Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should there be an outlaw town for Pkers?

Based on my time in the game UO, aka Ultima Online, where you had a PKer system where you went from grey to red. Grey being your open to attacks cause you killed someone or stole from someone, too red where you are just a killer, and you can enter any towns without being killed by guards.

Not sure if this topic was talked about, but I was thinking, why not have a town for the killers?

If not a town, then a caravan type, one they can be setup in hidden locations, and can grown to a level 2 or 3 only. This town needs to be one that can be taken down, and could be relocated to a different hidden location. One only known by a few PKers. A safe place for them to call home, and where they can sell or buy goods as needed.

Think of it as an outlaw town, one that could be moved after a day or two. A few tents and shacks and this can be a nice place for the villain type players. What do you think? Of course these type of camp towns wouldn't be allowed to be setup close to regular ones.

This is just a though, one I am floating out there, to see if others like it or not.

So what do you think? Please express yourself.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is maybe the 4th or 5th thread on this over the years. Corruption is not meant to be a reward. It is a punishment. All stick, no carrot is what they have sold it as to those coming into the game worried about non-consensual pvp. If they start changing it for niche players and cut the nuts off the punishment aspect, then it will go poorly as it has in other places.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    edited February 2021
    "So what do you think?"

I think it would be cool af, and I think can be cool if maybe you can take rewards in the "pk town" for kill people (But need to be very difficult)
  • Options
    Nothing about the outlaw town would be a reward. Its just a place to run off to and hide if need be. But the town would be far from safe.

1. The town should be open to attacks
    2. Buildings can and should be destroyed.
    3. The town is only there to help the red player for short periods of time.

My whole point was to have this town location known if a player goes red, and it gives them a chance to escape for a short amount of time. But the town should after that relocate to some place else, do to the nature of the town. They don't want the good guys to know about the shady business options they offer.

Just something different to add to the life of a PKer and PKer hunters
  • Options
    Sholer wrote: »
    "So what do you think?"

I think it would be cool af, and I think can be cool if maybe you can take rewards in the "pk town" for kill people (But need to be very difficult)

Well the whole point of the outlaw town would be a safe place for PKers to go, but at the same time it would be out to attacks by the player base. To destroy it would be a great way to earn big rewards, but at the same time shouldn't be easy to take down.
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Might be interesting to see something like that as part of the roleplay!

I don't plan on actively PKing, so if I see such a group I'll inform the bounty hunters, but I'm intrigued by the idea that it could also be a story that colors the world of Ashes :D
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    No. As already stated, Corruption isn't meant to be a good thing. So my suggestion would be, if you're a ganking clown (which is normally who makes these posts) you better fully understand that your choice now has a consequence.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited February 2021
    Should there be an official "Pirate Cove" absolutely not. You should not be rewarded with all the amenities law abiding citizens of the server have. This is basically an instance of having your cake and eating it too.

If you choose to PK that is a CONSCIOUS choice you have made and should not be rewarded for it. If you don't like the consequences, don't kill others.

However....there is nothing to say Outlaws couldn't establish their own temporary hideouts. You could upgrade an out of the way node and declare it as a PKer safehaven. Don't expect it to last long however as word spreads and a gaggle of Bounty Hunters then descend on your little outpost and wipe you out.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    AntVictus wrote: »
    No. As already stated, Corruption isn't meant to be a good thing. So my suggestion would be, if you're a ganking clown (which is normally who makes these posts) you better fully understand that your choice now has a consequence.

No I am not a ganking clown, but I remember the days of playing UO, and it that game there were gangs of PKers that would raid dungeons and roads into town. This is an idea to not reward PKers, only to give them a place to rush off too. At the same time these Outlaw zones would be open to attacks and or destroyed. In UO PKers could port in and out of places fast. In AoC there isn't a portal system to escape, so why I said maybe setup a same outlaw camp or town. This would be a place to hide, but not escape justice. So this is far from rewarding anyone.

The whole point is to add another level to the PKer class, people will do it, so why not have more levels to this dark side of life. If nothing else, it gives something more for the bounty hunters to go after, and they can get bigger rewards.
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Should there be an official "Pirate Cove" absolutely not. You should not be rewarded with all the amenities law abiding citizens of the server have. This is basically an instance of having your cake and eating it too.

If you choose to PK that is a CONSCIOUS choice you have made and should not be rewarded for it. If you don't like the consequences, don't kill others.

However....there is nothing to say Outlaws couldn't establish their own temporary hideouts. You could upgrade an out of the way node and declare in as a PKer safehaven. Don't expect it to last long however as word spreads and a gaggle of Bounty Hunters then descend on your little outpost and wipe you out.

This! The meta of PVP will develop this on each server organically. They'll be in places that are near mobs to work off karma and away from paths and cities to stay hidden from others. Hunting Reds or hiding as one is fun because no place is safe.

I'm going to go opposite of this entire post. If you are housing / harboring a Red, say in your freehold, then there should be consequences. Maybe some of your properties functionality no longer works, or when you leave you are now flagged as a co-conspirator (like if you heal / buff a red you're flagged).

PS: I'm a hardcore pvp'r. so before you go calling me a pve nub that is only saying this because of that think again. I want a real hard choice to be made before a PK is made. I want players to sweat bullets when they turn RED. Lastly, i've use this gif for the past 3+ years since this is what i crave but this is what it should feel like:

giphy.gif
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »

However....there is nothing to say Outlaws couldn't establish their own temporary hideouts. You could upgrade an out of the way node and declare in as a PKer safehaven. Don't expect it to last long however as word spreads and a gaggle of Bounty Hunters then descend on your little outpost and wipe you out.

This! The meta of PVP will develop this on each server organically. They'll be in places that are near mobs to work off karma and away from paths and cities to stay hidden from others. Hunting Reds or hiding as one is fun because no place is safe.

I'm going to go opposite of this entire post. If you are housing / harboring a Red, say in your freehold, then there should be consequences. Maybe some of your properties functionality no longer works, or when you leave you are now flagged as a co-conspirator (like if you heal / buff a red you're flagged).

PS: I'm a hardcore pvp'r. so before you go calling me a pve nub that is only saying this because of that think again. I want a real hard choice to be made before a PK is made. I want players to sweat bullets when they turn RED. Lastly, i've use this gif for the past 3+ years since this is what i crave but this is what it should feel like:

giphy.gif

I might be wrong, but if you go red, then you can't enter the town safe zones? So trying to hide one in your freehold is out of the question, since its within the towns node area?

This is why I said make the outlaw zone, then they can escape for a short while, and these places are open to attacks. But its just an idea.
  • Options
    No to that idea. If people want something similar, then put up a couple of Freeholds adjustant to each other. Won't be a real town, but you do have somewhat of a safespot for you and your corrupt buddies to group up and play house in.

• Options
    You know, if players are going to play the role of a pirate, they will need a lace to hide too. Its not just about the guys on land only.
  • Options
    granthor wrote: »
    You know, if players are going to play the role of a pirate, they will need a lace to hide too. Its not just about the guys on land only.

you dont get corruption from robbing sea based caravans.

So no you actually dont
  • Options

If you want to play the role of a bandit, you can attack caravans without gaining corruption. I guess that while playing the role of a pirate, you can attack water caravans, again without gaining corruption. (I assume there will probably be water caravans.)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

giphy.gif

I might be wrong, but if you go red, then you can't enter the town safe zones? So trying to hide one in your freehold is out of the question, since its within the towns node area?

This is why I said make the outlaw zone, then they can escape for a short while, and these places are open to attacks. But its just an idea.

You are sort of wrong, but on the right track.

There are no "safe zones" anywhere in the game. The only time you are safe from attack is if you are in merchant mode. You can lock yourself out of other players way in your house, but as far as we know, if someone does manage to get to you, they can still attack you there.

However, if you have corruption, all guards will attack you on sight. This means that if a group of corrupt players attempted to level up a node to make it their safe haven, as soon as the node was high enough to have guards, they would attack those same players.

If you are corrupt, you are not supposed to have somewhere to run off to. There isn't supposed to be a safe place to go.

What you are supposed to do is work off that corruption as soon as you can.

If you want to RP as a pirate, the activities that a pirate would actually do (plunder caravans - particularly on the water) doesn't cause corruption.

Its only murder hobos that get corruption - people that attack and kill other players that do not fight back.
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Based on my time in the game UO, aka Ultima Online, where you had a PKer system where you went from grey to red. Grey being your open to attacks cause you killed someone or stole from someone, too red where you are just a killer, and you can enter any towns without being killed by guards.

Not sure if this topic was talked about, but I was thinking, why not have a town for the killers?

If not a town, then a caravan type, one they can be setup in hidden locations, and can grown to a level 2 or 3 only. This town needs to be one that can be taken down, and could be relocated to a different hidden location. One only known by a few PKers. A safe place for them to call home, and where they can sell or buy goods as needed.

Think of it as an outlaw town, one that could be moved after a day or two. A few tents and shacks and this can be a nice place for the villain type players. What do you think? Of course these type of camp towns wouldn't be allowed to be setup close to regular ones.

This is just a though, one I am floating out there, to see if others like it or not.

Mortal Online also had outlaw towns. I like the idea for UO and MO but it doesn't seem like it would fit in Ashes system.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

giphy.gif

You are sort of wrong, but on the right track.

There are no "safe zones" anywhere in the game. The only time you are safe from attack is if you are in merchant mode. You can lock yourself out of other players way in your house, but as far as we know, if someone does manage to get to you, they can still attack you there.

However, if you have corruption, all guards will attack you on sight. This means that if a group of corrupt players attempted to level up a node to make it their safe haven, as soon as the node was high enough to have guards, they would attack those same players.

If you are corrupt, you are not supposed to have somewhere to run off to. There isn't supposed to be a safe place to go.

What you are supposed to do is work off that corruption as soon as you can.

If you want to RP as a pirate, the activities that a pirate would actually do (plunder caravans - particularly on the water) doesn't cause corruption.

Its only murder hobos that get corruption - people that attack and kill other players that do not fight back.

I will look up the corrupt system for this game, cause truth be told I think I am mixing up what I seen in UO with this one. Oh the memories of those blasted PKers running wild on the roads of Britannia
  • Options
    Mowaby wrote: »

Mortal Online also had outlaw towns. I like the idea for UO and MO but it doesn't seem like it would fit in Ashes system.

One of the things I remember from UO were the PKer wars at the time of server maintenance. The last few minutes were never saved, and people went ape nuts attacking each other right before the servers went down.
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mowaby wrote: »

One of the things I remember from UO were the PKer wars at the time of server maintenance. The last few minutes were never saved, and people went ape nuts attacking each other right before the servers went down.

UO was amazing. Mortal Online was a ton of fun too and based on the UO pvp system. In Ashes every town aka node is built by a community. The only way I could see them having an outlaw city is for the mayor to be able to turn off guards or something. I don't think they want PKs to have an easy time at all though.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I might be wrong, but I don't think there will be towns outside of the developable nodes anyways? If there are I feel like that's going to take away from the whole node system a bit, which is a huge part of ashes, considering people could just go to these random towns instead of the player established nodes.
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I don't think there will be towns outside of the developable nodes anyways? If there are I feel like that's going to take away from the whole node system a bit, which is a huge part of ashes, considering people could just go to these random towns instead of the player established nodes.

There won't be as far as we know. Unless its part of a dungeon setup or something similar. Even the starting cities will be nodes.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Would be funny to see a bunch of PK'ers take over a node and build a society.
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited February 2021
    The corruption system needs to work as intended, so I don't see the need for any new game mechanics or special deals for corrupted players.

Every corrupted player can run and hide from Bounty Hunters to their heart's content. If you have uncorrupted buddies that are prepared to run errands for you to a nearby node so that you don't have to show your face, then that works well enough for me. You could just donate all you stuff to them then go die a few (hundred) times to lose the corruption. Your buddies could collect the bounty. Then you can reclaim your stuff (if they let you!) and start working off your EXP debt. That is "risk versus reward" (RvR) working perfectly!

If you want to kill other players, why not join in on one of the many PvP activities (caravans, sieges, arenas) and fight someone who is prepared to fight back?

Why do you want to kill a green?
    Picking a fight with a green should only ever be because 1) they've been disrespecting you in chat (your RvR choice) or 2) you've seen them gather stuff that is worth the corruption to make them drop it (your RvR choice). That is worth less if you die (rinse repeat) before you can offload it.

Are we looking at the demographic that aren't very good at PvP but still want to feel good / brag about killing other players?

Players that only want to kill soft targets (for kicks) seem like cowards to me. I am happy that the corruption system discourages cowards from playing.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Shame they can't put a little questionnaire on creating a forum thread:

"Is this thread about reducing Corruption penalties?
    Is this thread about removing Open-World PvP?
    Is this thread about disliking placeholder Animations?
    Is this thread actually about WoW?"

If "YES", Delete thread.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Well, well, well. Calm down.
    I think I he was just trying to have a constructive discussion about an idea that came to mind that I he thought might give more depth to the world of roleplaying and Ashes.

Often good things come from this kind of flexible thinking ;)
    I want this forum to be a place where people can freely express their ideas.

*I realized that there was a terrible mistake in the second line, so I corrected it :s
    If I write a sentence that doesn't make the subject clear, I put my translation software in a bad mood ……
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The corruption system, as some of you are describing it, is terrible. The point of games is to have fun. The corruption system “punishes” players by putting highly aggressive players into a very high risk-reward situation. That doesn’t mean that being “corrupt” shouldn’t also be fun. Games shouldn’t have systems that make players not want to play the game at all.

I understand that some people here are terrified of getting randomly pk’d, but quite frankly there are always those players who enjoy being so toxic in an MMO that those players deserve to have a train other people pk them on site, and I’m glad this game mechanic exists where players can handle the worst people of the community interactively through “aggressive negotiations”.

Additionally, corruption lets players become the outlaws if they choose to walk that high risk path. It’s ok to make it a very restricted gameplay style, but it shouldn’t make “staying red” not an option if you’re hardcore enough to be that bad. Players really do make the best villains.

Finally I’d like to point out that some of the posters here act like disagreeing with “what Steven said” is some sort of sin. This is a discussion forum, and I’m pretty sure he wants to hear our opinions...especially when they don’t agree with his own.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, Corruption will be matched by item degradation efficiency losses by the sounds of things. Players can troll non-combatants who want to just PvE by repeat deaths and forcing efficiency loss on Greens. I think the corruption system is perfectly fine. Griefers will be griefers and griefers will go red much like in BDO.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Well the whole point of the outlaw town would be a safe place for PKers to go, but at the same time it would be out to attacks by the player base. To destroy it would be a great way to earn big rewards, but at the same time shouldn't be easy to take down.

480 square km above ground + 100 square km underground = 223 sq miles. In summary, there are plenty of places for the corrupted to hide. Best to scatter and not gather in one place. I'm assuming that everyone has read:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
    https://ashes101.com/pvp <scroll down to corruption>

If you've read the above then you would realise that the most corrupt show up on Bounty Hunter maps. Do you want to be in the same location that the Bounty Hunters are already homing in on?

_IF_ a town for the corrupted were allowed to exist it would be the easiest to take down. Lay the siege. Ill-gotten loot is now trapped in node storage. During siege prep kill the corrupted, many may lose gear and swap corruption for EXP debt and death penalties. Siege prep won't see many defensive tasks completed because the Bounty Hunters are ready to kill corrupted whenever they log in. During the siege the corrupted defenders have less gear and are weakened by penalties. How could this ever fit "shouldn't be easy to take down"? Seems like the weakest siege target ever!
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    If a GREEN is gathering with a mule then you can kill the mule without killing the player and getting corruption.

This specific scenario was answered by Steven. Mules, combat pets, and mounts fall under the flagging system. If you kill their mule, you gain corruption.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Hmmm ......
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding because I'm reading a translated version of the text.

Is anyone else under the misconception that the person who created this thread is expressing an opinion specific to a "system for RED players to survive"?
    To me, I think he's saying that it would be interesting if the game system had the scope of roleplaying that RED organizes, assuming you're willing to accept risks such as "being targeted by bounty hunters" ......

Of course, this is a proposal for a specification that is not currently envisioned, so I can understand your confusion, but I don't think it's something you should reject to that extent.

Am I simply mistaken?