Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node types .. i don't see the reason

MedrashMedrash Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Hello Ashes devs :smile: I'm here to help you , as always.
You have some nice and great ideas for a new mmorpg, but many game design idea are badly thought. you want to do too much and get the Best mmorpg ever .. it's not simple, at last you are trying.
The node types don't make too much sense and i will predict it's going to be bad balanced. When a node is stronger and when all the other nodes want the same features there is a problem.
The node type you thought is a type of policy of the city, and it's static. The features each type will get are rly important for the game and all the players. Every player need the chance to use those basic function .. for the cities.
If someone want to travel fast, or anotherone want to be a Bounty hunter ... you will not be able to have different player with those different style of gamplay in the same node/city. This will lead the game to a static and boring gameplay.

The teleport it's just op ... it beats the AC becouse you can easly travel from city to city and be more effective of the Auction house ... of course you will probably neft this huge power with stupid things that will make the player base unhappy.
I don't get why the teleport is a scientific thing. It's not ... following your lore it's a magic discovery ... the focal point of all your lore is a magic portal opened by the "goddess" , it makes much sense if the teleport is a feature of the Divine node. Following your lore i support ... also the lore says that the Sanctus world has no magic ... then the tecnology is the main aspect , that evolved in the years ... why do we have a scientific node with more tecnology that the rest? Are the node going to advance the already maxed tecnology level of the Sanctus abitant? Are they going to ignore all the magic of the world? Why the other cities cannot use the same tecnology they used in thousands (?) of years. It all makes no point and it's caotic , attribute of an ambitious progect with too many things to do and think for so few devs. I hope you will get some extra time in reviewing some of the game design choises. And maybe take some of my suggestions .. :smile:
Becouse right now you didn't gave any info about the Divine node, for now. This means that the scienze took most of the Divine node ideas. There is no need for a scientific node, all can be science based.
So if you (devs) are stuck in a dead point for the Divine node just delete the scientific one and make the Divine node with most of the Scientific features. Or ...

So ... usually the policy of a city have a leader with a philosopy and preferences ... making war/exploration, or making economy . The divine and scientific aspects are just another flavour . You can have a military and religious city , making holy war . Or maybe military and scientific ... more like the nazi one xD sadly. Anyway Religion and science influence the node in different ways. So the best way to handle that is beeing able to choose between religion or science focus and then between aggressive or conservative playstyle. This will make a city feel , compleate, various and more fun in general. Also the politic of a city must be dinamic ... and maybe you already have this intention ... if a leader change then all the node type must change. I don't like the idea that a leader is not a Leader and it has no power or influence ... and he must follow the politics of the node ... just becouse the node is born in the grass at the coordinate 120,434 ... for example. This takes away gameplay and makes everything feel more fake and railroaded, useless.

What a node type is? A node type must change based on the Biome and region ... hills, mountains etc. The buildings are different of course, the resources and the dungeons ... this will make each city unique. Not an already programmed economic ... divine .. scientific policy. What if i want my node to be an economic type becouse i have lot's of nice resources near me? You have no choise ... but wait , now i'm pretty confused, you said in some video that each player can influence the node progress and alignment, so if the player are going to be a pvp node for the most then the node will be a more military focussed one ... so now i'm pretty confused by your contraddiction here xD i need to go back and see your video .

So ... is the scientific node the Magic node? This makes a lot more sense then. With everything , the teleport too ... the new science in Verra is the Magic of course xD how dumb am i ... :tongue:

Anyway .. are you going to look at all that ? and maybe fix/improve the node system? Thz ;)

Comments

• Options
    Also i wanna say that the science and the policy are not opposit things , they coexist. A more religious city must tend to a military style or a conservative/economic one. Maybe developing more siege weapons or walls .. aggressive or defensive play style.

A good thing to take in consideration is the focus that a node will have ... a dungeon/raid focus? or a pvp one . A roleplay/economic/trading? This also is important to take in consideration i believe. Making a node more favourite for some activity. A city of merchants or warriors? Or priests. I think that this can be in some way static, becouse a certain biome will influence the some choises ... if you have a lot of goods you will probably going to play more in defense, and economic side .. unless you are like the Romans xD ... well i'm italian , so i like to expand :tongue: haha But at the end you can choose both .
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @winner909098
    teleportation is only to vassals

oh ok xD i didn't know that. but in the wiki is written this : Citizens of metropolis scientific nodes may teleport between the metropolis and any of its vassal nodes ...
    it sais between metropolis too right?

I suppose it will be expensive , becouse there is also the airship ... is this not op? hehe we will see
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Medrash wrote: »
    @winner909098

oh ok xD i didn't know that. but in the wiki is written this : Citizens of metropolis scientific nodes may teleport between the metropolis and any of its vassal nodes ...

I suppose it will be expensive , becouse there is also the airship ... is this not op? hehe we will see

Nah it say between the Metropolis (the parent node) and all of its vassals. Vassals can never reach the node level of their parent.
    Two scientific metropolis can build a zepelin connection though^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    @winner909098

thats what I meant, sorry if it was confusing. You can only build one between science metropolises, and teleportation is only for citizens.
  • Options
    @Damokles
    Damokles wrote: »

Nah it say between the Metropolis (the parent node) and all of its vassals. Vassals can never reach the node level of their parent.
    Two scientific metropolis can build a zepelin connection though^^

So with the Auction super power you will be able to connect to all the different type of metropolis? How? that's not possible i think ... so tecnically is the same as the teleport ... only between parent nodes, and that's too strong for the teleport one. Anyway winner909098 said something maybe different ... :confused:
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    @Medrash

Who do you think you are? The way you address the devs, as though you are more knowledgeable/better than them, is pathetic. You're not making suggestions. You're speaking as if your ideas are objectively better than the existing systems. Every single one of your trash posts are written in this manner. Just stop posting. You literally joined 20 days ago, and you're trying to correct systems that have been reiterated upon for the last 3 years.
  • Options
    @winner909098

thats what I meant, sorry if it was confusing. You can only build one between science metropolises, and teleportation is only for citizens.

between science metropolises? So it means that you can choose only 1 parent node with metro stage to connect right? So if you go in the other metropoly you cannot return back probably, if he connected his teleport to another node .. but you still have the airship. It's op.
  • Options
    Before making suggestions, you should at least understand how the system currently works (as far as the knowledge we have). The way your posts are written tells me you do not understand what you're talking about at all. I agree with @CaptnChuck that you sound like you know better than the devs. You don't.
  • Options
    I think difirent kinds of nodes is important to every nodle haven't the same things every where and have some reason to the caravans. I agree this is hard to make a good balance, but is to early to can say certain, and is nonsense try to balance for power players. If the person prefer a little bonus to be in a specific nodle instead of being part of a community is their choice.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    I have read more on the wiki ... the main focus of the scientific node is the artisan and building aspect ...and the economic one is just selling ... this is so weak. The focus of a city built on business is the production of stuff , without that you cannot start any trade or business. The scientific node is an industrial node then, not scientific . Then it's just an economic node. It seems more of a social ladder , the workers are the scientific/industrial node .. the lower one. The economic node is the bourgeoisie or middle class ... the sellers and then we have the soldiers (nobles?) and priests. So what's going to happen if the bigger node is the industry one? A metropoly of artisans and farmers? Why in the histrory this cannot happen dude. A metropoly is the center of a kingdom, with few rich people ... the slaves and farmers are the most and they produce the goods. Right now it's pretty confusing for me all this.

traders and artisans live in the same society , they are the economic one .. you cannot separate them lol . the traders are the rich one and the artisans the poor people usually. But this can be different maybe.
    A node must produce good to sell good, so the scientific node, another time will be stronger xD poor economic one ... they need to do the foot work for nothing haha.
  • Options
    I wont go and correct you.
    You simple are wrong on many levels.

Here:
    https://www.ashes101.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUBV64rrQSIFjorua7sMsg
    Both links lead you to sites were there is solid information on the systems.
    Paradox Gaming is really really good at teaching and one of the best content creators for Ashes of Creation.

I highly advice you to check the information first before attempting to correct a system you do not understand.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @CaptnChuck
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Medrash

Who do you think you are? The way you address the devs, as though you are more knowledgeable/better than them, is pathetic. You're not making suggestions. You're speaking as if your ideas are objectively better than the existing systems. Every single one of your trash posts are written in this manner. Just stop posting. You literally joined 20 days ago, and you're trying to correct systems that have been reiterated upon for the last 3 years.

I'm someone who tries to help ... who do you think you are dude?
    I can expless my opinion here and my ideas are actually better becouse there is more logic , compared to the wiki ... the wiki give us so little info anyway.

Your comment is not constructive in any way to the cause, so please keep calm and try to read my criticism and understand them .. if you are interested ^^ . thz

that makes me laugh becouse i never said that my ideas are actually better ... of course in my opinion are better, otherwise I would never have proposed them ... and nobody too . Everyone that makes a discussion this that have some good things to say that are better of what he knows about the devs game.
    So if you think that my ideas are better that you so much ... what's the problem then?
    You can help me then ... or what do you think of my ideas? what's is wrong ? ... you are Free to criticize me :smile:
  • Options
    @GrandHarfang
    Before making suggestions, you should at least understand how the system currently works (as far as the knowledge we have). The way your posts are written tells me you do not understand what you're talking about at all. I agree with @CaptnChuck that you sound like you know better than the devs. You don't.

I just read the wiki dude ... it's all i have right now. I'm criticizing the wiki and what the wrote ... if the game is different then the wiki is fake xD or just bad written ...
  • Options
    Is OP being serious or am I suppose to be reading reverse budget google-translated English.
  • Options
    @Bode de Bigode
    I think difirent kinds of nodes is important to every nodle haven't the same things every where and have some reason to the caravans. I agree this is hard to make a good balance, but is to early to can say certain, and is nonsense try to balance for power players. If the person prefer a little bonus to be in a specific nodle instead of being part of a community is their choice.

The balance is always important ^^ absolutelly ... different nodes are important and fun . i never said to get everything look the same :tongue:
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @GodsThesis
    GodsThesis wrote: »
    Is OP being serious or am I suppose to be reading reverse budget google-translated English.

Yea actually i wrote some bad comments, of course the english is not my main language and i'm pretty tired those days. :tongue: just ignore some errore if you can
  • Options
    I just read the wiki dude ... it's all i have right now. I'm criticizing the wiki and what the wrote ... if the game is different then the wiki is fake xD or just bad written ...

The wiki is fine. I'd blame your confusion on your mastery of English. If it can help, the wiki is written in multiple languages. Perharps your main language is there.

Just to be clear, I mean that in no offence. English is not my main language either.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @Xenotor
    Xenotor wrote: »
    I wont go and correct you.
    You simple are wrong on many levels.

Here:
    https://www.ashes101.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUBV64rrQSIFjorua7sMsg
    Both links lead you to sites were there is solid information on the systems.
    Paradox Gaming is really really good at teaching and one of the best content creators for Ashes of Creation.

I highly advice you to check the information first before attempting to correct a system you do not understand.

Thz, i know that ... i saw some videos , not all the video sure. i don't have enough time , and is better to comment the fastest possible.

Saying that i'm wrong without any criticism or explanation is it useless and it is not costructive ... pls let me know your ideas and feedback .. otherwise your comment sound more of a non sense insult to my ideas.

of course i checked all the stuff i'm speaking about on the wiki .. as far as i know the wiki and youtube are the only info points for me. Do you have another site? ...
    Anyway everything i said is exacly what's on the wiki right now, if you think i'm lying then go check on the site .. wiki or youtube .. maybe i'm realy wrong dude .. thz for the comment.
    i hope to get more constuctive ones for the game, after this xD
  • Options
    @GrandHarfang

what "i'd" means? I'm learning xD haha . Is it an abbreviation for what term?

yea sure, the wiki preset some text in my language :smile: we italians ... usually sites and videogames don't care about our language :'( we are too few.
    Anyway i can read most of the english and understand pretty well, so there is no problem in that... maybe with the help of google translate for some terms xD
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the OP has some......interesting perspective and some people are getting lost in poor translation. I'm hoping he isn't actually addressing the devs in a way, that would be offensive to many, on purpose : ).

I will say this. I do like the idea that teleport should not be scientific and more so a "portal" that could be created from a religious or magical city but that's just me. I'll be happy with anything IS decides to do ultimately haha.
  • Options
    @KHRONUS
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    I think the OP has some......interesting perspective and some people are getting lost in poor translation. I'm hoping he isn't actually addressing the devs in a way, that would be offensive to many, on purpose : ).

I will say this. I do like the idea that teleport should not be scientific and more so a "portal" that could be created from a religious or magical city but that's just me. I'll be happy with anything IS decides to do ultimately haha.

Thanz you :smile: no dude ... what did i say offensive? Let me know xD .

unfortunately the discussion cannot be edited , i would have fix it in no time ... (fix or fixed? xD ) haha
  • Options
    what "i'd" means? I'm learning xD haha . Is it an abbreviation for what term?

It's an abbreviation for "I would"
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's all good. I can sense the broken English in your message haha. Your original post says "You have some nice and great ideas for a new mmorpg, but many game design idea are badly thought." You basically said to the developers that many of their designs are bad. This is going to anger a lot of us because AoC is creating VERY die hard fans with their content (me included).

I see your perspective on wanting to suggest but careful on your wording if you want to avoid making people respond with angry posts :smiley:
  • Options
    I don't think we have all the information about what what the various nodes does. Some of the node types we have no information about. I think this game will be build around conflict. If people don't like what the mayor is doing with the city, they can try to become the next major. Leveling 1 node hinderes the others. So that can cause people to try and siege a node. That is the point. You don't seem to have much knowladge about the game. The nodes are there to make the world feel living. Some cities grow while others might shrink/get destroyed
  • Options
    apmaxapmax Member
    edited August 2020
    The guy who thinks that being countered in combat is fundamentally bad game design also doesn't see the point in different cities being better at different things based on their location, how very surprising.
    At the very least, if you want your ideas to be taken as anything other than ridiculous and inflammatory, then don't present them as "fixing" game systems that you seem to have a tenuous grasp on the mechanics of in the first place.
  • Options
    @GodsThesis
    GodsThesis wrote: »

Yea actually i wrote some bad comments, of course the english is not my main language and i'm pretty tired those days. :tongue: just ignore some errore if you can

Just making sure I am not being trolled that's all.

Anyways, I think you make too many vague assumptions that you think are logical but they may not actually be.

For example:
    The node type it doesn't make too much sense and i will predict it's going to be bad balanced. When a node is stronger and when all the other nodes want the same features there is a problem.
    The node type you thought is a type of policy of the city, and it's static. The features each type will get are rly important for the game and all the players. Every player need the chance to use those basic function .. for the cities.

You think this is a problem but it's not. Conflict is the intended feature. Everyone having the same functions is more likely to create a static system. So let's be clear with words then. Maybe you don't actually think it's bad balance, you mean it's an unfair balance. Thus you think things being unfair is bad. that's why you interchange the two. At least, that's what I am reading.

An unfair balance can be good for the game. If a metropolis or another node stops me and my group from processing our own node, then we'll take them down, loot, destroy, and degrade their node. This can be a dynamic system, not static as you mentioned.
    I don't get why the teleport is a scientific thing. It's not ... following your lore it's a magic discovery ... the focal point of all your lore is a magic portal opened by the "goddess" , it makes much sense if the teleport is a feature of the Divine node.

It's not correct completely assume the two: science and magic can be different here. At best you need to understand: what is science? Science is a method of discovery for understanding the world through evidence rather than by logic( though it can use logic). Science is the successor to Greek Philosophy of using observations and reason to understand the world( I think this change happened in the Enlightenment?).

Anyways, using magic to discover/understand the world can be scientific in a fantasy setting. I understand that the scientific community is becoming more like a religion these days. But fundamentally science is the rigorous methods for discovery based on evidence (this is the key part pre and post enlightenment). The two don't have to be opposites, though they can if one wants them to. Same can go for religion and science as you pointed out. The two actually can co-exist and aren't necessarily opposites. Plenty of religious scientists back then and today. Point being: no need to separate religion and science between nodes, whatever you meant by that.

At a minimum and in simple/game terms, science is based on magic. Magic being the vehicle for discovery or specifically, rediscovery.

The teleport will be incredibly useful, not sure about overpowered though.

I don't think you fundamentally understand why things are in the game or why they are there. It sounds like you think your ideas would be better. And the writing style is...quite flamboyant. I am not ignoring your ideas. I think your reasoning is misplaced and your ideas aren't better than the current system.
  • Options
    I wasnt sure if this was a troll post, broken English, or some 12 year old telling the devs to make his game.

As you said @Medrash, you haven't seen all the videos. Take some time and watch them and other material. It would serve you better, than posting made up stuff.
  • Options
    @winner909098

between science metropolises? So it means that you can choose only 1 parent node with metro stage to connect right? So if you go in the other metropoly you cannot return back probably, if he connected his teleport to another node .. but you still have the airship. It's op.

I meant the airship
  • Options
    @Medrash
    Not enough info on the topic to really know what they do in the end.

But I get where you're coming from. Everything on paper about military nodes makes em sound like the least desired node.

Since caravans are going to be very important to trade, I think it would be cool if military nodes could build roads to increase travel speed to any node they are in an alliance with.
    To go the extra step, citizens of the military node get an armed NPC escort when they embark.

All roads lead to Rome.