What Kind of Player are you Poll

HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
We have a lot of new players coming in, and I would like to see the demographic of what kind of players we have here.
https://www.strawpoll.me/20711325
What type of Player are you?

Hardcore PvP will do PVE if needed

Hardcore PVE will do PVP if needed

Hardcore Crafter will do PvP and PVE is needed

Enjoy PvP with some light crafting and PVE

Enjoy PVE with some light PvP without consequences

Hate PvP won't do it

Hate PVE only doing it because I have to for Level/Gear

Just give me my Tools and maybe I make Armor for you.
Vote

Comments

• Where's the, "I like it all; PvP, PvE and Crafting" option? :|
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    those players exist? hehe just kidding this is more if you had a gun to your head what can't you live without?
    In most cases it's very easy for PvE and crafters to avoid PvP, not so much for PvP'er. We are forced to do quest after quest to go there, do this, come back rinse repeat.

Would be terrific if I could kill people and get experience that way.
  • I picked "Enjoy PVE with some light PvP without consequences" for the lack of a better option but I also like crafting. Truth is I never cared to join a game to frustrate myself over PvE; I could even accept PvP frustration, but never PvE. That being said this game should have content for everyone regardless of how some people perceive PvE/PvP. AoC is crafting their own brand without ditching the fundamentals and that's something I am extremely proud of.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Sandman wrote: »
    those players exist? hehe just kidding this is more if you had a gun to your head what can't you live without?
    In most cases it's very easy for PvE and crafters to avoid PvP, not so much for PvP'er. We are forced to do quest after quest to go there, do this, come back rinse repeat.

Would be terrific if I could kill people and get experience that way.

Well if I had a gun to my head I would still ask for the same option.....

- If it was nothing but PvE then I would eventually get bored of the continual grind and quit
    - If it was nothing but PvP I would tire of the repetitiveness of taking the same keeps over and over (or defending them.
    - If there was no crafting, I could probably live without that one.

That's why I loved games like DAoC, WAR and ESO. I could PvE all I wanted and when I wanted something a bit more challenging and exciting, I could go join the fight! Having all 3 available allows me to move from one to the other and avoid burnout on any single element of the game.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
    I loved DAoC, Warhammer online but not for their PVE, hated trials of Atlantis. PVE was just a means to a end for me.

That's why I was curious so when I see people reactions to post I can get a gauge on what type of community we have so I can understand better.
  • I guess I'm on the spectrum of, "Enjoy PvP with some light PvP without consequences" too. I just never found PvP in most MMOs I played that rewarding, and often just felt pointless; practically a dick measuring contest amongst players. The PvP never impacted the world or anything, so I'd never bothered playing it unless there was a daily quest or something requiring it; and most times PvP would be so unbalanced I couldn't get any kind of enjoyment out of it.

The only pvp-ish thing that I found enjoyable wasn't really even PvP, but more of a PvEvP; where players would need to contribute points towards their respective allied Nations around the global map, which after a month would tally up the points and that Nation would run that zone, effecting market pricing at shops, certain benefits for those who were allied to that Nation, and decreasing the morale of Beastmen in that zone(Beastmen NPCs would also try to contest these zones too, if they won they'd be much stronger).

It was an interesting system, haven't seen it since, and AoC is pretty similar to this.

Sorry for the rant! TL;DR: Enjoy PvP with some Light PvP without consequences; PvP for the most part always comes off as a pointless event to me in most MMOs, because of the lack of impact it has on the world as a whole.
    I guess I'm on the spectrum of, "Enjoy PvP with some light PvP without consequences" too. I just never found PvP in most MMOs I played that rewarding, and often just felt pointless; practically a dick measuring contest amongst players. The PvP never impacted the world or anything, so I'd never bothered playing it unless there was a daily quest or something requiring it; and most times PvP would be so unbalanced I couldn't get any kind of enjoyment out of it.

The only pvp-ish thing that I found enjoyable wasn't really even PvP, but more of a PvEvP; where players would need to contribute points towards their respective allied Nations around the global map, which after a month would tally up the points and that Nation would run that zone, effecting market pricing at shops, certain benefits for those who were allied to that Nation, and decreasing the morale of Beastmen in that zone(Beastmen NPCs would also try to contest these zones too, if they won they'd be much stronger).

It was an interesting system, haven't seen it since, and AoC is pretty similar to this.

Sorry for the rant! TL;DR: Enjoy PvP with some Light PvP without consequences; PvP for the most part always comes off as a pointless event to me in most MMOs, because of the lack of impact it has on the world as a whole.

This is where AoC will help convert you to some PvP I believe, because taking a city can bring you benefits to try and help, and Defending it for your benefits you will be all hands on deck I'm sure so you won't lose it.

I can see your point in jsut random world PvP, that's why there should be areas clearly marked for PvP, so if you go in there you're warned.
  • I just want tanks to protect me while I gather ginger to make a tea. :p
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ryufu wrote: »
    Data? I like data
    Click on the link it will show results once you've voted

• xXBelocXxxXBelocXx Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Interesting poll. Out of the 21 votes 58% are PvE focused. Doesnt surprise me really since the majority of the players who play MMOs such as these are looking for community not "hardcore" competitiveness. Now do this poll on a LoL, Heroes of the Storm, Rust, etc forum and you would have the opposite outcome I do believe. But then again, the people who tend to play those games are people who are looking for that "hardcore" PvP action.

What type am I? I am a PvE player that will PvP to support or serve a purpose. Am I going to go out for there shear purpose to "pop me some greenies" or "gank other players"? No. But I will PvP to defend my town or any other reason to preserve my PvE play style.
    Ya to be honest I thought I woul see more PvP'ers, maybe they're busy killing I will check it later :)
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Give me some gems, and I will maybe give you some nice shiny trinkets.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im just here for the bodies
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • In my youth I was a PvP Monster. But the older I get, the more I love PvE and what it has to offer. I'll probably spend most of my time crafting and doing PvE stuff, dipping my toes into PvP to help others.
    PvP % is picking up but still PVE leading the way!
  • JexzJexz Member
    If I could get away with 100% PvP I would and will. But I think I will have to raid to keep competitive. I only hope there is balance. That I don't have to spend 99% of my time raiding so I can enjoy 1% PvP. I hope they design it in a way that Raiding, PvP and Artisanry are all competitive for time spent and money earned but I bet raiding will dominate.
    I like the idea of defending caravans but I can't see it being competitive to raiding. I don't want to just grief people and steal their progress. Just find PvP way more engaging than PvE.
    The most fun PvP I have in other games is usually open world GvG's the design problem I see with PvP is that it is usually lots of fun but usually yields no rewards at all.
    This game is heavily focused on risk V reward . I'm hoping for a game that is Fun and rewarding. Anything less is a chore.
    the results so far and it's incredible how balanced it is, what really sticks out is NO ONE is opposed to Either PvP or PVE, there is a few votes for only crafter.
  • Sandman wrote: »
    I loved DAoC, Warhammer online but not for their PVE, hated trials of Atlantis. PVE was just a means to a end for me.

That's why I was curious so when I see people reactions to post I can get a gauge on what type of community we have so I can understand better.

Ah, that means you probably played DAoC around the same time I did! I will be the first to agree that BOTH DAoC's PvE and crafting were....primitive.....BUT then you have forgotten the perfect place in DAoC, Darkness Falls. It blended the 2 together perfectly imho. I loved that you could have your portal cut off and at any time the enemy could be coming at any moment to get you. The remaining would bind together and defend on a more personal level. Then there were the lower levels that were all about killing incredible creatures with a zerg. Only thing I regret is never participating in taking on Legion :( Oh my gosh, I spent the majority of my time either in there or taking keeps so I could get back in there. Good times.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Sandman wrote: »

Ah, that means you probably played DAoC around the same time I did! I will be the first to agree that BOTH DAoC's PvE and crafting were....primitive.....BUT then you have forgotten the perfect place in DAoC, Darkness Falls. It blended the 2 together perfectly imho. I loved that you could have your portal cut off and at any time the enemy could be coming at any moment to get you. The remaining would bind together and defend on a more personal level. Then there were the lower levels that were all about killing incredible creatures with a zerg. Only thing I regret is never participating in taking on Legion :( Oh my gosh, I spent the majority of my time either in there or taking keeps so I could get back in there. Good times.

Oh no I loved darkness falls, if I needed seals that's where I went. The PvP aspect of darkness falls when it flipped hands was so great. Then you would always have enmies log out in there and suddenly they log in and the enemy has it, then they go killing :)
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I really get a negative feeling when I see the word "hardcore" makes it seem like your doing it because you have too, instead of because doing it because you want too.

I will be primarily PVE, with a significant time investment in consensual meaningful PVP. I am looking forward to node sieges, castle sieges, caravan defense, strategic caravan assaults, arenas, battlegrounds, and the occasional impromptu lets go kill the bad guy (corrupted) roam.
  • KebenKeben Member
    edited August 2020
    I've always been more of a PvE player in MMOs. I grew up with D&D and reading fantasy novels so I like the feeling of exploring a world and braving a dungeon with some friends. That's how it used to be anyway, nowadays the trend is to only care for item levels and dps meters and who can bring the biggest numbers. Of course all content must be cleared as fast as possible and there's no savouring any of the actual experience of it.

That brings me to PvP which in MMOs is always inherently unbalanced. If you've spent 100 hours getting gear, you will always eventually fight someone who's spent 200 hours. If the other player is half decent you won't win no matter how skilled you are, but you will crush someone who is newly max leveled with no challenge. Open world PvP usually boils down to who has the most players in the area, again not much skill involved when it's 5v2 or you gank someone fighting 2 mobs.. So I see PvP it as a fun little side activity sometimes but there's no real satisfaction to be had there.
  • BoomBoom Member
    PVE, Crafting, and RP.

PVP depends. I don't like planned arena style PVP. World PVP is a different animal. The thrill of the hunt. Keeping an eye out around you in a forest to make sure you aren't being followed. Stumbling upon a trail of dead carcasses and following them to an unsuspecting enemy. Staying off the main roads when travelling to avoid being mugged by some hooligans. That's my style of PVP. It's more natural, and to me it feels more rewarding. I love the adrenaline and fear rushing through my veins; My heart is pounding while listening for footsteps. The casual encounter with the enemy. Will they attack me? Do I want to attack them? If we're just here passing through, there may not be need for it. Perhaps we decide it's our kings who are at war with each other, not ourselves. Mayhaps they make an aggressive move towards me and force my hand, mayhaps. :)

Stuff like capture the flag seems out of world for me. Although, having a unique created sport in game for players to participate in could be fun.
    Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen
    jubilum wrote: »
    I really get a negative feeling when I see the word "hardcore" makes it seem like your doing it because you have too, instead of because doing it because you want too.

I will be primarily PVE, with a significant time investment in consensual meaningful PVP. I am looking forward to node sieges, castle sieges, caravan defense, strategic caravan assaults, arenas, battlegrounds, and the occasional impromptu lets go kill the bad guy (corrupted) roam.

"Hardcore" is a choice, it's because they "Want" to play a lot. it's not a dirty word haha
  • XyphienXyphien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hardcore PVE will do PVP if needed, only because "I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING" isn't an option.
  • As long as the PvP isn't incredibly stupidly balanced I'll hardcore the entire game. I don't really know what I'll focus on that the game isn't out yet though. I might like the crafting more than the PvE or PvP for all I know.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I enjoy all aspects.

What I focus on tends to be determined by the needs of the game, and what has the greatest time consumption needed.

Crafting is a fun thing for me and I like to be able to craft everything for myself, not sure if that will be possible in this game though so it'll be an interesting change for me to specialize and rely on others.

PvP is a touchy area but since this game will revolve around a dynamic PVP and PvE progression in each node/zone area it will obviously be a very high focal point for everyone.

PvE seems to be 100% neccessary in order to progress the stages of zones/cities and unlock more content and areas for both pve and pvp

So it seems to me this game has actually (in theory) managed to build a game where all aspects of the game are interdependent on each other to cultivate a sort of "wheel" of PvE, PvP, and resource/crafting

• They have said they want to tone down on instantly killing other players of relative close standard. That alone will at least make me not hate PvP from the get go. In WoW if you didn't do the best content asap these days in the first like 3 days of release. Then Players who did will be able to hit you so hard it overkills you twice over.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East