Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying Mounts should be a thing that people who have animal husbandry can make/breed

I think "normal" flying mounts should be a thing that people who have animal husbandry can still make/breed. I understand that you want big epic dragon flying mounts be an exclusive thing, that only a select few people can get, but i dont understand why us the 99%, cant/breed get just a small "normal" flying animal mount, that can be bred from the "normal" animals from across the world, while not allowing "animal husbandmen?" to breed dragons or what not. This way you can still keep the exclusivity of the big legendary dragon mounts for the few, while still be able to make "normal" animal flying mounts for the rest of us. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It isn't the mounts themselves they want to be rare, it is the advantage that being able to fly gives these people that they want to be rare.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    Husbandry masters will be able to make gliding mounts, but we absolutely do not need flying mounts to be common in any way
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    It isn't the mounts themselves they want to be rare, it is the advantage that being able to fly gives these people that they want to be rare.

They can make normal flying mounts be the same speed and health of normal ground mounts and whatever, while the big epic dragon mounts are faster and stronger than them though.
  • Options
    TL;DR ... No

Because If everyone had a flying mount that they can breed then why even have land mass in the MMO at all? Just make it an airbourn MMO in the sky.

The flying mount is meant to be a perk of being a mayor/king - hence an achievement reward for making in to that point, not something that everyone is to utilize. Flying for me basically spits in the face of the environment developers that handcrafted that entire world.

Plus, they want traveling to take time, be slow, strategic and your position on the map to matter. If you have a flying mount that kinda ruins their ideas for the game.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Husbandry masters will be able to make gliding mounts, but we absolutely do not need flying mounts to be common in any way

Well, that is certainly your opinion.
  • Options
    DabbzyDabbzy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flying makes the world too small. I would personally be okay with them not even being on the legendary monster drop table and having them ONLY be from the 5 castles and metropolises.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    TL;DR ... No

Because If everyone had a flying mount that they can breed then why even have land mass in the MMO at all? Just make it an airbourn MMO in the sky.

The flying mount is meant to be a perk of being a mayor/king - hence an achievement reward for making in to that point, not something that everyone is to utilize. Flying for me basically spits in the face of the environment developers that handcrafted that entire world.

Plus, they want traveling to take time, be slow, strategic and your position on the map to matter. If you have a flying mount that kinda ruins their ideas for the game.

In this case flying mounts shouldn't even exist at all, since all those mayors and kings would be "missing out" on the handcrafted world, that the devs have made.

That being said, do you honestly think that elections wont be rigged in some way, that people wont somehow be able to buy their way into that position, through actual money or some backroom shady business like that? Do these people really "deserve" their reward?
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    Giving everyone flying mounts totally defeats the purpose of there being any sort of risk vs reward in carrying materials into the open world, especially the caravan system too. Too many flying players could mean that PvP interactions are hindered aswell, if you've ever compared Retail WoW to Classic WoW then you'll know what I'm talking about.

If they gave everyone flying mounts they may aswell go as far as adding fast travel and flight paths across every node.
  • Options
    Namil wrote: »
    Giving everyone flying mounts totally defeats the purpose of there being any sort of risk vs reward in carrying materials into the open world, especially the caravan system too. Too many flying players could mean that PvP interactions are hindered aswell, if you've ever compared Retail WoW to Classic WoW then you'll know what I'm talking about.

If they gave everyone flying mounts they may aswell go as far as adding fast travel and flight paths across every node.

"Giving everyone flying mounts totally defeats the purpose of there being any sort of risk vs reward in carrying materials into the open world, especially the caravan system too. "

Flying mounts can be targetable as well as any other mount, and can be killed thereby forcing the player to dismount, therefore the risk is still present.

"Too many flying players could mean that PvP interactions are hindered aswell, if you've ever compared Retail WoW to Classic WoW then you'll know what I'm talking about."

As someone who plays both, please clarify what you actually mean by this.

• Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

And it lines up with the opinions of the devs, for obvious reasons
  • Options

"for obvious reasons"

Which are....???
  • Options

"And it lines up with the opinions of the devs"

And i need you to provide me with the quote were the devs exactly said this.
  • Options
    TL;DR ... No

In this case flying mounts shouldn't even exist at all, since all those mayors and kings would be "missing out" on the handcrafted world, that the devs have made.

That being said, do you honestly think that elections wont be rigged in some way, that people wont somehow be able to buy their way into that position, through actual money or some backroom shady business like that? Do these people really "deserve" their reward?

As i said, the flying mount is supposed to be a reward for an achievement, not a common way of transportation. Steven and Jeff have already talked about even these super special mounts having a limited time of flight and then they go on cooldown. They don't want flying to be a common thing, they want it to be something special and rare. If you want everyone to have flying everywhere you have WoW, but i think we can all agree the game has become worse since they added that to it.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member

Random PvP interactions in the world rarely happen in retail WoW, they've added measures which make this less likely recently but up until then everyone would be flying rather than running around in the open world and completely avoid eachother. It's a fact and it shows, I shouldn't have to explain that if you play both or have followed the game for many expansions.
    Flying mounts can be targetable as well as any other mount, and can be killed thereby forcing the player to dismount, therefore the risk is still present.

You realise these players could just fly through the path of least resistance, avoid all populated or high risk zones and get exactly where they need to be? and fast too, even if you limit speed to be equal to ground mounts you're still avoiding venturing over the terrain by flying over everything. What's stopping players from just flying so high up that they're just unseen by most of the player-base?

Just because the mount could potentially be killed doesn't mean it doesn't defeat the purpose of the Caravan system entirely and severely reduce the risk of going into the open world. I'd rather not have bird fights 300 metres above the ground.

• Options
    DabbzyDabbzy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This is far more appealing than adding more flying into the game.
  • Options
    TL;DR ... No

As i said, the flying mount is supposed to be a reward for an achievement, not a common way of transportation. Steven and Jeff have already talked about even these super special mounts having a limited time of flight and then they go on cooldown. They don't want flying to be a common thing, they want it to be something special and rare. If you want everyone to have flying everywhere you have WoW, but i think we can all agree the game has become worse since they added that to it.

"They don't want flying to be a common thing, they want it to be something special and rare. If you want everyone to have flying everywhere you have WoW, but i think we can all agree the game has become worse since they added that to it."

Well, i can not certainly use YOUR interpretation of what YOU think the devs think or feel, i need their actual words. That being said flying mounts were added back into wow in its 2nd expansion pack The Burning Crusade, which was actually was one of the best if not the best expansions for that game, and flying mounts were a significant feature/addition of that expansion that made it unique. What we can agree on is that WoW has had a some bumps in the road, and has gone downhill to an extent over the course of its lifetime, but I certainly believe (as in my own opinion) that flying mounts were definitely NOT one of causes for that.

Ratings for WoW TBC from different raters shows excellent scores:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_The_Burning_Crusade#Reception

• Options
    Dabbzy wrote: »

This is far more appealing than adding more flying into the game.

I dont mind either, for me, its either fair, or it shouldnt be in at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sorry, 100% will not happen.

Flying invalidates so much content, just look at WoW as a perfect example of how badly it damaged the game in an irreversible way.

Keeping it to a few people per server, and temporary is epic and awesome.
  • Options
    TL;DR ... No

"They don't want flying to be a common thing, they want it to be something special and rare. If you want everyone to have flying everywhere you have WoW, but i think we can all agree the game has become worse since they added that to it."

Well, i can not certainly use YOUR interpretation of what YOU think the devs think or feel, i need their actual words. That being said flying mounts were added back into wow in its 2nd expansion pack The Burning Crusade, which was actually was one of the best if not the best expansions for that game, and flying mounts were a significant feature/addition of that expansion that made it unique. What we can agree on is that WoW has had a some bumps in the road, and has gone downhill to an extent over the course of its lifetime, but I certainly believe (as in my own opinion) that flying mounts were definitely NOT one of causes for that.

If you don't want to use my words and my interpretation of what what they said, then watch the past streams. I'm not going to do your research for you. Mass flying goes against what they want the game to be and feel like.
    If you don't like that, i guess you are gonna have to live with that because mass flying ain't gonna happen in a game where it literally goes against every aspect of said game.
  • Options

They can make normal flying mounts be the same speed and health of normal ground mounts and whatever, while the big epic dragon mounts are faster and stronger than them though.
    Even if you're flying slower, you're still flying. Again, this is the part that gives the advantage.

Here's the issue with this.

In that wikipedia article, of all the reviews cited, only three are still readily available online. Of those three, only one even mentions flying mounts, and that mention is only to do with the fact that they exist. It doesn't go in to whether they are good or not.

Due to the limited number of sources cited, this would have been a poor thing to reference if you were trying to say that TBC was a good expansion - in an attempt to say one small part of TBC was good, it is essentially irrelevant.
  • Options
    Namil wrote: »

Random PvP interactions in the world rarely happen in retail WoW, they've added measures which make this less likely recently but up until then everyone would be flying rather than running around in the open world and completely avoid eachother. It's a fact and it shows, I shouldn't have to explain that if you play both or have followed the game for many expansions.

You realise these players could just fly through the path of least resistance, avoid all populated or high risk zones and get exactly where they need to be? and fast too, even if you limit speed to be equal to ground mounts you're still avoiding venturing over the terrain by flying over everything. What's stopping players from just flying so high up that they're just unseen by most of the player-base?

Just because the mount could potentially be killed doesn't mean it doesn't defeat the purpose of the Caravan system entirely and severely reduce the risk of going into the open world. I'd rather not have bird fights 300 metres above the ground.

"Random PvP interactions in the world rarely happen in retail WoW, they've added measures which make this less likely recently but up until then everyone would be flying rather than running around in the open world and completely avoid eachother. It's a fact and it shows, I shouldn't have to explain that if you play both or have followed the game for many expansions."

This literally has nothing to do with flying mounts, people were still raiding cities and doing world pvp even after TBC (hello, uh Wintergrasp, Tol Barad????). The reason PvP action in the game has become severely lessened, is ever since Legion the game has become more casual and PvE/leveling/raiding/and question in general are being pushed forcefully, while PvP has been completely gutted and is a shadow of itself former self, if anything like it at all and thereby PvP as a WHOLE is affected.

Alot of WoWs playerbase nowadays are PvEers/questers/raiders, because alot of the hardcore PvPers/ PvE/PvPer population ( like myself) stopped playing seriously after legion completely ruined PvP (go read the forums to see what im talking about). Another thing is heirlooms also ruined PvP, because your normal player who is leveling his first main isnt completely outfitted with heirlooms like everyones alt is nowaydays, is going to join a bg with his dungeon green and blues that he grinded for hours to get, only to get rekt by some dudes alt whose main just bought all the heirlooms for. Its completely demoralizing and just a waste of time. There is a reason why twinks dont exist anymore. Actually, i dont think YOU have played WoW in any serious capacity, if you are actually telling me that out of all the bad things that have hampered PvP over the years, flying mounts are to blame... -_-

"You realise these players could just fly through the path of least resistance, avoid all populated or high risk zones and get exactly where they need to be? and fast too, even if you limit speed to be equal to ground mounts you're still avoiding venturing over the terrain by flying over everything. What's stopping players from just flying so high up that they're just unseen by most of the player-base?"

Simply by adding an invisible wall ceiling, even WoW has this, make it so that it doesn't spare the player from being out of a LONG ranged attacks range.

"Just because the mount could potentially be killed doesn't mean it doesn't defeat the purpose of the Caravan system entirely and severely reduce the risk of going into the open world. I'd rather not have bird fights 300 metres above the ground."

How does this defeat the caravan system, please explain more in depth instead of making such sweeping general statements.

• Options
    This is an example of non-constructive feedback, and I don't mean any disrespect or even to single you out or anything. I totally respect your opinion on wanting flying in an MMO, but the developers have been pretty clear on what kind of game they want to make.

We're all just searching for the MMO of our dreams, these days... Lost in the vast oceans of addiction, swallowed by currents of lies and waves of disappointment, only to be churned up and spat out upon the shores of yet another 'promise' of hope, that inevitably leads us back into the darkness of the waters.

Ahem.

I think you should give it a chance and see just how much fun you can have in their world without flying. If you check out the recent and older interviews, and some of the wiki .. You might even come to the same conclusion as us that no-flying is way better!

If not, and it's something that's very important to you, this unfortunately is probably not the game for you, but I hope that's not the case.
  • Options

Even if you're flying slower, you're still flying. Again, this is the part that gives the advantage.

Here's the issue with this.

In that wikipedia article, of all the reviews cited, only three are still readily available online. Of those three, only one even mentions flying mounts, and that mention is only to do with the fact that they exist. It doesn't go in to whether they are good or not.

Due to the limited number of sources cited, this would have been a poor thing to reference if you were trying to say that TBC was a good expansion - in an attempt to say one small part of TBC was good, it is essentially irrelevant.

Flying mounts were literally a UNIQUE FEATURE of TBC, go watch the literal TRAILER.
  • Options
    "Generally flying is not something that we're going to be doing in this game and there's a lot of reasons for that: Some of it is economic, some of it is ... you create this really great looking world and we don't want you flying over all the time."Jeffrey Bard

"At any given point in time you're gonna see anywhere from 10 to maybe at max I would say around 20 based off of the legendary world boss timers. Probably 20 people who have flying abilities."Steven Sharif

These are some quotes that may help you understand the direction of this game and the creators vision.

The good news is, if you ever unlock a flying mount you will keep the skin and be able to use it as a non-flying mount (probably), at least, that's what I recall them saying in a video one time. Maybe.
  • Options
    This is an example of non-constructive feedback, and I don't mean any disrespect or even to single you out or anything. I totally respect your opinion on wanting flying in an MMO, but the developers have been pretty clear on what kind of game they want to make.

We're all just searching for the MMO of our dreams, these days... Lost in the vast oceans of addiction, swallowed by currents of lies and waves of disappointment, only to be churned up and spat out upon the shores of yet another 'promise' of hope, that inevitably leads us back into the darkness of the waters.

Ahem.

I think you should give it a chance and see just how much fun you can have in their world without flying. If you check out the recent and older interviews, and some of the wiki .. You might even come to the same conclusion as us that no-flying is way better!

If not, and it's something that's very important to you, this unfortunately is probably not the game for you, but I hope that's not the case.

Lmao what was the point of that quote, it literally is irrelevant the the topic at hand...

"I think you should give it a chance and see just how much fun you can have in their world without flying. If you check out the recent and older interviews, and some of the wiki .. You might even come to the same conclusion as us that no-flying is way better!"

Im totally cool with no one flying, and i mean NO. ONE. Except, its not going to be like that now is it.

On everything else i've heard about this game, i actually do like, this is my one gripe i have about it (and it is a pretty significant feature lets be honest here), i dont think im going to pass up a game on which i like 90% of things about it, and not the remaining 10%. I've compromised on far less, trust me.

• Options

Flying mounts were literally a UNIQUE FEATURE of TBC, go watch the literal TRAILER.
    I didn't say they weren't.

I said that no one in the article you referenced talked about them.

If you want to support your position that flying mounts are good, then support that with other people saying they are good, not with people saying the thing in which they are a small feature was good.

FYI, almost no one thinks flying mounts in WoW were good. You are very much an outlier with that position.
  • Options

Ahem.

Lmao what was the point of that quote, it literally is irrelevant the the topic at hand...

"I think you should give it a chance and see just how much fun you can have in their world without flying. If you check out the recent and older interviews, and some of the wiki .. You might even come to the same conclusion as us that no-flying is way better!"

Im totally cool with no one flying, and i mean NO. ONE. Except, its not going to be like that now is it.

On everything else i've heard about this game, i actually do like, this is my one gripe i have about it (and it is a pretty significant feature lets be honest here), i dont think im going to pass up a game on which i like 90% of things about it, and not the remaining 10%. I've compromised on far less, trust me.

It wasn't a quote. I've been in an abusive, long-term relationship with the MMO genre. I believe it is directly relevant to the topic at hand.
  • Options

I didn't say they weren't.

I said that no one in the article you referenced talked about them.

If you want to support your position that flying mounts are good, then support that with other people saying they are good, not with people saying the thing in which they are a small feature was good.

FYI, almost no one thinks flying mounts in WoW were good. You are very much an outlier with that position.

Oh trust me, im totally aware of the community you come from, its the classic community, you people hate anything after classic. Trust me, you people ARENT the majority, you are a niche community. I dont know experience you had playing TBC, i remember back then when flying mounts came out, there were a HUGE deal. I have never personally encountered any retail player ever saying they hate flying mounts.
  • Options
    It's true. Flying mounts are one of WoW's biggest mistakes.
    The developers themselves have acknowledged this mistake and try constantly and desperately to correct it by limiting flying with path-finder and totally locking it in certain high-level areas.

It's not really something that can be undone once it's done. There are endless articles on MMO websites about why and how exactly it is detrimental to the health and design of WoW.

But the entire discussion is pretty pointless, because we already know the stance of the developers and their reasons. They promised us the opposite of your suggestion and that makes it a pretty contentious sort of suggestion to make on the forum of the game that has promised not to do the thing you want them to do. Sorry!