Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild Map Tab?

KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I had a discussion with a few members of my guild and we came across an idea that I wanted to share. Most games have a guild menu with several tabs showing different things like roster, calendar, MOTD and more. What do you think about a map tab that leaders can customize for the rest of the guild to see? being able to update it with focus areas, areas to avoid, strategic movements, resource nodes and more would be awesome. I feel like something like this may not be too difficult to implement and would make for a unique sense of map awareness. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    StrixBitStrixBit Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly this is a solid idea. It would definitely be a good selling point to GMs of other games as well as big named gamers who have their own guild. It would also cause concern for spies. However, that could be avoided by making a point to set guild positions and only certain positions can access the map.
  • Options
    CaliberCaliber Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If this isn't implemented, I thought the best alternative would be to have a 3rd party interactive map and mark POIs and stuff like that there.
    2L6Sidx.png
  • Options
    So if I am in a guild, I don't have to worry about the fog of war? I can just know what is happening on the other side of the world? And I don't even have to move to have the map uncovered? Kewl.

There goes the idea of having some characters misled by bandits. Woot, I don't have to actually explore!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    So if I am in a guild, I don't have to worry about the fog of war? I can just know what is happening on the other side of the world? And I don't even have to move to have the map uncovered? Kewl.

There goes the idea of having some characters misled by bandits. Woot, I don't have to actually explore!

What if the pins just mark a point in the fog of war on your own map?

I think this would open the need for scouting/spying to be really useful to guilds.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh I saw this idea before and I liked the idea of it and thought it could work well as one of the optional perks that a guild could invest in. Think it could really come in handy!

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/48185/guild-map-a-take-on-the-traditional-guild-calendar
  • Options

You're right bro. Imagine going into a new town you have never been to in real life. You don't know the area. In your mind....the area is foggy (see where I am going here?). You are hungry AF and ask a local "where is a good place to eat?". He gives you directions on where to go and details of the surrounding area. Are you suddenly offended by this? Do you yell at him and say "NoW I DoN't GeT tO ExPlOrE tHe ArEa!?!?!". No, you don't. You thank them and go eat.

What I am suggesting is a way to better organize play with something practical and unique to an mmo experience. Still explore to remove fog of war
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    edited February 2021
    Yeah I like it a lot, the idea of having a big map on the guild hall or tavern wall to discuss strategies seems nice too.
  • Options
    What I am saying is that the development of the game is expecting to the have the fog of war and have uncertainties causing exploration.

Yes, great way to 'play'. It makes it much simpler for the people behind the keyboards. But since this has RPG in the name, I would expect/hope to have some role playing aspects. Like not breaking immersion because I can suddenly see what is on the other side of the world.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have always been a more privacy minded person. I tend to not even want me guild or close friends to always know what I am doing. Having this in the game means everyone knows where I am and can intuit what I am doing based on my location. I tend to always set myself as invisible, or appears offline. The reason for all of this cloak and dagger behavior is you never know what opportunities you will happen upon. Sometimes you need to get things done with friends in other guilds and don't want to start drama. That said, so long as there is a way for me to opt out. It is a decent idea. Not something I for sure want, but a tool I would not deny others of.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    What I am saying is that the development of the game is expecting to the have the fog of war and have uncertainties causing exploration.

Yes, great way to 'play'. It makes it much simpler for the people behind the keyboards. But since this has RPG in the name, I would expect/hope to have some role playing aspects. Like not breaking immersion because I can suddenly see what is on the other side of the world.

This is something that can easily be set to unlock once the area is explored. You don't gain access to this perk until you have fully explored an area and it only opens for that node. Both sides are appeased here.

@Vhaeyne I am the same way but as guild leader, I am not able to hide as easily : ). In response to your comment, I definitely do NOT want to see everyone aside from the mini map. I am wanting a simple tool that would allow me to organize my group while roaming or assaulting/defend a caravan/castle. This would just add a nice perk to the QOL for people running events.
  • Options
    So, looking through the wiki I see that Scribe is one of the crafting skills that will be available. So, would having people in a guild who make maps that they can mark with the information needed fill the the same role as the proposed UI element? Would also mean having an extra layer of security since you would be able to distribute the maps to the involved people rather than having something that a spy from a rival guild can easily see and relay to their boss.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I have always been a more privacy minded person. I tend to not even want me guild or close friends to always know what I am doing. Having this in the game means everyone knows where I am and can intuit what I am doing based on my location. I tend to always set myself as invisible, or appears offline. The reason for all of this cloak and dagger behavior is you never know what opportunities you will happen upon. Sometimes you need to get things done with friends in other guilds and don't want to start drama. That said, so long as there is a way for me to opt out. It is a decent idea. Not something I for sure want, but a tool I would not deny others of.

When I personally think of a guild map function, I wasn't thinking of a "live" map, but rather an interactive one. So in your case nobodies positions would be up but it would be more of like....you could draw lines or circle certain positions and write like Group A,B,C sort of thing. Could be useful for strategy, but also fun things like treasure hunts.
    Imagine this (but like a nice version where I'm not terrible) with pins and markers that could be updated based on need or strategy:
    J0A7xCo.png

As I was able to do this by using paint it could be done out of game sure, which is why my thought of making it an optional perk would just make it more convenient.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind a guild map located in the guild hall were people could go look at it. Could be an objective for enemy thiefs to spy on.
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

When I personally think of a guild map function, I wasn't thinking of a "live" map, but rather an interactive one. So in your case nobodies positions would be up but it would be more of like....you could draw lines or circle certain positions and write like Group A,B,C sort of thing. Could be useful for strategy, but also fun things like treasure hunts.
    Imagine this (but like a nice version where I'm not terrible) with pins and markers that could be updated based on need or strategy:
    J0A7xCo.png

As I was able to do this by using paint it could be done out of game sure, which is why my thought of making it an optional perk would just make it more convenient.

This 100%. This is exactly what I would hope it to look like. Give the guild leader the ability to choose who can write on the map and give everyone in guild the ability to see what is written. No players on the map (just the minimap). Purely for strategic purposes.