Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DPS Meter Megathread

Comments

• Options
    @Noaani

Why do you keep repeating stuff like "there's no way to figure out what's going on" when I've suggested several ways to know what's going on to you already. We've had this talk several times.

And it boils down to "well we're hacking the servers either way bud". Doubt it, but you might sure LMAO. Talking about ToS after talking about stealing information from the server like jesus fucking christ what kind of schizophrenic two faced shit is this.

It's not worth discussing because you want to bullshit, threaten, and lie for whatever chimp motivation of yours.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Deadfool wrote: »
    I see people moaning about not having a combat tracker included in the game

Right from that introduction, you are incorrect.

We are arguing that Intrepid should be bold and include one, but not moaning.

The argument is basically that players that want a tracker will have one, and that may create an uneven playing field. The only way for Intrepid to balance it out is to give everyone access to a tracker - and the only way to do that is to implement one in to the game.

You wont see all that "QQing" that you are looking forward to, because those of us that actually want a tracker will have one. This fact isnt really up for debate at this point, as we are already tracking combat from developer update videos.

---

I dont really consider it all that important to defend combat trackers. While they are misused in some situations in some games, all it means to me if someone thinks that misuse is the bulk of situations is that this player only played those few games, and was mostly in those situations.

This is basically LFG/LFR in WoW.

From there, if a poster can not see that the issue was actually the fact that the game treated players as disposable, and so players treated each other as disposable, then there is no way I can use logic to convince this person of anything. The fact that there are many games out there that allow trackers and where many player use them - yet that dont see those same issues at all - that is completely over the heads of these people, and so I see no value in trying to convince them.

Well this is a comment that i can agree on. There is no need to discuss about it further because there will be a combat tracker for people that want it, if intrepid includes it or not.

If you feel no need to discuss it further, that's great. Some of the rest of us still do, however.

I do have two questions for you though, feel free to not bother answering if you like.

If trackers are going to exist in Ashes for anyone that wants to use them, would you consider it an unfair advantage if you lost to someone that uses one? I mean, it IS an advantage, the question is whether or not it is unfair.

Second, if you do consider it an unfair advantage, can you think of any better way for Intrepid to even that advantage out other than adding a combat tracker to the game? Keep in mind, trackers for Ashes are a given - we are looking for a solution that keeps this in mind.

I think i have already mentioned the fact that IF Intrepid includes combat tracker in the game, i WILL use it. Because i like to be and stay competitive. (or at least keep up with a majority of top players)
    But if Intrepid won't include a combat tracker, i am not worried as much because we all know that 3rd party trackers are not completely accurate.
    My problem with having a tracker isn't in the advantage it provides, but with the toxicity it brings along with it (not with everyone tho, i need to be fair). Look at FFIXV as an example and the toxicity the tracker brought to the game (this problem is much deeper than anyone realise).

My solution to both of the cases if Intrepid includes the tracker or not:

-Guild or party leaders should have less control of who is accepted or kicked from a guild/party (since people claim to use the tracker for personal growth only).

-If a player is removed from a guild/party/raid/etc... leader should submit a reason why a certain player is being removed (example: -toxic behavior, afking, not following leaders directions, etc...). If a player needs to be removed from a guild, party, raid, etc... players within that group should vote on it and if 50% or 60% of players agree on removing that person, only then can a leader remove a player from a certain group.

-Any abuse of a combat tracker should be a bannable offense, if the tracker is not used for personal growth only. The abuser would get the account suspended twice for a certain period of time, third time it would be a permanent IP ban. Or if that seems a bit too harsh for Intrepid, they should at least deny the usage of the tracker to that account (at least).

... you get the idea, but i doubt anyone that uses a combat tracker will agree with this because we all know that most of them don't use the tracker only for personal growth.

I know that people will argue with this and say "ohh yea well how would you implement this system... it's not so easy to do that you know..."
    To those people i would like to say this:
    Shut up Snowflake. The game itself is much harder to make than a simple system that would keep combat tracker users in their place and prevent them from abusing it.
    If Intrepid Studios decides to include a combat tracker in their game, it is also their responsibility to protect the playerbase from causing them harm.
    Lets face it. You and i both know in what ways can a combat tracker harm a casual player.

So anyone that wants a combat tracker in this game, think of a way how could Intrepid Studios prevent players from abusing it, instead of just stating reasons why YOU need it included in a game.

I hope that with this comment, my involvment in this discussion is over because it's really not going anywhere.
    Go create a new discussion where people can send ideas about how to keep toxic combat tracker users in check. And btw, i consider "i see in my combat tracker that this person is not performing well enough to be in our guild or party" as a toxic behavior.
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
    Drinking refreshing snowflakes tears
  • Options
    Also, Intrepid can include somekind of menu in the game where players would have all of the gear in the game avalible, to check how a certain new piece of gear would affect their current character stats.

English is not my native language, so i don't know how much of what i just said makes sense... If it doesn't make sense at all, i apologize. I tried my best xD
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
  • Options
    I see people moaning about not having a combat tracker included in the game

Right from that introduction, you are incorrect.

We are arguing that Intrepid should be bold and include one, but not moaning.

The argument is basically that players that want a tracker will have one, and that may create an uneven playing field. The only way for Intrepid to balance it out is to give everyone access to a tracker - and the only way to do that is to implement one in to the game.

You wont see all that "QQing" that you are looking forward to, because those of us that actually want a tracker will have one. This fact isnt really up for debate at this point, as we are already tracking combat from developer update videos.

---

I dont really consider it all that important to defend combat trackers. While they are misused in some situations in some games, all it means to me if someone thinks that misuse is the bulk of situations is that this player only played those few games, and was mostly in those situations.

This is basically LFG/LFR in WoW.

From there, if a poster can not see that the issue was actually the fact that the game treated players as disposable, and so players treated each other as disposable, then there is no way I can use logic to convince this person of anything. The fact that there are many games out there that allow trackers and where many player use them - yet that dont see those same issues at all - that is completely over the heads of these people, and so I see no value in trying to convince them.

Well this is a comment that i can agree on. There is no need to discuss about it further because there will be a combat tracker for people that want it, if intrepid includes it or not.

If you feel no need to discuss it further, that's great. Some of the rest of us still do, however.

I do have two questions for you though, feel free to not bother answering if you like.

If trackers are going to exist in Ashes for anyone that wants to use them, would you consider it an unfair advantage if you lost to someone that uses one? I mean, it IS an advantage, the question is whether or not it is unfair.

Second, if you do consider it an unfair advantage, can you think of any better way for Intrepid to even that advantage out other than adding a combat tracker to the game? Keep in mind, trackers for Ashes are a given - we are looking for a solution that keeps this in mind.
    My solution to both of the cases if Intrepid includes the tracker or not:

-Guild or party leaders should have less control of who is accepted or kicked from a guild/party (since people claim to use the tracker for personal growth only).

What if players would have the possibility to vote, just like electing the mayor, to allow or ban the usage of trackers?
    Because citizenship is bound to all alts of that player, that would affect the player not the character.

Also how would it be if this vote would happen for the entire server instead of just a node?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    @Strevi i think that could be up to GMs to decide internally
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    Strevi wrote: »
    What if players would have the possibility to vote, just like electing the mayor, to allow or ban the usage of trackers?
    Because citizenship is bound to all alts of that player, that would affect the player not the character.

Also how would it be if this vote would happen for the entire server instead of just a node?

Then there would be trackers/parsers that use streams/videos, and can't be stopped. It's just "What if they ban trackers?", but applied to servers instead of universally. External trackers will be written and used, instead of the game's provided tracker. You don't get the benefit of "tracker players will move to a different server" because no-one is going to start over from level 1 just because their server changed it's mind eventually. They'll just write the ACT (not Ashes Client) plugin, and start parsing their combat video (on their other PC, if need be).

Remember that the goal of the "Pro Tracker" group here is not to have trackers for themselves. It is to remove their own competitive advantage by letting everyone have them, so the game is more fair. The ones that just want their own don't bother to post here, because you can't stop them.

The other idea proposed by the "Pro Tracker" group here, as you know, is to have trackers be guild-based. This lets people who want to "not be tracked" easily group with like-minded individuals who are encouraged by the system to respect their preferences. This only works if there is an in-game tracker provided (which doesn't happen if a server, or even node, eventually votes to turn it off). This provides a protection against more powerful external trackers by making it not worth the effort to write one. As a result, the "I will join a guild without the tracker perk" means the tracker will respect your limitation.

This is possible only because of the convenience of having a tracker provided. If it is more convenient to join a guild with trackers enabled, than for one player in the world to write a tracker for Ashes, then that is what will happen.

If an in-game tracker is not provided, is later voted away by the node or server, or is made too difficult to access by players who are interested, then an external tracker will be created because it is no longer pointless to do so. This works for tracker players, but removes ability for others to avoid trackers by choosing to play in a guild without the tracker perk, because there is now an external tracker available will not respect that limitation.

It's work to write an external tracker, but it's not that much work, and once one exists it will be shared. If you make it more convenient to not bother, you can do thing like have tracker-free guilds. If you don't, you lose even that option.

And so to finally address your question directly:

If a guild has a choice between "leave a node we have each invested hundreds of hours in, because they now voted to ban trackers" and "our programmer spends 30 hours writing a tracker as this week's hobby project", they're not gonna choose "abandon our node".

If a guild has a choice between "leave a server we have each invested thousands of hours in, and maybe have world firsts on, because they now voted to ban trackers" and "our programmer spends 30 hours writing a tracker as this week's hobby project", they're not gonna choose "abandon our server".

In any case where you say "no trackers allowed", or even "we'll only give you one if you give up your home" (node/server/etc), you're going to have external trackers that you don't control. The only "lever" you get is the temptation of convenience. It's not that hard to write an external tracker.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited October 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    He says he isn't capable of communicating as a group to clear content in cells.
    Show anyone where I said that.

A combat tracker isn't a substitute for communication within a group or raid. Your suggestion that it may be simply tells everyone that you don't know anything about how groups or raids actually function - my assumption is that you have never actually played an MMO, based on your apparent knowledge of them.

Worse than that, your assertion that I am saying that I don't or won't communicate with others in my group or raid tells everyone that you are more than willing to outright lie if you think it may further your cause. Our discussion has gone far past any point where you could make the honest mistake to think that I am saying this.

Honestly, that is what you are doing here - outright lying in order to try and further your position in an argument on the Internet.

Since they are your actions here, and since actions define the person, that is the kind of person you are.

If you wish to refute this point that the above is the kind of person you are, literally all you need to do is quote me where I said I would use a combat tracker in place of communication with players in my group or raid.

We have gone over this you have said that already lmao. You are forgetting other discussions about content which is fine.

I get you are mad and are missing the "in cells" part. Like i said we have gone over this in action combat to tab about having other people help call things out and work together, rather than just the main raid leader calling things out. You deemed you can't do that, which is naïve at best.

I've played more mmorpgs then you, and honestly if you are looking at trackers data most the time i don't view that as playing a mmorpg.

You have so many bad takes you don't realize what you are saying. and there are hundreds of pages, not going to go find the post where you start arguing you cant do that and saying it is stupid lol.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

Then there would be trackers/parsers that use streams/videos, and can't be stopped. It's just "What if they ban trackers?", but applied to servers instead of universally. External trackers will be written and used, instead of the game's provided tracker. You don't get the benefit of "tracker players will move to a different server" because no-one is going to start over from level 1 just because their server changed it's mind eventually. They'll just write the ACT (not Ashes Client) plugin, and start parsing their combat video (on their other PC, if need be).

Remember that the goal of the "Pro Tracker" group here is not to have trackers for themselves. It is to remove their own competitive advantage by letting everyone have them, so the game is more fair. The ones that just want their own don't bother to post here, because you can't stop them.

The other idea proposed by the "Pro Tracker" group here, as you know, is to have trackers be guild-based. This lets people who want to "not be tracked" easily group with like-minded individuals who are encouraged by the system to respect their preferences. This only works if there is an in-game tracker provided (which doesn't happen if a server, or even node, eventually votes to turn it off). This provides a protection against more powerful external trackers by making it not worth the effort to write one. As a result, the "I will join a guild without the tracker perk" means the tracker will respect your limitation.

This is possible only because of the convenience of having a tracker provided. If it is more convenient to join a guild with trackers enabled, than for one player in the world to write a tracker for Ashes, then that is what will happen.

If an in-game tracker is not provided, is later voted away by the node or server, or is made too difficult to access by players who are interested, then an external tracker will be created because it is no longer pointless to do so. This works for tracker players, but removes ability for others to avoid trackers by choosing to play in a guild without the tracker perk, because there is now an external tracker available will not respect that limitation.

It's work to write an external tracker, but it's not that much work, and once one exists it will be shared. If you make it more convenient to not bother, you can do thing like have tracker-free guilds. If you don't, you lose even that option.

And so to finally address your question directly:

If a guild has a choice between "leave a node we have each invested hundreds of hours in, because they now voted to ban trackers" and "our programmer spends 30 hours writing a tracker as this week's hobby project", they're not gonna choose "abandon our node".

If a guild has a choice between "leave a server we have each invested thousands of hours in, and maybe have world firsts on, because they now voted to ban trackers" and "our programmer spends 30 hours writing a tracker as this week's hobby project", they're not gonna choose "abandon our server".

In any case where you say "no trackers allowed", or even "we'll only give you one if you give up your home" (node/server/etc), you're going to have external trackers that you don't control. The only "lever" you get is the temptation of convenience. It's not that hard to write an external tracker.

You are right, a server wide setting, decided by players would be bad.
    But if only 30 hours are enough to make a tracker then I think 3rd party trackers will happen anyway. 30 hours is a really short time.
    Not everyone's addiction is so high that they cannot take a break from the game for 30h.
    And if Deadfool is correct
    Sapiverenus it will also give you a chance to get your account suspended for a certain period of time if 3rd party tools wouldn't be allowed.

This is something I have gone in to far more detail than I would want to go in.

A software developer can only prevent you from using tools that interact with their software.

Since combat trackers are generally stand alone applications, they cant do anything about it.

Further to this point, a combat tracker doesnt even need to be run while the game client is being run. It is perfectly viable to run a tracker after the fact - it is also viable to run it on a different computer to the one the game client is on. I am sure you would agree that software running on a totally different computer is out of the scope of any terms of service for any software.

Yep, i completely agree. But as you mentioned before, they are not completely accurate. In some cases they are straight up terrible xD

then an in-game tracker would help increasing the accuracy of the 3rd party ones, which would have more features anyway than the game offers.

The common view is that trackers help players to get better gear. The ones without trackers will get it later or not get it at all, depending on gear uniqueness and raid difficulty.

That means there is no way or obvious way to balance the game for both tracker and non-tracker players and many non-trackers will switch to be trackers because that is what the game rewards with better items.

Is worse than the pinned thread about the PvP-ers vs gatherers where at least the winner side is supposed to be more skilled (unless he got the gear using trackers).

Anyway, until AoC comes out we will see other attempts too, like the Throne and Liberty mmo. Maybe they have new ideas about this. Or maybe they delayed the release because they follow this thread and we found no solution yet :lol:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Anyway, until AoC comes out we will see other attempts too, like the Throne and Liberty mmo. Maybe they have new ideas about this. Or maybe they delayed the release because they follow this thread and we found no solution yet :lol:

Why would Throne and Liberty bother to make Trackers unavailable though?

For a game to do this, they would have to think it matters for some reason. Since that's not actually an obvious conclusion to everyone (particularly not Korean MMO creators), they might just... not care at all about parser/tracker options.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

For a game to do this, they would have to think it matters for some reason. Since that's not actually an obvious conclusion to everyone (particularly not Korean MMO creators), they might just... not care at all about parser/tracker options.

Maybe they might be like the kind of managers I hate the most. :trollface: When I go to interviews they hire me only if I allow them to track my performance and they give me higher salary only if I work every day of the week.
    I wonder if Steven will kick that developer out from his guild, who made those birds not be scared of him and not fly away.

I was watching the League of Legends stream https://lolesports.com/vod/108998961199240256/1/vnEYQS4k1nM

That's how players should earn their unique legendary gear :smile:
    In special rooms with computers prepared in advance and watched by the entire world. (I wonder if they test them for how much coffee they have in their blood.)
    These rooms would also solve the problem when owning intelligent androids sometime in 100 years will be a common thing... until genetically modified players will be created.

But maybe Throne and Liberty will not want to have a competitive raid system where the most skilled will get good items, but the ones who can afford buying something from an in-game shop too for real money. Which is also a competition but with real life skills.
  • Options

Maybe they might be like the kind of managers I hate the most. :trollface: When I go to interviews they hire me only if I allow them to track my performance and they give me higher salary only if I work every day of the week.
    I wonder if Steven will kick that developer out from his guild, who made those birds not be scared of him and not fly away.

I was watching the League of Legends stream https://lolesports.com/vod/108998961199240256/1/vnEYQS4k1nM

That's how players should earn their unique legendary gear :smile:
    In special rooms with computers prepared in advance and watched by the entire world. (I wonder if they test them for how much coffee they have in their blood.)
    These rooms would also solve the problem when owning intelligent androids sometime in 100 years will be a common thing... until genetically modified players will be created.

But maybe Throne and Liberty will not want to have a competitive raid system where the most skilled will get good items, but the ones who can afford buying something from an in-game shop too for real money. Which is also a competition but with real life skills.

We'll see on that end.

The Combat in TL is a different skilltype requirement, though, so they probably won't care as much about these.

I parsed their latest data for Frames, not damage (though the damage numbers do appear in a cleanly parse-able way).

I really don't think TL is going to care who parses what, given their game design.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani

Why do you keep repeating stuff like "there's no way to figure out what's going on" when I've suggested several ways to know what's going on to you already. We've had this talk several times.

And it boils down to "well we're hacking the servers either way bud". Doubt it, but you might sure LMAO. Talking about ToS after talking about stealing information from the server like jesus fucking christ what kind of schizophrenic two faced shit is this.

It's not worth discussing because you want to bullshit, threaten, and lie for whatever chimp motivation of yours.

Your suggestions for ways to make it so a person can tell what is going on just by looking around all amount to "let's make the game shit".

If you were put in charge of Nascar or something, and you were given a problem to solve, your solution would be "lers just make the cars all drive slower". That is the equivalent of what you have suggested here.

You may accept that as a solution, I do not.

As to "hacking the server", not quite. The point I was making there was that removing all numerical feedback from players would simply see players leave - but still wouldn't stop people getting information if they really wanted it. I guess that went well over your head.
  • Options
    But if Intrepid won't include a combat tracker, i am not worried as much because we all know that 3rd party trackers are not completely accurate.
    In my experience, the only "inaccuracy" a third party tracker has is in relation to range. If combat is taking place too far away to be logged on your client, obviously the tracker wont be able to use the data.

This is why some guilds run a server where all guild members have their log sent to, and it merges all logs in to one in order to run through a tracker.

You cited toxicity in FFXIV around trackers, but that toxicity was caused by the developer. People thought they were against the rules, and so thought people using them were cheating. While they were technically against the wishes of the developers, they never had any rules (that were able to be acted upon) against their use.

Looking over this thread, we already have a whole lot of that. We don't even have the rules to read yet, and already people are claiming that because Steven has said he won't support trackers, those of us stating we will use them are breaking those same rules we don't even have.

In this situation, there absolutely is toxicity around trackers, but that toxicity is coming directly from those not using them and mislabeling those using them as cheaters.

This segues in nicely to my thoughts about your rules on trackers. They are all one sided. Every rule there is about limiting what people using trackers can do, and how they are sometimes - in some games - toxic towards others. There is nothing at all there going the other way.

With your rules, if I join a group of players that I know want to be efficient, and I purposely slow them down, your rules prevent them from doing anything at all about it. They can't boot me from the group, because that is not using the tracker for "personal growth".

Further, if I start up a group and decide I want to boot someone because they are annoying me, I shouldn't need to justify that to anyone. Nor should I need the approval of the rest of the group (however, they are free to make their own decisions on if they leave or stay). Your rules make it so that I need to justify this decision to *someone*, and put my account at risk if the answer given was not acceptable.

I think your whole concept of rules are being based on the notion of automatic group formation (LFG/LFR type situations). They kind of make some sense in that regard (though only if content lockouts are involved), but make absolutely no sense in terms of a player looking for people to join a group to run a piece of content.

To me, if any action taken with data from a tracker would be within the rules if no tracker were involved, I see no reason at all why the presence of a tracker would suddenly make it against the rules. The rules around toxicity should involve the act of being toxic, not the method for getting there.

That said, Ashes is going to be a toxic game. People should be more concerned with being kicked from a group in a dungeon so that the people they grouped with can kill them and take some of the stuff they gained as drops, rather than being concerned that they are being booted because of poor performance.
  • Options
    We have gone over this you have said that already lmao. You are forgetting other discussions about content which is fine.
    No we haven't. If we had, you would have quoted it.
    I get you are mad and are missing the "in cells" part. Like i said we have gone over this in action combat to tab about having other people help call things out and work together, rather than just the main raid leader calling things out. You deemed you can't do that, which is naïve at best.
    I believe I said you have no idea how raids work - not that it can not be done.

You can't break a raid up in to "cells" in most content, because people need to be moving all over the place.

In top end content, if there is someone calling out every ability that an encounter uses, then no one would be able to hear a damn thing over the sound of everyone yelling shit out. What you do is you work out what abilities the boss has that NEED to be called out, and you task someone with calling those abilities out - someone that doesn't have other tasks they need to perform that could see them rendered unable to call out said ability.

Since each guild is different in terms of what abilities they want called out (in games that are not WoW, at least), you need to work out what each ability is actually doing before you work out which ones you want called out.

The way to work that out is to see what each ability does, and how often it does it, and the easiest way to do that is to use a combat tracker.

You seem to think combat trackers do more than what they actually do. You seem to think they are performing all of the tasks above, rather than just the initial task of assisting the raid in working out what each ability does. It is comments like these that make me think you have never played an MMORPG at all - and your constant statements of "I've played more MMO's than you" simply makes me think you are a school kid, telling us all how your dad could beat my dad.
    I've played more mmorpgs then you, and honestly if you are looking at trackers data most the time i don't view that as playing a mmorpg.
    Neither do I.

I never look at data while I am playing the game. I've said that AT LEAST a dozen times in discussion with you.
    and there are hundreds of pages, not going to go find the post where you start arguing you cant do that and saying it is stupid lol.
    I mean, there are tools to make finding it easier. All you need to do is remember a single word that either you or I said in regards to that discussion and search the thread for it.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited October 2022
    Noaani

Your suggestions for ways to make it so a person can tell what is going on just by looking around all amount to "let's make the game shit".

If you were put in charge of Nascar or something, and you were given a problem to solve, your solution would be "lers just make the cars all drive slower". That is the equivalent of what you have suggested here.

You may accept that as a solution, I do not.

As to "hacking the server", not quite. The point I was making there was that removing all numerical feedback from players would simply see players leave - but still wouldn't stop people getting information if they really wanted it. I guess that went well over your head.

"Getting it if they really wanted it" -- From the servers. Yes. . . right. . . with tools such as one would use when hacking I bet.

Depends on the dev team and analyst team whether you'll reverse engineer it though.
    Point is it should be grounded enough without numbers that people can figure out how it works and be effective.

And without server side info, dynamic content and high variability to mobs there is no "reverse engineered tracker" LMAO you just have to look at what's happening and figure it out. Sure you can get an add-on but it would be useless compared to what the game already provides in the way of information.
  • Options
    "Getting it if they really wanted it" -- From the servers. Yes. . . right. . . with tools such as one would use when hacking I bet.
    Yeah, but at this point we are talking about a dead game. That is the point I was making - your suggestion will kill the game before it would stop people using combat trackers.

Do you understand that yet?
  • Options
    Yeah, but at this point we are talking about a dead game. That is the point I was making - your suggestion will kill the game before it would stop people using combat trackers.

Does repeating it make it true yet?

Just making sure.
  • Options

Just making sure.

Just making sure you understand.

If you remove all numerical combat feedback from players, the only players that would be left playing the game are those that are completely un-invested in said game. Anyone invested in the game, or even just wanting to improve at the games they play - would simply go elsewhere.

Sure, YOU may play, but you've spent a few weeks telling us all how you don't even like games and don't even play them. You are exactly the kind of un-invested player that may stick around.

We can even go one full step back from this and point out that all of this is simply nothing more than you having a fantasy about the game. We know the game will have a combat log - yet you keep repeating this fantasy of yours where it doesn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Just making sure.

If you remove all numerical combat feedback from players, the only players that would be left playing the game are those that are completely un-invested in said game. Anyone invested in the game, or even just wanting to improve at the games they play - would simply go elsewhere.

Sure, YOU may play, but you've spent a few weeks telling us all how you don't even like games and don't even play them. You are exactly the kind of un-invested player that may stick around.

We can even go one full step back from this and point out that all of this is simply nothing more than you having a fantasy about the game. We know the game will have a combat log - yet you keep repeating this fantasy of yours where it doesn't.

Next I will suggest some "numerical transparency" that amounts to some UI or visual update of damage done, healing, whatever.
    The next steps after this from you are, "any amount of numerical transparency, such as UI that updates from reaching certain thresholds of damage, will make the game easy to reverse engineer"
    Then after all the various ways I suggest the game can be difficult to reverse engineer while still providing information, you say, "dead game"

Yet this process could continue on and on until it is both difficult to reverse engineer and transparent enough to players to be understandable and enjoyable.

All the while adding in new mechanics, grounding feedback, immersion, so on and so forth.

Even resulting in a game that counters bots and braindeadness, while also rewarding deep and grounded intuition, which would make insights and excellence more impressive. . .

Fin
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Just making sure.

Next I will suggest some "numerical transparency" that amounts to some UI or visual update of damage done, healing, whatever.
    The next steps after this from you are, "any amount of numerical transparency, such as UI that updates from reaching certain thresholds of damage, will make the game easy to reverse engineer"
    Then after all the various ways I suggest the game can be difficult to reverse engineer while still providing information, you say, "dead game"

Yet this process could continue on and on until it is both difficult to reverse engineer and transparent enough to players to be understandable and enjoyable.

All the while adding in new mechanics, grounding feedback, immersion, so on and so forth.

Even resulting in a game that counters bots and braindeadness, while also rewarding deep and grounded intuition, which would make insights and excellence more impressive. . .

Fin

This is still just your fantasy where the game doesn't have a combat log.

I'm sure that you will - one day - join the rest of us in reality.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The problem is... if you give players information, then trackers also have that same information. The days when there were things that are easy for humans to read and properly hard for computers to read are long past. And this doesn't apply only to text.
  • Options
    No we haven't. If we had, you would have quoted it.
    I believe I said you have no idea how raids work - not that it can not be done.

You can't break a raid up in to "cells" in most content, because people need to be moving all over the place.

In top end content, if there is someone calling out every ability that an encounter uses, then no one would be able to hear a damn thing over the sound of everyone yelling shit out. What you do is you work out what abilities the boss has that NEED to be called out, and you task someone with calling those abilities out - someone that doesn't have other tasks they need to perform that could see them rendered unable to call out said ability.

Since each guild is different in terms of what abilities they want called out (in games that are not WoW, at least), you need to work out what each ability is actually doing before you work out which ones you want called out.

The way to work that out is to see what each ability does, and how often it does it, and the easiest way to do that is to use a combat tracker.

You seem to think combat trackers do more than what they actually do. You seem to think they are performing all of the tasks above, rather than just the initial task of assisting the raid in working out what each ability does. It is comments like these that make me think you have never played an MMORPG at all - and your constant statements of "I've played more MMO's than you" simply makes me think you are a school kid, telling us all how your dad could beat my dad.
    Neither do I.

I never look at data while I am playing the game. I've said that AT LEAST a dozen times in discussion with you.
    and there are hundreds of pages, not going to go find the post where you start arguing you cant do that and saying it is stupid lol.
    I mean, there are tools to make finding it easier. All you need to do is remember a single word that either you or I said in regards to that discussion and search the thread for it.

You have you can look through your old post it is there.

Your most goes by to your typical mind set make makes sense on wanting to control people and situations, right in line with listen to me or get booted out of the guild or dungeon kind of toxic mentality.

When did I say a tracker tells you what is going on in the middle of combat, i haven't. That would be the next step where you have combat assistance though.

When did i say ever member is speaking over each other, pretty bad assumption there.

Funny you should talk about school kids and this is your got to insult about mmo expereince, this is the pattern of things you constantly say so you can agree with me how childish and toxic you act. We have already been here before but maybe you wilkl start to realize ignoring my mmo experience is stupid for you to just blatantly say actual nonsense. -
    my assumption is that you have never actually played an MMO, based on your apparent knowledge of them.

I could most likely find more quotes of your go to talking about mmo experience as you say it is chidlish by your own words :)

ANYWAY....

for action camera players you can communicate with each other and share information it isn't a problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    SongRune wrote: »

The problem is... if you give players information, then trackers also have that same information. The days when there were things that are easy for humans to read and properly hard for computers to read are long past. And this doesn't apply only to text.

Only things you know you've been handed by others.

There's no point speculating nonsense based in ignorant incompetence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CfR3Wpz7Y
    Noaani wrote:

It's a project by a dude. In reality. In reality -> people aren't Laws of the Universe outside of anyone's reach.

Do you think the prospect is good, or bad? Is the goal itself bad to you?

Fin.
  • Options
    You have you can look through your old post it is there.
    It isn't. I never said it - because it isn't how I would play a game.

You may have assumed it, but that is a result of your pre-conceived opinion on trackers and people that use them, an opinion that is not formed on any actual knowledge.

That is why you can't find it - and the fact you can't find it is why you can't quote it.
    When did I say a tracker tells you what is going on in the middle of combat, i haven't. That would be the next step where you have combat assistance though.
    This is incorrect.

A combat assistant would perform an action in game for you.
    When did i say ever member is speaking over each other, pretty bad assumption there.
    If you are suggesting that people call out abilities without actually having a good idea of what abilities they need to call out, you are saying exactly this, just without knowing you are saying it.

There are so many abilities going off so often, that it would absolutely be a case of players talking over each other.

This is why the only abilities a raid calls are the abilities that the raid has decided they need to coordinate in order to overcome. Again, this is different per raid, and depends on things like class, gear, build and specific player skill of those present. Raids decide which abilities need to be called based on how they decide to tackle each ability. They make that call based on hard data about each ability a boss has.

Bring this back to your assertion that I would use a combat tracker in place of communication. Explain to me how that holds any truth at all to you when I am using a combat tracker to make sure clear communication is able to happen.
  • Options

It's a project by a dude. In reality. In reality -> people aren't Laws of the Universe outside of anyone's reach.

Steven has said the game will have combat logs.

Until he says otherwise, we work on the assumption the game will have combat logs.

Any time you say "how about we ignore this aspect of the game that Intrepid have talked about" you may as well be talking about another game.

When you start stringing many such things together (as you have done), you are talking about a fantasy game.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Until he says otherwise, we work on the assumption the game will have combat logs.

Any time you say "how about we ignore this aspect of the game that Intrepid have talked about" you may as well be talking about another game.

When you start stringing many such things together (as you have done), you are talking about a fantasy game.

Talking about the genre as a whole and a small part of it is plenty appropriate in its scope and subject.

All I've strung together is a somewhat cohesive design choice that may feature in an MMORPG, that would fit in Ashes of Creation while shitting on many problems the genre, game, and players would otherwise face.
    Of course, it would also be more immersive and open up gameplay opportunities.

Do you think it's good as part of the genre or not.
    Do you think it's good as part of the game's direction or not.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote:

Fin.

Talking about the genre as a whole and a small part of it is plenty appropriate in its scope and subject.

All I've strung together is a somewhat cohesive design for an MMORPG that would fit in Ashes of Creation while shitting on many problems the genre, game, and players would otherwise face.

You'd still have to define exactly how the design gives players any information at all. UI gotta start somewhere.

Basically you're talking about a theoretical game where a player can see something that my UICore code can't. Which doesn't exist.

• Options

All I've strung together is a somewhat cohesive design choice that may feature in an MMORPG, that would fit in Ashes of Creation while shitting on many problems the genre, game, and players would otherwise face.

You have a choice, talk about the MMO genre as a whole in a thread about the MMO genre as a whole, or talk about Ashes specifically in a thread about Ashes specifically.

I may answer your question if it is in the correct place - I may not. I absolutely will not answer it if it is in the wrong place.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Noaani wrote:

Fin.

All I've strung together is a somewhat cohesive design for an MMORPG that would fit in Ashes of Creation while shitting on many problems the genre, game, and players would otherwise face.

You'd still have to define exactly how the design gives players any information at all. UI gotta start somewhere.

Basically you're talking about a theoretical game where a player can see something that my UICore code can't. Which doesn't exist.

Why are you replying the same way. . .
    "Yet this process could continue on and on until it is both difficult to reverse engineer and transparent enough to players to be understandable and enjoyable.

Fin "

Do you think this is good, or not?

You have a choice, talk about the MMO genre as a whole in a thread about the MMO genre as a whole, or talk about Ashes specifically in a thread about Ashes specifically.

I may answer your question if it is in the correct place - I may not. I absolutely will not answer it if it is in the wrong place.

Given it's a question about how numbers and number transparency is handled it's in the right place.

Now answer the question.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote:

Fin.

Why are you replying the same way. . .
    "Yet this process could continue on and on until it is both difficult to reverse engineer and transparent enough to players to be understandable and enjoyable.

Fin "

Do you think this is good, or not?

I can't debate the merits of impossible things. Probably one of my great weaknesses, this whole 'being tethered to reality'...