Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Full Loot PVP scene.

EffluvikoffEffluvikoff Member
edited February 5 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes was never intended to be full loot. It would not have received the backing that it has if it was. Corruption is not there as a "playstyle" It is a punishment. All stick, no carrot. If you feel you really have to kill people not willing to fight back, then you pay the penalty, in time sink and possible gear loss.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 5
    -
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Corruption was concieved and designed as a pure punishment.

It is not supposed to be an optional playstyle.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Has any1 mmo with meaningful equipment systems ever done full loot upon death?
    No, because the purpose of mmo is to build up your fantasy class, dress it up with nice looking gear and fitting bonuses, combine your weapon and class abilities to fill a combat role.

Losing your gear means that you have to recraft/farm it, instead of discovering new zones, and playing politics and war games.

Full loot is best left to SCUM and RUST; games that have one type of scenery, with the sole purpose of players to demonstrate their combat and survival skills, and even organise in much much smaller groups than mmo guilds.

I don't want to spend my time going back to get base iron swords and iron helmets every time I die. Nobody does in an mmo. I don't mind doing that in SCUM. Over there it's actually pretty fun, since the combat is basic, but the challenge is not being killed while you gather useful items.

If what you propose goes live, the solo purpose of the game would be to kill others to prevent them from looting you. Mmos are much more than just that.

As for the corruption system. It has successfully worked before in an open world mmo, with the same purpose. To prevent griefers going on a killing spree.
    I will PK anybody that annoys me, talks shiet. Nothing prevents me from doing that, and even if I get killed as a Corrupt player, I won't get punished as much. I don't think you have all the facts about the system.

This is how the game is going to be. No point arguing in making this mmo, with its so many activities, just kill and loot gear.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    There won’t be any incentives to be corrupted because Intrepid don’t WANT people to do things to flag as corrupted.

They don’t want you ganking lowbies or zerging down a few lone gatherers. They want meaningful PvP over contestable resources.

Full-loot PvP does not work in the long-term. It’s alright for short term gameplay, quick sessions where what you acquire won’t be with you long regardless of if someone kills you or not.
  • Options
    This is how the game is going to be. No point arguing in making this mmo, with its so many activities, just kill and loot gear.
    You and I seem to be agreeing a lot lately.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    noaani wrote: »

I still get terribly annoyed when I look at your paragraphs, when there are much better ways to get a simple point across.
  • Options
    You wanna pvp for fun then from what I understand just go out with a buddy kill whoever you want and when your corruption gets high have your buddy kill you a few times and pick up your stuff for you to reset corruption. Hope we cant actually do that or this will be a shit show.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I still get terribly annoyed when I look at your paragraphs, when there are much better ways to get a simple point across.

If I'm posting a big paragraph like that, it means one of two things.

Either I am attempting to give people more branches with which to potentially carry the topic on (the combat tracker threads are an example of this) - or, I am having a really quiet week.

You may notice, I have been posting much shorter posts in general for the last few weeks - I've been busy.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I'm more annoyed that Noaani still has no profile picture
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Nagash wrote: »

Nor have I capatilized my forum name yet.

Edit, I may get around to both one day.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020

Nor have I capatilized my forum name yet.

Edit, I may get around to both one day.

Even more crimes to add to the list
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I'll start by saying, I love full loot and I'm a pretty hardcore PvPer, I played EvE Online in Nullsec for almost 10 years now- I don't claim to be the best by any means, this is pretty standard for null. I find the best part about PvP not to be the skill but the social interactions that come of it. Creating enemies, friendships, live saving situations where you scramble you and your friends to try to save someone who's "tackled". This, lets casuals get involved in it, whist still allowing a high skill ceiling (And still providing them an option to not do it entirely).'

Having more Corrupted players in the world is good for everyone.

Typically, I think the risk vs reward of full loot PvPing with the chance to lose your items to be an extremely fun one (You know because you get rewarded with their gear if you win), which brings completely new aspects to the game. Hiding, scouting and intelligence to name a few all start to mean a lot more to you when you could potentially lose the Xx Greatsword of Flaming Death xX.

But to me, the PvP system in this game provides zero incentive to become corrupted and to want to PvP under that villainous tag. At this point there's probably a truck load of downsides, for the one upside that "you killed who you wanted to kill". It just doesn't seem worth it. Meanwhile you're risking all your items, probably the inability to see a town for a long time and most likely if it's not timer based you will have to kill other corrupted players just to get out of it (Which just means people will get naked, and force the hand.)

There's an argument of "People will be dicks and do it anyhow". Yes, you are right they will, but they won't do it as a gameplay style, they won't stay in it long and to them it will be a dumb gimmick for a few hours with no relevance at best. No one is going to risk having their gear drop even for griefing purpose if there's no reward, trust me. If you think a large guild is going to all tag corrupted and camp a dungeon entrance? They won't- if another guild comes and kills even 1 person that guy loses his items and that's that (furthermore, its pretty hard to camp when everyone can see where you are, but even if they still did it despite everything, I guarantee they wouldn't do it day in day out as their preferred gameplay). If they're all wearing garbage they will probably get destroyed anyhow. There's just no incentive and it sucks. I want to play corrupted. I want a reason to be corrupted always. There just isn't one though.

We really need to think of some better reason to become corrupted. I'm just going to throw out some ideas, and most certainly a lot of this wouldn't work, but I really think it needs more. I also really hate that people can "See" where you are. Losing your items is enough. People should definitely not have the upper hand in the "PvP sense" already. Skill and preparedness should be the only factors and playing with a tight-nit group to minimize espionage.

- A town that is a safe haven for corrupted with special quests.
    - PvP kills as corrupted on regular combatants are worth much more.
    - Corrupted Augments

Just to name a few. Anyhow, please! Steven! Let's make full loot fun, but not so awful for the corrupted that they would never do it. Because then how are all you going to get my gear?

Hey man,
    I also have a back ground in full loot mmo's, playing Darkfall and Mortal Online, I enjoy it but I also understand that its what holds alot of games back from ever being more than a niche community.
    I think ashes is doing a great job of appealing to all playstyles of people while keeping everything meaningful, the ability to flag and kill people is very important as pve spots, materials etc are going to be highly contested in this game.
    I do know that if you flag and kill a non combatant you will still get to loot their inventory of materials etc, so I think it will still have its place but it will be a very punishing playstyle and hard to pull off longterm.
    There certainly isnt going to be a lack of meaningful pvp though, with the caravan system and mostly all meaningful pve content being open world.
  • Options
    Yes, AoC is not meant to be full loot.
    Also, and I've heard Jahlon speak about this: we still don't know how hard is to gather materials. I think we're all believing it's just gonna be running around collecting endless amount of resource nodes and making our items. I believe resources will be a lot more scarce, making the caravan system worth.
    If this happens, dying matters, and you will try to fight back, CC your enemy and run away or at least attack to lose less resources.
    Remember that if you're farming and you don't fight back you're losing 50% of your resources, vs 25% if you fight back.
    Also corruption system is there to deter PKing, but mostly to protect lowbies and avoid griefing. If someone is around your level they will be much more likely to fight back.
  • Options
    WhiskizWhiskiz Member
    edited July 2020
    Ashes was never intended to be full loot. It would not have received the backing that it has if it was. Corruption is not there as a "playstyle" It is a punishment. All stick, no carrot. If you feel you really have to kill people not willing to fight back, then you pay the penalty, in time sink and possible gear loss.

Exactly this.

They made it as an answer to griefing, not to add full loot pvp to the game.

There's not enough incentives for corrupted because you aren't supposed to be corrupted.

This coming from someone that also enjoys full loot like Eve and Darkfall.

Hopefully they do revisit something like this, but until then you're asking them to expand on a system they didn't even implement.

It's not even full loot, i think you have a chance to drop like 1 piece of gear at a time.

So there isn't even such thing as a "Full loot PvP scene" let alone what state it's in.
  • Options
    GenaroGenaro Member
    - A town that is a safe haven for corrupted with special quests.
    - PvP kills as corrupted on regular combatants are worth much more.
    - Corrupted Augments

Although I think that full loot doesn't belong to a game like this, for all the information that they provided, I like these ideas of having special/different interactions with the world (not just negative ones) really interesting. Like in BDO for example (although the game have many problems, it has some good systems too), in which you can visit a bandit camp with quests and so while you're under negative karma.

Even if these systems exists to make the world more interesting, my big concern is that will incentives griefing, which a huge problem. The risk vs. reward for systems like these must be unbalanced towards risk, meaning that you will take a great risk for a small reward, if it's associated with power progression. You can have some rewards with RP/cosmetic elements too, like having a title, unique costume, etc.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    The workaround for going "red" (corrupted) and at a level that dropped potentially all your inventory was usually to not go red without a good reason in the first place (good or unjust) but if you did, do so with trusted clan mates to quickly go with you somewhere and quitely kill you in a private area until you were brought back to uncorrupted status.

With a penatly of xp loss alone at higher levels was punitive in itself without retribution.
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    As someone who was onboard the EVE online train for far to long I know where you are coming from. But it wouldn't work in this game and the community they are trying to create.

I really don't wanna be looking over my shoulder anymore. Could they have some area or other side thing going on that was high risk pvp? Maybe a dungeon prehaps? I think that would work and be a interesting dynamic.

Also everyone did miss one thing. Corrupted players are rewarded when they kill a bounty hunter. We don't know with what but they do get something for being corrupted.
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    I don't think i remember all the details right but, i see the world pvp and corruption system is a good thing.
    Basically:
    You lose materials on your death, not your equipment. idk how much % of it, you lose
    The corruption on you have a time limit. You won't be forever corrupted.
    IF you are a citizen of a special node (i think the military) You have less corruption time on you.

Basically if you wanna kill others for loot you have to make a decision, who and what worth looting. Let's say you use X priced equipment to hunt them. If you can loot 2-3 X worth of loot, then it's a win even if you lose some equipment on death. The corrption punishment is a good system to prevent player kill everyone without the need of making a decision--> if it's worth it or not.
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member
    I personally hate the idea that you get "weaker" due to corruption. It's fine that you risk losing gear etc., but giving bounty hunters an edge up just creates an unbalanced PvP experience between "Killers" and "Bounty Hunters".
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Deztox wrote: »
    I personally hate the idea that you get "weaker" due to corruption. It's fine that you risk losing gear etc., but giving bounty hunters an edge up just creates an unbalanced PvP experience between "Killers" and "Bounty Hunters".

I agree but think about it this way... A group of me and twenty of friends go full grief mode on an area. Only way to stop us at that point is organize a bigger group. Well that just turns this into openworld pvp and a completely different game.

Sadly that mechanic has to stay or people would then just take advantage of the system and make it a living hell for others.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    The fact is you have more people who dont want any pvp what so ever then you do people wanting full loot. I think the current system is a compromise most people can live with. Make it full loot and you'll lose 50% of the playerbase. It's no coincidence none of the big dog mmo's have full loot. Full loot is typically reserved for games with 100 player servers
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Deztox wrote: »

"Sorry for clarity, the BH is not "prema" flagged. The corrupted player however, can attack and kill the Bounty Hunter without incurring more corruption. And the Corrupted player's combat penalties will not apply vs Bounty Hunters"
    https://discord.com/channels/256164085366915072/256164085366915072/733712955832795296
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    At this point that IS a profile picture of him to me. I see that on other posters and go wait this doesn't sound like Noanni, oh wait, it's someone else.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I just don't see why you would purposely play down a factor for your game that would enhance it, and not just from a person who wants to be a corrupted player. From your perspective the more corrupted in the world the better. You can't lose anything in the engagement just a little bit of time and maybe some e-honor. You have a hell of a lot to gain though. Nothing changes with what I suggest, it's still completely optional, you just incentivise it a bit more. Is that such a crime? This entire game has literally been the taco girl of "Why not both" and I reckon we can do it here also.

I really highly doubt people are going to even do this outside of the gimmick factor and maybe a couple of hours of sitting outside a city naked camping people. It's unlikely to happen due to how much it's going to screw you if you decide you want to go do a dungeon / raid / go into a town etc- Not spend the next X hours online even.

I might be wrong on this but the way I see it is that the corruption is equivalent to modern-day laws, I could go and commit any kind of crime but there is no benefit in doing so, in Ashes you can kill players anywhere but again there is no benefit in doing so, if they gave any kind of carrot for those people then a lot of PvE players who are already sceptical due to open-world PVP would just refuse to play the game.
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    edited July 2020
    Your benefit to kill ppl is gaining materials. If you are not a person who want to do anything with crafting and collecting materials, basically, aside from buying them, it's your only option.
    Personally if it would be a full loot system i wouldn't play it. It's only for hardcore pvp lover ppl. With full loot you can forget about crafters and PVE base players.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I too come from a pretty expansive full loot background (Ark, Rust, Atlas, Containment, Life is Feudal and others) and i've gotta say, without restrictions, or at least incentives for players not to be murder hobos, the game eventually devours itself. The corruption systems sits as a consequence; IS wants an immersive player driven world, and so they don't want to tell you, "Hey only kill players here, or only when they want to", but if you decide to kill that bystander, that's murder, and there are consequences. Now, a person does get a pay off for taking the risk and killing say, a gatherer who's headed back from a super rare resource the future corrupted player is aware of but can't gather, and then gets to play some cat and mouse with the Bounty hunters.

People need no incentive to blast each other to smithereens in games. They do however need incentives NOT to.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Has any1 mmo with meaningful equipment systems ever done full loot upon death?
    No, because the purpose of mmo is to build up your fantasy class, dress it up with nice looking gear and fitting bonuses, combine your weapon and class abilities to fill a combat role.

Losing your gear means that you have to recraft/farm it, instead of discovering new zones, and playing politics and war games.

Full loot is best left to SCUM and RUST; games that have one type of scenery, with the sole purpose of players to demonstrate their combat and survival skills, and even organise in much much smaller groups than mmo guilds.

I don't want to spend my time going back to get base iron swords and iron helmets every time I die. Nobody does in an mmo. I don't mind doing that in SCUM. Over there it's actually pretty fun, since the combat is basic, but the challenge is not being killed while you gather useful items.

If what you propose goes live, the solo purpose of the game would be to kill others to prevent them from looting you. Mmos are much more than just that.

As for the corruption system. It has successfully worked before in an open world mmo, with the same purpose. To prevent griefers going on a killing spree.
    I will PK anybody that annoys me, talks shiet. Nothing prevents me from doing that, and even if I get killed as a Corrupt player, I won't get punished as much. I don't think you have all the facts about the system.

Albion Online has done it, and it's ADDICTING. getting loot from opponents is awesome, and losing your gear is depressing, it gets you emotional and invested in the game. Also, Albion Online is by no means a dead game, all of the main cities in the game are so packed with players that it's hard to walk around, and so the demand for this type of play style is not necessarily in low demand.

Still, I don't think that a full looting system has any place in this game besides maybe a hardcore server further down the line.
  • Options
    RahkstarRPGRahkstarRPG Member
    edited July 2020
    Man, all these threads really showcase how willing people are just start complaining about stuff without trying to figure out how it actually works first.

> and most likely if it's not timer based you will have to kill other corrupted players just to get out of it

> but giving bounty hunters an edge up just creates an unbalanced PvP experience between "Killers" and "Bounty Hunters".

Seriously ya'll the answers to most of these concerns are on the wiki and in other posts. You can't provide constructive criticism if you don't even actually know what it is you're criticizing.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    -