Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Assassin for Hire? Possible?

quagenquagen Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I thought it would be interesting as an assassin class if people could hire you to assassinate other players in the world. You think this would be a useful tool? Like maybe one node hires you to Assassinate the other nodes mayor or king or queen if even possible? Like maybe if the king, queen or mayor was assassinated they lost their title (sounds harsh but realistic, without killing off the player completely) and got a debuff towards their village as a mayor, or metropolis as a king or queen.

Comments

• If so, imma be the worlds first assassin for hire (;
  • y4miy4mi Member
    Splendid Idea I'll be sure to Hire :S
  • You will be my first customer in alpha (;
    yamihyper wrote: »
    Splendid Idea I'll be sure to Hire :S

• WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    I'd like Assassin's bounties on people's heads. This should however not be done through:
    • the Cities Tax Funds, as that would lend itself to Abuse. There should be no way to get the Funds of the City into any persons pocket.
    • Don't limit it to a certain character class. If someone wants to collect an Assasin's bounty, then everybody should be able to do it. Make it a social organisation instead.

Personally, I'm a fan of all player generated content. There should be a way for people to put up an Order. Whether its collecting certain material for them, kill a player, kill a monster, bring a shipment of goods from the next Node etc.
  • Why should it NOT be possible?

You can appearently trade everything so trading for service is no problem.
    And as far as I know Steven mentioned somewhere that Assassination will be a thing as cities are no safe-zones so it should be possible to go and assassinate a player even in town.
  • This is one of the things I want really badly, I see myself (my mc) being in a Mercenary/Assassin guild and being hired to kill people or be a decisive variant in a siege.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shure, i would imagine it possible. I know that my guild is planning a blacklist, with people getting points for killing those on it.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • No one really commented on the killing a king or queen what will be rewarding about assassinating a person of power? If at all possibld
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Queens and Kings will not be losing their titles just from being assassinated by an Assassin.
    Especially not in cities where that's decided by vote.

I'm sure there will be some hiring of Assassins, though, yes.
  • KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    Sure, I see a quest line to kill a king mob, as an assassin quest. That's easy.

As to a profession, where NPCs hire you to do assassination tasks, full time? To narrow, to niche. Your asking to be catered for your own progression, while excluding others from this material. Unless a non assassin can do them too. Then, what's the point?

Now, if you want to be hired , by payers, to assassinate other players, and become corrupted. That's in-game.

Edit. Assassins don't need badges and achievements. They are invisible.
  • LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think that there should be in game mechanics to like, pay for assassinations specifically, but there should be the capacity to pay assassins through the standard trade UI, and I imagine assassins will be present in AoC, especially since there is a real consequence to not only dying, but also killing other players (Corruption)

If it were me, I would much rather pay someone else to do that dirty work for me, and reap none of the consequences.
  • Kneczhevo wrote: »

As to a profession, where NPCs hire you to do assassination tasks, full time? To narrow, to niche. Your asking to be catered for your own progression, while excluding others from this material. Unless a non assassin can do them too. Then, what's the point?

Now, if you want to be hired , by payers, to assassinate other players, and become corrupted. That's in-game.

In my case, I want it to be between players, but I wouldn't mind some npc mechanic in it, as long it's for everyone (every class) who would want that type of "job", like the bounty hunter system.
  • Kneczhevo wrote: »

I was talking about other players wanting to hire you, never did I say NPCs would hire you. What do you think a debuff would be for someone hiring you to assassinate a king and you’re successful. How would that impact a kingdom do you think? I think it would be interesting to build your name across the world and have people hire you’ve from the four corners of the world. I just don’t know how they could make killing people of power beneficial. Maybe they just have to stick to non persons of power. Having people hire you to kill enemies of their guild etc.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Queens and Kings will not be losing their titles just from being assassinated by an Assassin.
    Especially not in cities where that's decided by vote.

I'm sure there will be some hiring of Assassins, though, yes.

What would be beneficial about killing a person of power then? How could they make that appealing to someone who wants a person of power dead? Will the town or city etc be given a debuff for a short time? Maybe when it comes to the time to siege they are “easier” to siege by giving it some sort of debuff
  • Lfmr wrote: »
    I don't think that there should be in game mechanics to like, pay for assassinations specifically, but there should be the capacity to pay assassins through the standard trade UI, and I imagine assassins will be present in AoC, especially since there is a real consequence to not only dying, but also killing other players (Corruption)

If it were me, I would much rather pay someone else to do that dirty work for me, and reap none of the consequences.

That’s exactly what im saying, I want other players to pay me with gold or items to assassinate either people of power or enemies of said player
  • I hire you to kill all people above me in this thread :wink:

How many cookies would you want for this?

On a serious note: would be a cool idea, I guess it is possible because of the open-world PVP aspect. I would say start such a guild and make some money ;)
  • LeroherLeroher Member
    edited August 2020
    halbarz wrote: »

On a serious note: would be a cool idea, I guess it is possible because of the open-world PVP aspect. I would say start such a guild and make some money ;)

Yes, we gotta start by making this type of guild and becoming famous in this aspect because of our well done job.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    kuddah wrote: »
    What would be beneficial about killing a person of power then? How could they make that appealing to someone who wants a person of power dead? Will the town or city etc be given a debuff for a short time? Maybe when it comes to the time to siege they are “easier” to siege by giving it some sort of debuff
    Could be all manner of RP reasons.
    Ashes PvP is more focused on inanimate PvP objectives rather than persons.
    Assassinating a Queen or King will not provide much of an advantage or benefit.
  • Leroher wrote: »
    halbarz wrote: »

Yes, we gotta start by making this type of guild and becoming famous in this aspect because of our well done job.

Already in the works (;
  • Dygz wrote: »

Kinda unfortunate id want them to lose their title as bad as it sounds but it’s better then completely killing off the player completely which would be most realistic. I think killing a person of power should cause drastic problems for the Provence
  • halbarz wrote: »
    I hire you to kill all people above me in this thread :wink:

How many cookies would you want for this?

Assassins guild here we come (;
  • At the very least the corruption system will open itself up to bounty hunters and mercenary type players to go after people attacking noncombatants.

In essence if a particularly deadly, corrupted, player seems too much of a challenge I could see a select, few, number of players with the skills to take out the corrupted parties for the right amount of money on behalf of the kingdom/node population.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • Ljosalfar wrote: »
    At the very least the corruption system will open itself up to bounty hunters and mercenary type players to go after people attacking noncombatants.

In essence if a particularly deadly, corrupted, player seems too much of a challenge I could see a select, few, number of players with the skills to take out the corrupted parties for the right amount of money on behalf of the kingdom/node population.

Or maybe if guilds start to develop a rivalry and they think someone is getting too powerful in another guild they can send an assassin after said player to take his gear if his gear is takeable depending on his corruption level
  • Thanks for all your comments anyone else have any input?
  • TwangTwang Member
    edited August 2020
    What if they made an order where you can be hired to join guild wars as a mercenary, and could be organized into a group or solo basis.
    Or Node wars, for player pooling means other than guilds and nodes.

Payed most for unique player kills and less for repeat. Limited deaths maybe. Pay limit.

Just don’t see incentive moneywise to see someone get killed once.
    Assassins Could work for an anti bounty hunter mechanic.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Killing someone once isn’t that impactful so I don’t see how much interest this system would have.

The bounty system will pretty much be an assassination program though. Players with enough corruption will get bounties placed on them, and bounty hunters can go after those players to eliminate them for rewards. That sounds like an assassination job to me. So if you want to play an assassin, just become a bounty hunter.

Hhak63P.png
  • Glad there are people who want to start a mercenary guild all we need is a mayor who wants to run stuf on the military node and we are set to kill everything that moves! for a price.
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    if there is a significant penalty to being assassinated as a King, then said king should have a bad ass group of NPC Secret Service surrounding him at all times capable, of subduing a would be assassin with one shot. If you are going to assassinate an elected leader you need a plan and there needs to be real risk.
  • kuddah wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »

Kinda unfortunate id want them to lose their title as bad as it sounds but it’s better then completely killing off the player completely which would be most realistic. I think killing a person of power should cause drastic problems for the Provence

I agree, while they shouldn't lose their title, it could cause npcs to do worse or go away in mourning.
  • Atama wrote: »
    Killing someone once isn’t that impactful so I don’t see how much interest this system would have.

The bounty system will pretty much be an assassination program though. Players with enough corruption will get bounties placed on them, and bounty hunters can go after those players to eliminate them for rewards. That sounds like an assassination job to me. So if you want to play an assassin, just become a bounty hunter.

It could be impactful if they are corrupted and lose their gear. Maybe someone has beef ¯\_(ツ)_/¯