How will the game prevent Streamers from just taking over every node they want?

So, I first say that I didnt play any playtesting of this game, this is exactly why I have this question.
My Information comes from the Wiki, the recent Q&A, the Interview with Asmongold and the LazyPeons Video, which made me learn about the game in the first place.

So to my question:
As far as I understand evey node will, once grown to a town, start to vote a leader every month, going with different attempts depending on the node type. Where I see a problem here is, that people with big followings (aka streamers) and I wonder if a random dude even stands a chance to ever become a town leader againste these people who have a cult following them.

Some Nodes will have elections, and well, I dont think anyone could beat someone like Asmongold there, he just has too many sheeps in his flock for anyone to beat him in a popularity contest, but what about the other types?

As far as I learned, there are 3 other ways depending on the nodes: Buying the leadership position in a auction, Having the most exp contribution to a node and winning a free for all PvP tournament.

And for all three of those, I see Streamers winning every single time. For the Auction part, their sheeps can just funnle ressources into the streamers bank account so he can outbid even guild leaders by a landslide without tapping into his or her own budget, for the exp contribution they can just have their sheeps run arround collecting Quest materials for the streamer to hand in or provide him with a buff squad for kill quests and in a free for all PvP Match, their sheeps will jsut kill everyone else and then let their streamer kill them for an easy win...

Are there any systems in place to prevent that the Node Leafer List will not just be a rearrangement of the "top 100 streamers" list?

Comments

• Well this is an interesting issue to consider. If we accept everything you have suggested as being 100% how it will all go down then I guess nothing to do about it. That being said the limiting factors to still fight against it is legion. How many streamers with a big enough following could effectively influence the process? How many different servers would they be split between? How many nodes are further going to split them up from there? Sure Asmongold could easily have a following actively playing enough to win out over anyone else in 1 node. But that would be all he got. Also lets keep in mind streamers share the server with normies to. How many of there following will realistically be able to follow them into a single server? To many normies and guilds can take the streamers place. Not enough normies and its just an echo chamber. I dont think anything needs to be done about it until we get to see in practice how it will all go down.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is intended for leaders (those with many people following) to be able to take over nodes. If the leaders have a group due to streaming, that is just how they got their group. If you want to take over a node without a large group of people backing you, you could try the military node using a battle royale or the religious node which will depend on grinding through more related PVE quests than anyone else. I don't think any systems preventing teamwork have been announced for these. However, teaming in a battle royale breaks the fundamental point of the fight and I remember that people were getting banned in Apocalypse (Ashes battle royale for testing combat) for teaming.
  • BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    Also, there as many people who want to see streamers fail as want to put up with their shit and help them succeed. I almost guarantee that streamer servers will be the most conflicted servers. Also if there is no drama and conflict, their viewers will get bored and go play on another server.

Never underestimate the evilness of your fellow humans. Some people just want to watch the world burn.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It would be almost impossible to be leader of a metropolis level node without a large following behind you in some way, the real question I would have is - would they bother?

There isn't really that much in the way of perks to being leader of a node. You get the mount, which is great, and you make a few decisions, but there isn't much of a personal benefit to it.

Owning a castle, on the other hand, will offer them far better benefits - while still giving them the mount.

If a streamer like Asmonwtfever were to use his influence to take over a node rather than a castle, I'd probably just laugh at the waste of resources that was.
  • LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This can easily be avoided by playing on a server that streamers did not choose. They generally all play on the same server, and in the case of Classic WoW, it was very hard to even get into that server. Also, once the streamers leave, that server will likely die anyways.
  • trvstrvs Member
    Guess in some cases you wont get around that.
    If someone brings in a giant community into a server they will have an "advantage" over someone that joins without a community or even a smaller one.

But that is the nature of things.
  • that's how anything works in life and MMO is a Simulator of that.
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Redacted
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Raoul9753 wrote: »
    So, I first say that I didnt play any playtesting of this game, this is exactly why I have this question.
    My Information comes from the Wiki, the recent Q&A, the Interview with Asmongold and the LazyPeons Video, which made me learn about the game in the first place.

So to my question:
    As far as I understand evey node will, once grown to a town, start to vote a leader every month, going with different attempts depending on the node type. Where I see a problem here is, that people with big followings (aka streamers) and I wonder if a random dude even stands a chance to ever become a town leader againste these people who have a cult following them.

Some Nodes will have elections, and well, I dont think anyone could beat someone like Asmongold there, he just has too many sheeps in his flock for anyone to beat him in a popularity contest, but what about the other types?

As far as I learned, there are 3 other ways depending on the nodes: Buying the leadership position in a auction, Having the most exp contribution to a node and winning a free for all PvP tournament.

And for all three of those, I see Streamers winning every single time. For the Auction part, their sheeps can just funnle ressources into the streamers bank account so he can outbid even guild leaders by a landslide without tapping into his or her own budget, for the exp contribution they can just have their sheeps run arround collecting Quest materials for the streamer to hand in or provide him with a buff squad for kill quests and in a free for all PvP Match, their sheeps will jsut kill everyone else and then let their streamer kill them for an easy win...

Are there any systems in place to prevent that the Node Leafer List will not just be a rearrangement of the "top 100 streamers" list?

The game won't prevent it...but the game will allow tons of other guilds to stop it if they choose to join forces and do so.
  • Maybe a simple solution at least in part. Would be to only allow 1 mayor or castle owner per account. It will in the least get the company more cash with the extra sub. And if they keep the military node mayor system the same shouldn't really be any way for 1 person to always have it. Economic node will be the zone those streamers stay I would hazard to guess.
  • CaricCaric Member
    Most streamers don't want you to know them in the game anyway. Stream snipers and griefers abound.
  • Raoul9753 wrote: »

So to my question:

I don't think the game should prevent streamers from doing this. And I don't think they will. Why? Because top streamers bring people to the game. It's what makes a game a massively multiplayer online role playing game. I do see what you're saying but I think if that is your concern, you should try to play on a less populated, non-streamer server.

In this case I think the benefit outweighs the cost. Also - who says these streamers want that?
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Raoul9753 wrote: »

So to my question:

Here you go.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44956
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Please remember that only Scientific nodes use the voting system. Even then, the followers would have to already be a citizen of the node (they have soft caps on number of citizens).
    For economic, people would have to give money (why would I give money to someone else when my guild could use it better)? Devine is the person who does the most devine quests (last we heard...). And military is a brawl.
  • If a server has 100 nodes, having one controlled by a streamer and their followers doesn't bother me.

You could take the initiative to group and and organise a siege if it bothers you that much.

It's not a problem at all, if a streamer is in a node and you want to have the chance to be a mayor of a node, you can leave the node and go join another.
    fZr1HEl.png
    Felautumn - OCE hee hee
    "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Felautumn wrote: »
    If a server has 100 nodes, having one controlled by a streamer and their followers doesn't bother me.

You could take the initiative to group and and organise a siege if it bothers you that much.

It's not a problem at all, if a streamer is in a node and you want to have the chance to be a mayor of a node, you can leave the node and go join another.

there is a max of 5 max level nodes...so 5 will be the ones that matter.
  • I think choosing a mayor will be a matter of what's best in your interest or that of your Guild. We know that mayors will have a significant impact on how a node progresses and what buildings and improvements are built.

Followers of Asmongold might blindly vote for him in the first month but I wouldn't be so sure of their loyalty as soon as they get invested and a proper political economy starts to take form.
    And the streamer and all the followers would already have to be citizens of that node. Nodes do not allow infinite citizens.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Citizenship
  • If it bothers you then move away from them, if it continues to bother you form a coalition and attack them.
    Large streamer groups will most likely not be organized enough to take over an entire server for too long if at all...

Just look at Asmon's Olympus guilds. If they have large guilds they will splinter and have a civil war
  • The only democratic node is scientific.
    Military requires a battle
    Divine doing quest
    Economic is a bid, therefore money.

Even if a streamer gets hold of Mayorship, it will be required for people to vote each month.

A streamer is a really bad mayor, because all of his/her strategy will be plain to see for everyone, even enemies trying to figure out defenses.

So probably, if you have a house in such Node, it's not really a safe choice. Sure, people might vote for streamer the first time, then lose all houses, resources to a Node War, and stop voting streamers.
  • SpeedSpeed Member
    Make your own guild/friends, make alliances with other guilds to fight them maybe? lol This question.
    completemarch2.gif
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    The only democratic node is scientific.
    Military requires a battle
    Divine doing quest
    Economic is a bid, therefore money.

Even if a streamer gets hold of Mayorship, it will be required for people to vote each month.

A streamer is a really bad mayor, because all of his/her strategy will be plain to see for everyone, even enemies trying to figure out defenses.

So probably, if you have a house in such Node, it's not really a safe choice. Sure, people might vote for streamer the first time, then lose all houses, resources to a Node War, and stop voting streamers.

MIlitary is a free for all where having a ton of people on your side protecting you will give it to you
    Economic just need your fans to donate to your bid so you can make a huge bid...this will be the only way to win this one unless you buy gold
    Democratic is again popularity
    Divine is the only one that won't get completely warped by streamer popularity or guild leader polularity.
    Military is an arena. They haven't said it will be a free for all. It may be a 1 on 1 ladder tournament.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Military_nodes
    Economic, you have to have lots of people donate a lot of gold each time.

No matter what node type, the streamer and all followers would have to already be a citizen. Since there are soft caps on population, they would have to find a node at the start, all become citizens, and then they could control it going forwards. But then everyone else could just leave and siege it with alliances.
    Coordinating that many people to be all citizens of one node would be very improbable.
    Military is an arena. They haven't said it will be a free for all. It may be a 1 on 1 ladder tournament.

No matter what node type, the streamer and all followers would have to already be a citizen. Since there are soft caps on population, they would have to find a node at the start, all become citizens, and then they could control it going forwards. But then everyone else could just leave and siege it with alliances.
    Coordinating that many people to be all citizens of one node would be very improbable.

In a game based on hard counters random 1vs1 pvp tournament will never work. It would be more about which class drew which class than how well you played.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »

In a game based on hard counters random 1vs1 pvp tournament will never work. It would be more about which class drew which class than how well you played.

Which is why the militaristic election will require for you to create a champion, rather than use your own character for combat.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Aardvark

You were killed by Amist.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Amist wrote: »
    Aardvark wrote: »

Which is why the militaristic election will require for you to create a champion, rather than use your own character for combat.

Well that would completely take out how well geared or how much achievement you have.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah it will require skill or ten buddies to join you, knock out the opponents and then let you kill them
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

I made a detailed post on this topic. Check it out, it will explain to you why streamers, unlike in WoW, will play the game just like any normal player would.