Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #27 - Ideal Class

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    Whatever is closest to a Druid. I would also like to mess around with all the different Summoner combinations and see what crazy pets I can summon.
  • Options
    ShadowcraftShadowcraft Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hello there :)

Me personally I am l planning on going Summoner/Summoner.

What I would really enjoy seeing for summoners I would have to say are my top 5 wishes

1) The ability to discover, research, or make pacts with hidden summons as well as native magical or extra-dimensional beings you can find out in the world or perhaps summon to you in a summoning circle before attempting to bind into service or attempt to make a pact with depending on your playstyle.

2) The ability to work alongside other summoners to summon in something EPIC, I know there was talk about letting summoners do this in node wars maybe, but I think it would be kinda cool to include multiple options, perhaps hidden questlines groups of summoners could work upon in researching a ritual, what's needed, the number of summoners needed ect.

3) THE ABILITY TO SUMMON PLAYERS, be it being able to create portals for guild halls that connect with other cities, or literally a summoning spell to summon to you players you have entered into a pact with or something, I think that would be cool ;D

4) More meaningful relationships between summoner and intelligent summons, the ability to level them up, see them grow and develop alongside the player, and if at all possible to see some actual personality in each players summon to give them a bit of individuality so summons are something more than just an attack but are an actual companion for the summoner. wouldn't it be neat if at some point the summoner was summoned to their partner on their native realm and they call in a favor from the player :)

5) The ability to summon to my self... a rocking chair :)
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited March 2021
    Well think I answered question incorrectly think maybe you are asking about Dream class well ....
    just as a freindly reminder People really like the Idea of Double Shields but I main a Ranger /Hunter

So a Holy Avenger Celestial Ranger with pet dragon also clestial themed. Shooting around goldent holy power. would be pretty cool. Already talked about this in antoher post but was in the context of how Rangers could play healers however Dps version sounds better.

And of Course Double Shields!!!!!
  • Options
    SixxSixx Member
    edited March 2021
    TANK/NECROMANCER WITH SOME HEALING AB.

Just Imagine Walkin' So PRoud Of Your Self With Your Big Shield And Sword Being Able To Summon Undead Creatures To Fight For You .. meanwhile You Stay There Doin' Nothing Good Lookin' Badass Just Resisting Your Enemy's Damage Abs. And Then ''Powaaff'' from nowhere a bunch of undead skeletons fighting for yo *_*

that would be my ideal Class .

• Options
    SixxSixx Member
    Hello there :)

Me personally I am l planning on going Summoner/Summoner.

What I would really enjoy seeing for summoners I would have to say are my top 5 wishes

1) The ability to discover, research, or make pacts with hidden summons as well as native magical or extra-dimensional beings you can find out in the world or perhaps summon to you in a summoning circle before attempting to bind into service or attempt to make a pact with depending on your playstyle.

2) The ability to work alongside other summoners to summon in something EPIC, I know there was talk about letting summoners do this in node wars maybe, but I think it would be kinda cool to include multiple options, perhaps hidden questlines groups of summoners could work upon in researching a ritual, what's needed, the number of summoners needed ect.

3) THE ABILITY TO SUMMON PLAYERS, be it being able to create portals for guild halls that connect with other cities, or literally a summoning spell to summon to you players you have entered into a pact with or something, I think that would be cool ;D

4) More meaningful relationships between summoner and intelligent summons, the ability to level them up, see them grow and develop alongside the player, and if at all possible to see some actual personality in each players summon to give them a bit of individuality so summons are something more than just an attack but are an actual companion for the summoner. wouldn't it be neat if at some point the summoner was summoned to their partner on their native realm and they call in a favor from the player :)

5) The ability to summon to my self... a rocking chair :)

Imagine if You Could Ride some Of thee Sumons lmao
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

my ideal class would be:
    1) Archwizard - dealing high amounts of damage / having AOE spells to effect the battleground. At the same time it would be awesome to have some defensive spells as well to not be just deleted withing 1 sec :smile:, more like in 5 seconds seems like a good trade-off!
    2) Strider - a ranger that can wield a two handed sword and be able to stand his ground in 1vs1 close combat fights
    3) Shaman - I would like to see shaman based in nature, to be close to native american shamanism, to be close to the spirits of men and animals alike. Shaman is close to a society but at the same time dives deep into the realm of spirits.
    4) What I would love to see in the future - druid, something like in world of warcraft (classic) - to be able to transform to an animal form, use various healing nature spells, to be able to commune with nature. Some big treant ability would be amazing as well :-).

Thank you for making this awesome project come to life - meaning AOC not my ideas ! Haha.

Alvalon,
    Vaelune Archwizard
  • Options
    Shadow Lord caught my eye because the name is so incredibly edgy, but then I realized a rogue/summoner could have some real potential. I think it would be cool to be a rogue who commands the battlefield by summoning smoke clouds in various places. The shadow lord could do things like teleport between smoke clouds, or maybe they could transform them into poison clouds that hurt whoever gets near them. In PvP you could potentially create a troll-y guessing game using the smoke.
  • Options
    Bard/Bard so far, but it depends on how the class and skill systems are on launch. I'm extremely adaptive when I play these kinds of games. I kinda just wait a while until I know all of the skills I want to use and that are actually good. Then I plan a build. Then I play the way I want to with those in mind.

So regardless of what I would say I will probably end up playing it differently than I might necessarily want to. I deal in absolutes when I craft builds so I only get screwed over by skills leveling into bad skills and nothing else really.

I will find a way to have fun with my class no matter how the game is constructed. So the more choices the more fun the game will probably be for me. Also the more illusion of choice is avoided the better. It's not really a choice if a lot of the skills suck.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NashtyNashty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the shadowlord would be a unique path. Summon unique creatures or mechanisms then sit back and launch an armada of projectiles from a distance.

It would be cool to tie class development into skill development. A shadowlord creates better long range magic weapons, a duelist makes more unique dual wield weapons. An archwizard makes all powerful staffs , but can't make robes like a spellstone. I want to be in a world where every player vendor has items you say WOW that is cool. That said I hope the Auction market is heavily nerfed to make players communicate. UO everyone was out yelling they had something to sell. WoW every sits around just scanning the market. I think Dual Universe was close, but there should be an emphasis on exploring unique commerce areas.

Also it would be cool if there is speech enabled not just text boxes. Everyone defaults to Discord and I would like to see that not be the case.
  • Options
    I default to sneaky playstyles in MMOs. It's pretty fun to bide your time while the enemy doesn't even know you're there, and once you make your presence known they are already in a world of hurt. For combat to feel good, mobility must be commonplace too, because when you're out of stealth the dance with death begins. Being able to dodge things with both the common dodge rolls and movement abilities alike is paramount. Another nice bundle of features would be things like traps, since outsmarting your opponent is pretty fun as well. I also agree with Nashty that there should be proximity chat in the game - being able to sneak around and listen in on people's conversations would be amazing.

Additionally, since I'd like to be a Bounty Hunter, it would be cool if, say, the Predator class had some augments that gave advantages against Corrupted players. An example could be a passive increase to movement & cast speed when close a Corrupted player, with the increase proportional to how much corruption that player has.
    Thief of Time
  • Options
    GubiakGubiak Member
    edited March 2021
    Though magic is cool I never liked the concept of being weak in body with dinky wand/staff to cast spells in order to master it. Spell users that either cast with grimoires or melee weapons (summoners/spellswords) would be pretty compelling choices next to the staples of cool which for me would be fully plated warrior type character with a big weapon or one in each hand; or an edgy/stealthy assassin getting the job done from the shadows.

Thinking of starting with Fighter/fighter or fighter/dreadnaught for that plateboy feel. If not then rogue/rogue or rogue/summoner for the shadow boi. lastly some variation of summoner resulting in most demonic summons. So many choices :)

Edit: Not a fan of holy class cleric being only option for healing realistically. A bit disappointed there is no direction of nature healing with druid, but it is what it is, maybe it will be one of those games where I just don't touch the healing.
  • Options
    zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My ideal class revolves more around the support concept. Not strictly healing but more about buffing and providing utility to players in my party. I am one of those players that prefers to always be with another and funneling my own power into that other player is definitely the fantasy I'm most interested in.
  • Options
    I'm late but my dream class is a battlemage that dual wields 1 handed melee weapons and is a glass cannon. I wanna have a high offensive mid-close range output but have it counter balanced by little to no personal defensives. I don't care if I get 2 shot if I can 1 shot.
  • Options
    FokkoFokko Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm kinda late but for me the go to class is Bard+Rogue.

I like the idea to play a supportive class that have the option to not be only supportive but that can also be a real threat to my foes but in a subtely way.

This quote from the wiki talk to me a lot

"The bard knows secret and powerful words, is able to speak into being terrible nightmares, or convince foes to become friends."

Since bard is an arcane classe I imagine myself being able to do things in a "magical" way. Which is cool.

Rogue also open ways for going in and out the fight easily to make sure I buff / debuff everyone that need it wherever they are.

One of my favourite things to do in WoW was mind controlling someone off a cliff to death. :p

Another combo that I would like to try is Bard + Ranger.

Being an archer supportive class is also pretty attractive. Again I like to be part of the battle for my friends and for my enemies but of course without being in trouble too much myself.

I think the fact that bard is classified as "arcane" open a lot of creative way to use this class.
  • Options
    I'm hoping there is an option for the Bard to have an option to not be a traditional bard, especially when the augments of another class are layered on. I just find the bard concept is not good as an 'adventuring class' and more an NPC profession. I've found in gaming history thier powers tend to be repeditive musical choices, or if given a the choice, even a limit selection, they will eventually drift for personal ammusement into the most annoying choices.

The King's Avatar fictional MMO had a class that does the same job in the form of a Phantom Demon, casting magic circles on the ground for similar buff/debuff effects but a more magic/rogue theme. Actually several of the classes described had very fun unique build options (which is easier in said in fiction than implimented in code).

More than anything I hope that the Augment choices will feel different, and not be anything blatant like each second class provides 4 'augment types', one adding pure damage, one doing extra damage and buffs, one extra damage and debuffs, and one utility (For mage respectively Fire, Lightning, Cold and Teleport).
  • Options
    My ideal class is a top notch healer that can do enough damage to survive random trash to get to a group or dungeon without it being a life or death trip.

I loved my EQ1 cleric but they were painful early on.
  • Options
    Juicy DubsJuicy Dubs Member
    edited April 2021
    The "Necromancer-healer" spec described in my recent posts. Much to my dismay should this turn out to not exist, as much "Glass-Cannon" mage as I can be.

Then perhaps a supporty Bard/mage type for an alt, or Battle Mage if I can effectively mage-tank.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    will either go Assasin or Templar

so excited to see how both of these play!
  • Options
    Nightspell (Rogue/Mage) sounds really fun to me. I like the idea of being able to dish out massive amounts of burst with both physical and magic damage types. Add some teleportation in the mix too and you've got a potent magical assassin
  • Options
    I might be a bit late on this but in case you're still reading:

I want a death magic class. Clerics would be ideal for this as they are described as master of life AND death. A class that can drain the life-force of enemies and weaken them while strengthening themselves and allies would be awesome. Think Clerics from D&D. You choose life or death and go with it, with a high priest being the balance of the two.

Whether this will even be a thing in ashes of creation will very much dictate whether I play it.
  • Options
    DracoUlthimaDracoUlthima Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In my opinion, there have been no really good Wizard in an MMO for a long time. For me, the ideal class is a mage who has both AOE and single attacks. But a magician must really be a magician. He should have both summons and debuffs. The magician must have his own magic shield, and not die from one arrow.
    In general, I am for combat necromancers who can summon)

На мой взгляд - в ММО давно не было действительно хороших магов. Для меня идеальный класс - маг, у которого есть как АОЕ так и одиночные атаки. Но маг должен быть действительно магом. У него должны быть и призывы, и дебаффы. Маг должен обладать своим магическим щитом, и не умирать от одной стрелы.
    В общем я за боевых некромантов, владеющих призывом)
    7ec641dc1572.png

• Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I require a class that can switch roles. It can only do one effectively at a time, but when it does that role its fully viable end game. I am not looking for a jack of all trades, master of none (i.e. a hybrid that can fill two roles at the same time, but does so suboptimally).

I use the term "Require" here as this is truly mandatory for my long term enjoyment of a game. I like to tank, dps, and heal. I'm open to trying out support as well (so long as it's active gameplay). A game that locks me into a single role per character will struggle to hold my interest long term.

I've got a lot to complain about with various decisions the WoW team has made over the years, but one thing they have done well is they have continued to improve on the opportunity I have to play different roles with a single character... Ironically, I play a Druid, Monk, and Priest primarily in WoW (so I can experience multiple roles across multiple playstyles). I barely touch the DPS only classes as the long term potential is too limiting.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly, this is a hard one to answer as I'm not sure what will be the end classes be like, as well as augments.

If a Death Knight will be possible, I wish to see a Plate using warrior that utilises Death magic, either by imbueing his melee attacks with powerful death magic, or death magic used only for/on undead minions while your own attacks are just Empowered by your own unholy strength. Maybe steal Frost theme from WoW DKs and use it for Frost Augment?

If Death Knights won't exist at all, then as a Weapon Master, I want to see huge skill gaps between me and other weapon users. I want to see my Weapon Master use various martial techniques with a small cultivator techniques to make them a bit flashier. I want to feel like a swordsman or a berserker when I charge into the enemy ranks. Be it cool skill animations or fast fluid movement.

There is more, but it would be going into way too much detail
  • Options
    RingarRingar Member
    I’m player of summoner in a different game, this role usually is focused more in Dots than pets. However, The naming is summoner!!

My ideal Summoner class will be a class that the pet will be essential and a very important part of the job with this different list of options:

• Good manager system, be able to set location like mage AOE, not only (attack and return).
    • Be able to tank with the pet as main tank Summoner/Tank, The augment become to heal pet, buf, etc… and do less damage, (Ride tank pet to share the risk of die, and have more control).
    • Be able to support with the pets.
    • Be able to summon one or more than one pet.
    • Be able to send a huge amount of pet of 1 hp to slow incoming monster or player.
    • Summon scale with player equip.
    • Summons can easily target from Party or Raid members to heal them.
    • AOE heal and buff from ally affect the summon too.
    • As Summoner/Bard, the ability to transfer pet to another class to helping in their role, send to summoner to heal, to bard to buff to tank give shields, to mage clone her and mirror spells, etc.
    • Merge summons of different summoners to have huge summon but loosing part of potential -> 2 Summons have 1 hp + 1 hp – 10%, 3 Summons have 1 hp + 1 hp – 25%, and bigger, with max of X with ultimate version (different aspect).
    • The ability to change position with your summon.
    • The option to have different options of summon lvl, at lvl 1 you have baby turtle, and you should train or to lvl up and your pet become different more complex.
    • The option to unlock secret summon.
    • The option to summon a pet as a summon and your abilities affect it.
    • Change your point of view to summon, and move it like your own char.
    • Summon undead, beast, elementals, Deamons, and light/dark Spritins, usually summoners only have “Dark” summons.
    • Have different summons deepens of race, faith, faction, etc.
    • Finally, the most crazy be able to summon another player in range like “pull”.
  • Options
    Most likely Summoner because it gives me the most RP options. I believe it’s the experiences we create within our games that make the most memorable experiences as players.

I still remember playing vanilla WoW in 2005 when I, a warrior, would duel my buddy, a shadow priest, literally hundreds of times to help him be better at fighting them. He said it is what helped him get to Warlord. One of my top memories.

One example getting back to my original point would be as a necromancer I bind with my minion(s) who past away before completing an important task and I help them find closure in the world of Verra.
  • Options
    I believe that there will be a strict advantage to a wide attack variety so I will go with a summoner Archetype and then a secondary that allows the most summons.

There has been talk of the summons being able to be members of the trinity so multiple summoners covering the trinity with buff support should do wonders in game.
    2cuMn4T.png
  • Options
    DeepDashingDeepDashing Member
    edited June 2021
    Can we have a class based on the Solo Leveling? So it would either be Shadow Lord or Shadowmancer from the current archetypes I see on the wiki.

Some of the things I would really like for Summoner class would be:
    1. Allow summoners to create/store summons out of the mobs/boss (for boss, it could be like a nerfed boss, so its not OP) they defeat.
    2. Allow summoners to only use the summons they have stored (see point 1).
    3. Summons have ability to rank up based on the experience they gain from being summoned.
    4. Allow summoners to name their summons.
    5. Allow summoners to store x amount of summon but they can only use y amount of summons at any given point based on their mana, and active summons drain mana?
    6. Will add more later.
  • Options
    I am not sure of the best place to comment this. Maybe this post is too old and no-longer monitored.

It is very important to me. I think FFXIV does the class system in a good way. The jobs can be changed relatively easily.

You have 1 character, you can have many jobs, or classes. Level them up as you like, swap as you like. It means you have a Character. That character and all the RP for that character is you and what you have done.

I absolutely hate needing to have alts for different roles. A tank, a Healer, a ranged dps, a melee dps. Having to reapeat the story progression and everything else. It breaks the Role Play, it breaks the character.

To me it breaks the world. I either have a character with a story, or I don't. If i want to have an ALT its because i want a new Story, not because I want a new job.

I think bellular said it well recently. In WOW characters are Toons. In FFXIV the character is you - this is your story.

If someone from Ashes is reading this I am very proud of you, your doing a great job, keep up the great work - as there is no real reason you should see this. haha i am 4 months late.