Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying Mounts should be a thing that people who have animal husbandry can make/breed

Comments

• Options
    Vend432Vend432 Member
    edited July 2020
    Namil wrote: »
    WHAT THE HELL DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH FLYING MOUNTS????!!!!!!

Are you asking yourself that before you write down your points? I think you should be.

OH SO SNAPPY, YOU GOT ME SO GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! -_-

Honestly lmao at this point, are you going to even arguing against my point, or are you just here to insult me/call me ad hominems?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Neurath wrote: »
    I like the limitation of the flying mount system. I appreciate we can get Legendary Mounts which could fly. It would be nice to be a Mayor or King, but, in normal circumstances I'd love to be a Bounty Hunter just hunting bounties on a Legendary Flying Mount. I understand they won't be permanent and I'm fine with that.

The rush I'd get if I got a legendary flying mount would be so awesome I can't really describe it.

Except for us nobodies with no outside fanbase, we will never be voted into positions of power to be able to get said mounts and only big streamers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers will, who will use their influence to constantly remain in power and never "dirty peasants" have a go at it.

kind of like a political system. huh who would have thought
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Vend432Vend432 Member
    edited July 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    I like the limitation of the flying mount system. I appreciate we can get Legendary Mounts which could fly. It would be nice to be a Mayor or King, but, in normal circumstances I'd love to be a Bounty Hunter just hunting bounties on a Legendary Flying Mount. I understand they won't be permanent and I'm fine with that.

The rush I'd get if I got a legendary flying mount would be so awesome I can't really describe it.

Except for us nobodies with no outside fanbase, we will never be voted into positions of power to be able to get said mounts and only big streamers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers will, who will use their influence to constantly remain in power and never "dirty peasants" have a go at it.

Lmao so then this player progression system which is completely guild/social driven is completely messed up and unfair. Why should i ever join a guild, and fight my best "for my faction", when in reality its really only one person that truly benefits at the end of it all?!!

• Options

Lmao so then this player progression system which is completely guild/social driven is completely messed up and unfair. Why should i ever join a guild, and fight my best "for my faction", when in reality its really only one person that truly benefits at the end of it all?!!

If that's the way game is then yes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Are you asking yourself that before you write down your points? I think you should be.

Honestly lmao at this point, are you going to even arguing against my point, or are you just here to insult me/call me ad hominems?

You don't call people ad hominems, ad hominem is a logical fallacy, and not one that was used against you in that quoted text.
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    edited July 2020

Are you serious? When did I insult you or attack you with ad-hominems? Stop making stuff up, that behaviour is disgusting seriously.

I called you delusional because you insulted the integrity of other people's perspectives other than your own and are totally unwilling to see the perspective from every single other person on this thread.

Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    yakoyakdiddyyakoyakdiddy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally, I think there shouldn't be any flying mounts in the game. In terms of super rare/ legendary things that only a relatively small amount of people will have? Sure, I'm down with that. And I'm sure whatever super-rare item Intrepid places, there will be those who say that it should be available to all.
    My only gripe is with flying per se, especially if the whole point is to limit aspects like fast travel, and cut out things that make the world smaller.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited July 2020

I believe there are four different types of nodes and one of them is democratic where you vote for the mayor that you desire (the Scientific Node). I have outlined the four different nodes below (taken from the AoC wiki).

1. Scientific Node - Scientific node governments are elected democratically.
    2. Divine Node - Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.
    3. Economic Node - Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.
    4. Military Node - Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.

So, there are other ways to become mayor of nodes other than a popularity contest... But to come into the game thinking that your chances of being mayor of a node is unrealistic. Flying mounts are an extreme luxury and would break the game if a high number of people are able to acquire them, especially in a PvPx game like this.

"Why should i ever join a guild, and fight my best "for my faction", when in reality its really only one person that truly benefits at the end of it all?!!"

Because you are playing for the benefit of your guild/community and you should desire to do your best even if you are unable to achieve number 1 status.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options

In what way is it messed up or unfair?

Not only one person benefits. The leader gets the flying mount, because they are the leader and it's a status symbol. If you want the flying mount, you can try to become a leader instead.
  • Options

Maybe you should try becoming that "one person" then, it's not impossible.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In older games, when PvP Sieges beckoned, People could make their names by stepping up to sort out confusion or reverse defeats. I'm hopeful in Ashes the same would be possible. If you're in a siege with 249 others and you step up to the plate and reverse a siege misfortune, your reputation will spread, do it a second time and a third and you get the picture. You could win votes in such a manner. Or you could just get good at PvP and fight for a Military Node. Many different types of avenues (Well 4 avenues) dependent on which Node you choose.

You could always wait until the last building is built and run for Mayor in a Metropolis and vow to remove all taxes...just a thought.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Absolutely not...

Everyone should not be able to have everything. You want one of those rare mounts? Work for it. Put your time into the mechanics which allow you to get them. I am glad this game is being designed in a way where everyone will not achieve everything.

Flying mounts are supposed to be VERY rare and exclusive. People who get them (kings, queens, mayors etc.) should feel proud and excited when they get to use these rare mounts and experience this unique feature available in the game. If the husbandry profession allows a large population to have any form of flying mounts then there goes the uniqueness. Doesn't even matter if they are "smaller flying mounts". Once flying mounts become more common, it completely changes the game and the way players can get around.

I am planning on putting a lot of time and effort into the husbandry profession and hoping to create some fantastic looking mounts. However, I would be disappointed if I was able to create flying mounts. I think it's enough that if a person is high enough level in the husbandry profession that they can "raise" the very rare flying mount eggs which will drop rarely from epic world bosses. Worth noting that these mounts expire.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Oh trust me, im totally aware of the community you come from, its the classic community, you people hate anything after classic. Trust me, you people ARENT the majority, you are a niche community. I dont know experience you had playing TBC, i remember back then when flying mounts came out, there were a HUGE deal. I have never personally encountered any retail player ever saying they hate flying mounts.

You couldn't know this, but the fact that you thought Noanni was a WoW player of any type had me cracking up so hard. Also to correct you, Both my WoW play group and I all agree flying had massive negative consequences to the game. Been playing retail since the tail end of vanilla to BFA. It's not an uncommon opinion, and just because people use the flying mount doesn't mean they aren't aware of what the game became because of them.
  • Options

On this one note, it's pretty clear you have an incomplete idea of the election systems as they currently stand. Only one will function by democratic vote. And if you've ever seen a Streamer play an MMO, they seldom are guildleaders, and i doubt most of them would be effective mayors. They run communities, and content create. That takes their time, and is their passion. Mayor will require time, important decisions, and might not even be that fun, responsibility for choice often becomes more trouble than it's worth.

And to your OP, 20 ish players will have the royal mounts. Out of a possible 50k server. of 8-10k concurrent. Seeing a royal mount land in front of you is going to be an awesome moment. This 0.002 percent of the active population having a more efficient flying mount than you (everyone can get gliders after all) will absolutely not affect your gameplay in the least, other than a vague feeling of "someone somewhere has something i don't have!" Besides that not only the 10 kings/mayors will have flying mounts. Go grind if it's that important to you.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ventharien wrote: »

On this one note, it's pretty clear you have an incomplete idea of the election systems as they currently stand. Only one will function by democratic vote. And if you've ever seen a Streamer play an MMO, they seldom are guildleaders, and i doubt most of them would be effective mayors. They run communities, and content create. That takes their time, and is their passion. Mayor will require time, important decisions, and might not even be that fun, responsibility for choice often becomes more trouble than it's worth.

And to your OP, 20 ish players will have the royal mounts. Out of a possible 50k server. of 8-10k concurrent. Seeing a royal mount land in front of you is going to be an awesome moment. This 0.002 percent of the active population having a more efficient flying mount than you (everyone can get gliders after all) will absolutely not affect your gameplay in the least, other than a vague feeling of "someone somewhere has something i don't have!" Besides that not only the 10 kings/mayors will have flying mounts. Go grind if it's that important to you.

It doesn't make him wrong about the fact that 99.9% of people will never ever have access to a flying mount.
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »
    It doesn't make him wrong about the fact that 99.9% of people will never ever have access to a flying mount.

Well we don't know the drops on that egg so we don't know the exact numbers, but even going with those numbers, so what? Not flying doesn't detract from their gameplay. 99.9% percent of people aren't in tier one well known, famous guilds. That doesn't mean they should feel slighted or irritated.
  • Options

Well we don't know the drops on that egg so we don't know the exact numbers, but even going with those numbers, so what? Not flying doesn't detract from their gameplay. 99.9% percent of people aren't in tier one well known, famous guilds. That doesn't mean they should feel slighted or irritated.

But they showed us flying mounts...now we want one...
  • Options

Then you better work for it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I mean @Nagash is probably just going to have a rolling ball of bones and rotting flesh to get around. Do you see him complaining? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2020

if I wanted to go into politics to get elected I would in real life, a free for all will also be who has the most fans on their side defending them, biggest donation will also be mass guild leaders who demanded donations so they could get it. They sound like differnt things but really they are all just popularity contests and not player skill related
  • Options

if I wanted to go into politics to get elected I would in real life, a free for all will also be who has the most fans on their side defending them, biggest donation will also be mass guild leaders who demanded donations so they could get it. They sound like differnt things but really they are all just popularity contests and not player skill related

And? there are more ways to be a mayor of a node than elections such as the military node. If you are not going to give your all to be the best then you don't get the best gear.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

that isn't true, have you read the wiki? It clearly states that divine nodes are service related, and military nodes are fighting. No amount of people can make you do infinite quests or be the best at PVP. A flying mount is great but you wont be going around saying "I wish I had a flying mount" all of the time.
  • Options

And? there are more ways to be a mayor of a node than elections such as the military node. If you are not going to give your all to be the best then you don't get the best gear.

If you read I already covered free for all...its just who has the most other people helping them be the last person standing. The guild with the most people in the free for all will almost always win as when they only turn on others there is not anything free for all about it. It's just another popularity test.
  • Options
    Really? i think it's very different. They're definitely going to have a leg up if they pursue it. That is, if their community manages to all be citizens of that node. Which would be quite a feat. Just because someone has a big following doesn't mean they're necessarily good at making gold. Or even that they have a high concentration of followers that are. Plus, this is a new game. people aren't sitting on millions of gold in some bank account. They're going to need it.
  • Options

If you read I already covered free for all...its just who has the most other people helping them be the last person standing. The guild with the most people in the free for all will almost always win as when they only turn on others there is not anything free for all about it. It's just another popularity test.

and the divine node? presumably you can do more quests if you have a guild?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Next time look up the info

Node elections occur on a monthly basis.[13][14]

Only citizens of a node may participate in its elections.[10]
    Only node citizens may be elected mayor.[5]
    Only one citizenship may be declared per account, per server.[5][6]
    A king or queen can also become a mayor.[5]
    Node governments and mayors are chosen through different methods according to the node's type.[15][8]

Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.[16][15]
    Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.[16][15]
    Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.[16][17][18]
    An idea currently under consideration is to have players build out a champion that they can then fight in the arena, rather then using their regular characters. These champions can be equipped with gear and skills via quests, along with materials and gold to make the champion stronger.[19]
    The reason for the champion idea is because the game isn't balanced for 1v1 PvP. Utilizing champions makes arena combat more of a level playing ground.[19]
    Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.[20]
    Scientific node governments are elected democratically.[16][15]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mayors#Node_elections
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Again, while this is a valid concern, we don't know how that free for all will be organized, or if there will qualifiers or something to that effect. And just because the guild has a lot of players, doesn't mean alot of those players are good, or that there aren't 15 other equally sized guilds trying to do the same thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.[20]

God i hope so. That'd be so awesome.
  • Options

God i hope so. That'd be so awesome.

agreed.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    In reply to OP, I disagree. I think it's just a personal preference thing and I prefer having flying mounts to be very rare. I want the feeling of awe and wonder when I see one or get the chance to ride one. I've played WoW since vanilla and remember the excitement I experienced when flying for the first time. That feeling has definitely gone away since they are so common now and obviously not new anymore, but we can bring the rarity of them back.