Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Renamed Classes

Comments

• Options
    NOOOO, don't make that mistake. Druids are of elven origin, they can't just be of any race. That ruins their lore, lore that has been maintained across several games. Don't make druids a class, but make it into a type of augment or if you are going to make it a class, i recommend restricting it to the elven race.
    I misspelled there. Scratch that class.
    Yes for elven race(s). Druid name would be better than Protector of Nature.
  • Options
    Keith wrote: »
    <3<3 Can I make a list too? <3:*

no :expressionless:
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    <3<3 Can I make a list too? <3:*

By all means, please do. But make sure you listen to the community before u make one.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    hands of my necromancer
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Why is this a topic of debate? Why does the name of the classes matter to anybody? Just play the one that either best suits the group you play with, is the meta or the one whose play-style you enjoy playing the most.

Further if Devs said they won't change them, they won't. They are building an MMO. They don't have time to go back and rename classes. I think we should focus our feedback on more productive things like balance, effectiveness in group play, etc etc..

I'm only very lightly involved in this topic. Since we're still in early Alpha stage, these names can be changed to (if possible) better communicate or represent what the class is about. All I wanted from the start was to change Scion to Arcane Archer since I felt like no one really knows what a Scion is. Can't even google it to find out. It's that nebulous of a concept. I also have a personal attachment to that playstyle.

But if the devs don't want to change it, that's okay too. It's their prerogative. But these are the classes we'll have to live with for the foreseeable future. And having the names better represent your playstyle will only have a positive effect. Those are my thoughts at least. If the devs are on board with some of the changes, it's among the easiest changes they can make before writing them in stone upon release.

And arguing about names instead of gameplay mechanics feels like we're all already quite happy with what we've seen in the game. Nitpicking about names is positive in my mind.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    VKhat wrote: »
    You changed the name of my class? Vigilante? That sounds more like a tank spec than a Scout. Scouts are important in this game! Especially if you combine it with Scribe!

Are you serious? Google what a vigilante means before you type. A vigilante is NOT a tank.
    Vigilante is a guardian. Someone who protects. Ranger and Rogue combined are not a Vigilante.

NOOOOOO. A vigilante is a mercenary. Someone who takes justice into his own hands. Someone who can be paid to kill people. They are not tanks LMAO.

NOOOOOO. What you just described is a Mercenary. A vigilante is a person who protects others. "a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate."

You described a Merc. Vigilantes are not paid, wtf.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    Srky wrote: »
    NOOOO, don't make that mistake. Druids are of elven origin, they can't just be of any race. That ruins their lore, lore that has been maintained across several games. Don't make druids a class, but make it into a type of augment or if you are going to make it a class, i recommend restricting it to the elven race.

Noo, Druids are of human origin. You are thinking of something else. In some mythology, Elves are just zombie humans that shine like gold. They didn't have the druids. That's the Tolkien take on elves. Make no mistake! Druids did exist in paganism and our history. They started the whole thing before Elves were all about nature.
  • Options
    Why is this a topic of debate? Why does the name of the classes matter to anybody? Just play the one that either best suits the group you play with, is the meta or the one whose play-style you enjoy playing the most.

Further if Devs said they won't change them, they won't. They are building an MMO. They don't have time to go back and rename classes. I think we should focus our feedback on more productive things like balance, effectiveness in group play, etc etc..

I'm only very lightly involved in this topic. Since we're still in early Alpha stage, these names can be changed to (if possible) better communicate or represent what the class is about. All I wanted from the start was to change Scion to Arcane Archer since I felt like no one really knows what a Scion is. Can't even google it to find out. It's that nebulous of a concept. I also have a personal attachment to that playstyle.

But if the devs don't want to change it, that's okay too. It's their prerogative. But these are the classes we'll have to live with for the foreseeable future. And having the names better represent your playstyle will only have a positive effect. Those are my thoughts at least. If the devs are on board with some of the changes, it's among the easiest changes they can make before writing them in stone upon release.

And arguing about names instead of gameplay mechanics feels like we're all already quite happy with what we've seen in the game. Nitpicking about names is positive in my mind.

:|:|:| Do we even know what classes will play like? Last time I checked there aren't even augmentations released for most of the classes. Without knowing how each combination will play how can we make a judgement to what they should be called. o:)o:)o:)

We can get an idea from the released gameplay and general knowledge of games and MMOs. I'll be playing an archer without a doubt. So I'm expecting to hit-scan. So, as I said, "Scion" for example is so nebulous of a term that you can't even google it to know what it's about. That's a problem. I kinda like the rest, personally.

But you're right. A Spellstone might play much more differently than we thought which justifies the name. But that's for the devs to decide. I just like throwing out ideas to see if any of them stick. I'll play a Ranger/Mage class no matter the name.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Srky wrote: »

Noo, Druids are of human origin. You are thinking of something else. In some mythology, Elves are just zombie humans that shine like gold. They didn't have the druids. That's the Tolkien take on elves. Make no mistake! Druids did exist in paganism and our history. They started the whole thing before Elves were all about nature.

A Druid is a tree hugging magic user that uses nature to put it half way between a mage and a cleric with the ability to shape shift
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    How dare you change my class name? Arcane Champion? NO.

You could also call the class Spellmaster and change Void Lord to Void Champion instead.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    For those of you wondering what happened to this discussion, check out reddit. That's where the discussion continued.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/hx0iyh/renamed_classes_what_do_you_guys_think/
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    How dare you change my class name? Arcane Champion? NO.

You could also call the class Spellmaster and change Void Lord to Void Champion instead.

:D:D Arcane Champion :s:s

I initially came up with void champion but instead chose to make it void lord instead and change battle mage to arcane champion, as i couldn't find a name to replace spellstone. But now I came up with Spellmaster. And it definitely sounds better than arcane champion.
  • Options
    Shadow Lord / Shadow Monarch / Shadow Sovereign
    But having a Rogue/Summoner that goes with some type of Shadow mechanic is insanely enticing. Also, the class name is badass.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Iversithy wrote: »
    Shadow Lord / Shadow Monarch / Shadow Sovereign
    But having a Rogue/Summoner that goes with some type of Shadow mechanic is insanely enticing. Also, the class name is badass.

Yea they all work as well. I do like Shadow Monarch a lot though.
  • Options
    My dude, you are really coming at this from an angle wholly derived from your own personal definitions of some of these words.

And the way you respond to people who have different definitions, even if they are more technically correct, is not very conducive to constructive conversation about it.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You described a Merc. Vigilantes are not paid, wtf.

We could just go the whole hog and call the class Batman.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    My dude, you are really coming at this from an angle wholly derived from your own personal definitions of some of these words.

And the way you respond to people who have different definitions, even if they are more technically correct, is not very conducive to constructive conversation about it.

Are you serious? How is a vigilante a tank? I literally have no concrete personal opinion on any of these changes. If someone comes up with a name that sounds better than what I came up with, I tell them straight up (Read above). But there are standard definitions to every term. I followed those standard definitions when it came to the names i chose above. A vigilante CAN be a mercenary. Most vigilantes go rogue after taking justice into their own hands. They turn into mercenaries. They are however, NOT TANKS in any way, shape or form. I personally think its a better term than scout. Its just personal opinion, if you don't like it then come up with a better name than both scout and vigilante.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    file_1522_batman-arkham-city-combat-tips-5.jpg

Vigilantes can be tanks, depends on their gear and skillset.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Are you serious? How is a vigilante a tank? I literally have no concrete personal opinion on any of these changes. If someone comes up with a name that sounds better than what I came up with, I tell them straight up (Read above). But there are standard definitions to every term. I followed those standard definitions when it came to the names i chose above. A vigilante CAN be a mercenary. Most vigilantes go rogue after taking justice into their own hands. They turn into mercenaries. They are however, NOT TANKS in any way, shape or form. I personally think its a better term than scout. Its just personal opinion, if you don't like it then come up with a better name than both scout and vigilante.

Well, I think Scout is perfectly fitting for a ranger/rogue, as a woodsman/bow type character with some focus on travelling without being seen.

Why exactly do you find that name lacking?

Also,

"I followed those standard defintions... most vigilantes go rogue... turn into mercenaries."

You literally contradict yourself from one sentence to the next by applying your own opinion/understanding/view about a word to the "standard definition" of the word.

Batman is the purest expression of a vigilante and he doesn't do that at all. So...
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

Well, I think Scout is perfectly fitting for a ranger/rogue, as a woodsman/bow type character with some focus on travelling without being seen.

Also,

"I followed those standard defintions... most vigilantes go rogue... turn into mercenaries."

You literally contradict yourself from one sentence to the next by applying your own opinion/understanding/view about a word to the "standard definition" of the word.

Batman is the purest expression of a vigilante and he doesn't do that at all. So...

Batman lives in a sci fi world. We're talking about a fantasy medieval world here. Stop comparing it to Batman.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Neurath wrote: »
    file_1522_batman-arkham-city-combat-tips-5.jpg

Vigilantes can be tanks, depends on their gear and skillset.

Jesus man, stop comparing sci fi world characters to fantasy medieval classes. A vigilante is more a ranger/rogue in a medieval setting than a sci fi melee fighter.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    This discussion is something else.. :|
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Batman lives in a sci fi world. We're talking about a fantasy medieval world here. Stop comparing it to Batman.

Good job ignoring everything else I said my man.

Not even trying to argue a vigilante is a tank here, just don't really understand why you think it fits better than scout.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Not even trying to argue a vigilante is a tank here, just don't really understand why you think it fits better than scout.

I think it SOUNDS COOLER than a scout. Meaning-wise, they're kinda the same to me. Both seem to fit the class fine to me. Again important, TO ME. I understand that you disagree, and that's ok. I'm here to see what people think of MY OPINIONS, whether they approve or disapprove of it. If they disapprove, ill change the things that they disagree with me on.
  • Options

I think it SOUNDS COOLER than a scout. Meaning-wise, they're kinda the same to me. Both seem to fit the class fine to me. Again important, TO ME. I understand that you disagree, and that's ok.

So is the point of this post just to tell people what you think is cool, or to try to gather community feedback in order to affect change as a group?
  • Options

Also,

Batman!