Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

For people that ask for RP servers

CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I've seen a lot of people ask for RP servers on the forums. Initially, I was for this idea but as I thought about it in detail, I recognized why it wouldn't be a great idea.

Resources and dungeons in this game are designed to be contested for. In RP servers, this will not take place to a significant extent. So players can create alts on RP servers, gain access to free, uncontested resources and dungeon/raid loot, that they can then distribute to their main accounts. This will be extremely unhealthy for the game.

Fixing this is not easy. If you decide to make it so that players cannot trade between RP and non-RP servers, that cannot happen due to the existence of freeholds. A freehold is limited to one per account, so its very difficult to prevent trading between a player's RP and non-RP character.

Comments

• Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    You should not be allowed to trade between any server. Then what would be the point of having a realistic economy.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    jubilum wrote: »
    You should not be allowed to trade between any server. Then what would be the point of having a realistic economy.

You can't stop it. Freeholds are limited to one per account. This means that if you have 3 characters on 3 different servers in an account, all 3 will share a single freehold. So its almost impossible to prevent trading between the 3 diff characters, because all 3 share the same freehold. If you don't know, your freehold is where most of your profession activity takes place.
  • Options
    TrowynTrowyn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

You can't stop it. Freeholds are limited to one per account. This means that if you have 3 characters on 3 different servers in an account, all 3 will share a single freehold. So its almost impossible to prevent trading between the 3 diff characters, because all 3 share the same freehold. If you don't know, your freehold is where most of your profession activity takes place.

From my understanding the freehold will still be localized to the server its created on. Is there information out there that suggests otherwise?
  • Options

The one freehold for account is strictly to allow more people a chance to own one. If your main has one on server, an alt on another server can not have or will it have access to the one on your mains server. Alt on the same server as your main will have access. From what I understand servers will not be connected in any way. There should be no way to get resources and gear from one server to another. Even if there is an option to move characters between servers (and there should be with limitations)the transferred character should arrive at the new server naked empty inventory.
  • Options
    Trowyn wrote: »

From my understanding the freehold will still be localized to the server its created on. Is there information out there that suggests otherwise?

Freeholds are limited to one per account.[5]

If you have multiple characters on a single account, you will have to use the same freehold to process all the materials and stuff. This limits multiboxers, botters and stuff and makes it so that people who have multiple accounts don't have a significant advantage over those who don't.
  • Options

The one freehold for account is strictly to allow more people a chance to own one. If your main has one on server, an alt on another server can not have or will it have access to the one on your mains server. Alt on the same server as your main will have access. From what I understand servers will not be connected in any way. There should be no way to get resources and gear from one server to another. Even if there is an option to move characters between servers (and there should be with limitations)the transferred character should arrive at the new server naked empty inventory.

I don't think this is the case. From what i know, freeholds will be limited to one per account. It won't be one per server, per account. This is to make it so that everyone has a chance to own a freehold per account.
  • Options
    I think you can use the freehold only on the server that you made the freehold. Your other characters from other servers might be able to use it, but it would be best to have separate storages so they can not interract on server to server level.
  • Options
    i think that is what I said. But maybe it could be interpreted the way you did by the way I worded it.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Freeholds are basically all but confirmed to not be cross server accessible , as each server is basically its own separate timeline. Freeholds can only be placed in the ZOI of a lv 3 node at minimum. Its entirely possible for you to place your freehold down in a lv 3 node in your main's server A, but on your alt's server B that node is still lv 0.
  • Options
    Freeholds are basically all but confirmed to not be cross server accessible , as each server is basically its own separate timeline. Freeholds can only be placed in the ZOI of a lv 3 node at minimum. Its entirely possible for you to place your freehold down in a lv 3 node in your main's server A, but on your alt's server B that node is still lv 0.

If a freehold is limited to one per account and they are not cross server accessible, then how will your alt use a freehold?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wouldn't make an Alt on a different server to my Main in the first place.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

If a freehold is limited to one per account and they are not cross server accessible, then how will your alt use a freehold?

In the case of different servers, they won't. Freeholds aren't a necessity.
  • Options
    I think the account limitation for freeholds is indeed to reduce the amount of freeholds in the game. Having a server littered and overpopulated with houses in random locations makes it look kinda trashy. A lot of older MMORPGs that have housing like this end up like this.

As for alts in different servers, you will still have the ability to do in-node housing and apartments.
  • Options

I think the account limitation for freeholds is indeed to reduce the amount of freeholds in the game. Having a server littered and overpopulated with houses in random locations makes it look kinda trashy. A lot of older MMORPGs that have housing like this end up like this.

As for alts in different servers, you will still have the ability to do in-node housing and apartments.

Freeholds are a major part of your professions, specifically the processing class. Whats the point of trying to play an alt if you know that you won't be able to progress your professions on it?
  • Options

Freeholds are a major part of your professions, specifically the processing class. Whats the point of trying to play an alt if you know that you won't be able to progress your professions on it?

You can use someone else's freehold. Owning a freehold is not required in any capacity. Freeholds will be like the in node housing as a limited commodity.To be frank, I don't believe there is even enough space for the estimated 50k server population to have freeholds.

I know intrepid has made a point of processing being one of the things a freehold can do, but I'm not sure if they've stated its exclusively a freehold thing.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I've seen a lot of people ask for RP servers on the forums. Initially, I was for this idea but as I thought about it in detail, I recognized why it wouldn't be a great idea.

Resources and dungeons in this game are designed to be contested for. In RP servers, this will not take place to a significant extent. So players can create alts on RP servers, gain access to free, uncontested resources and dungeon/raid loot, that they can then distribute to their main accounts. This will be extremely unhealthy for the game.

Fixing this is not easy. If you decide to make it so that players cannot trade between RP and non-RP servers, that cannot happen due to the existence of freeholds. A freehold is limited to one per account, so its very difficult to prevent trading between a player's RP and non-RP character.

What would ever make you think that roleplayers won't contest? Roleplaying does not prevent PvP.
  • Options
    nidriks wrote: »

What would ever make you think that roleplayers won't contest? Roleplaying does not prevent PvP.

Definitely not as much as a normal server.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As a heavy RP I'm fine with playing on normal servers as long as the mechanics are there and from the looks of it they are
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

I think this assertion is baseless. My guild is an RP guild and contesting areas and laying down our claims is our primary focus for launch.

What you're doing is speculating, and forming conclusions off of baseless speculations is not a good general practise for reasons that should be fairly obvious. Better to ask questions when you're ignorant about a subject than to make blanket statements that come off misinformed and foolish.

I get that you're trying to provide feedback, but feedback based on your own assumptions rather than something factual just muddies the waters.
  • Options

What difference does it make how much they contest and PvP? I mean, if they are on their server, and not mine then why should I care how they tell their stories? :)
    I am assuming that you can't trade resources across servers. I may be wrong here.
    Also, if you can only have one freehold per account, then it seems like you have to pick which server it's on, and that's that. In essence, you all your alts don't get one. Again: correct me if I have missed some official word here...
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Niraada

Does any of us actually have something factual when it comes to rp? I'm taking a good guess, that's all. RP players in WoW don't PvP as much. I based it off of that. Your guild might be the exception for all you know.

Also, if you're going to contest and do all the normal stuff, then what exactly makes you different from normal players? I imagine RP players to be players that try to live as villagers of their respective race. It wouldn't make sense for a multi-racial guild to exist in an RP server, as every race will prefer to stay with their own kind. It wouldn't make sense power wise either. Why does a random guild have power in an RP world? Wouldn't you expect the leaders of each race to be the sole powers in the world (aside from gods and ancients)?

Have fun RPing on normal servers, as your chances of getting an RP server are as good as none. We'll enjoy ReaPing you.
  • Options
    NiraadaNiraada Member
    edited August 2020
    @CaptainChuck The hostility is unnecessary. I just pointed that your speculations are baseless.

If you'd like to continue the passive aggressive posturing to soothe your ruffled pride, you're more than welcome to, but I think there are more productive discussions to be had. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Niraada wrote: »
    @CaptainChuck The hostility is unnecessary. I also never asked for RP servers. I just pointed that your speculations are baseless.

If you'd like to continue the passive aggressive posturing to soothe your ruffled pride, you're more than welcome to, but I think there are more productive discussions to be had. :)

"If you ever wonder why I'm treating you different, take a step back and look at how you've treated me. That should tell you all you need to know."

Its a great quote and it pretty much means, LOOK WHO'S TALKING.
  • Options
    @CaptainChuck I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. Disagreeing with your speculation isn't hostility, nor does it justify yours.

Best of luck going forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Niraada wrote: »
    @CaptainChuck I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. Disagreeing with your speculation isn't hostility, nor does it justify yours.

Best of luck going forward.

You didn't just disagree. You pretty much insulted me while disagreeing. I think you need to look at the mirror before you ask other people to stop being hostile.
    @Niraada
    Also, if you're going to contest and do all the normal stuff, then what exactly makes you different from normal players? I imagine RP players to be players that try to live as villagers of their respective race. It wouldn't make sense for a multi-racial guild to exist in an RP server, as every race will prefer to stay with their own kind. It wouldn't make sense power wise either. Why does a random guild have power in an RP world? Wouldn't you expect the leaders of each race to be the sole powers in the world (aside from gods and ancients)?

Oh btw, I know you don't have a good answer for my reasoning...so you might wanna refrain from typing.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Niraada

Have fun RPing on normal servers, as your chances of getting an RP server are as good as none. We'll enjoy ReaPing you.

I'm not a video game role player, I play D&D and have done some other drama productions. What makes them different, though, is the reason why they do it. You might raid for the gear, an RP-er will raid for the good of the cause. It's acting. It's make believe. It can be fun, not my cup of tea, but I certainly enjoy watching them - just like watching a movie or a musical or a play. It's an art form.

As for your example, every race may or may not prefer to stay with their kind. This is entirely dependent on the lore. And even then, an individual character in the world may be different or go against the grain. Conflict and resolution is the heart of role play.

And that is what makes them fundamentally different than us. They create a make-believe conflict within the construct of the video game, then they work to resolve it. Because it's fun to them. I would rather them have a proper space to be able to do that without my interference (even though I don't mean to be disruptive).

Would you want to be disruptive to someone enjoying that game in their own way?

[EDIT: An afterthought: They (RP-ers) may actually be better at getting the games right than we are. After all it is an MMORolePlayingG. The term "Role" does not refer to Tank/DPS/Heal. It refers to the dramatic role of a character with reference to the plot. Protagonist role , antagonist role, supporting role, etc...
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @IllusionTokomi

I can understand the existence of multi-racial guilds as something similar to adventuring guilds or something, that do dugeons/raids, fight other contesting guilds etc. etc. But they shouldn't be leaders, just adventurers.

When a guild owns a castle, you can set tax rates on the nodes under your influence. Why is it that guilds have more power than the individual leaders of each race? That fundamentally doesn't make sense to me, especially not in an RP world.

Its like having control of Stormwind in WoW, as a guild with horde and alliance players.

As long as guilds cannot capture castles in the open world, its fine by me.

• Options
    @IllusionTokomi my guild has varying opinions on designated RP servers. The membership is fairly large, and everyone has their own goals within the game. A good portion of them are avid PVPers and are pretty happy with the idea of stomping griefers who like to target RPers, so in that respect, a non-RP server will have advantages in terms of offering more conflict for those that want it.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
  • Options
    @Niraada As the wise man said, "'There's always a bigger fish." Meaning here I suppose: something else will just pop up. Needs will get fulfilled.
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter

RPPvP servers have been a thing in MMOs for as long as I can remember.

Roleplay promotes PvP, and adhering to alliances, fanatically. They might bow when they kill people, but kill people they do.