Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Gift of Life - Cleric Alpha One Preview

Comments

• maouw wrote: »
    @Leiloni
    I felt the whip should last longer? But that's mainly because it took so long to summon. I can see how it would work as a one-off skill too. Still needs to be faster.
    I'd like to give the bard plenty of utility too, clerics already do a lot on their own - I guess the whip is a plan B?

As for the AoE spell, I'm looking at it from a magic mastery progression point of view (not user mechanics). To my mind it makes more sense that you start off learning shorter, brief spells that are simple before you master the longer lasting, AoE spells as you progress in levels. I don't think this should be a spell someone who has just started learning magic should know yet.

What you're saying about throwing heals at the sky made me laugh. We mostly agree.

Yea I definitely agree the whip needs to be faster and I also feel like the visual of a whip doesn't really fit the theme of a Cleric to me? I'm not sure what I'd replace it with but it feels a bit odd to pull out a giant golden whip LOL.
  • Spear of Lights / Divine Spears / Lightning spears have had a deeply religious/fate driven history. It certainly can be associated, as a divine power, as it had a place in the mythology/religion of many human believes over the history of mankind. To name a few:
    • Greek and Roman
    • Norse
    • Hindu
    • Christian
    • couple of plenty Pagan ones
    • countless game universes including DnD and the Warcraft Universe

TL/DR a magical spear is indeed fitting for a cleric, as it oftentimes seen as Divine
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited November 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Castigation - we'd want to keep this buff up all the time, so it would be more of a one and done spell to get the buff going and then off to another skill.

But my major concern with this is as much as I love the idea of MP regen, shouldn't MP regen be a buff we give to the Bard class?
    Agreed on the buff uptime. I can see this being one of the main skills I'll be using.

Given that Mages also have a MP regen skill (Gift Of The Magi), we may see it in more than one playstyle.

Divine Censure - I agree a spear isn't something I really associate with Cleric disciplines so it feels really off to throw a spear.
    I dunno, I've seen plenty of images/statues of angels with spears, and the ESO "cleric" (Templar) class had a Spear skill.

Exorcism and Judgement - ... A hammer is the most Cleric thing you could have considering Cleric's are traditionally healers wearing chain armor and a 2H Warhammer or a 1H Mace Hammer and a Shield.
    What churches have you been to...?! :o

I'm talking about Clerics in RPGs, MMO's, and D&D based genres and games in general. The Cleric archetype always looks like that. We're not talking about Priests in real life, here.
  • not usually a cleric but it all looks so great already, and we’re not even quite in the alpha phases yet!
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    Again, physically throwing a hammer just doesn't sit right with me for the clerical offices unless it's a weapon skill (with a cleric augment?).

I assume they're going for the "judge's gavel" kind of feel.
    Again, physically throwing a hammer just doesn't sit right with me for the clerical offices unless it's a weapon skill (with a cleric augment?).

Right!
    But physically hurling a hammer head over hilt like a tomahawk doesn't have the gavel spirit.

I guess there's no clean way to slam a gavel without making the gavel an enormous size.

Did I miss something because you are both talking as if Judgement had a hammer involved. All I saw was a lame particle steam hit the target and explode.

I would prefer if it was a phantom hammer that materialized over the target and slammed into them from above. That would feel much more impactful imho.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • PlagueMonk wrote: »

Right!
    But physically hurling a hammer head over hilt like a tomahawk doesn't have the gavel spirit.

I guess there's no clean way to slam a gavel without making the gavel an enormous size.

Did I miss something because you are both talking as if Judgement had a hammer involved. All I saw was a lame particle steam hit the target and explode.

The skill icon is a hammer.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • From the spells shown I can already see how you can build your cleric in different ways. There's the up-close "in your face" kind of cleric and there's the spellcaster kind of cleric, and you can choose what kind you want to be by putting points into certain spells. I like this a lot.

I do have an issue with the passive healing. I don't want a whole party to be kept alive by passive aoe healing. But I do like the buffing and debuffing effects of some of these spells. The hammer and spear attack look awesome and I look forward to seeing the cleaned up versions.

Also I'm not a big fan of the floating while casting. When I'm casting spells I want my feet firmly planted on the ground while I'm handling all that spell power.
  • I like to mix passive and direct healing. If I've got enough passive healing going, then the rest of the party can hold out while I direct heal the guy who's having trouble. I don't see the problem with both, as long as they cast quick enough.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    I like to mix passive and direct healing. If I've got enough passive healing going, then the rest of the party can hold out while I direct heal the guy who's having trouble. I don't see the problem with both, as long as they cast quick enough.

There's nothing wrong with mixing some passive with some active healing. I just don't want the passive healing to be as strong as the active healing.

I was imagining a system where the cleric, dressed in mail gear, is in the combat throwing spears, hammers, and whips, and then jumps out to throw a chain heal then jumps back in. Jumping out of the combat to throw a heal or 2 is the essential part here.
  • McShave wrote: »
    I like to mix passive and direct healing. If I've got enough passive healing going, then the rest of the party can hold out while I direct heal the guy who's having trouble. I don't see the problem with both, as long as they cast quick enough.

There's nothing wrong with mixing some passive with some active healing. I just don't want the passive healing to be as strong as the active healing.

I was imagining a system where the cleric, dressed in mail gear, is in the combat throwing spears, hammers, and whips, and then jumps out to throw a chain heal then jumps back in. Jumping out of the combat to throw a heal or 2 is the essential part here.

Yeah, I always threw down the passive HoTs and then started getting stuck in. Re-apply when they run out, direct heal the lower health, and then stuck in again. I really enjoyed raid healing.
  • I do not want much rooting. Personally id like a weapon stow/cancel cast key bind similar to gw2. Dont want many abilties that slow down my movement. It just interrupts the combat experience and takes away from the combat immersion. I want to play my character not watch him cast. Only the powerful spells should root/slow your movement and still be canceled when moveing.
    Stoic. Tradition. Forge. :
    tumblr_my6no12Xrg1s5muieo1_500.gif
    Kappa

• While I don't mind the damage/healing combined spells, It's not really my style. I'd much rather have damage mitigation spells and abilities.

Something I loved back in the earlier WoW expansions such as WotLK, Diciplin Priests weren't damage healers like they are now. They were insted mostly built to mitigate damage with shields. So instead of reacting to damage taken, you had to be proactive and see the damage coming before it happened.
    I do realize that this might be more of a feature for a secondary archetype which would slink right down my alley if that's the case.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While I don't mind the damage/healing combined spells, It's not really my style. I'd much rather have damage mitigation spells and abilities.

Something I loved back in the earlier WoW expansions such as WotLK, Diciplin Priests weren't damage healers like they are now. They were insted mostly built to mitigate damage with shields. So instead of reacting to damage taken, you had to be proactive and see the damage coming before it happened.
    I do realize that this might be more of a feature for a secondary archetype which would slink right down my alley if that's the case.

I played Disc in both BC and WotLK. If done right mitigating damage the way they did then is a fun and different play style. The current version is a shadow of it's former self. Hopefully with the augments this kind of play style will be there and viable.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • This is a great video. I'm going to take a different approach here.

Looks like the resurrection spell takes between 3-4 seconds to cast.
    - I would like to know the dev's point of view/reasoning behind the length of the cast time. Traditionally rez takes a significant amount of time (in some cases 10+ seconds) as well as only being castable, in some cases, out of combat. Will rez be castable in combat? Will a non-pvp flagged character be flagged for pvp if they rez someone that has died during a pvp battle? Will said cleric gain corruption if the target they rezzed was corrupted, or simply be flagged for pvp?

Personally, i don't mind the golden or yellow "lightning" effect on the chain heal. My only concern is the ability to differentiate that spell between others that may have similar color and or appearance.

Some of the spell names are quite cookie cutter, but realistically how many options do you really have while allowing users to draw a conclusion on what the spell may do without reading the description? Personally i'm not terribly worried about the spell names.

I am very interested in the mechanic of providing regeneration through damage, and healing/damage in an area. The balance of these mechanics will likely play a huge role in whether or not the cleric will be the best in slot as a main healer.

Final note, i can't wait to play this game. I doubt there is anything you could do to it at this point that would change my mind.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Amma wrote: »
    Real healers don't want nor need passive healing. ........ We don't need passive healing nor do we need healing addons.

Well... i am sorry that i am not part of the "real" healers and that you "real" healers dont need passive healing. As an amateur healer who wants to have simply fun at playing a game, i think it would be nice to have passive healing, because this is simply what made fun for me as an disci priest in wow.

I wouldn't consider Disc a passive healer. They definitely directly heal and require a lot of skill, they just do it mostly via placing a buff on their targets and then using damage to heal. With Disc you're still very much actively choosing targets, strategically choosing which skills to use and when. And the fact that that damage to heal buff is a short term, single target buff only adds to the skill and decision making required. It's definitely in the category of traditional active healer. Nobody just passively gets healed from a Disc Priest in WoW - you only get healed after the Priest has gone through a lot of effort and a lot of button presses to get there.
    I played a Disc priest in WoW (and really enjoyed it, it made healing fun) and I will second this. It's not like you just sit there spamming attacks and let everyone get passively healed by your presence. As you said, you have to keep the buff on people and it takes some skill to predict who needs it the most and prioritize it. It's kind of like juggling HoTs on people but you are also involved in the DPS side at the same time.

Hhak63P.png
  • Pvp playerPvp player Member
    edited December 2020
    Double post
    edited November 2020
    It looks amazing.
    But there seems to be an overabundance of skills with a very long cast time, which is troubling for PvP.

In most games, "hard CC" is overpowered, so it makes sense that those skills have a higher cost to them, but interestingly, Judgement has, besides direct damage, a knockdown and a debuff AND is insta cast.
    Conversely, you want heals to respond immediately (also in dungeons), and here we have single target Devotion that has a cast time (and also seems to be a hot), while Benediction is insta cast and is a group heal.

Usually, damage over time skills are instant cast, but here, Hallowed Ground has a cast time.
    And when I look at the elaborate floating animation for it, I expect it to do cc to be honest.

For everyone's convenience, including my own because these skills are all new to me of course, here's a list:
    The following skills (with timestamp) have animations that take over a second to finish before they "fire", and their effects.
    Castigation (0:30) - damage, health regen, mana regen
    Hallowed Ground (0:40) - aoe dot, aoe hot
    Divine Censure (0:47) - damage, heal over time, knockdown,
    Devotion (1:12) - heal

Skills with short cast time or insta cast
    Benediction (0:37) - group heal
    Damnation (1:03) - damage over time, attack debuff
    Judgement (1:26) - damage, armour debuff, knockdown
  • Pvp player wrote: »
    It looks amazing.
    But there seems to be an overabundance of skills with a very long cast time, which is troubling for PvP.

In most pvp games, "hard CC" is overpowered, so it makes sense that those skills have a higher cost to them, but interestingly, Judgement has, besides direct damage, a knockdown and a debuff AND is insta cast.
    Conversely, you want heals to respond immediately (also in dungeons), and here we have single target Devotion that has a cast time (and also seems to be a hot), while Benediction is insta cast and is a group heal.

Usually, damage over time skills are instant cast, but here, Hallowed Ground has a cast time.
    And when I look at the elaborate floating animation for it, I expect it to do cc to be honest.

For everyone's convenience, including my own because these skills are all new to me of course, here's a list:
    The following skills (with timestamp) have animations that take over a second to finish before they "fire", and their effects.

In most games, the TTK is also between 5 and 10 seconds, which requires much faster reactions from the side of Healers in order to keep someone up @""Pvp player"

The delays might be totally fine here.
  • KeernKeern Member
    edited November 2020
    Pvp player wrote: »
    It looks amazing.

In most games, "hard CC" is overpowered, so it makes sense that those skills have a higher cost to them, but interestingly, Judgement has, besides direct damage, a knockdown and a debuff AND is insta cast.

I agree that the castimes are too long. However keep in mind that these are maybe only that long due to being skills of level 1-10. Because afaik skills change with augmentation and level increase cast times might change also.
    As for hard cc: I dont mind hard cc with low cast time as long as just as you say there is some cost to it. It might be fine to just make it action combat. Then you can still avoid it by movment like jumping, direction change etc. Since aocs combat is supposed to be combo based it is probably possible to predict important skills to a certain extent if you are knowledgeable enough. Avoiding insta cast knockdowns being really powerful attacks would become super rewarding and fun.
    Edit: also I am not sure if judgment acutally is a knockdown. The text explaining the skill does not state it and the target is dieing not getting knocked at least that what it looks like to me. The same for the devine censure i think the target is dead since it also gets resurected. In these previews targets often get oneshot by one skill. Idk why devs do that. Maybe to demonstrate the damage component? Since you dont see numbers.
    Kappa

• Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    Pvp player wrote: »
    It looks amazing.

In most pvp games, "hard CC" is overpowered, so it makes sense that those skills have a higher cost to them, but interestingly, Judgement has, besides direct damage, a knockdown and a debuff AND is insta cast.

In most games, the TTK is also between 5 and 10 seconds, which requires much faster reactions from the side of Healers in order to keep someone up @""Pvp player"

@Pvp player

I agree also hard CCs are not nessicarily overpowered. There are plenty of MMOs out there that balance the mechanics of CCs quite effectively. There is very much a risk vs reward when it comes to these abilities, healing shouldn't be an exception. Considering that we already know that certain classes get access to temporary CC immunity, I am sure that there will be an effective counter play to CCs. However they could also be how you defeat a cleric. This game will feature a rock/paper/scissor kind of balance and this could be what balances that particular class.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Overall, I feel a bit overwhelmed by the number of spells available at level 10.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the caster visual effects - but like others have said, I still want to cast while moving or interrupt spell casting if needed.
    Some of them look like they could be advanced spells?
    • Castigation (the shiny whip) - can this be a skill we can press 3 times? So we can lash left, right, and then a slightly stronger final hit? (and the whip can burst away in the final hit). Windup is a bit too long on this skill, spreading out the damage so that more of the total damage is in the third final hit gives players something to counterplay with other than windup animations.
    • Benediction (chain heal) - looks too much like an electrical attack at the moment - can I suggest much softer curved lines and more blurred? With heals specifically, can we turn off gravity on the particles and instead make them rise? I think the character pose goes really well with this electric style spell - but perhaps would work better on an electric mage. The idea of a chain heal is good though!
    • Hallowed Ground (AoE heal+damage) - the edges of the AoE effect need visual clarity. I like how it pulses! This is a spell that I feel doesn't belong in the beginner category.
    • Divine Censure (holy spear) - love the idea behind this spell! Can we visually emphasize the debuff aspect of it? Less focus on the spear, more on who has been debuffed, so harder visual cues on the debuff (maybe a beam of light from heaven)? I'd even argue the spear looks a bit too solid - but I think that's just my taste. Hurling a spear is something I don't really associate with clerical disciplines - and I think interferes with the separation of weapon skills vs spells.
    • Resurrection - looking really good, can't wait to see the polished version :) I do think resurrection should not be a beginner spell though - it's like the ultimate form of healing.
    • Damnation (debuff DoT) - it almost looks like a buff right now, can you reduce opacity of the sweeping particles on the way up, and make them more solid on the way down?
    • Devotion (twinkle star heal) - description is "swift action", but it isn't swift. Especially when chain heal is much more instant.
    • Exorcism - the floating in the air animation here is over the top. Exorcism has a different connotation to what I see in this spell. Can I suggest the name "Soul String"? DoT effect also isn't obvious in the visual effect of the spell, too many sparkles around the caster for this spell.
    • Judgement (hammer throw) - this spell is too similar to divine censure, and a bit generic. I would reserve the name "Judgement" for a more impactful spell. Again, physically throwing a hammer just doesn't sit right with me for the clerical offices unless it's a weapon skill (with a cleric augment?).

I would love to see a few more spells to do with cleansing, and it would be cool if the higher level spells have more of a "channeling power from a diving being" aspect - meaning: rather than throwing hammers at people yourself, a hammer wielded by unseen (or seen?) hands appears, strikes and disappears.

Exorcism has a different connotation to what I see in this spell.

Agreed. I feel a new name is called for, but I think it should be scrapped or reworked. This one comes off as more of a Dark Cleric attack. 'Ripping spirit' seems pretty un-priestly.
    A divine spear or Judgment hammer is more fitting retribution/punishment.
    Real healers don't want nor need passive healing. ........ We don't need passive healing nor do we need healing addons.

Well... i am sorry that i am not part of the "real" healers and that you "real" healers dont need passive healing. As an amateur healer who wants to have simply fun at playing a game, i think it would be nice to have passive healing, because this is simply what made fun for me as an disci priest in wow.

Healers heal. That is the class focus: supporting your team with life juice.

Its like saying Tanks should have passive aggro management.

If you don't like healing, I think this class is not for you.
    Third point is that if this is the system later on in the game too then it would make sense because like IS said it multiple times, they balance the game mostly for bigger battles and events and not for 1v1, so if we think of a castle siege where you have 30-50 people in front of the castle, then passive healing is the most effective to heal as fast as possible the lowest life bars and not search on your monitor who is low and who not, because remember we wont have addons which could help us with that. So maybe these are some of the reasons for these "beginner" spells.

Arguing for passive healing to make it easier and insinuating that addons are necessary is just sad. Real healers don't want nor need passive healing. It's not skillful, nor is it fun when the game plays itself for me and just magically heals everyone. And no, addons are not necessary for mass raid healing. Understanding how to read and use your UI effectively in a raid setting is an important skill for any healer. A big part of what makes healing fun is having to decide who to heal when, what abilities to use, being able to pay attention to the battlefield and your UI, quick reactions, etc. and we've done all of that in other games. We don't need passive healing nor do we need healing addons. I understand that these are low level abilities, but I certainly hope they don't represent what it will play like at later levels.

I had a Holy priest in WoW and a Resto druid. I played a healer because I enjoyed it! I liked those nail biter moments when you had to find the most efficient way to save your team.
    A DPS going down because he wasn't listening.. the tank took a big hit, and a mage caught an add... what to do.
    HoT and bubble the mage, give the tank a long cast heal, rez the dps(or not, you've already had to rez him twice).

If Priests can't be Healers...well, lets not go there. They better be Healers.
    Atama wrote: »

I wouldn't consider Disc a passive healer. They definitely directly heal and require a lot of skill, they just do it mostly via placing a buff on their targets and then using damage to heal. With Disc you're still very much actively choosing targets, strategically choosing which skills to use and when. And the fact that that damage to heal buff is a short term, single target buff only adds to the skill and decision making required. It's definitely in the category of traditional active healer. Nobody just passively gets healed from a Disc Priest in WoW - you only get healed after the Priest has gone through a lot of effort and a lot of button presses to get there.
    I played a Disc priest in WoW (and really enjoyed it, it made healing fun) and I will second this. It's not like you just sit there spamming attacks and let everyone get passively healed by your presence. As you said, you have to keep the buff on people and it takes some skill to predict who needs it the most and prioritize it. It's kind of like juggling HoTs on people but you are also involved in the DPS side at the same time.

I will Third this.

Working directly and actively to keep your team alive is the hallmark of a healer.
    edited November 2020
    (double post)
    edited November 2020
    Warth wrote: »

@Pvp player

I agree also hard CCs are not necessarily overpowered. There are plenty of MMOs out there that balance the mechanics of CCs quite effectively. There is very much a risk vs reward when it comes to these abilities, healing shouldn't be an exception. Considering that we already know that certain classes get access to temporary CC immunity, I am sure that there will be an effective counter play to CCs. However they could also be how you defeat a cleric. This game will feature a rock/paper/scissor kind of balance and this could be what balances that particular class.

@Warth

My general point was more that we currently have skills that do everything and have no cast time, and we have skills that do less but do have a cast time. There doesn't seem to be a connection between what they do and how long it takes for them to do it.
    And "overpowered" might not be right term but in many MMOs they are "gamechangers" that can turn the tide of battle.

@Keern
    All the other skills just have the target flinching. But you might still be correct of course, we'll see.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Welcome to the community PvP Player.

Gear here will be agnostic as well. You can wear whatever armor you want. So the Idea of what cleric armor looks like is totally personal perception.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    pyreal wrote: »

You want for others to decide how to heal? No, thanks. If i want to heal through damage, then thats my decision. If you dont like how the cleric works at the moment, then this class is not for YOU. No one said that the clerics main job should not be healing. If that is what you understood, then thats your decision to think like that. Dont try to tell me what i mean.
    But if you dont understand this simple words what was meant with passive healing:
    1. No one said that you should stand around like a tree and heal everyone just through beeing there.
    2. Noone said you shouldnt have direct heals.
    3. Noone wants to steal your direct heals from you or something like that.
    4. With passive was meant that there are some heals that work different to direct heals. Spells which deal damage and then the game decides for you who gets the heal. Its just another game mechanic and it looks like it will be tested and maybe integrated in the final game. You dont like it? Well...then dont use these spells. You still dont like it? Well....maybe the cleric is realy not for you.
    5. Again, you dont decide for me how or what i play, so dont try to tell me which class is for me and which is not. If i have fun to play a more offensive cleric, then thats what will happen.
  • Amma wrote: »

5. Again, you dont decide for me how or what i play, so dont try to tell me which class is for me and which is not. If i have fun to play a more offensive cleric, then thats what will happen.

Id really hope there will be hybrid classes like an offensive cleric viable in the game. The classic me healer me heal approach the other guy described seems less fun.
    Kappa

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Keern wrote: »

Id really hope there will be hybrid classes like an offensive cleric viable in the game. The classic me healer me heal approach the other guy described seems less fun.
    I think that might be achievable through a combination of skill choices, gear, and augments. That’s my hope.

Hhak63P.png