Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Is The Game So Expensive And Totally Overpriced

Comments

• Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    USD i mean
  • Options
    LuentLuent Member
    Ne0 wrote: »
    As i have stated the usual conversion is $25 (not 30 mb) not 20.95 which is $10 more than WoW

Yeah, that is a bit of a stretch for a Monthly subscription game... there's gonna need to be a change with that because that sums up to around $300 AUD a year, bit much for an upcoming MMORPG? and just to help all of you simple-minders WOW has always been $15 AUD monthly subscription so don't tell me that they have always been able to support that price because they haven't, they've managed the game properly because I'm telling you if WOW had a price such as this it would no way have as near players playing that game as much as it would now.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    usually 1.5 AUD is equal to 1.0 AUD

That's the thing with buying internationally, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

If you buy when it is at 1.5/1 then you lose, so don't buy then.

However, right now it is at less than 1.1/1, so you have nothing to complain about right now. Maybe if the dubloon/dollarydoo were stronger, you would get yourself a situation where you had a 0.8/1 rate, and you could get your subscription for $12aud - because that is how currencies work.
  • Options
    LuentLuent Member
    Throw your one-sided paragraphs at me, won't you?
  • Options
    Great. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I think that will do.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Well done trying to get the last word in, as if u control whether we're done or not lmao
  • Options
    Luent wrote: »
    As i have stated the usual conversion is $25 (not 30 mb) not 20.95 which is $10 more than WoW

Yeah, that is a bit of a stretch for a Monthly subscription game... there's gonna need to be a change with that because that sums up to around $300 AUD a year, bit much for an upcoming MMORPG? and just to help all of you simple-minders WOW has always been $15 AUD monthly subscription so don't tell me that they have always been able to support that price because they haven't, they've managed the game properly because I'm telling you if WOW had a price such as this it would no way have as near players playing that game as much as it would now.

well, you dont have to get it, and the devs at intrepid need money for maintaining servers and adding updates.
  • Options
    Well done trying to get the last word in, as if u control whether we're done or not lmao

He controls whether he is done or not. I don't think there is anything more to that post than this.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Its almost like MMORPGs take millions of dollars to make.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    @Ne0
    @Luent
    Come back and tell me more about AUD. This thread cant end like this.
  • Options
    @Ne0
    @Luent

Spot poll, Dubloons, or Dollarydoos?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    @Ne0
    @Luent

Spot poll, Dubloons, or Dollarydoos?

Not like anything important is going on in this thread, so maybe this will help you decide between dollarydoo or dubloon. Here's the front and back of our dollar! Roo and Queen included!

f611d7b3-4606-4e4a-9ed4-7f167c3e5a40.jpg

b484505a-c7e5-4713-8e83-afc578525cfa.jpg

• Options
    Fairly sure you just did that up in MS paint.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You know the old saying if you can't afford it don't buy it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I mean, this must be 2 trolls, no?

Comparing it to other MMOs the pay model seems pretty fair to me. You pay 15€/$ a month and you can play the game. No initial cost, no nothing.

Now, the Kickstarter and other founder packs seem expensive in the first place, but aren't really. It's an optional path you may take, but you don't have to and other games have done the same. I remember Warframe as a really prominent example with their 350$ founder pack. And their game is fully free of charge.

I can understand that people dislike subscription models, but it has its upside. One of which being constant flow of money towards the publisher and developer, so they don't have to stress on releasing weekly cash shop additions.
    Additionally, the subscription fee might be on the top spectrum as many popular MMOs range between 10$ and 15$, but all the big ones have about the same sub cost and additionally have a box cost (FFXIV, WoW, ESO kinda).

Lastly, if you get cucked by the country you're living in, that might be sad, but instead of generalising and calling something fraud, try to get into a reasonable discussion with devs. Crying never helps. Especially, when the game isn't even released.
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    This game has been in alpha for 3 years .

this is wrong by the way its pre-alpha for 3 years.
    now before you say something like 'even more reason not to charge so much'
    that isn't a long time for development. please understand that 3 is barely half the time it takes to make any of the mmos you listed in post.

however your point about it being expensive etc.
    you're comparing an optional OTB to the full release of titles
    on release, to compare to the titles you listed, its at $15 a month.

its not expensive to play. its expensive to test.

thanks for listening to my ted talk
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Wait, wasnt Albion online a kickstarter game at one point as well?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    darthaden wrote: »
    Wait, wasnt Albion online a kickstarter game at one point as well?

It was
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nobody force you to pay that amount.

When the game come out 15$/month is not that expensive.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One of the most important parts of any long term game is economic viability. If a company is not making money off a game they won't continue to support it. A monthly subscription fee helps to maintain the game and assuming the game is anywhere near what they are saying it will be well worth the cost. This is also coming from a Canadian who has to pay a similar amount to what you are describing ($20 CAD a month.)
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I smell trolls.

Remember kids don't feed them.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    15 USD is more than fair for a monthly fee for a game that has no box cost, no expansion cost and no pay to win. The packages contains cosmetics, and if you want the earliest access key that you currently can buy (A2-key) you need to buy the voyager pre-order package ($250) which doesn't really give you a full game at all, it is literally what it says: "alpha". If you really want an unfinished product then you can buy one. Much better than how Blizzard is dealing with beta keys: RNG. I'd rather buy if I really want a live preview of a game. Furthermore I believe they said that you will be allowed to stream the game even in A1 so just like myself, I'll sit and enjoy the game from someone else's perspective.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. WoW is one of the only MMO's that does a 15 AUD. They literally subsidize it so you can play.
    2. The highest point in the last 5 years of conversion was 25 and some change, not 30, So bullshit on your it often becomes 30 comment
    3. You pay that money for a large chunk of store currency various cosmetics and multiple months of subscription, and don't need to do it to play. We aren't buying a game at this point, we are supporting a passion project of ours.
    4. The game is already funded, anything we contribute is gravy
    5. You've likely never played a true alpha, since most alphas these days are mechanically betas, you'll notice almost no key systems are worked about or changed leading to release in most of these cases (Anthem for Example)
    6. If you aren't comfortable with the price of the game, then it isn't for you, have a nice day on your search for something more appropriate.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Luent wrote: »
    Throw your one-sided paragraphs at me, won't you?

With pleasure. WoW can afford that because WoW is a massive established game that let's you play cheaper than everyone else. They also do this because whether or not they changed the price, you constitute such a minute part of their player base they could not care less whether people play or not. And now they are bringing cosmetics and services to USD value since that's their real measure of success these days, Subs are a side show.
  • Options
    The sub is roughly R$ 81.00 for me (I'm brazilian) and I'm not complaining. I am totally fine with the pricing. You may choose not to play or not to pay for preorder packages, those are entirely optional. I understand that the exchange is very high for me but I don't blame no one for that; not US, and definitely not the company. I choose to build money from my reserves so that I can enjoy this game once it releases because I want to. You could do the same, plus you should be thankful that it amounts for 21 or so AUD, that's way cheaper than 81 BRL.

I cannot understand why some people are like this. It's very sad.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    Making the sub price different per region would mean players could circumvent their region's price and pay less than they should by easily downloading a VPN service, the only way changing this would work out is if accounts were region locked.

Seems to be a lot of confusion and I'm not sure if this has been cleared up, but the fact that WoW accounts are region locked is the reason WoW is not the same price as Ashes of Creation in Australia and converts to actually only being 10.65 USD for Australians meanwhile currently AoC is not region locked and as a result is 4.35 USD more than WoW but this number is obviously larger when comparing in other currencies because of the currency value disparity.

This being said, minimum wage in Australia is actually significantly more than some countries so I see nothing wrong with the cost being higher personally but obviously I don't know the economics behind everything.
  • Options
    Namil wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of confusion and I'm not sure if this has been cleared up, but the fact that WoW accounts are region locked is the reason WoW is not the same price as Ashes of Creation in Australia and converts to actually only being 10.65 USD for Australians meanwhile currently AoC is not region locked and as a result is 4.35 USD more than WoW but this number is obviously larger when comparing in other currencies because of the currency value disparity.

This is an important thing to consider aswell. Would region-based charge be optimal for the *players*? Why, yes it would, but that's much more on how they handle publishing and the whole financial management than a simple wish/decision. At the end of the day they're still a company, they need to cover costs and prospect profits on the long run, and this is coming from someone who's not paid in dollars.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    TPOTK1NGTPOTK1NG Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This is the only logical explanation.