Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should there be an outlaw town for Pkers?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Why would it be like L2??!!??!!

because 80-90% of the game is already like l2??!!??!!
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Expect the tech for Ashes to be more advanced than a game which released 20 years earlier.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited January 2023
    Expect the tech for Ashes to be more advanced than a game which released 20 years earlier.

I'm not talking about the backend and all the invisible systems the players cant see. I'm talking about the front end and all the systems the players can see

allowing people to see wether they are above or below you has nothing to do with the available technology. its a design choice
  • Options
    And I definitely hope Intrepid make a better fucking map. I hate 99% of current maps in games. Why in the hell would you have a shitty map!?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Most shitty maps happen because of fast travel, flight and instances.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    what is a shitty map
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    what is a shitty map
    The one that doesn't show anything properly, doesn't show elevation differences, has no details and looks like shit :)
  • Options
    edited January 2023

I'm not talking about the backend and all the invisible systems the players cant see. I'm talking about the front end and all the systems the players can see

allowing people to see wether they are above or below you has nothing to do with the available technology. its a design choice
    I don't know why you brought up backend.
    Expect the Ashes mini-map to show what is underground since that is possible with modern tech - rather than expecting the minimap to be limited to the tech available when L2 released.
    Makes no sense to have an Underrealm and not be able to track what's there via the mini-map - unless there's no tech to support that feature.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    NiKr wrote: »
    And I definitely hope Intrepid make a better fucking map. I hate 99% of current maps in games. Why in the hell would you have a shitty map!?

honestly - FUCK MAPS... there shouldnt be map. Let me get lost in the world and start memorizing key points.

At the very least - IF WE MUST HAVE MAPS.... let it be a profession - a cartographer. People can sell their maps of what they have explored. It will uncover in your personal Map - BUT it doesnt unlock when you try to sell your map - you still needed to visit it in person to sell a full map.

basically just because you bought 20 maps to unlock the full world, doesnt mean you can get to sell a full world map - Little boarder indication showing what you uncovered vs what you bought. You can only sell what you uncovered, as to keep Cartographers special.

Maps are lootable and decays.

Now we can also do other fun things with cartographers
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54327/surveying-and-or-cartography-can-we-create-this-as-a-profession#latest

but in the end - I am in favor of no map. Make Landmarks important.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    honestly - FUCK MAPS... there shouldnt be map. Let me get lost in the world and start memorizing key points.

At the very least - IF WE MUST HAVE MAPS.... let it be a profession - a cartographer. People can sell their maps of what they have explored. It will uncover in your personal Map - BUT it doesnt unlock when you try to sell your map - you still needed to visit it in person to sell a full map.

basically just because you bought 20 maps to unlock the full world, doesnt mean you can get to sell a full world map - Little boarder indication showing what you uncovered vs what you bought. You can only sell what you uncovered, as to keep Cartographers special.

Maps are lootable and decays.

Now we can also do other fun things with cartographers
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54327/surveying-and-or-cartography-can-we-create-this-as-a-profession#latest
    but in the end - I am in favor of no map. Make Landmarks important.
    Yes, I'd love this too, but still as long as the map that I get from a cartographer looks great. We'll have magic, summons and we've already seen the dreadful YELLOW HAMMER. All of those things mean that people can create visual illusions. Make cartographers a fucking 3d mapping tool and make their maps a magic projector rather than just a piece of paper.

In other words, do better.
  • Options

I don't know why you brought up backend.
    Expect the Ashes mini-map to show what is underground since that is possible with modern tech - rather than expecting the minimap to be limited to the tech available when L2 released.
    Makes no sense to have an Underrealm and not be able to track what's there via the mini-map - unless there's no tech to support that feature.

Part of me really enjoyed the SWG approach where you could find/see the cave/underrealm entrance and then the map populated when you entered. Now again this is 20 yr old tech so I'd expect it to be better but I liked the "direction" of that a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yes. I expect it will at least be that.
    And very likely better.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited January 2023
    This is maybe the 4th or 5th thread on this over the years. Corruption is not meant to be a reward. It is a punishment. All stick, no carrot is what they have sold it as to those coming into the game worried about non-consensual pvp. If they start changing it for niche players and cut the nuts off the punishment aspect, then it will go poorly as it has in other places.

There obviously has to be SOME carrot for corruption, other wise they'd just remove the ability to attack Greens altogether. The "carrot" being - "Hey, you want this farming spot all to yourself? Is the extra experience you'll get by killing them worth being corrupted to you? Then go for it!"

The "no carrot" argument is that there won't be a deliberate incentive to being corrupted, but that doesn't mean the players can't make their own incentives based on their own risk/reward tolerance.

With that said - I'm totally on board with the corrupted players of any given server coming to an agreement to use one of the nodes as a "safe haven" for corrupted players. In game rules would permit anyone to attack and kill each other. They would only be governed by their own trust in one another. That would probably require Town Guards be entirely decided by the mayor and paid for by taxes. A "corrupted node" would have to forgo any guards as they'd immediately start attacking everyone. Not having any guards is also one of the risks the node would have to incur. If there are any open world events where a node is raided, the players would be wholly responsible for defending it. Bounty Hunters would also know exactly where to hang out and collect bounties. These all sound like perfectly reasonable trade-offs if there's enough corrupted players on a server to maintain a corrupted node.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    what is a shitty map
    The one that doesn't show anything properly, doesn't show elevation differences, has no details and looks like shit :)

Would you like a 4D map? :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Would you like a 4D map? :smile:
    Definitely would B)
  • Options
    This is maybe the 4th or 5th thread on this over the years. Corruption is not meant to be a reward. It is a punishment. All stick, no carrot is what they have sold it as to those coming into the game worried about non-consensual pvp. If they start changing it for niche players and cut the nuts off the punishment aspect, then it will go poorly as it has in other places.

There obviously has to be SOME carrot for corruption, other wise they'd just remove the ability to attack Greens altogether. The "carrot" being - "Hey, you want this farming spot all to yourself? Is the extra experience you'll get by killing them worth being corrupted to you? Then go for it!"

The "no carrot" argument is that there won't be a deliberate incentive to being corrupted, but that doesn't mean the players can't make their own incentives based on their own risk/reward tolerance.

With that said - I'm totally on board with the corrupted players of any given server coming to an agreement to use one of the nodes as a "safe haven" for corrupted players. In game rules would permit anyone to attack and kill each other. They would only be governed by their own trust in one another. That would probably require Town Guards be entirely decided by the mayor and paid for by taxes. A "corrupted node" would have to forgo any guards as they'd immediately start attacking everyone. Not having any guards is also one of the risks the node would have to incur. If there are any open world events where a node is raided, the players would be wholly responsible for defending it. Bounty Hunters would also know exactly where to hang out and collect bounties. These all sound like perfectly reasonable trade-offs if there's enough corrupted players on a server to maintain a corrupted node.

"They would only be governed by their own trust in one another" - The game is not made for such a concept.

The carrot is the loot if the attacker sees and knows for sure that the other player has valuable resources.
    Also the entire philosophy, the conflicts between the nodes, would be very rigid with peaceful players. Therefore the corruption gently introduces players to combat, if they are open to accept it. The others are pushed away to protect the game. Of course the game could be changed but then it would face a big competition with the similar mmos.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    No.Why are almost all of you pve creeps? the same rogue class is intended for murder, robbery and sabotage, not only outside the city, but also in it. And then what is the use of its game bonuses?