Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Giving PVP a Skill Gap

13»

Comments

• Options
    Also to clarify, Animation canceling is needed in some context in order to actually make the game fluid. It will be there, just not to the extent at the moment that allows a skilled player to shine compared to a new one. For example, if you have a skill that drops down a ray of light or something, but can also move after casting it, that's animation canceling.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily care what style the combat has as long as movement and combat feels fluid. I like that the game is balanced around group play to avoid class homogenization, but I really hope some consideration is given to 1v1 and even 1vx combat. I hate games that make you feel like even though you've poured 9000 hours into the game, you still can't win this fight because your gear score is too low, or he's a mage and you are a warrior, or he has 2 guys and you have 1. I don't mind lopsided or disadvantageous fights. I don't mind fights that you are clearly supposed to lose, but I do mind when winning is an impossibility. I believe you should be able to 1v3 some fools if you are a god at the game and they're just average.

I highly doubt you will be able to roll around with 8 man groups at all times. I haven't played an mmo that truly forced you to make a group to do anything since FFXI. Realistically you are going to do shit on your own a lot, and you're going to have 1v1, 2v2, and other small skirmish pvp all of the time. Unless pvp is limited to only structured formats like bgs you are going to have way more 3v5, 8v7, 1v2, etc than you will have perfect 8v8 group fights, and I'd hate for literally every fight to boil down to "who has more people?" or "who has more healers?"

We really need the devs to get to a point where they can talk more about the combat itself, and what fighting other players is like. So far combat is the most mysterious aspect of this game to the point that there isn't much point in debating what is best. I just hope the devs and community are in agreement that skill is important! I want to be the deciding factor in victory or defeat, and not my character page.