Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to Overcome the Learning Curve

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dayuhan wrote: »
    tugowar wrote: »
    To Wandering Mist's comment, why not just make someone PvP immune for the first 10 hours of their account?

what if someone creates an account, but then has work or school?

Make it the first 10 hours of online activity then.

that would work
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Idk about you guys but I will be saving up vacation days for when this goes live and will put a solid set of hours into it then.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    However, I think what new players really need is not so much a free pass but a way to safely practice and learn how to use their character's skills. The placement of target dummies, at player starting locations, for weapons training, and NPC provided tasks, to learn the rudimentary steps necessary to improve trade skills, would be adequate for this purpose. This allows the new player time to make the necessary adjustments either in their game settings, or learning curve, to be effective with their entry-level weapons and skills.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am not sure if a tutorial has been developed yet but I am sure they will provide one. I myself would love it if their are target dummies in game.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dayuhan wrote: »
    tugowar wrote: »
    To Wandering Mist's comment, why not just make someone PvP immune for the first 10 hours of their account?

what if someone creates an account, but then has work or school?

Make it the first 10 hours of online activity then.

The issue with this is that it means that for $15, people are able to spend 10 hours transporting materials as they see fit, with no potential for attack.

Any kind of PvP immunity is easily exploited.
  • Options
    Gank the new players. This will help them feel included in group activities on the server, and familiarize them with the guild/grouping systems and their importance. Keep ganking until they figure it out. You're helping, good job. You're a pillar of the community.
  • Options
    AxarashiAxarashi Member
    edited October 2022
    Sorry to react to a 2-year-old forum post, but a nice addition to the game for new players could be special quests which need to be completed by a team consisting of an experienced player and a new player.

These quest(s) reward both players very useful items (like potions or such) on the condition that they complete the quest(s) as a team. Either player can ask in the world chat to team up, or there can be a type of "matchmaking" mechanism for which players can sign up at the quest related NPC. Once a "match" is found (experienced player + new player), both will be asked through a pop-up window whether they want to teleport to a "starting location" (this is so that players can leave the quest related NPC to engage in other quests or matters while waiting for a match). If "no" is selected (could be because a player is busy and/or has changed their mind), they will simply cancel participating in the quest until they apply at the quest related NPC again for matchmaking.

Going offline while waiting for a match should automatically result in cancelling the "matchmaking".