Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Is The Game So Expensive And Totally Overpriced

This game has been in alpha for 3 years, and the company is still charging ridiculous prices for an MMO RPG that hasn't even released yet. Other popular MMO RPG's such as World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Albion Online, etc, cower in price compared to this game. I see people requesting that they bring out the $500 USD package again and this is probably the craziest thing i have ever read in my entire life. The developers for this game are clearly greedy scum that only wish to take peoples money and don't have any intentions of releasing a good game. Frankly i was excited to invest and enjoy this game but as soon as i registered and account and looked into the price i almost passed out, $15 USD usually converts to about $30 AUD amounting to approximately $360 AUD a year. I could roughly purchase 3 streaming services each month for the sole price of this games ALPHA! I saw people in the forums agreeing to pay double for a life time subscription and this astounds me, this game could amount to many small bills and i cannot imagine why anyone would invest in a venture like this.

Comments

• Options
    You forget that you don't actually have to buy the packages. Packages offer a number of benefits from access to testing phases, cosmetic rewards and about half of the packages are game time for when the game releases.
    The game is 15 bucks a month with no other cost to play. If you don't want the extra benefits of the packages, you kinda don't have to pay.
  • Options
    are you purposely being subversive or disingenuous?

The alpha is buy-in as it is an alpha ONE, nobody forces you to buy an alpha build of a game. The entire game is already funded privately. The buy in to the alpha and beta is entirely optional, and the only bonuses really are some cosmetics and and alpha/beta access.

If you are really worried just wait until the game comes out, and watch the alpha/betas and release and then decide if you want to sub. Everything you said is basically a non-issue if you just wait for the game to come out like a normal human
  • Options
    LuentLuent Member
    I've had a deep look into exactly what you have looked into with this game, I'm as equally astonished in what I had witnessed with these prices and I agree completely with what you have written here.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The game costs $0 with a monthly subscription of $15 (USD, I assume).
    That's very cheap.

If you don't want to donate money via support packages, then don't ... Steven himself has said similarly. You are encouraged, even by the devs, to wait until release.

Also, you seem to be misinformed. You cannot play the game atm no matter how much you pay. Just wait for release.

Furthermore, $15 USD is more like $20 AUD, typically.

That's exactly the same price as World of Warcraft, and essentially every other MMO with one massive difference. Those games cost about $60-$90 per expansion on top of the subscription.

It seems MMOs are just not for you and that's fine. You can take your behavioral problems and meager investment and leave. The game is already funded.
  • Options
    I have a strong suspicion both of these people, and the following fresh accounts that are about to post and have never posted before, are all "Derek Smart" .. or some similar type of troll.
  • Options
    LuentLuent Member
    phdmonster wrote: »
    You forget that you don't actually have to buy the packages. Packages offer a number of benefits from access to testing phases, cosmetic rewards and about half of the packages are game time for when the game releases.
    The game is 15 bucks a month with no other cost to play. If you don't want the extra benefits of the packages, you kinda don't have to pay.

That's $15 a month! convert that to AUD and see for yourself, the ignorance of all your posts are extremely shocking ahah what a joke this is.
  • Options
    Luent wrote: »

That's $15 a month! convert that to AUD and see for yourself, the ignorance of all your posts are extremely shocking ahah what a joke this is.

I did, it's 21.07 Australian Dollars.

That's cheaper than all MMORPGs that come to mind. The game itself is $0.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    So you think that charging people $360 dollars for once alpha bundle is okay and not at all scummy?, also the main thing that i addressed was the fact that it was $15 dollars a month and that i way overpriced and there are games that provide a lot more content while being a lot less expensive. you cannot argue that i am being disingenuous when everything i stated was factual and no where did i lie or overreact. I could buy one copy of Rainbow Six Siege every single month for the price of this game.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can see your stance and understand your position.

Normally for MMOs I'd buy Collectors Editions for cool statues and stuff, but Ashes has no box cost and will be digital. I still accepted a package because it translates to a similar price as some Collectors Editions.

Ultimately, the game is showing decent progress and though it may not be value for money in terms of packages, each to their own. You do not have to Alpha or Beta the game. You could just sub when the game releases. In terms of kickstarter MMOs this is my first, so far I feel I've been lucky with my choice.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

So the same price as many other subscription based MMOs? do you even know how to convert AUD?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    300px-Peasant_Joke.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Um no $21 is not cheaper than any other MMO that you can think of, there are a lot of MMO's that are worth a lot less than $21 as i stated in my first comment
  • Options

I am curious. What makes Ashes of Creation different from all the other subscription based MMORPG games in your mind?

What exactly can you buy with 20 or 30 AUD per month?

I am not an American or an Australian and yet i am comfortable with paying a monthly sub for a game i want to play.

Also, i am curious, what is your solution to this 'problem'? Do you want them to stop selling the packages and cosmetics? Not everyone agrees with you and a lot of people want to buy them. A lot of people prefer the game to have a subscription as well because it acts as a gate for bad actors.

What is your issue exactly?
  • Options
    Ne0 wrote: »
    So you think that charging people $360 dollars for once alpha bundle is okay and not at all scummy?, also the main thing that i addressed was the fact that it was $15 dollars a month and that i way overpriced and there are games that provide a lot more content while being a lot less expensive. you cannot argue that i am being disingenuous when everything i stated was factual and no where did i lie or overreact. I could buy one copy of Rainbow Six Siege every single month for the price of this game.

I really wonder what your intentions are lmao.

The game is not released yet so why are you comparing it to already released games?
    The game is fully funded, anything else is optional pretty much.
    Alpha+Beta are optional.
    The game has no box cost and no expansion cost. just 14.99 a month USD.
    If you think its a scam, simply wait for the release and then decide.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    My issue is with the core cost of the game monthly and not that it is a monthly subscription, i play WOW and it is a lot cheaper than this game is. It does not matter what you say the fact of the matter is they are charging a lot of money for a chance to play a game in alpha.
  • Options
    Well, first, as has been mentioned by everyone else, you dont have to pre order if you want to play in the long run! Second, if it was free to play the shop wouldn't be just cosmetics. Third, its the first game of its kind, and is based off of USA players. They cant cater to every currency in the world, that would be impractical. They aren't greedy, unless you think any subscription based game is greedy. Dont say the game is never going to be finished, as that isn't true. They actually want to make a good game.
  • Options
    My issue is with the core cost of the game monthly and not that it is a monthly subscription, i play WOW and it is a lot cheaper than this game is. It does not matter what you say the fact of the matter is they are charging a lot of money for a chance to play a game in alpha.

So 15/month is more expensive than 15/month + box cost. Okay.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    What i am saying and what people are failing to understand is that paying $30 AUD for a monthly subscription is too much, i realise you do not have to purchase the alpha packages but it does not change the fact that they are there. People seem to not be understanding when i say that the monthly cost of the game is my main concern as the game hasn't even been released yet and they are already introducing high prices.
  • Options
    I'm not even sure if WoW still charges flat rate AUD, not many other companies do that anyways, it can change.

Blame the exchange rate, not the company. They are just getting off the ground I'm pretty sure they don't even have a SEA publisher lined up
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member

So 15/month is more expensive than 15/month + box cost. Okay.

there is no box cost and AOC is not 15 dollars a month is it 30 AUD vs 15 AUD for WOW as you can see this is double the price of WOW
  • Options
    What i am saying and what people are failing to understand is that paying $30 AUD for a monthly subscription is too much, i realise you do not have to purchase the alpha packages but it does not change the fact that they are there. People seem to not be understanding when i say that the monthly cost of the game is my main concern as the game hasn't even been released yet and they are already introducing high prices.

Dude, you don't pay a sub during testing.

If the sub is too much for you when the game launches, then i don't really know what to say. It's an industry standard.
  • Options

Um no $21 is not cheaper than any other MMO that you can think of, there are a lot of MMO's that are worth a lot less than $21 as i stated in my first comment

Um. You listed WoW, GW2 and Albion Online.

Albion online cost $30 USD box-price, then moved to a F2P model later on. It also offered alpha, beta and early-access packages for hundreds of dollars, and still offers premium at $10 a month. So, looks like you're wrong there, unless your point was that some games are F2P so ... All games should be F2P?

WoW has box prices per game and expansion about every 2 years of $60-$90 USD, on top of a $15 USD subscription, so ... Wrong.

GW2 also had a cost but is now F2P, so either way... Wrong. On top of that the current expansion costs $30, $60 and $80 depending on package... So, wrong again.

I've seen your kind before. You come to MMORPG forums and do this. You have no intention of ever playing the game, you just want to see it fail and your way of doing that is called FUD. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Whenever a project grows in success and attention FUD appears on the forums from bad faith actors.

Everyone should do the right thing and report these sort of threads.
  • Options

as I said, they aren't going to cater the price for everyone. They dont have to and I doubt they will, because then they lose money that they would use to help keep all of the servers afloat, and pay their workers.
  • Options

$21 AUD*

It's cheaper than what you paid to play WoW.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    It is not an industry standard it is a lot more expensive than the industry standard as i have stated many many times! I also do not understand why the game was $500 for people who wanted a life time subscription and i do not care about the additional in game bonuses.
  • Options
    It is not an industry standard it is a lot more expensive than the industry standard as i have stated many many times! I also do not understand why the game was $500 for people who wanted a life time subscription and i do not care about the additional in game bonuses.

If the entire concept of Kickstarter rewards for early backing is foreign to you I don't think you will understand what people are trying to tell you.
  • Options

It is indeed industry standard, and it is cheaper than other games you've listed.

I know you've stated it many times, but the things you're stating are incorrect, so people will continue to correct you.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    If a game i list is now F2P that means it is F2P so i am not wrong there and i dont understand what you mean.
  • Options

it is an industry standard for games that aren't horrible. as I said earlier, they need money for many things, including advertising and adding more stuff.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    And i do have the intention of playing if the game was less expensive i am a big MMO RPG player and when you say "report this thread" is pretty funny since you clearly don't want constructive criticism.