Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should there be an outlaw town for Pkers?

Comments

• Options
    I can imagine lots of players wanting to explore and find out the experience on the island, so it should bring enough penalty to disincentivize hordes of players being drawn too it. Maybe no level progression while being on the island.

If you want to prevent PvP with boredom, why work so much, to implement an island and boring quests?
    You can just make a black screen with a counter and only when that expires, the player can play again.
    You can even make it a mini game to be sure they stay in front of the screen.

The purpose of the game is to be fun.
    Else players leave the game completely in such places and after a few months if they have a tentative to return, they may log out again and never return.

If the premise is that the player caused unfun / grief to other players, then the game should prevent that somehow. For the time being, the mechanics which will do that are the corruption and the bounty hunters.
    The problem is that no matter how the corruption is balanced (or your rule to send them to the prison island), some will complain that is either too harsh or to lenient. What do you do then? You tell players to find another game?

The biggest weakness of the corruption system and such algorithms is that they assume players are the same and Steven can find a magic number to balance the game well. What if the player being hunted and killed was having fun himself too? What if he was actually friend with the hunter and they agreed to this activity?

Pain threshold
    The intensity at which a stimulus begins to evoke pain varies from individual to individual and for a given individual over time.

I think Steven realized this and will make the corruption strong enough so the game will feel like a PvE game and adds these deep ocean and treasure hunting auto flag PvP areas. Then players will decide how they feel and if they want to enter or not.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    The biggest weakness of the corruption system and such algorithms is that they assume players are the same and Steven can find a magic number to balance the game well. What if the player being hunted and killed was having fun himself too? What if he was actually friend with the hunter and they agreed to this activity?

This is a great point---I'm not one to rage during pvp, myself. I could sit through multiple losing battlegrounds and not lose my shit. I realize not everyone is like that though...so I guess people like us just need to be flagged as a combatant in the different zones.

There's something about arenas and mechanics like them that are just so sterile and staged. The biggest thrills come from world pvp...on the giving and receiving end
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    If both players want to fight with no corruption, all they have to do is hit one another and they are willing combatants that do not gain corruption. This is regardless of who hit first or who dies or even level differences.

• Options
    If both players want to fight with no corruption, all they have to do is hit one another and they are willing combatants that do not gain corruption. This is regardless of who hit first or who dies or even level differences.

So you say that opt-in PvP is better?
    Your argument is what is used on New World forums too: "If you want pvp just set the flag on"
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It'd be funny if outlaws got a floating island that drifts around at sea randomly. so you can never find it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's not the same as New World.
    In New World, if I opt-out, other players cannot attack me at all.
    In Ashes, I can't opt-out of being attacked by other players. I can choose to become a Combatant if I want to halve the death penalties and/or not give my attacker Corruption.

People who want to have fun with PvP against friends will probably hang out on the Open Seas.
    Also, there are Caravans, Castle Sieges and Node Sieges.
  • Options
    I can imagine lots of players wanting to explore and find out the experience on the island, so it should bring enough penalty to disincentivize hordes of players being drawn too it. Maybe no level progression while being on the island.

If you want to prevent PvP with boredom, why work so much, to implement an island and boring quests?
    You can just make a black screen with a counter and only when that expires, the player can play again.

Else players leave the game completely in such places and after a few months if they have a tentative to return, they may log out again and never return.

If the premise is that the player caused unfun / grief to other players, then the game should prevent that somehow. For the time being, the mechanics which will do that are the corruption and the bounty hunters.
    The problem is that no matter how the corruption is balanced (or your rule to send them to the prison island), some will complain that is either too harsh or to lenient. What do you do then? You tell players to find another game?

Pain threshold
    The intensity at which a stimulus begins to evoke pain varies from individual to individual and for a given individual over time.

I think Steven realized this and will make the corruption strong enough so the game will feel like a PvE game and adds these deep ocean and treasure hunting auto flag PvP areas. Then players will decide how they feel and if they want to enter or not.

Unfortunately, a whole lot of assumptions that I believe I didn't hinted too. A shame for the amount of words you put into it. Why not at least try a bit more to understand the idea? Maybe asking if you're not sure. For your info, it doesnt feel good to me if you trash the idea like this, especially noting you made multiple faulty assumptions reflecting an unwillingness to even trying to understand. Do with it as you will; and you will I can imagine.
    Btw, I don't get what you mean with corruption balancing being a problem because all players are treated the same within the algorithm. Isn't it so that if friends would want to pvp they could both flag for it; formally in-game agree? On the other side; whilst someone grieving will become corrupted, the player unwantingly being attacked wil not isn't it? I don't see how the already proposed corruption system treats players the same way. Also, imo there will always be players not liking a game and leaving. More the norm than a problem I believe. In the end, the game will be what it will be; ultimately decided on by Steven and the Intrepid team. Like Steven said; it isnt going to be for everyone anyways. I really already like the corruption system as it was presented and was only sharing some idea/fantasy on maybe how it could be expanded by adding some lore/depth to corruption mechanics.
  • Options
    granthor wrote: »
    Based on my time in the game UO, aka Ultima Online, where you had a PKer system where you went from grey to red. Grey being your open to attacks cause you killed someone or stole from someone, too red where you are just a killer, and you can enter any towns without being killed by guards.

Not sure if this topic was talked about, but I was thinking, why not have a town for the killers?

If not a town, then a caravan type, one they can be setup in hidden locations, and can grown to a level 2 or 3 only. This town needs to be one that can be taken down, and could be relocated to a different hidden location. One only known by a few PKers. A safe place for them to call home, and where they can sell or buy goods as needed.

Think of it as an outlaw town, one that could be moved after a day or two. A few tents and shacks and this can be a nice place for the villain type players. What do you think? Of course these type of camp towns wouldn't be allowed to be setup close to regular ones.

This is just a though, one I am floating out there, to see if others like it or not.

So what do you think? Please express yourself.

I think yes! Great idea. Certain perks and risks for people in that town but yes.

• Options

Pain threshold

Unfortunately, a whole lot of assumptions that I believe I didn't hinted too. A shame for the amount of words you put into it. Why not at least try a bit more to understand the idea? Maybe asking if you're not sure. For your info, it doesnt feel good to me if you trash the idea like this, especially noting you made multiple faulty assumptions reflecting an unwillingness to even trying to understand. Do with it as you will; and you will I can imagine.
    My answer was not meant to hurt you. Sorry if I did that.
    Btw, I don't get what you mean with corruption balancing being a problem because all players are treated the same within the algorithm.
    I mean that for me it is important to have potential enemies around me who might attack and kill me. It will not bother me and I am looking forward to those encounters. I cannot say if I will always fight back. Depends on circumstances and mood, how tired I am etc. But I do not want my attacker to be sent to a prison (island or not) as a punishment.
    I imagine for other players want that and will feel good to put an instant punishment upon the attacker.
    That is what I mean. Not everybody wants that.
    I don't want the attackers to be punished because then they will not attack anymore and then the game becomes a PvE game.
    I don't want a PvE game with potential PvP which nobody uses.
    Isn't it so that if friends would want to pvp they could both flag for it; formally in-game agree?
    Yes that is the opt-in flagging which exist in New World too.
    That is not a risk. It is a decision, a voluntary agreement.
    I want to be attacked against my will, even when I do not expect it.
    On the other side; whilst someone grieving will become corrupted, the player unwantingly being attacked wil not isn't it? I don't see how the already proposed corruption system treats players the same way.
    Also, imo there will always be players not liking a game and leaving. More the norm than a problem I believe. In the end, the game will be what it will be; ultimately decided on by Steven and the Intrepid team. Like Steven said; it isnt going to be for everyone anyways. I really already like the corruption system as it was presented and was only sharing some idea/fantasy on maybe how it could be expanded by adding some lore/depth to corruption mechanics.
    I understood your idea. You could improve it by adding as condition the bounty hunter. The possibility to be sent to that island could happen when the BH defeats the corrupted player.
    Sending the corrupted away before that, takes the job and the potential reward of the BH away.
    But if the BH got the items of the corrupted player, then why punish that player further?
  • Options
    I don't want a PvE game with potential PvP which nobody uses.

second that!
  • Options
    I want to be attacked against my will, even when I do not expect it.

OK. I just need what your PC's name will be, and the server you will play on

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023

Your argument is what is used on New World forums too: "If you want pvp just set the flag on"

I was actually responding to the specific statement "What if the player being hunted and killed was having fun himself too? What if he was actually friend with the hunter and they agreed to this activity?" to point out that those players are uninhibited from fighting one another by Ashes always on PVP and corruption system.
  • Options

I was actually responding to the specific statement "What if the player being hunted and killed was having fun himself too? What if he was actually friend with the hunter and they agreed to this activity?" to point out that those players are uninhibited from fighting one another by Ashes always on PVP and corruption system.

I hope they add more auto flagged pvp areas on land too. And zones where the corruption penalties are half from what we normally have near cities.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited January 2023
    Atama wrote: »
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Toxic gameplay, which PKing is, will make people not want to play the game. So corruption discourages that behavior.

PKing isn't toxic. It's repeatedly PKing for no reason other than to grief someone that is toxic. The corruption system is there to make us consider whether it's worth it to PK someone rather than just PKing everyone for no reason.

As a way to play a game, it's toxic. If you do it now and then (as AoC's corruption system will probably restrict how often you can get away with it) it is fine. If you play a game just to attack people who aren't interested in PvP or have no chance in a fight, you are a toxic player. Anyone who wants to play a game who removes that restriction is someone who wants to engage in toxic play, and it's no surprise those kinds of games don't last.

I cant read your mind. how I'm I supposed to know you don't want to pvp until I attack you? what if I just rng crit and 1 shot you? how I'm I supposed to know you had no chance until we fight? what about a castle siege, should we not steam roll our opponents because they have no chance of winning and that's toxic? i also don't consent you attacking me while I'm transporting goods using the caravan system, because I don't want to pvp. you are toxic!

what about me running towards a tree or a mining node and you teleporting and taking it away from me? i didn't consent to that. toxic! or you coming to where I'm gaming with a ranged character and killing the mobs before my tank can get close and kill them. that's griefing!!!! toxiccc

what if I'm playing league and I have a weak early jungler. you invading me with lee sin and killing me is toxic cuz I have no chance!!!
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Toxic gameplay, which PKing is, will make people not want to play the game. So corruption discourages that behavior.

PKing isn't toxic. It's repeatedly PKing for no reason other than to grief someone that is toxic. The corruption system is there to make us consider whether it's worth it to PK someone rather than just PKing everyone for no reason.

As a way to play a game, it's toxic. If you do it now and then (as AoC's corruption system will probably restrict how often you can get away with it) it is fine. If you play a game just to attack people who aren't interested in PvP or have no chance in a fight, you are a toxic player. Anyone who wants to play a game who removes that restriction is someone who wants to engage in toxic play, and it's no surprise those kinds of games don't last.

I cant read your mind. how I'm I supposed to know you don't want to pvp until I attack you? what if I just rng crit and 1 shot you? how I'm I supposed to know you had no chance until we fight? what about a castle siege, should we not steam roll our opponents because they have no chance of winning and that's toxic? i also don't consent you attacking me while I'm transporting goods using the caravan system, because I don't want to pvp. you are toxic!

what about me running towards a tree or a mining node and you teleporting and taking it away from me? i didn't consent to that. toxic! or you coming to where I'm gaming with a ranged character and killing the mobs before my tank can get close and kill them. that's griefing!!!! toxiccc

what if I'm playing league and I have a weak early jungler. you invading me with lee sin and killing me is toxic cuz I have no chance!!!

I believe you are missing the point. The people who would be considered toxic in this scenario would be the pkers. If your killing a green who clearly isn't trying to fight back then you have made a choice and there are consequences for such choices.

1. You know someone doesn't want to pvp when you realize after a few attacks they aren't fighting back. Time to kill is 30-60 secs. More than enough time to assess if someone wants to do battle.
    2. A castle siege isn't toxic. It's pvp with consent. The castle owner knows there is a chance for them to be attacked. They enjoy this gameplay so they engage in it.
    3. The caravan system is designed with the expectation that pvp will occur around it. It's corruption free pvp which obviously means its an intended pvp zone.
    4. If you and I both want to gather the same resource node then it's first come first serve. Simple as that.
    5. If you kill the mobs b4 your tank gets there.... how is that toxic? U probably have some good dps. Good job.
    6. In league, being invaded early is always a potential. If you want to win then you should use a more fitting jungler or have a plan in mind to deal with potential early invades.

Having a town for pkers will hurt the game more than help it. You should have to look over your shoulder every second if you choose to pk a green. You made the choice, no one forced you to. The system is built around risk vs reward. There is no risk if you have a hideout you can't immediately run to after murdering someone to bank your goods.
  • Options
    Potentially I can see someone setting up a PK friendly tavern/freehold, if the game lets the owners set permission for corrupted players to interact with any NPCs.

However, the location would soon be known, and the place would be swarming with bounty hunters and green players hoping to get an item drop.

And that's really the thing here, it just won't work with the current system to have a PK friendly town, and I don't really want the system to change. At least not before it's been tested.
  • Options
    Jhoren wrote: »
    Potentially I can see someone setting up a PK friendly tavern/freehold, if the game lets the owners set permission for corrupted players to interact with any NPCs.

However, the location would soon be known, and the place would be swarming with bounty hunters and green players hoping to get an item drop.

And that's really the thing here, it just won't work with the current system to have a PK friendly town, and I don't really want the system to change. At least not before it's been tested.

There was an arena looking cosmetic in one of the cosmetic pack for freehold buildings so yeah you will most likely get an arena option to build
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Still like the idea of micro areas/places on the map a pk`er can lurk in that is not on the BH`s map.

Like the troll in three billy goat`s gruff! Under a bridge off the map, in a small cave off the map.

Not a lot of places but perhaps a few places scattered across the map, just to provide a bit of spice!
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Still like the idea of micro areas/places on the map a pk`er can lurk in that is not on the BH`s map.

Like the troll in three billy goat`s gruff! Under a bridge off the map, in a small cave off the map.

Not a lot of places but perhaps a few places scattered across the map, just to provide a bit of spice!

I like the idea too.
    But let's reduce the number of these to very low. Choose a number. 13 ?
    Then to be usable by only one player and only if it is known by that player. That means, if another player would notice him entering, a message would be shown to him that the secret was discovered and it would become visible to bounty hunters too. Such a discovered entrance would vanish once the player would leave.

Alternatively, attempting to enter while other players look toward that place would destroy the entrance without any message. Nobody would know that there was something there except the player who initially discovered and used it.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter

the underworld.

On the map, for all we know it may show the player, the BH arrives and realizes you're underground now.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »

the underworld.

On the map, for all we know it may show the player, the BH arrives and realizes you're underground now.

Oooo that'd be really cool if Bounty Hunters couldn't track corrupted in the underrealm, assuming the underrealm is small enough to be searched by a bunch of bounty hunters manually. But honestly I think this wouldn't be very necessary due to corrupted being able to flee to the ocean.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

the underworld.

Oooo that'd be really cool if Bounty Hunters couldn't track corrupted in the underrealm, assuming the underrealm is small enough to be searched by a bunch of bounty hunters manually. But honestly I think this wouldn't be very necessary due to corrupted being able to flee to the ocean.

Corrupted entering the ocean would not make them safe or less corrupted. They wouldn't start fighting without penalties just because they are there, isn't it?
  • Options
    Pretty sure that we will be able to tell that our PvP target is far enough below our level(s) that a 1 shot is possible. Might want to seek out a fairer fight.
    One PK should be a fairly low Corruption Score - and relatively quick and easy to get rid of.
    Mistakes happen.

I don't think 1-shotting another player can be accidental, though.
  • Options

the underworld.

To make the underworld a place where corrupted players can escape would be a bigger game design change than making the oceans auto-flag.
    If corrupted players get a safe place then the game must ensure that the corruption gets more difficult to remove if the benefits of safety is used and that they cannot leave that safe place for long time to clean the corruption. This would ensure that the game remains fair for non-combatants even if bounty hunters fail to do their job.

Also the OP request to have tents, shacks or even a full town for PK-ers would also need game mechanics to prevent the PK-ers kill each other.

But such a change would create a faction. The corrupted faction.
    I know the wiki say there will be no factions and while the concept is interesting, the reason to have no factions is because each node with it's citizens is actually a faction.

If the game is balanced well, fighting against other nodes will always be possible and no pk faction is needed.
    If a general peace between all 85 nodes is stable for long time, then the balancing failed.

There is so much focus that a PK-er might kill a non-combatant and how we protect them but actually if the node or alliance is at war, they have to fight.
  • Options
    Can we stop arguing about that? No, it's a rubbish idea.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    I think people are misunderstanding my point.

Corrupted player is marked on the Bounty Hunter map.

The corrupted player flees to the underground. We know the under realm are node large sizes. Multiple entrance.

The Bounty Hunter see's a dot on the mini-map and proceeds to go to it. HOWEVER the map doesn't tell him if the Corrupted player is above or underground. So when BH arrives - he quickly realize, that SoB is in the under realm. He can still proceed to chase him and go down there to kill him. BUT BY NO MEANS PROTECTING or giving a safe space to PKer.

All the under realm does, perhaps is buy them some time, as the mini-map can not determine if the player is located above or below you.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.
    Sound like a good idea.
    Maybe information on these minimaps could depend on how much the BH advanced on this profession.
  • Options
    I expect we will be able to tell if someone is in the Underrealm - expect there to be something like a mini-map of the Underrealm.
    At the very least, expect it to be similar to the WoW mini-map, where there are markers for whether a target is above or below you or even in-doors.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I expect we will be able to tell if someone is in the Underrealm - expect there to be something like a mini-map of the Underrealm.
    At the very least, expect it to be similar to the WoW mini-map, where there are markers for whether a target is above or below you or even in-doors.

hopefully, but it will probably be like l2, you cant really tell if they are above or below you based on mini map coordinates. however, there are some little tricks that can help you figure it out :D I guess we will see when the game is out
  • Options
    Why would it be like L2??!!??!!