Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP progression should be reworked

124»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    @NelsonRebel
    Look at eso both pve and pvp have gear sets that lean towards one another.
    It's been a while since I played ESO, but can you remind me what systems that game has in place where you can kill a player in PvP and take some of their stuff?
  • Options
    LinsteadLinstead Member
    edited August 2020
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Linstead wrote: »
    Leiloni wrote: »
    PvX game means you're expected to participate in both PvE and PvP content and it's designed with the idea that the average player is doing both (hence the X in PvX).

So why are players expected to participate in PvP content? If it doesn't give players any tangible rewards, people just won't do it. Especially people who loathe pvp.

Is this a troll post? You get plenty of tangible rewards for PvP. You get someone’s resources, you get someone away from whatever dungeon you’re contesting, you keep your node at metro level with all its functions, you destroy someone else’s node so yours can grow into its place, you potentially get someone’s gear.

Those all seem like some hefty rewards to me.

The whole issue OP has is that they have to rely on other players turning those material gains into gear.

Resources don't amount to much, and the rest is going to happen naturally. That would be like saying the "reward" of PvE is the achievement of clearing a dungeon. That's great and all, but no one really cares too much about that in the long run. People like progressing their character on an individual level, and even though they do like that it doesn't mean the entire game has to revolve around it, but it would also be nice for PvP to have some sort of individual progression other than "you get some extra resources" and "every 6 months you get some enchants"
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    @NelsonRebel
    It's been a while since I played ESO, but can you remind me what systems that game has in place where you can kill a player in PvP and take some of their stuff?

This is a valid point.

I was only offering a different perspective. But I'm fine with how AoC says its wants crafting
    to be the main gear end game progression.

I just hope it doesnt mean pve raids are the only place that give you stuff to make good gear thats actually powerful.

As long as there's a somewhat powerful other option available for open world players and normal
    dungeon runners its all good to me honestly. Crafting is the great equalizer (again this is true in ESO as well since crafted gear is almost as good as the end game gear in raids and dungeons)
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    @NelsonRebel

There is tel var system though that you can take from others. Not exactly what you mean but it does exist :)
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Leiloni wrote: »
    PvX game means you're expected to participate in both PvE and PvP content and it's designed with the idea that the average player is doing both (hence the X in PvX).

So why are players expected to participate in PvP content? If it doesn't give players any tangible rewards, people just won't do it. Especially people who loathe pvp.

Is this a troll post? You get plenty of tangible rewards for PvP. You get someone’s resources, you get someone away from whatever dungeon you’re contesting, you keep your node at metro level with all its functions, you destroy someone else’s node so yours can grow into its place, you potentially get someone’s gear.

Those all seem like some hefty rewards to me.

The whole issue OP has is that they have to rely on other players turning those material gains into gear.

Resources don't amount to much, and the rest is going to happen naturally. That would be like saying the "reward" of PvE is the achievement of clearing a dungeon. That's great and all, but no one really cares too much about that in the long run. People like progressing their character on an individual level, and even though they do like that it doesn't mean the entire game has to revolve around it, but it would also be nice for PvP to have some sort of individual progression other than "you get some extra resources" and "every 6 months you get some enchants"

Resources are actual items that go into your characters inventory which can then be sold or used. Comparing that to an intangible goal that can’t be sold or used it laughable to put it lightly.

PvPing gives you:
    - Material and certificate resources from the player you kill
    - Possibly gear if the killed player was corrupted
    - Achievements, titles, and other cosmetic flair
    - Control over an area to get more materials
    - Stronger node defense, which means all of its freeholds, marketplaces, and banked items depend on players succeeding in PvP

PvEing gives you:
    - Materials and certificates from monsters you kill
    - Achievements, titles, and other cosmetic flair
    - Possibly gear if you get lucky
    - Node progress and defensive power, which means all of its freeholds, ruling power, and functionality depend on players being more efficient in PvE than another node

PvP is the catalyst for PvE change in Ashes, which means yes, PvE goals are technically the intended motive behind PvP. PvP on its own over nothing (Arenas basically) was never presented as something IS intended to make meaningful, and they made that very clear early on. I don’t doubt there will be some titles and cosmetic flair as part of Arena fighting, but why should anything else be added to it when clearly it isn’t meant to be a viable playstyle to ignore half the game?