Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Is The Game So Expensive And Totally Overpriced

Comments

• Options
    Ne0 wrote: »
    If a game i list is now F2P that means it is F2P so i am not wrong there and i dont understand what you mean.

Let me ask you this then. How much would you be comfortable paying monthly for a sub based MMORPG?
  • Options
    Bro the AUD does not have as much purchasing power as the USD and all games cost more in Australia. Some of the larger publishers or producers can afford to charge a flat rate for AUD, if you are paying flat rate AUD below the exchange rate the company is essentially subsidizing you to play lol.

Because they don't want lifetime subs to be cheap? its not something that many people get, and if there were no cosmetics or other things in people would complain about that instead...
  • Options
    If a game i list is now F2P that means it is F2P so i am not wrong there and i dont understand what you mean.

Because it wasn't F2P.

This game isn't out yet. It costs $15 to sub, which is cheap and has a $0 box cost.

Simple finances. Let's use WoW as an example. If you want to start playing WoW today, you need to pay the exact same cost in sub ($15 a month), on top of a $50 box cost just to try the game beyond level 20 (it doesn't start until end-game)...

Compare that to a game that has spent 0 time with a box cost because it isn't out yet, and still only costs $15 to sub. You could sub for a month for $15, experience the game fully, and decide you love it or hate it ...

One situation has a minimum cost of $15
    The other situation has a minimum cost of $65

Which number is greater?
    65 or 15?
  • Options

F2P generally has developers make the game pay to win, as they need some way to make money.
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dude, you're just plain lying, 15$ us is 21$ aud. what are you on about 30$ a month?
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Not 15-30 i am talking in AUD since that is where i am from, and all of this doesnt change the fact that the devs were asking for 500 dollars at one point in time.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    $15US a month has been the standard for a subscription MMORPG for around 2 decades now, but most of those games have both a box fee and a DLC cost - neither of which Ashes will have.

If you live in a country where the conversion rate makes it more expensive, complain to your elected official about the exchange rate, and have them do something to improve your countries economy. Or alternatively, play an MMO made in your country - I'm not sure if Australia has one, though I know New Zealand does.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Currently it is a conversion of 15 to 21 but the average is 30 and i guarantee it will rise again soon as it always has.
  • Options
    Not 15-30 i am talking in AUD since that is where i am from, and all of this doesnt change the fact that the devs were asking for 500 dollars at one point in time.

They were never asking $500 for access to the game, they were asking for support.

And to be fair, the top tier supporter pack cost $10,000, not $500.
  • Options
    If only you knew there were 10k dollar packages.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Ah yes even more money how great
  • Options

F2P generally has developers make the game pay to win, as they need some way to make money.

This is an important point OP fails to understand.

We don't want the game to be F2P. If it's F2P they will be forced to support the game through means other than a sub/box-cost... Which generally, yes, means Pay2Win Cash-Shop.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    I am not asking for a free game just a price reduce no where did i state that i wanted it to be free
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Why is that such an issue for you? Baring in mind for that price you got a lifetime subscription, a ton of in-game cosmetics and titles, etc etc. And, as other people have said, it was completely optional.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I'll ask again. What do you want the business model of the game to be?
    Do you want them to stop selling packages?

What do you want exactly?
  • Options

Yes, we know you are talking AUD. I am in Australia too, dude.

I think you have no idea how much you actually pay for your games.
    WoW is $50 USD and $15 USD for sub.
    Ashes is $0 USD and $15 USD for sub.

WoW $15 USD converts to $21 AUD
    Ashes $15 USD converts to $21 AUD

Did that help?
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    WoW is not 15 USD it is 15 AUD
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am not asking for a free game just a price reduce no where did i state that i wanted it to be free

Well, since you have kept saying that this game is too expensive, leave.

As people have said, the packages today and previously are for pre-release and cosmetics. Totally the choice of the buyer. The monthly sub is the standard $15 US. If you get other games cheaper, you are lucky. You don't have to pay any box cost or for any expansions. What other game does that?
  • Options
    winner909098winner909098 Member
    edited July 2020

YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY THAT!!!! They offered the ability to get alpha 2/1 testing (I forgot which one), and unlimited subscription. (also you said that you only cared about the subscription)
    My issue is with the core cost of the game monthly and not that it is a monthly subscription, i play WOW and it is a lot cheaper than this game is. It does not matter what you say the fact of the matter is they are charging a lot of money for a chance to play a game in alpha.

• Options
    edited July 2020

But you haven't said why you want it.

MMO's have been $15 a month for more than 20 years. Due to inflation, they should be significantly higher than that.

Again, if there is an issue with your exchange rate, that is on your elected officials, not Intrepid - they can't pay their staff in Australian dubloons.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    Wow = 15 AUD
    AOC - 15 USD - 30 AUD
  • Options
    Wow = 15 AUD
    AOC - 15 USD - 30 AUD

Yes, Blizzard can probably afford to do it like that.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    ooow a 10 comment badge, Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Wow = 15 AUD
    AOC - 15 USD - 30 AUD

Actually, right now, $15us is equal to $20.95 aud, which I have to assume means Australian Dubloons.

If you are going to complain about something, at least get your basic math right.
  • Options
    Wow = 15 AUD
    AOC - 15 USD - 30 AUD

thats because WOW can afford it. If you expect that AOC will allow you to pay other currencies for the game, people will just go and do that to pay for it, as its cheaper.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    Wow = 15 AUD
    AOC - 15 USD - 30 AUD

Actually, right now, $15us is equal to $20.95 aud, which I have to assume means Australian Dubloons.

If you are going to complain about something, at least get your basic math right.

Dubloons? That's offensive. Our currency is the great and proud dollarydoo.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    As i have stated the usual conversion is $25 (not 30 mb) not 20.95 which is $10 more than WoW
  • Options
    phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    And Blizzard doesn't offer the same price in all local currencies. I have to pay in Euro because i am in the EU - so 15 euro/month instead of 15 lev/month which is our official currency and is about 1:2 euro:lev.
  • Options
    Ne0Ne0 Member
    usually 1.5 AUD is equal to 1.0 AUD
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since you have stated your opinion that $15 US is too much, please stop. Since you won't be playing, why are you still here?