid Studios Renders there 3d elements. So how They render art in Ashes of creation while mention not really relevent to the topic. In fact took take that statement out and would not change the meaning of it. Plus I did say from what I know so not really proclaiming some fact.
    edited February 2020
    this is how they do it https://youtu.be/kUDcE2u3qwI Dev diary weapon design. See how weapons are put together.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2020
    Well thing is it is already working that way in Ashes of creation
    You are talking about how the 3D models are created, @Damokles is talking about how players craft the weapons.

• VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How about a flail that marks people when you taunt them increasing the damage they take as long as they are taunted, but the more people you apply it to the higher some debuff stacks on you. Either a increasing dot, or maybe a increase damage against you. Add in the affect only activates in a smaller area around you for balance. Name it Tyrant's Embrace :)
    edited February 2020
    Ventharien wrote: »
    How about a flail that marks people when you taunt them increasing the damage they take as long as they are taunted, but the more people you apply it to the higher some debuff stacks on you. Either a increasing dot, or maybe a increase damage against you. Add in the affect only activates in a smaller area around you for balance. Name it Tyrant's Embrace :)

Name: The Tyrants Fist (1handed Hammer, because flails are sadly not a thing i believe )

Effect: Mark enemies that user taunts with "Tyrannic Mockery", decreasing their armour and additionally increasing their damage taken. User recieves a stacking "Tyrannic Villain" debuff depending on enemies afflicted with "Tyrannic Mockery". Each stack decreases movement speed by 25%, recieved healing by 10% and drains 1% of the users max hp every 5 sec per stack for 30sec (maximum of 4 stacks).
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Well I was talking about an idea for legendary weapons not crafting legendary weapons. Although same concept could apply for some crafted legenary weapons if we are allowed to do that Steven said in the past we were allowed to craft one step down from legendary weapons which is still pretty good in my opinion.
  • I've always been partial to the idea that legendary items should be unique; in the sense that they are the only one of "each" on a particular server/game.

Though these then begs the question of stagnation and power creep for the individual holding the item. We don't want the player holding onto the legendary to then stop playing and that item is then lost to the whole server, particularly if it's like I stated above a wholly unique item. We also don't want it to fall off in the later stages of the game since it's a "legendary" item.

My suggestion to the first issue, stagnation, is either to side step the problem by making then non-unique and extremely hard to acquire through raids/crafting/story line. This would still give them their weight of being legendary even if it's a bit watered down by their duplicity.

Or you could make it so the item (unique) is highly drop-able in a PvP sense (this idea is take from a novel). The item is also impossible to store (no banks/bags/ect...). It's also giving your location away like a notification of a boss monster on the server (though with some delay like 30min/60min) so people can track where it is at any given time so they can have a chance at it. Ect... Of course these parameters can be altered based on the gameplay (maybe not have it a risk during guild wars/node wars ect...).

My suggestion to the second issue, power creep, is to make the item a growth item (as suggested to the above). This way the developers can always have the next "growth" of the item staggered with patches (to make sure it's not broken op or under powered).

Another Idea is to make it have wholly unique passive/actives that sit ontop of your traditional weapon, sort of like a skin for weapons. You have that 1H maces that does the legendary wack-a-mole passive, but it can be applied to any weapon that you own so that you don't lose out due to power creep.

These are just some random ideas I had on the topic, hope you found it interesting.
    Guildhart-Sig.png
  • For stagnation I thought a blood thirst could be fun.
    Like 100 point of blood that decreases over 2 week , you fill it by using it , once at 0 the item go back where you got it and give a chance for some one else to got it.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    (1handed Hammer, because flails are sadly not a thing i believe )
    Till I see it staring me in the face I will have hope hahaha
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The Hands of Time - A pair of one-handed swords. When both are acquired the player gains the ability to slow the rate of server ticks for everyone except himself. B) But that time is stolen, and the Keeper of Time will have his dues! :o

So like, time ghosts or something haunt him, idk.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
    leonerdo wrote: »
    The Hands of Time - A pair of one-handed swords. When both are acquired the player gains the ability to slow the rate of server ticks for everyone except himself. B) But that time is stolen, and the Keeper of Time will have his dues! :o

So like, time ghosts or something haunt him, idk.

So prince of Persia and the dahaka ^^

I loved Warrior Within
    nJ0vUSm.gif