Arenas like WoW?

Casualm3Casualm3 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I watched the interview Steven had with Asmongold and he talked about balancing classes around group content which I agree with but I just wanted to bring up that something that I enjoyed about WoW are the Arenas in the game like the 3v3 smaller scale competitive gameplay. I was wondering if there will be anything like arenas with some rating system

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Yes there are going to be

1v1
    3v3
    5v5

and 20 person FFA areans

For more information: https://www.ashes101.com/pvp#arenas
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Hope arenas wont be spammable like where you can do arenas for the whole day.

It would be better to AoC have scheduled times when arenas open.
    For example arena opens at 8pm and lasts until 2am server time during x days.
  • Jahlon wrote: »

1v1
    3v3
    5v5

and 20 person FFA areans

You have made me extremely moist.

Though I must say that it’s slightly disappointing that there is currently no intention for gear being awarded for accomplishment in the arena. With the vast amount of pvp related content, I am surprised by the lack of gear progression available. Steven has emphasized “something for everyone”, yet is not providing a means for hardcore pvpers to keep up with gear progression via pvp.

If there is to be an arena ladder, why would there not be a reward system which allows players to gear themselves without having to engage in PvE? Especially those who accomplish high seasonal ladder rankings. Personally I would be ok with this, if perhaps there were at least a stellar cosmetic awarded for superior achievement.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Jahlon wrote: »

1v1
    3v3
    5v5

and 20 person FFA areans

Though I must say that it’s slightly disappointing that there is currently no intention for gear being awarded for accomplishment in the arena. With the vast amount of pvp related content, I am surprised by the lack of gear progression available. Steven has emphasized “something for everyone”, yet is not providing a means for hardcore pvpers to keep up with gear progression via pvp.

If there is to be an arena ladder, why would there not be a reward system which allows players to gear themselves without having to engage in PvE? Especially those who accomplish high seasonal ladder rankings. Personally I would be ok with this, if perhaps there were at least a stellar cosmetic awarded for superior achievement.

Why would there not be a reward system?

Becuse it is so easily abused. I make my 3 alt accounts and queue against myself at 0300 in the morning and end up just killing my alts over and over.

or I have my guildmates queue up so I can kill them and then when I'm fully geared, I queue up for them.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

1v1
    3v3
    5v5

and 20 person FFA areans

Agree if there is no reward you won't draw many in...would be like a hard raid that drops no loot...
  • 1v1's very nice. I love 1v1s. I hope there will be a leaderboard.
    98744.gif
    7x Top 3 Star Wars The Old Republic.
    Rank one - Fearless, Ferocious, Fierce, Demonic, Sinister and Notorious Gladiator.
  • HeyItsSnoozeHeyItsSnooze Member
    edited July 2020
    Bestworld wrote: »
    1v1's very nice. I love 1v1s. I hope there will be a leaderboard.

If there is I’ll be looking for you! 1v1 arena in Blade and Soul was one of my favorite pvp experiences ever, and I dumped damn near 1000 hours into it. If the arena system is well polished and rewarding I will very likely not do much else lol.

Aardvark wrote: »

Agree if there is no reward you won't draw many in...would be like a hard raid that drops no loot...

My thought exactly. Why include it if you’re not going to incentivize it? Arenas should be the pinnacle of competitive pvp, a system in which the very best at their class get to be noticed and graced with accolades for their accomplishment.

Becuse it is so easily abused. I make my 3 alt accounts and queue against myself at 0300 in the morning and end up just killing my alts over and over.

or I have my guildmates queue up so I can kill them and then when I'm fully geared, I queue up for them.

All systems will be abused, the struggle is finding a balance which dampens the benefit of abuse. I can think of an easy way off the top of my head already: if you beat the same person more than x times within t amount of time then you get diminishing returns on ladder points. Boom. Done.

In theory I agree with you, there will be people who attempt to cheese the system. But in practice you’re forgetting how a ladder system works. By adding a ranking system and queuing people against similar ranked players you completely avoid this scenario. Your friends will be losing ladder ranking, you will be gaining ranking, there will then come a time where your friend or your alt can’t queue against you, and now you’re forced to fight against similar skill opponents, who will now shove you back to the bottom of the ladder where you belong.
  • Do we know if special effects are going to be a thing here as well for the top arena champions, for example a glow like in Lineage 2? That sure as hell is impactfull when you see a person like that. Perhaps it can be a very prestigious thing for PvP-ers like the flying mounts for guild masters, mayors and so on.
  • LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter

My thought exactly. Why include it if you’re not going to incentivize it? Arenas should be the pinnacle of competitive pvp, a system in which the very best at their class get to be noticed and graced with accolades for their accomplishment.

ranked ladder has no need for rewards outside of titles and cosmetics to show off that you hit X or Y grade/tier.
    if you need incentives to play a ladder game then stay off ladder since the point of a ladder is to compete with intention of climbing and being the best, not to get loot.
    whats the point of a ladder, when everyone just players ladder for loot/hour rather than to compete.
    GW2 is in this exact state. you do NOT want it. i promise you.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
    edited July 2020
    Lafi wrote: »

ranked ladder has no need for rewards outside of titles and cosmetics to show off that you hit X or Y grade/tier.
    if you need incentives to play a ladder game then stay off ladder since the point of a ladder is to compete with intention of climbing and being the best, not to get loot.
    whats the point of a ladder, when everyone just players ladder for loot/hour rather than to compete.

though i say that, off the back of an interview the last few days there are rewards for arena etc in the Seasons thing... i forgot who's stream it was, summit or asmongold. lemme see if i can find it and it might clear things up a bit.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/PCTbppzbJGw?t=843 perhaps this helps?
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Lafi wrote: »

I disagree. There will be people who play the game entirely for PvP. If there is no loot incentive to grinding the ladder, then those players will be forced to PvE in order to obtain gear to keep up with the gear curve. It dampens the "something for everyone" world that they are trying to build if they disallow the acquisition of gear through one of the games most attractive features. Loot/hour is nonexistent when you are talking about seasonal rewards, especially when seasons are set to be 6 months long.

Steven has made it clear that gear will matter in this game. Legendary crafting is equivalent to the best raid gear, so why not include a PvP gear progression path that is just as challenging.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We don't want PvP Armour. We really don't. I could accept rewards for Arenas but i do not want a separate progression path between PvE and PvP - I want to keep the PvX concept for as long as we can.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Lafi wrote: »

I disagree. There will be people who play the game entirely for PvP. If there is no loot incentive to grinding the ladder, then those players will be forced to PvE in order to obtain gear to keep up with the gear curve. It dampens the "something for everyone" world that they are trying to build if they disallow the acquisition of gear through one of the games most attractive features. Loot/hour is nonexistent when you are talking about seasonal rewards, especially when seasons are set to be 6 months long.

Steven has made it clear that gear will matter in this game. Legendary crafting is equivalent to the best raid gear, so why not include a PvP gear progression path that is just as challenging.

because then ladder will not be a 'for the honour of X rank' it will be a 'for loot kekw'
    drop loot from ladder but allow loot in unranked versions of the same gametype however, i'd 100% agree with.
    however i personally cannot back ladder becoming a gathering of players that have no interested in competitiveness and just want to grind enough games to get loot!
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    I disagree. There will be people who play the game entirely for PvP.

Intrepid have said that this game is not really suitable for people that want to either only PvE or only PvP.

All players will need to do both in order to have any form of success in the game, and all players should know this before signing up.

There is no item progression in PvP because all items need to be crafted.

Before an item can be crafted, the materials need to be transported, opening things up to PvP.

While the arena in Ashes will exist, it is there as more of a sideline in Ashes as opposed to other games where it is the key (or even only) PvP content.

If you want to PvP in Ashes, you can go out and look for caravans, you can have your guild or node declare war on another guild or node, you can go hunting players and gain corruption, you can go hunting players that have gained cprruption, or you can participate in a siege (there will likely be a siege every few days on any given server).

Each of these will be more rewarding that arena PvP - this is because Intrepid want to encourage players to participate in activities that actually affect the game world, as opposed to activities that have no impact at all on anything other than what goes on behind that closed door.
  • Nice i hope we will get gud reward for the dawi of karaz ankor.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nice i hope we will get gud reward for the dawi of karaz ankor.

hey got any runes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • edited July 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nice i hope we will get gud reward for the dawi of karaz ankor.

hey got any runes

Oh by grimnir we will 'ave yur head abomination and release the souls of the dawi ya fu**ing skeleton!
    The runes are mine do ya hear me ya monster MINE!
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »

Intrepid have said that this game is not really suitable for people that want to either only PvE or only PvP.

All players will need to do both in order to have any form of success in the game, and all players should know this before signing up.

Before an item can be crafted, the materials need to be transported, opening things up to PvP.

While the arena in Ashes will exist, it is there as more of a sideline in Ashes as opposed to other games where it is the key (or even only) PvP content.

If you want to PvP in Ashes, you can go out and look for caravans, you can have your guild or node declare war on another guild or node, you can go hunting players and gain corruption, you can go hunting players that have gained cprruption, or you can participate in a siege (there will likely be a siege every few days on any given server).

Each of these will be more rewarding that arena PvP - this is because Intrepid want to encourage players to participate in activities that actually affect the game world, as opposed to activities that have no impact at all on anything other than what goes on behind that closed door.

Still confused by the pvp...so if I am understanding right if you kill people who don't want to pvp and are trying to quest you get a % chance they will drop stuff you can loot...but if you go to the arena where people are wanting to fight you can't get any chance of any reward? Seems backwards to get rewarded for griefing and not rewarded for beating other highly skilled fighters.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020

Still confused by the pvp...so if I am understanding right if you kill people who don't want to pvp and are trying to quest you get a % chance they will drop stuff you can loot...but if you go to the arena where people are wanting to fight you can't get any chance of any reward? Seems backwards to get rewarded for griefing and not rewarded for beating other highly skilled fighters.

You are supposed to fight over resources in the world. They are limited for a reason, to encourage conflict.

I wouldn't call open pvp griefing as the point of the drop is to give you an incentive to do it. Yes, we have a corruption system so you aren't attacking everyone but the point of the system is to attach a risk that you can balance against the reward of the drops and see if it's worth it.

My understanding is that there will be some reward for arena that they haven't announced yet but you probably won't be gearing yourself through it like wow. It's supposed to be a fun activity but the primary way to gearing is from pve.
    edited July 2020

You are supposed to fight over resources in the world. They are limited for a reason, to encourage conflict.

I wouldn't call open pvp griefing as the point of the drop is to give you an incentive to do it. Yes, we have a corruption system so you aren't attacking everyone but the point of the system is to attach a risk that you can balance against the reward of the drops and see if it's worth it.

I can probably get behind that idea but should the same not be true for arena? You are risking 100s of hrs of your time for the reward of ...yep nothing you would better off farming level 1 mobs as a max level character
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020

I can probably get behind that idea but should the same not be true for arena? You are risking 100s of hrs of your time for the reward of ...yep nothing you would better off farming level 1 mobs as a max level character

I think the bottom line is they are making an MMO, not an arena game. They want you to participate in the world and it's economy, not jump around in a town while waiting for a queue.

It also might not be 100% true that you can't profit from arena. If there are rewards in the form of items, then you may be able to sell what you get from arena and use that profit to get geared up. If you played AA, they had things like this. You couldn't gear up directly from the arena but there were unique rewards tied to arena that people could sell.
  • Sorry, but this is news to me. There's going to be WoW-style arenas that we queue up for and get teleported to? I thought that was NOT the path the game wanted to go down, that's incredibly concerning to me.

I was hoping we would have to physically travel to the arena, and it would not be instanced at least, or something.

I think the bottom line is they are making an MMO, not an arena game. They want you to participate in the world and it's economy, not jump around in a town while waiting for a queue.
    This is it, exactly.

If they add any rewards to the arena, it will be titles and little else.

They want an arena there for people that enjoy arenas, and since they need to develop one for the military node leadership contest, they are basically making it something people can do more often if they enjoy it.

If the enjoyment you get from doing an arena is not reward enough, then do something else instead.
  • MjunkMjunk Member

WoW has successfully had gear obtainable through PvP arenas for many years while eliminating the win trading issues you think would happen. There is an intelligent team working on this game that would be able to do the same.

It would be surprising and disheartening if AoC's devs have the same lazy and shallow opinion as you regarding the matter.
    Mjunk wrote: »
    WoW has successfully had gear obtainable through PvP arenas for many years while eliminating the win trading issues you think would happen.
    No they haven't.
  • MjunkMjunk Member
    No they haven't.

Perhaps "eliminating" is an overstatement. They have vastly diminished the occurrence of win-trading however; through monitoring, reports, and bans.

Every game will have cheaters, exploiters, botters, etc., and some will unfortunately slip through the cracks. But, a majority will be caught and most players thinking about ignoring the rules will be deterred from doing so when they witness the consequences.

So I would agree with you about them not 100% ridding the game of cheaters (because that's nearly impossible in any aspect), but WoW has proven that gear can be awarded through instanced PvP without it being game-breaking. And I believe AoC can do the same.
    No they haven't.

Perhaps "eliminating" is an overstatement. They have vastly diminished the occurrence of win-trading however; through monitoring, reports, and bans.
    Slightly reduced would be able the most accurate term.

• MjunkMjunk Member
    No they haven't.

Slightly reduced would be able the most accurate term.

No it wouldn't.
  • Mjunk wrote: »

WoW has successfully had gear obtainable through PvP arenas for many years while eliminating the win trading issues you think would happen. There is an intelligent team working on this game that would be able to do the same.

It would be surprising and disheartening if AoC's devs have the same lazy and shallow opinion as you regarding the matter.

WoW is trash. Let's not emulate it.
  • AsuraAsura Member
    I think you get your gear from PvE, but get PvP enchantments for your gear from Arenas, if I understood and remember correctly