Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #27 - Ideal Class

Comments

• Options
    I`ll be definitly playing Bard.
    Not sure on the 2nd archetype. But definitly Bard. I want a class that is fun to play and I dont mind it being hard as long as its impactfull.

I want bard to play not only as boosting class, like "give 5% more physical damage" but Instead, it would be nice If we could influence the combat.

For exemple:
    Maybe we could have some bonusses up while fighting, like, we need to not repeat skills in order to keep a buff up, maybe we can have hp regeneration increased, sttagger reduced, mount speed increased, fear resistance, and at the same time, we can`t have it up all the time (Otherwise we are going to be used only as "Buff socket")

I want bards to be more of a controll characters, slowing or interrupting enemys, slowing enemys casts and boosting allies while fighting.

While obviously being able to take care of themselfs. That is the premiss right?

As a bard, you took charisma, negotiations and the ability to take you out of almost any situation as your path of living. Maybe we cant hit as hard as a fighter, but if you can run him or confuse him, we dont need to fight, you can run and live another day.

Still don`t have my mind set in what a good bard would be. And ill be defintly going to come back to make a better answer.

But I dont want it to be just a pocket buff you take cause you have to have someone to just give fighters more damage.

Since we wont be healing, I guess we will be dpsing, and maybe we can fight gathering combo points and spending them on aoe skill, scream, enchants, something. That boosts, or does damage, or cc enemys.

We just have to be versatil.

Thanks for asking us what we would like to have. Keep the good work!
  • Options
    I like mage+heal or mage+buffer. So, I can deal damage most of the time, but switch to support in hard situations. It makes more variety in the gameplay. Or opposite, heal+mage, buffer+mage.
  • Options
    I plan on trying out multiple play styles obviously but im most excited about Enchanter(Summoner/Bard). I am in love with the idea of summoning a lute and or other music instrument to buff my team and then a floating sword to do damage for me and a floating shield to block for me while i emote in the background. Not sure if thats what a bard summoner will actually look like,or what summoners will look like at all, and im resigned to stay that way for a while due to the obvious complexity of the class and having multiple summons for each secondary archtype. But i just like the idea of being able to be sassy in chat while my team fights for me :).
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I plan on trying to play a tanky melee dps. Most likely a baseclass of fighter with a secondary of cleric or tank but am also interested in rogue or mage as a secondary. If it ends up being hard to be a melee in big battles and rogue secondary augments a few of my abilities so i go temporarily invisible, i could see that as a necessity to break targeting and survive.

A random mechanical hope is for there to be melee abilities i can charge up similar to the berserker from tera or greatsword/hammer from Monster hunter. It would also be nice if i could move unhindered while charging.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I plan on trying to play a tanky melee dps. Most likely a baseclass of fighter with a secondary of cleric or tank but am also interested in rogue or mage as a secondary. If it ends up being hard to be a melee in big battles and rogue secondary augments a few of my abilities so i go temporarily invisible, i could see that as a necessity to break targeting and survive.

A random mechanical hope is for there to be melee abilities i can charge up similar to the berserker from tera or greatsword/hammer from Monster hunter. It would also be nice if i could move unhindered while charging.

Oooh, yes!!
    Charge up abilities for heavy weapons - that you can release at your discretion right when the enemy steps into range. >:)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    LughlaochLughlaoch Member
    edited February 2021
    Ideal class is Cleric/Paladin. Lotsa healing/buffs, armor, and hold-the-line-type. Like save-the-day, so glad you're here! I liked the WoW priest disciple class, but would have liked it to be styled more after a pally. DnD style clerics from the Dragonlance ruleset where magical abilities come from their devout deity worship; and because of this, they're limited in their magical attacks, but are deadly with maces/flails/morningstar and a shield. Maybe go as far as let them use polearms.
    I had played a game many years ago, name escapes me, where the cleric called upon favors (ultimates) from their god of worship. Each god had a different "vein" of bestowable types of curses/blessings, etc. BUT, if you had not performed the required about of supplication prior to battle, the ultimate could fail and you'd be cursed and/or unexpected side effects would occur. Made the class more in-depth as you actually needed to be a devoted cleric. Gonna bug me now that I can't remember the name, but I can see the old school graphics in my mind.

Really looking forward to the game! Please keep up the amazing work!

Dark Heart of Uukrul. From Wikipedia, "Finally, the priest send prayers to four different gods, and each prayer should have a certain effect, some similar to the magician's spells, and others unique to the priest. But the gods are whimsical or can be angered, so often prayers aren't answered, and sometimes the god smites back the priest for disturbing their godly rest."

EDIT: Found name on internet
  • Options
    Ideal? D&D Berzerker. Massive in your face damage output with no magic use and tanky. I hate how warriors,fighters,tanks are always billed as weapon aficionado's and yet expected to somehow be so inept with them that they can't deal damage. I hate having to use magic in any game to be effective in both tanking and dps roles, and will not play a magic user of any kind.

Thus far Dreadnought appears to fit the bill, but there's so little actual info on the classes yet, who knows.
    I'm hoping it will allow use of the tank harpoon pull skill alongside close the gap and rage elements. I like to be able to swap gear depending on my role at any given time. Big 2 handed sword for damage output, duel wield for a more defensive counterstrike form, and shield up for heavy tanking situations.
  • Options
    tianlanshatianlansha Member
    edited February 2021
    For me the ideal class would be a mixture of a Thief and a Cleric - a character that wears leather armor, uses short swords or daggers, ability to unlock doors/chests and has healing magic. A class that is neither good at DPS or healing, it's a "Jack-of-Some-Trades, Master of None". Ideal for solo play or with a small questing party.
  • Options
    As of now I plan to play a bladecaller. I imagine that the augments would add a summoned weapon to deal additional damage and enhance the bladecaller's item set special effects. For example, if I'm wearing armor or weapons that give me additional life on hit, the summoned weapon would proc that effect and give me extra life. Having summoned weapons mimic the player's attacks would be amazing too - one skill would summon a number of weapons and they'd imitate the player's skills (at a reduced damage) for the duration of combat. It'd also be awesome to have a sort of skill reminiscent of Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon from the Fate series, in which he's able to draw upon many different weapons from a pocket dimension for use in combat.
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would really like to be able to turn into a werewolf. Maybe Fighter/summoner could have a “shapeshifter” skill set?

Probably a lot of design resources to make something like this possible, and even more to keep it competitively balanced and fun to play. Would be cool though.

I’d be happy if at least the beast race has a werewolf looking character skin, and it isn’t all lizards and cats.
  • Options
    PandiumPandium Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Warlock! Dot skills, debuffs! Remember: There is no any real dot skills and debuffs in aoc, so please add Warlock class!
  • Options
    DeepDashingDeepDashing Member
    edited February 2021
    Shadow Lord or Shadowmancer
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Support class that can also drive opposing faction nuts in PvP while doing little to low damage. Make me wanted in every team. I'm hope to be a Bard/Bard
  • Options
    I personally am waiting patiently to see the Rogue full skill list but from what i've seen so far most likely Predator (Rogue/Ranger). The main reason being i'm often somewhat of a loaner/explorer as well as preferring to be a bit of a sniper on the edges of battle rather than directly in the frey. So far that seems probably the best fit however Nightspell (Rogue/Mage) does have me curious. It'll all really depend on the Rogue skills once we can see them all and that i believe is coming out in A1 so when i get my A2 access the choice will be made. I personally don't play alts in something like Ashes so i'll be looking really hard at the final choice. Keep up the good work!!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Without actual information about the classes it’s difficult to pinpoint one among the 64 classes that I want to play. But if I have to name one it would be Dualist, given its name and its first archetype - Rogue.

Many years ago I played a japanese game called Fantasy Earth Zero and I have been mesmerised by this class - Fencer ever since. I never resonated with any mmorpg class as much as it even including ~10 years of gaming after this game.

This class is squishy like a mage, short-ranged like a fighter, yet it does not have the one-shot bursts or stealth like an assassin. Still, it can be extremely deadly, if you know how to play, because of its high mobility, high normal attack damage and the hardest-to-use ability: counter-strike.

This ability, when activated, makes your character invincible for 0.x seconds and does one of two things: either you parry and counter strike the first incoming physical damage and stagger the opponent for 0.x seconds, or you get an animation lock for 1.x seconds if you did not get attacked physically. This means that you have to read your opponents, think as them, and be patient.

If you time it right, it is your most deadly weapon and gives you the satisfaction nothing else can. But if you miss, you will get punished heavily because of animation lock. And there are more limitations: you can still get hit by magical abilities, or physical abilities that have multiple hits, a limited amount of times you can use it in a period.

Obviously, this is a flawed design from last decade, that cannot be put in in AoC, as animation locks and staggering make the combat, albeit more realistic, less fluid. But the core idea can. A high skill cap squishy melee class with no stealth nor extreme burst damage, that requires you to think and play smart, to have good positioning, to be patient and creative about how you dive into the enemies instead of blindly using your high mobility. You learn to lose your bloodlust. You learn when to engage and when to dis-engage. You look for opportunities and seize them, like a fencer. You observe, you think and you react. You play smart or you die.

I want there to be reasons why I am using an ability instead of impetuously smashing 123412314423111321111.

I want there to be limits of the class and abilities that I can get around, if I can play smart enough, not an over-glamourised fantasy that tilts the balance and is invincible by default.

I want to be a victor by outplaying the enemy with my knowledge, skills and experience, not by having over-powered stats given by the system.

This is not just about a set of abilities or a play style. It is a mindset. It is acting as someone else in a Fantasy world. It is actual role-playing.

Oh yes if you haven't noticed yet, I am a (mostly) PvP player.
  • Options
    "My eyes are bigger than my stomach". My ideal class is the ultimate raid tank, crowd control, dps, or healer. Pure single focused badassery.

But I know my life won't permit that, I have kids, a job, and limited time:

So my ideal class is self reliant soloer. With proper execution I can solo things you probably shouldn't.

I tend to find that broken class who can slowly kite, DoT, or grind out something alone. No clue yet which that is yet, but summoner/cleric tend to be a safe bet.
  • Options
    I keep finding myself drawn to the fighter/summoner or summoner/fighter. The class fantasy for me is something along the lines of Joachim from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence for the PS2.

For those unaware, Joachim was a secret character that would summon swords to float around him and he could will them to hack and slash his enemies. I think this playstyle would be something truly unique and after seeing how well animations are coming along already in pre-alpha, I believe the animators could really have a blast with this.

/fingers crossed
  • Options
    Hawkeye is what im going for i cant wait to be in a huge pvp battle and sniper people with my arrows :wink: .

But i must admit Predator also sounds very fun i like the mix of the two!!
    hgadl7e44g58.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Without actual information about the classes it’s difficult to pinpoint one among the 64 classes that I want to play. But if I have to name one it would be Dualist, given its name and its first archetype - Rogue.

Many years ago I played a japanese game called Fantasy Earth Zero and I have been mesmerised by this class - Fencer ever since. I never resonated with any mmorpg class as much as it even including ~10 years of gaming after this game.

This class is squishy like a mage, short-ranged like a fighter, yet it does not have the one-shot bursts or stealth like an assassin. Still, it can be extremely deadly, if you know how to play, because of its high mobility and the hardest-to-use ability: counter-strike.

This ability, when activated, makes your character invincible for 0.x seconds and does one of two things: either you parry and counter strike the first incoming physical damage and stagger the opponent for 0.x seconds, or you get an animation lock for 1.x seconds if you did not get attacked physically. This means that you have to read your opponents, think as them, and be patient.

If you time it right, it is your most deadly weapon and gives you the satisfaction nothing else can. But if you miss, you will get punished heavily because of animation lock. And there are more limitations: you can still get hit by magical abilities, or physical abilities that have multiple hits, a limited amount of times you can use it in a period.

Obviously, this is a flawed design from last decade, that cannot be put in in AoC, as animation locks and staggering make the combat, albeit more realistic, less fluid. But the core idea can. A high skill cap squishy melee class with no stealth nor extreme burst damage, that requires you to think and play smart, to have good positioning, to be patient and creative about how you dive into the enemies instead of blindly using your high mobility. You learn to lose your bloodlust. You learn when to engage and when to dis-engage. You look for opportunities and seize them, like a fencer. You observe, you think and you react. You play smart or you die.

I want there to be reasons why I am using an ability instead of impetuously smashing 123412314423111321111.

I want there to be limits of the class and abilities that I can get around, if I can play smart enough, not an over-glamourised fantasy that tilts the balance and is invincible by default.

I want to be a victor by outplaying the enemy with my knowledge, skills and experience, not by having over-powered stats given by the system.

This is not just about a set of abilities or a play style. It is a mindset. It is acting as someone else in a Fantasy world. It is actual role-playing.

Oh yes if you haven't noticed yet, I am a (mostly) PvP player.

This sounds like modern day Fiora in League of Legends. She has a split second parry stance, which can negate almost everything in the game when used correctly, so a smart Fiora player is an almost unrivalled duellist. Her parry looks like this:
    Honeycam_2018-09-27_08-32-54.gif?type=w800

but you need to get the timing right or else this happens:
    AlarmingMistyFawn-size_restricted.gif
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I`m stoked about how the Sentinel will look like. I hope it's going to be a tank that can pull the aggro from creatures from a longer range if they "fall out of line" and try to jump a mage or archer. Or get the aggro of ranged creatures more easily. If that were the case, Sentinel is definetly my favourite :) I mean comeone, a big bulky guy that makes *pew* :)
  • Options
    High Priest, I just love healing people
  • Options
    I really like the concept of falconer and I had a cool idea for him. Have two different modes, one where the summon is a seperate entity and attacks on its own at your direction, and then have a mode where the falcon returns to you (becomes no longer a summon, but more of a buff) and gives you cool combo attacks.
  • Options
    I'm definitely going to be a tank as my main class, but I still can't decide if I want to have summons assisting me in my fight, magic spells influencing me, or just doubling up on the tank and going full guardian.
  • Options
    Weapon Master, Warden, or Hunter for me

I used to play DAOC and the system of classes of this game was truly amazing In my opinion.
    If AoC come close to it I would be the happiest. I think without copying sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Therefore, I would recommend logging on to DAOC to have a feeling of the classes and evolution.

Anyway I hope AoC will not be delayed to much over time, development is forever and sometimes you just have to lunch it fixing problems as they come. I wish you good luck. I think it's a fantastic project that can drive the young and old generation. Companies don't realize how much MMORPG is loved and how much public there is.

I would also like to have some kind of class that uses Transformation (animals, spirit, etc) or a kind of rage like Berserker or bloodthirst. I hope above the classes there will be enough races with different competence like a troll for strength, Kobolt for dexterity, Elf for Intelligence etc.
  • Options
    I have follow some MMOs for a while but this will be the first one I will actually be playing and hopefully a lot.
    For a favourite class I will decide that after having participated in the alpha2 and the betas to see how the game plays.

I never saw myself as a forward role which has to control the flow of the battle be it against mobs, bosses and even more so other player parties. Although if need be I could fill any role if join an organized group pre-launch.

That being said I would most likely prefer playing a long range classes or classes that keep the team alive:
    Wizard/Ranger : Archwizard, Hawkeye, Spellhunter and Scion classes for ranged DPS.
    Priest/Bard: High Priest, Minstrel, Scryer, Soul Weaver for maximum support capability.
    While also taking a race with a higher mana pool and magic related attributes to maximize the effects.

I don't see it as an issue being a pure support like some people, because I believe that being a part of a permanent group like a guild or a group of friends the gear will be equally spread to cover the needs of the supports so that they can be even more effective in the future.

Although depending on the way accounts and character limits work in ashes over time I would consider creating a multitude of characters ranging from pure supports to full glass cannon assassin classes.
  • Options
    I like classes that can sustain CC. Not sure which class that will be, but maybe scion (ranger/mage)? I don't have a preference for archetypes, so I will decide after seeing each classes abilities.
  • Options
    Im mostly intrested in the fighter archetype.

I imagine the Bladecaller as someone who has a lot of blades around him in the air, and he can controll them. In fight he can use them defensive or for range attacks or some flurry type combo attack. Examples are Irelia from League of Legends, or Killer B from Naruto. In his fight vs Sasuke he is constantly alternate between 8 blades with high speed.

I really like the classic, high dmg, go in/no out, with omega lifesteal, "berserker" type gameplay. Usually with dual wielding axes, 2hander swords. Some intresting HP mechanic, like some ability deal more dmg if u have less HP, or it cost HP, so u can manage ur health bar. Example: fury warrior from WoW.

I have this fear the Fighter/Fighter=Weapon Master will be more about fighting with a bunch of type of weapons. I would like it if this is not the case. In my mind this archetype is about mastering a particular weapon type (ex.: master of the sword). As gameplay i see this as special moves with the choosen weapon type. Example for character: Aphelios from League of Legends, he uses 5 guns and every gun has a unique effect (like cc, extra range, lifesteal)[maybe this idea is better for Fighter/Summoner]

The Highsword is another classic archetype for me. Its the templar, crusader, paladin stuff, with heals, shields, and the vengeance of righteousness. A divine hybrid.

The Shadowblade is for the real edgelords (like me xd). A squishy, super high dmg class. Black shadowy effects, japanese style, using a katana. Maybe shadow and lightning magic. Another Naruto example: Sasuke.

The Bladedancer can have special effects buffs on his ablities (like speed, resistances, etc.) and maybe uses stances.

Im not really intrested in the Hunter and Spellsword.

So this is my 2 cent. If u read it all props to u, if i made a bunch of mistakes sorry for them, english is not my fst language and i learned it on the internet. Have a lovely day ;)

• Options
    MethusilanMethusilan Member
    edited February 2021
    I have always loved the idea of a Mage-Tank. So, Spellshield is my pick.

I know there is an awesome black hole spell for the Mage but I have a fun little idea for an AOE aggro grab.
    Have the Spellshield stomp the ground sending spikes of ice upward and outward 360 degrees around the tank. Allow those to grab any enemies within range pull them to the tank. This ability shouldn't do a ton of damage but should create a moderate amount of equal aggro from each mob caught.

It may have been mentioned before but I also like the idea of a teleporting version of Onslaught. I feel like this should cause a large amount of aggro on the selected target.

The image of the two above spells cast back to back sounds super sexy.

Other abilities could involve:
    1.Spell reflect/damage mitigation for party members (buff)
    2. Bonus damage for spell casters in the party (buff).
    3. Maybe a fist or some form of visual energy that quickly generates a small portal to
    literally grab an enemy to pull threat off a party member.
    4. Visual armour and weapon augments based on elemental magic choice. i.e. flaming
    sword or electricity popping off the armour etc.
    5. Perhaps the ability to convert mana into health when needed. This would need on a long
    cooldown timer or have a smaller overall effect on health. Would hate to have a tank that
    didn't need a healer.

That's all I've got for now. And if these have already been mentioned somewhere above, I do apologize as I haven't gone through all the posts quite yet.

Thank you all so much for always asking for our input!
  • Options
    SalkimonSalkimon Member
    edited February 2021
    I am especially looking for all summoner clases and every class were summoner is the second archtyp.
    Most importantly im excited to see how the class gameplay is, because in the most games summoners are a trash class.
    Some games have very boring looking summons that i Think or hope it is not so in ashes i mean we all see some ridings etc and they look really good/cool/cute.
    Something i dont understamd is some games have a few summons that you can elect like i Think it was finL fantasy 14 with the same summon only different colour for the Element.
    And that you can have more than one companion.
    Also in most games the gameplay is always the same you yourself are basically useless and you say summon use this attack, it would be cool if you have an extra tab or something were you can change how they attack and that you get with a higher level a new attackformation and maybe for the Player self that you can use skills that are changing because of the summon you have like fire monster a fire ball earth monster earth ball ( that the player self have some cool looking animation and not only standing or moving and all Action and animations are with the summon)
    Most importantly pls make a useful ai for your summons.
    And also i like to interact with animal in game seven if its minimal it would be cool if you have some interactions maybe you can choose some of them and can put them somethere into your house.
    And last but not least that the summons are also growing maybe something like the breeding system for ridings for the summons and that they can level up (you can choose what stat should increase) and Evolve (maybe some Paths that you can choose something like Wolf can go to two headed than three headed wolf or to fire than to lava wolf ) with a apearance and ability change

Put it all together
    Not boring looking summons
    Not only one summon
    Maybe you can change your summon
    Maybe the summon you dont Pick are at your house
    More than one summon with you
    Player not useless he must not be strong he can e even weak but not only standing or walking
    Maybe attackformation tank summo have agro skill and begind it is a damage Dealer summon
    Useful ai
    Many interactions with summons
    Summon level up evolve and maybe breed

Im also mostly revering to the beasttmaster because i love the monster artworks and hope they also looking cool
  • Options
    Without a doubt, Rogue. Be the predator in the shadow waiting for the exact moment to stalk the prey.
    Stealthy and deadly.
    For me, the rogue class is defined in knowing how to wait for the right moment, look for the right prey and launch as quickly as possible and disappear.
    I've been in games like Lineage ll for years where this class has evolved as the game continues.
    From slowing down the enemy to jumping on their back or simply disappearing are skills that every rogue should have.
    With another point of view, blinding skills, smoke and critical points would make this class a lot of fun.
    In Lineage ll there was a low probability of hitting the enemy if you hit from the front, on the other hand, if the enemy was from behind you gave him a good blow.
    One of the classes that I had the most fun in each game.